iTunes question ripping a CD

My daughter got a couple of CDs for Christmas, and she recently found her iPod cable. So of course, she asked me to help her rip the CDs to her iPod (after which time both discs will undoubtedly migrate to the mysterious depths of under-her-bed-Land.

So I fire up my desktop (which has her iTunes library on its HD) and put the first disc in the drive. An automatic box pops up and asks if I want to import to the tracks to iTunes, and I say “yeah, sure.”

So, after about an hour iTunes has imported about twenty minutes worth of music. Is this normal for iTunes (extra data: for the past hour I’ve also been listening to a different album on Windows Media Player)?

I have imported some 9,000 tracks into ITunes from CDs and it has rarely taken more than a few minutes to do a full album, even if I have been listening to something else.

Try disabling error correction. I’m not sure where that is in the Windows version, but on my Mac it’s in iTunes Preferences / General / Import Settings.

As acsenray says, it should take minutes to import a CD, not hours, even on a slow computer.

Error correction is already off. There’s a message indicating that it’s importing at 1.0X. When I was listening to the album, it indicated 0.5X.

Should I try toggling error correction on then back off?

Dumb question, I guess. I’ll just try it.

Nope. No change.

What computer are you using?

Are you using the latest version of iTunes?
And have you tried ripping one of the other CDs?

Pentium III, Windows XP home edition version 2002 service pack 3.

Drive is a Plextor CD-R PX-W5224A

iTunes ver. 9.2.1.5

Oh.
Well, I’m really only qualified to help Mac users, but isn’t a Pentium III, ummm… ancient?

There is definitely something wrong. Even on my slowest computer, importing a full album takes 6-7 minutes. What’s your processor speed? How much RAM do you have? These both affect the speed.