Whatever you do, don't fart. TMI!!

I’m booked for a colonoscopy tomorrow, so today (apart from fasting) had to take some weird preparation stuff that makes you shit, lots.

Feeling that old familiar feeling in my butt, I toddled off to the toilet for a spell, then again a few minutes later for a similar experience. But another two minutes after that, I had a mild sensation…so I gave a wee fart. :frowning:

Not a good idea AT ALL. Whatever you do, when your bowel is full of junky stuff that the doctors think is a good idea…don’t fart, OK?

:wink:

A wise piece of advice. I’m sure lieu will be along shortly to confirm this fact. :smiley:

Since this is in the realm of TMI (realm, hell, this thread is in TMI’s living room!) I’ll share this. Last time I had a colonoscopy my doctor gave me a few adult diapers, I forget the pc term for those right now, to wear as needed. I did wear one to bed that night. It helped.

Before this post, only one person other than the doctor knew this. Now Teeming Millions know!

Good luck with the procedure Kambuckta. The prep is the worst part I think. Farting or no.

This is a choice moment to introduce the Dave Barry article on his own colonoscopy experience…

http://board.jokeroo.com/funny-jokes/129257-news-hound-dave-barrys-colonoscopy-journal-non-political-humor.html

Been there, done that. Twice. And women talk about having babies…ppfftt :wink:

Well, at least until you have the actual colonoscopy. At that point you habve eliminated virtually everything in your colon, and they use inert gas to distend the colon, so they can see. At that point, farting is essential. It’s damned near mandatory, in fact. But you can take solace in the fact that you will be releasing Inert Gas.

May I present for your entertainment, the Picolax thread

Enjoy :slight_smile:

Kambuckta, I feel for you. It’s a good thing I like to read, because the toilet was too far from the TV the time they did the same thing to me.

And yes, after the sigmoidoscopy, I let a 22 second fart out in the car. I think one could actually see me getting smaller.

Not very many posts make me laugh audibly, but this one did.
mmm

Inert schminert. I bet it still smells like ass.

“So you think you’re so good that your farts don’t stink?”

“Well, one time, in 1960, for 20 minutes…”

I didn’t actually try trapping and smelling them, but the nurses assured me that they wouldn’t smell, since the intestines were clean.
I went to and home from the hospital by bus. I were very grateful for the diapers I was given for the trip out. I had drunk the last dose two hours before the twenty minutes trip. They had told me *not *to take the car, since they might give me something which made it illegal to drive for twenty-four hours.
When I went home, in rush-hour traffic, I tried holding the farts for when the bus accelerated :p. I don’t think the beautiful young lady sitting beside me heard or smelled anything. She sat there still when I got off the bus.

Wow, here they will not allow you to go home by bus. You have to have someone to look after you (or be with you) for around 24 hours. In my experience anyway.

When I had mine, not only did I not get anaesthetic, and stay there for 24 hours, I got up and drove myself to work.

Seriously – that was one of my doctor’s selling points – I could go straight on to work afterwards.

I’ve had a colonscopy (including the prep) and I’ve had a baby. If I have my druthers, I’d rather have the colonoscopy. And this COMPLETELY leaves aside the fact that I never wanted kids in any case. Colonoscopies are a walk in the park compared to the childbirth that I had.

Oh dear.

I went through that fun experience last summer (and get to repeat it again this year - aren’t I lucky?) and I knew to NOT risk anything if I was not on the toilet. Any urge, and I ran to the bathroom before attempting any relief.

A related hint: do NOT put the toilet lid down. Even that brief delay to lift the lid is… problematic. :smack:.

Typo Knig also had to go through this last fall. I saw him right after he drank the goo, regularly dressed (zip/button slacks and belt). I ordered him to change to elastic-waist shorts. He thanked me, later.

The biggest annoyance? You sit on the pot, crapping out stuff you swear you ate 10 years ago… and figure you’ll sit there until the next round hits. But nooooooo - your body refuses to take advantage of the fact that you’re already where you need to be… instead, it stubbornly REFUSES to act… until you’ve gotten 10 feet or more from the toilet. Doesn’t matter if you sit there for 30 seconds or 30 minutes. :mad:.

No, “ppfftt” is what your body says after the colonoscopy.

“AARRRGHHH I’M GONNA KILL YOU YOU SON OF A BITCH” is what you say during childbirth. Afterward, you say “GO TO SLEEP DAMMIT!”.

2 kids, failed epidurals both times (one with a c-section, yay) and I’ll take the colonoscopy any time. I’d probably even prefer the colonoscopy if I went through it unmedicated.

Yeah, nothing like getting sucker punched by the colon of death. I think Norman Mailer said it best… “Keep a tight asshole.”

Kambuckta, the only scary part of the procedure is afterwards when they roll you into a recovery room with a bunch of other patients that likewise had prodigious volumes of air shot up their butt. It’s a bit like being in a hunting camp where everyone’s loaded for bear and they all start doing tequila shots.

Oh yeah, and no cherry or strawberry jello unless you want to see your doctor get his freak on.

Happened to me too when I got food poisoning. Had to secretly throw away that pair of underwear

Butch Hobson to Rich Dauer.

It probably wouldn’t be a very good one to try and light either.