Slamming doors and other hotel annoyances.

Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with people? They lose their minds just because they are staying at a hotel. I spend ~1.5-2wks each month in various hotels and they are all the same. About 8-9pm when the airlines have cancelled flights and start shipping travelers off to the local hotels all I can hear is doors being slammed when people constantly go in and out of their rooms. I don’t just mean I can hear the doors closing. I mean shit in the room shakes by how violently they slam them. It’s as close to road rage as I can get without being in a vehicle. I want to run out in the hallway and fishhook the fuckers.

And when they get in after 9pm they are oblivious to the fact that people may be sleeping or winding down and are as loud as fuck up and down the hallways. I routinely have families or groups of people standing in the hallway talking about where they should eat and what may be open, as loud as they can, right in front of mine and other peoples doors. I know 9pm may not be late at your house but you aren’t at your house so try to be mindful of the other paying customers who surround you and just want to unwind/sleep after a long day at their shitty jobs.

Then, if I end up in one of the dreaded rooms with a connecting door between them, I get to listen to them fuck around with the TV and talking at full volume until midnight.

I hate to say it but, the sad truth is that, Japanese tourists are the worst offenders, at least around LAX where I spend all of my hotel time. I used to avoid Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza because for some reason those are the favorites of the Japanese tourist industry but now that I use Hotwire to save money I don’t get to choose.

Any other hotel behavior annoyances you can think of?

We usually stay in motels, and we get up when we have to to check out - it drives me crazy when everyone starts the door slamming (and you’re totally right about that) and the motor revving at the asscrack of dawn. Nothing like a loud truck shaking the windows of your room at that hour.

We had to stay in a hotel that also was hosting a high school or junior high school sports team. Much slamming of doors, much running up and down the hallway, and much yelling in the hallway AND in the rooms at all hours of the night. Now, I can easily sleep through quite a bit of noise, but poor Bill had a very hard time.

Guilty look. I ride with a group and we do tend to stand outside while drinking and smoking. In our defense, when we make our reservations, we warn them that we are noisy and they should put all of us in the same area so we only wake each other up. Some places are really good about putting 30+ Harley’s in the same parking lot, other places just scatter us all around. So, if you were staying in the same motel as we were, I’m sorry. Please blame whoever was idiotic enough to scatter us around after being warned well in advance. I’m also sorry for the bikes starting early in the morning. If the motel people had actually listened to us and put us all together, we would have only woken up the ones who were in our group.

Again, in our defense, the motel was warned in advance. We asked to be put in one area. We told them that we were going to be riding in and out all night. We go to Motel 6 and what not, we don’t go to high end places. Whoever made the room assignments thought that having 30+ Harley riders staying for one or two nights was more important than your individual rooms.

Some of the places we frequent do remember and put us together. Besides the noise, we are good customers, we don’t complain about the room rates, we tip well, we clean up the picnic area, and we are welcoming to anyone who wants to talk to us and share the beer. Other places don’t seem to care at all.

So, I’m sorry. Not so sorry that I will stop doing those events. Not even sorry enough to try to keep them quiet and make the start times at decent hours for normal people.

We make our reservations 4 to 6 months in advance. That should be enough time for the motel people to block out the rooms for self proclaimed noisy people. It shouldn’t be that hard, but it seems to be on a regular basis.

“Hey, we asked them to put all of us selfish jerkoffs in the same place, but they didn’t, so whaddayagonnado?”

Look, asshole, just because you request to be placed all together doesn’t automatically negate your obligation to be courteous and considerate of other guests. If they put you in different parts of the hotel, then do your socializing somewhere that people aren’t trying to sleep, like maybe the hotel bar or a nearby pub.

The worst offenders are wedding guests,they are door slammers, loud talkers, crying fighting cussing yelling. I once complained at 1 am to the front desk,after I actually confronted my hallmates who told me to piss off. Seems we were the only non wedding guests in that hall. The FD very snarkily asked me If I wanted to move my room! yeah Im guessing it was their special room tucked away on the ground floor stuck betweent the elevator the pool and the restaurant. I very snarkily told her she should move the wedding party to another building as they were still up and at 'em.

We had a 6am departure, i slammed my door and bounced my luggage and called out to the hubby down the hall, successfully waking up the yappy drunk FIB’s.

You’ve not lived until you’ve been woken up in a Chinese hotel by the sound of all the guests apparently hawking stuff up at the same time in the morning.

Careful there, Professor, you could find yourself putting on a pair of platform shoes and dancing to “Tequila” on top of a bar…

The same thing happens in campgrounds (except for the door-slamming part). Tent camping partiers show up late, get set up, and then drink and play music until all hours. In the past I’ve gotten even by departing at about 0700, leaning on the horn as I pass the offending campsite. How’s that hangover workin’ for ya? You also have the requisite barking dogs and squalling brats to listen to, but that’s just life in a campground, and most people put it to bed by 10 or 11. We try to choose campgrounds that have a park host who can tell revelers to knock off the bullshit.

Hey, who says i haven’t done that? But i do it in appropriate places. :slight_smile:

I have a rather loud voice, and if i were to talk in my normal voice in a hotel corridor late at night, i’d probably wake people up. But i try to be conscious of other people, and moderate my voice to suit the situation. That’s all i ask of others.

Hotels seem to weight there doors so that they’ll close heavily with even a light nudge, I think its so that people won’t leave the door slightly open by mistake. If your not used to it, its pretty easy to end up slamming the door.

Of course that doesn’t excuse loud talking in the hall or turning your TV all the way up, etc.

You get what you pay for. If you booked a presidential suite at a five star hotel, you wouldn’t hear any doors slamming. But not everyone has the luxury of doing that, so you’re just going to have to seethe quietly while slumming it in the flea holes. Sorry.

Yep. I had a night where Journey was playing from some asshole’s tent quite loud until at least 2:00 a.m. To this day, any Journey song sends me into an uncontrollable rage.

Hey man, who’s crying now? It’s all part of that big wheel in the sky, so don’t stop believin’ and be good to yourself.

Yep.

A few years ago I stayed in a place where I was the only one not in the wedding party. They’d all come home at 9 or 10 every night, no doubt a bit buzzed, and I’d be treated to about 30 minutes of noise. I had the audacity to ask two people to be quiet when they were having a conversation across the parking lot.

Last year I stayed at the same place, and was invited to join some people on the deck to help drink their wine. I’m sure we got pretty loud, but at least the closest rooms to us were mine and theirs.

Other people suck, is what it boils down to. Hotels are dorms, and you just can’t escape that. I have kids that argue and jump on the beds, etc. I try to hush them as best I can, but short of being cruel, there’s not so much I can do.

I ditto **Simplicio on the door thing. **I don’t know whether it’s sometimes intentional or not, but the effect is the same.

Staying in a hotel has kind of gone the way of flying. What used to be an elegant excursion has become a Greyhound bus-type experience.

Yep. If you stay on the cheap, you are going to get this sort of behavior from your neighbors. Spring for a decent hotel and it gets a lot quieter.

If you all really want an enlightening experience, visit Europe during August. You haven’t heard loud and obnoxious until you have a party of Germans outside your hotel room. And they’d rather just kick your ass than shut the fuck up.

Just don’t mention the war.

If I want to hang out with German and Japanese tourists, I’ll just go to Banff. :slight_smile: