The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 PM

Slamming doors and other hotel annoyances.

Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with people? They lose their minds just because they are staying at a hotel. I spend ~1.5-2wks each month in various hotels and they are all the same. About 8-9pm when the airlines have cancelled flights and start shipping travelers off to the local hotels all I can hear is doors being slammed when people constantly go in and out of their rooms. I don't just mean I can hear the doors closing. I mean shit in the room shakes by how violently they slam them. It's as close to road rage as I can get without being in a vehicle. I want to run out in the hallway and fishhook the fuckers.

And when they get in after 9pm they are oblivious to the fact that people may be sleeping or winding down and are as loud as fuck up and down the hallways. I routinely have families or groups of people standing in the hallway talking about where they should eat and what may be open, as loud as they can, right in front of mine and other peoples doors. I know 9pm may not be late at your house but you aren't at your house so try to be mindful of the other paying customers who surround you and just want to unwind/sleep after a long day at their shitty jobs.

Then, if I end up in one of the dreaded rooms with a connecting door between them, I get to listen to them fuck around with the TV and talking at full volume until midnight.

I hate to say it but, the sad truth is that, Japanese tourists are the worst offenders, at least around LAX where I spend all of my hotel time. I used to avoid Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza because for some reason those are the favorites of the Japanese tourist industry but now that I use Hotwire to save money I don't get to choose.

Any other hotel behavior annoyances you can think of?
Advertisements  
Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

We usually stay in motels, and we get up when we have to to check out - it drives me crazy when everyone starts the door slamming (and you're totally right about that) and the motor revving at the asscrack of dawn. Nothing like a loud truck shaking the windows of your room at that hour.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:40 AM
Creature of the Night

We had to stay in a hotel that also was hosting a high school or junior high school sports team. Much slamming of doors, much running up and down the hallway, and much yelling in the hallway AND in the rooms at all hours of the night. Now, I can easily sleep through quite a bit of noise, but poor Bill had a very hard time.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:30 AM

Guilty look. I ride with a group and we do tend to stand outside while drinking and smoking. In our defense, when we make our reservations, we warn them that we are noisy and they should put all of us in the same area so we only wake each other up. Some places are really good about putting 30+ Harley's in the same parking lot, other places just scatter us all around. So, if you were staying in the same motel as we were, I'm sorry. Please blame whoever was idiotic enough to scatter us around after being warned well in advance. I'm also sorry for the bikes starting early in the morning. If the motel people had actually listened to us and put us all together, we would have only woken up the ones who were in our group.

Again, in our defense, the motel was warned in advance. We asked to be put in one area. We told them that we were going to be riding in and out all night. We go to Motel 6 and what not, we don't go to high end places. Whoever made the room assignments thought that having 30+ Harley riders staying for one or two nights was more important than your individual rooms.

Some of the places we frequent do remember and put us together. Besides the noise, we are good customers, we don't complain about the room rates, we tip well, we clean up the picnic area, and we are welcoming to anyone who wants to talk to us and share the beer. Other places don't seem to care at all.

So, I'm sorry. Not so sorry that I will stop doing those events. Not even sorry enough to try to keep them quiet and make the start times at decent hours for normal people.

We make our reservations 4 to 6 months in advance. That should be enough time for the motel people to block out the rooms for self proclaimed noisy people. It shouldn't be that hard, but it seems to be on a regular basis.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlined View Post
Guilty look. I ride with a group and we do tend to stand outside while drinking and smoking. In our defense, when we make our reservations, we warn them that we are noisy and they should put all of us in the same area so we only wake each other up. Some places are really good about putting 30+ Harley's in the same parking lot, other places just scatter us all around. So, if you were staying in the same motel as we were, I'm sorry. Please blame whoever was idiotic enough to scatter us around after being warned well in advance.
"Hey, we asked them to put all of us selfish jerkoffs in the same place, but they didn't, so whaddayagonnado?"

Look, asshole, just because you request to be placed all together doesn't automatically negate your obligation to be courteous and considerate of other guests. If they put you in different parts of the hotel, then do your socializing somewhere that people aren't trying to sleep, like maybe the hotel bar or a nearby pub.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

The worst offenders are wedding guests,they are door slammers, loud talkers, crying fighting cussing yelling. I once complained at 1 am to the front desk,after I actually confronted my hallmates who told me to piss off. Seems we were the only non wedding guests in that hall. The FD very snarkily asked me If I wanted to move my room! yeah Im guessing it was their special room tucked away on the ground floor stuck betweent the elevator the pool and the restaurant. I very snarkily told her she should move the wedding party to another building as they were still up and at 'em.

We had a 6am departure, i slammed my door and bounced my luggage and called out to the hubby down the hall, successfully waking up the yappy drunk FIB's.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Elephant Whisperer

You've not lived until you've been woken up in a Chinese hotel by the sound of all the guests apparently hawking stuff up at the same time in the morning.

Last edited by Siam Sam; 05-17-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhendo View Post
"Hey, we asked them to put all of us selfish jerkoffs in the same place, but they didn't, so whaddayagonnado?"

Look, asshole, just because you request to be placed all together doesn't automatically negate your obligation to be courteous and considerate of other guests. If they put you in different parts of the hotel, then do your socializing somewhere that people aren't trying to sleep, like maybe the hotel bar or a nearby pub.
Careful there, Professor, you could find yourself putting on a pair of platform shoes and dancing to "Tequila" on top of a bar...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

The same thing happens in campgrounds (except for the door-slamming part). Tent camping partiers show up late, get set up, and then drink and play music until all hours. In the past I've gotten even by departing at about 0700, leaning on the horn as I pass the offending campsite. How's that hangover workin' for ya? You also have the requisite barking dogs and squalling brats to listen to, but that's just life in a campground, and most people put it to bed by 10 or 11. We try to choose campgrounds that have a park host who can tell revelers to knock off the bullshit.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasdad99 View Post
Careful there, Professor, you could find yourself putting on a pair of platform shoes and dancing to "Tequila" on top of a bar...
Hey, who says i haven't done that? But i do it in appropriate places.

I have a rather loud voice, and if i were to talk in my normal voice in a hotel corridor late at night, i'd probably wake people up. But i try to be conscious of other people, and moderate my voice to suit the situation. That's all i ask of others.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM

Hotels seem to weight there doors so that they'll close heavily with even a light nudge, I think its so that people won't leave the door slightly open by mistake. If your not used to it, its pretty easy to end up slamming the door.

Of course that doesn't excuse loud talking in the hall or turning your TV all the way up, etc.

Last edited by Simplicio; 05-17-2011 at 12:15 PM..
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

You get what you pay for. If you booked a presidential suite at a five star hotel, you wouldn't hear any doors slamming. But not everyone has the luxury of doing that, so you're just going to have to seethe quietly while slumming it in the flea holes. Sorry.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
The same thing happens in campgrounds (except for the door-slamming part). Tent camping partiers show up late, get set up, and then drink and play music until all hours. In the past I've gotten even by departing at about 0700, leaning on the horn as I pass the offending campsite. How's that hangover workin' for ya? You also have the requisite barking dogs and squalling brats to listen to, but that's just life in a campground, and most people put it to bed by 10 or 11. We try to choose campgrounds that have a park host who can tell revelers to knock off the bullshit.
Yep. I had a night where Journey was playing from some asshole's tent quite loud until at least 2:00 a.m. To this day, any Journey song sends me into an uncontrollable rage.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Yep. I had a night where Journey was playing from some asshole's tent quite loud until at least 2:00 a.m. To this day, any Journey song sends me into an uncontrollable rage.
Hey man, who's crying now? It's all part of that big wheel in the sky, so don't stop believin' and be good to yourself.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
The worst offenders are wedding guests,they are door slammers, loud talkers, crying fighting cussing yelling.
Yep.

A few years ago I stayed in a place where I was the only one not in the wedding party. They'd all come home at 9 or 10 every night, no doubt a bit buzzed, and I'd be treated to about 30 minutes of noise. I had the audacity to ask two people to be quiet when they were having a conversation across the parking lot.

Last year I stayed at the same place, and was invited to join some people on the deck to help drink their wine. I'm sure we got pretty loud, but at least the closest rooms to us were mine and theirs.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:38 PM

Other people suck, is what it boils down to. Hotels are dorms, and you just can't escape that. I have kids that argue and jump on the beds, etc. I try to hush them as best I can, but short of being cruel, there's not so much I can do.

I ditto Simplicio on the door thing. I don't know whether it's sometimes intentional or not, but the effect is the same.

Staying in a hotel has kind of gone the way of flying. What used to be an elegant excursion has become a Greyhound bus-type experience.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapefruit View Post
You get what you pay for. If you booked a presidential suite at a five star hotel, you wouldn't hear any doors slamming. But not everyone has the luxury of doing that, so you're just going to have to seethe quietly while slumming it in the flea holes. Sorry.
Yep. If you stay on the cheap, you are going to get this sort of behavior from your neighbors. Spring for a decent hotel and it gets a lot quieter.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

If you all really want an enlightening experience, visit Europe during August. You haven't heard loud and obnoxious until you have a party of Germans outside your hotel room. And they'd rather just kick your ass than shut the fuck up.

Last edited by Chefguy; 05-17-2011 at 02:23 PM..
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Just don't mention the war.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you all really want an enlightening experience, visit Europe during August. You haven't heard loud and obnoxious until you have a party of Germans outside your hotel room. And they'd rather just kick your ass than shut the fuck up.
If I want to hang out with German and Japanese tourists, I'll just go to Banff.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubsfan View Post
Any other hotel behavior annoyances you can think of?
You betcha. I travel the same amount per month. All over North America. Hotel annoyances?

Non Smoking rooms that reek.
Idiots who steal the " Do Not Disturb " door-hang off of my door knob. Fuckers. Sometimes I work late. Last week in Florida, I worked 7:00pm-4:30 am. Had to make sure to tell the front desk when I checked in. TELL HOUSEKEEPING !! No matter what they see on my door knob, do not knock. For any reason.
Poor noise insulation overall. Older hotels are much quieter. New ones are utterly crappy in terms of construction.
Frequently the shower head simply sucks. Speakman, people. Speakman. Brutally harsh streams of water, economical in terms of water flow. A good shower is everything.
Inaccurate or out-dated in-room data on local restaurants, etc. Sure I can use Google on the laptop. Why should I have to?
It's hard working at a service job, especially on overnights. When someone is on their game, I email the corporate offices with an attaboy. If I email about negatives, I should email about positives.
Lack of luggage carts. Please. Be a decent guest. You use the cart? Unless you are facing some kind of personal emergency, take 5 minutes and walk the freaking cart back downstairs. Single exception: Las Vegas. One can easily spend 10-15 minutes walking from their room to the front desk. In this case, leave the luggage cart near the elevator banks.
Do repairs. If the door key cannot open the front door after hours and you are pounding on the door of your hotel, something is wrong. Get things fixed.
Be a decent guest. Hell, be a decent human being. The rest rooms in the lobby are not there for you to explore your defecatory skills. You wouldn't spread human waste all over your home bathroom, would you? Why in the world would you wreck a public rest room?
If you work the front desk and your motel only has a single wireless router with no amplifiers or repeaters, you know damned well which rooms suck for internet. If a guest is staying in your hotel to get work done instead of using your hotel to be a tourist, have a heart. When they come down to ask if there are rooms that have good wireless, tell them and shift their room without bitching. You go through this every day. When someone is checking in and asks for the wireless access code, put them somewhere where they can do their work.
Most chain hotels now allow guests to keep their towels for the duration of their stay. All should. If yours doesn't, start the program.

And so on....
Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Ah, the internet routers. They don't cost all that much - spring for a couple more and get some coverage over the whole damned place, would you?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Again, in our defense, the motel was warned in advance. We asked to be put in one area. We told them that we were going to be riding in and out all night. We go to Motel 6 and what not, we don't go to high end places. Whoever made the room assignments thought that having 30+ Harley riders staying for one or two nights was more important than your individual rooms.
If you are making your reservations online, you need to call the individual motel and tell them that you are going to be a party of 30+ bikers and it would be a good idea to put you all together, some place away from other guests. I've found that special requests on the online booking site are useless.

That said, I've stayed in plenty of places at the same time as a group of bikers, and they are far less trouble than many other groups! Girls sports teams - shudder...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, but you put 30 bikers on the same hall as, say, the Pepperdine women's volleyball team and hooooooo boy.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I was working on a project in eastern Utah during the natural gas boom. It was a small town (Duschene) with only a couple of hotels. The lobby was full of Texas roughnecks and the parking lot was filled with work vehicles of varying sizes. As evening approached, I was shocked at how quiet it was. I went to sleep easily. Around 3 AM, suddenly all the doors started opening and banging shut. Then, the entire parking lot started up at the same time. The building was actually shaking, and the noise was deafening. It was a shift change in the gas fields. Soon all the vehicles left and just as I was falling back to sleep, the workers who had just been relieved arrived and the whole thing repeated itself.

I ended up staying in a fleabag motel 20 miles away just so I could sleep.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Yep.

A few years ago I stayed in a place where I was the only one not in the wedding party. They'd all come home at 9 or 10 every night, no doubt a bit buzzed, and I'd be treated to about 30 minutes of noise. I had the audacity to ask two people to be quiet when they were having a conversation across the parking lot.
People out until half past ten at night? The horror!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

I love the hotels which have enough wattage focused on their parking lots and building to be seen from space. Ah, well, at least the glow allows me to see my way across the room at 3am if I need to read something 10 feet away.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM

Then there was the motel about a mile off the highway in bumfuck Wyoming that was mostly filled to the gills when I arrived at about midnight.

At about 3am the world's longest and loudest train took about 5 minutes to saunter past the place. Half of us were outside going "what the fuck?" as it passed right outside the fence across the narrow parking lot from the motel.

At 3:20am we got a repeat performace.

Then another one at 5am.

I just got up at that point, cleaned up, checked out and left.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Arky View Post
Other people suck, is what it boils down to. Hotels are dorms, and you just can't escape that. I have kids that argue and jump on the beds, etc. I try to hush them as best I can, but short of being cruel, there's not so much I can do.
Keep them in your room, and I'll keep my annoyance to myself. I understand that. (At least up until 11 o'clock or so, I'll understand it. ) It's the parents that let the kids use the hallways for track meets and shrieking that irritate the fuck out of me. And the front desks that don't chase the kids back into their rooms.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:29 PM

Oh yeah, kids in the halls, running, slamming doors, screaming.

Should be legal to bag them with blankets and smack the crap out of them.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
I love the hotels which have enough wattage focused on their parking lots and building to be seen from space. Ah, well, at least the glow allows me to see my way across the room at 3am if I need to read something 10 feet away.
And heaven forbid you should have a curtain in your room that actually blocks outside light. Next trip we take, I have to remember to pack some clips to try and get more light-blocking happening (or just go find some nightshades for our eyes).
Old 05-17-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
We make our reservations 4 to 6 months in advance. That should be enough time for the motel people to block out the rooms for self proclaimed noisy people. It shouldn't be that hard, but it seems to be on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, that depends on the hotel/motel's configuration. At the one where I work, all of the king non-smoking rooms are grouped together; all of the double non-smokings are grouped together; all of the smoking rooms are in one building; etc. So if you were staying at our place, your rooms would be scattered all over, unless everyone got together ahead of time to say "yeah, we'll all reserve non-smoking kings." (And that might not be possible anyway, since those rooms might already be booked for another event.) Does someone from your group deal with a sales director or manager to block rooms for your get-togethers? If not, consider it. (And, for the record, I'd much rather have a group of bikers at our hotel than many others that have been mentioned, including sports teams of any age, and - especially - weddings or family reunions.)

As for all of the other crap that guests do at hotels that makes me crazy? The list is too long to mention! (Occupational hazard.) As a clerk, I try to mitigate stuff that makes the guests nuts - put the business travelers in the rooms with halfway okay internet service, put families with kids on the ground floor at multi-floor hotels, on busy nights, check in rooms "sequentially" - so that room 325 isn't asleep already when 326 comes in slamming doors and stuff. On slower nights, I'll check in 323, then 325, then 327. If we're not going to fill up, no sense in everyone having to hear everyone else...
Old 05-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

You guys have not lived until you fly into a city at 10PM and decide to just stop by the office on the way to the hotel, find a problem with some new equipment and wind up working until 2AM.
Go to the hotel fall fast asleep only to have the fire alarm go off at 3:59AM.
It then takes the FD at least 45 minutes to give the all clear so they will turn off the alarm.
At that point say why bother and go have breakfast and go to work.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
You guys have not lived until you fly into a city at 10PM and decide to just stop by the office on the way to the hotel, find a problem with some new equipment and wind up working until 2AM.
Go to the hotel fall fast asleep only to have the fire alarm go off at 3:59AM.
It then takes the FD at least 45 minutes to give the all clear so they will turn off the alarm.
At that point say why bother and go have breakfast and go to work.
You haven't lived until a high-speed chase ends in the ditch in front of the hotel, and police from three agencies are swarming through the property at 3 am, chasing the dude who is now trying to escape on foot...

He made lots of high-pitched girly screams when the officers tazered him. Right next to the 200 building.

(Moral of story? If you're gonna get drunk, sideswipe a police cruiser, try to drive away real fast through three jurisdictions, and then try to get away on foot? Don't. Really.)
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Yep.

Seriously? You're complaining that people came back to the hotel around 9:30pm? That is hardly the middle of the night when most people would be asleep.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
And heaven forbid you should have a curtain in your room that actually blocks outside light. Next trip we take, I have to remember to pack some clips to try and get more light-blocking happening (or just go find some nightshades for our eyes).
Yeah, what the hell is with that, anyway? They seem to always have sheers that reach all the way across, then some kind of bullshit drapes that don't meet in the middle, leaving a 6" to one foot gap. I guess it's so you can admire that merc-vapor streetlight all night long.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:02 AM
Shouting Grasshopper

Just this morning (0430) I was awoken by slamming doors and loud. voices in the hall. After about 10 minutes I decided to get up and see what the commotion was all about, There was a large man standing at the door of the room next door having a conversation with the person inside.

I asked him to keep it down, adding the obvious fact that people were trying to sleep, His reaction: he stepped away from the door, walked up to me and said, "Shut your fucking mouth and go back in your fucking room!"

Did I mention that the man was LARGE? I went back
In my room, put in my earplugs, and once I calmed down, managed to get back to sleep. I've stayed in many hotels over the years, but i've never been threatened by another guest. (this was at a mid-range Best Western in Colorado)
Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 AM

Or some big diesel truck making some sort of delivery to the hotel at 4 in the morning. Of course, they leave the damn truck idling for the 15 minutes the delivery takes.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yeah, what the hell is with that, anyway? They seem to always have sheers that reach all the way across, then some kind of bullshit drapes that don't meet in the middle, leaving a 6" to one foot gap. I guess it's so you can admire that merc-vapor streetlight all night long.
I have to say, all the hotels in Alaska that I stayed in had SERIOUS drapes. Of course, the sun was setting around 11 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:39 AM

The one I could do without is the abuse/rape porn. One of the last times I was in a hotel, the bad quality of the audio was the hint that what I was hearing was probably porn, buuuutttttt...
I asked the front desk and it was a man alone, next room to mine - yeah, yeah, I'm a square, whatever, I'd still rather not be awakened by a woman crying and a man saying "hey, since you're here, you may as well blow me. You better blow me." For some movies, less dialogue is better.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
I always pack extra alligator clips for my hair and use them to keep the curtains closed. That does seem to be the one item I regularly leave behind however.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni View Post
We had to stay in a hotel that also was hosting a high school or junior high school sports team. Much slamming of doors, much running up and down the hallway, and much yelling in the hallway AND in the rooms at all hours of the night. Now, I can easily sleep through quite a bit of noise, but poor Bill had a very hard time.
We once stayed in a hotel that had an infestation of a similar age group.

We couldn't ride the elevator without stopping at every. single. floor. The kids would get on the elevator, punch every button, then immediately get off. Great fun .
Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 AM

I stayed in a terrific hotel in Rome in December(Albergo del Senato, on square with Pantheon) with one problem:

They cut off the AC in September, and don't turn it on until April for energy conservation reasons. (supposedly it's a governmental mandate)

Anyway, with Rome being where it is, the early December daytime temperatures were warm enough so that our room was uncomfortably warm with the windows shut. Cracking the windows did the trick, but holy sweet Jesus, that piazza is LOUD at all hours of the night!

There were people outside yelling at each other, trucks going in and out, backing up with the usual back-up beeping, truck drivers yelling at each other, etc... I think there was maybe an hour or two window between about 4 and 6 am when it was relatively quiet.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebrows 0f Doom View Post
Seriously? You're complaining that people came back to the hotel around 9:30pm? That is hardly the middle of the night when most people would be asleep.
Truly, the hours could have been worse.

But understand the way the room was laid out. Next to my door were some steps up to another level. After that were more steps to another level and around the corner. The first level was even with the bottom of my side window, and the other was even with the window over my bed. That meant that the sounds that I got from the other guests was their feet. And the levels are made out of wood, so that really amplified the sound.

Maybe I can't fully describe how bad it was, but last year when the owner offered me that room again, I said oh hell no. If that was all he had available, I would have found a different hotel.

In fact, I met the couple who stayed in it last year. They had a hell of a time getting their baby to sleep.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:47 AM

I also stay in hotels about two weeks a month and definitely agree with a good chunk of these complaints, but I have to ask. . .

What the fuck are you guys thinking confronting people yourselves?

Seriously. I've had plenty of complaints about loud assholes in the hallway, but I'd never walk out there and get in their faces myself. Maybe it's because I'm a single woman and I know my 5'3'' ass is ripe for assaulting, but jeez. Just call the hotel and have them take care of it. I see here that, that hasn't always worked for all of you, but at least you don't have some asshole knowing where your room is and wanting to threaten you.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
What the fuck are you guys thinking confronting people yourselves?
It depends on the type of disturbence. Tipsy wedding goers in the parking lot? I can handle that. Clear domestic abuse in the next room? That was a 911 call.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
It depends on the type of disturbence. Tipsy wedding goers in the parking lot? I can handle that. Clear domestic abuse in the next room? That was a 911 call.
"Hi, front desk- the people in the next room/the hallway/ the parking lot are being crazy loud and I'm trying to sleep, do you think you could give them a call/ send security to let them know? I'm sure they don't realize how loud they are being.. . " usually takes care of whatever it is for me. And no one else will know it's me who complained, so I'm nice and safe.

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 05-18-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 PM

Are there always front desk people to call? At the places I normally stay, they usually close up shop at 9 or 10.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Are there always front desk people to call? At the places I normally stay, they usually close up shop at 9 or 10.
I've never, ever stayed at a hotel that didn't have 24 hour staff. I mean, they not only usually have a front desk clerk, but also someone handling security. I guess it just depends where you're staying.

(And so we're clear: I'm not staying regularly at the Four Seasons or anything- these are solidly midrange hotels).
Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm there overnight at our hotel (and frankly, I've worked at lots of hotels - they've all had overnight staff. Whether that staff member is awake at 2 am is sometimes "iffy.")

Yeah, I don't recommend that one hotel guest confront another over a complaint. Call the front desk, explain the problem, and let me handle it. (That's why I get paid the big bucks - ha!) It comes across much better if I call the room and say "Mr. Smith, I know you didn't even realize it, but you probably fell asleep with your TV on too loud," or "Ms. Jones, no doubt the kids are excited to be out of the car after your long trip, but they need to quiet down so that the other guests can get some sleep," than a yelled "knock it off you idiots" from the next room. Gets better results and all.

As far as a physical confrontation, though? I'm a little taller than 5'3", but not the right physical specimen to be much of a threat. That's why I know the police non-emergency number by heart...