The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 06-05-2011, 01:43 PM

Is there a proper way to cut eyelashes?

I'm a dude with long eyelashes. I've never cut them before, but I think I should at least try it once.

Is there a right way to do this? Do I just go at it with some scissors? For some reason that doesn't seem right to me, and it might result in uneven eyelashes.
Advertisements  
Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Why, when living in a culture that praises and prizes long eyelashes, do you feel the need to try this at all? Setting aside the occasional lash that grows towards the eye, I've never heard of anyone doing this, and Google results are all devoted to debunking the myth that cutting lashes makes them grow back longer/thicker.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Yeah, unless you seriously have a problem where they impede your daily life, embrace your sexy lashes, son!
Old 06-05-2011, 03:17 PM

I started wearing glasses about a year ago and discovered that my lashes (mostly my left eye, oddly) were rubbing the lenses and annoying me. I use a small nose-hair scissors to snip off the ends about every other month.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaB View Post
Why, when living in a culture that praises and prizes long eyelashes, do you feel the need to try this at all?
I'm curious to see if I'd look better with shorter eyelashes.

If I don't, I promise to grow them back to normal length.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM

My brother has longer eyelashes than I do, and mine are pretty long. I'm a bit jealous of his. Also his natural curls. Why did he get those, I ask?

I know you weren't asking for opinions, but keep 'em. I've never seen anybody who I thought would look better with shorter eyelashes.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Don't do this yourself! If you really dislike your eyelashes, find an old-line barber (who is seriously into mens' grooming) or a new-line beauty salon--probably not in your local mall.

Really, though. Long eyelashes are quite attractive, on women or men....
Old 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM

This is taking manscaping a bit too far dude.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

I am a guy with fairly long lashes. As noted, it is generally considered to be a good thing. I tried this experiment as a kid. Don't do it! Eyelashes don't trim well at all. They are meant to be presented at their natural length with a slight curl at the end. Trimming them looks retarded to be kind about it. You can't shape them to look natural at all. It will just look like you enlisted your eyeballs in the military.

Next up: Penis reduction self-surgery. Worth it?

Last edited by Shagnasty; 06-05-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakai View Post
I'm curious to see if I'd look better with shorter eyelashes.

If I don't, I promise to grow them back to normal length.
First of all, you won't look better. They will look blunt and stubby. Lashes normally taper to a point. Cutting them makes them blunt. That will look odd, at best.

Secondly, lashes grow very slowly, in fact, they are replaces as they are lost. It can take years.
They tend to become less dense and shorter as one ages, so just wait.

Last edited by picunurse; 06-05-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Old 06-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picunurse View Post
First of all, you won't look better. They will look blunt and stubby. Lashes normally taper to a point. Cutting them makes them blunt. That will look odd, at best.

Secondly, lashes grow very slowly, in fact, they are replaces as they are lost. It can take years.
They tend to become less dense and shorter as one ages, so just wait.
Huh. This is something I didn't consider. I thought they would grow back at the same rate hair does.

So much for that idea.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakai View Post
Is there a proper way to cut eyelashes?
With a fruit knife, held in the right hand.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:21 AM

Is this a stealth brag?

I think conventional wisdom suggests you keep sharp objects away from your eyes, even if there isn't a warning on the sharps package.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM

Why in the name of all that is holy do dudes ALWAYS have the type of eyelashes that some women would commit murder for? Every single boyfriend I've ever had has had better eyelashes than me. It's just not fair!

Yeah, I'm going to go with "don't do it, it'll look stupid" crowd. I also may or may not have to pout in a corner.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chela View Post
Is this a stealth brag?
Honestly.

Long lashes on anyone of any gender are a beautiful thing. Why disfigure yourself so?
Old 06-06-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiira View Post
Why in the name of all that is holy do dudes ALWAYS have the type of eyelashes that some women would commit murder for? Every single boyfriend I've ever had has had better eyelashes than me. It's just not fair!

Yeah, I'm going to go with "don't do it, it'll look stupid" crowd. I also may or may not have to pout in a corner.
Seriously! My new guy actually has thick dark lashes on his lower lids too. It's gorgeous. Bastard.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_mcl View Post
With a fruit knife, held in the right hand.
Really? I've always just melted mine back with a soldering gun.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:31 PM

It's bad enough, guys are fucking up their eyebrows (I love heavy brows, even mono's) . . . and body hair. Now they're performing a sacrilege of cutting their lashes? Are we to become a totally hairless species?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Hey OP, when I wear certain types of eyeglasses my lashes touch them and are irritating too. My grandfather had this problem as well.

DON'T TRIM THEM! You'll probably injure yourself and if you don't, you'll look stupid like another poster said, since you won't have the slight natural curl at the end.

I recommend buying an eyelash curler and using it in the AM. Shouldn't take more than 30 seconds and it'll get them out of the way as well as make you look better.

Win win win. Just remember to replace the pads every 2 months or so.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post
Really? I've always just melted mine back with a soldering gun.
Leaning over the grill while you light the gasoline soaked charcoal is pretty effective too.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM

In googling it does appear that eyelashes regrowing takes a very long time vs other hair growth. Eyelash cutting experiments will be with you for a long time.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

I'm a dude, and I'm married, so "looking good for other people" isn't a priority. The race is over, and I'm taking off the uniform.

Anyway, I have long eyelashes that droop down into my field of vision, meaning that if I don't trim them, everything looks dark and blurry. Seriously, cutting them back turns night into day. Yes, I tried curling them; if you're not also using eye makeup, apparently the curling doesn't hold.

I cut them with a cuticle clipper, like this one. Gotta be careful, because nipping skin with that sucker really hurts. And I have to repeat the process about every month, so don't be too concerned about it taking "years" for them to grow back. They're a damn nuisance, is all.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:44 AM

Just don't. Put down those trimming scissors. You can do it.

Seriously, long eyelashes are a requirement of a babe magnet ensemble.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:40 AM

I don't trim them, I singe them. With a rolled up newspaper (The Chicago Reader works well for this) lit on fire.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 AM

I wouldn't do it if I were you. As has been mentioned, long lashes look good (on men too).
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM

Long thick lashes may look good but they are royal PITA. My Chinese boyfriend has lashes that I always thought I would kill for but now that I see how much trouble they are I am happy with my perfectly medium ones, thank you. They brush against his glasses; they fall into his eyes and hurt, and they are so t hink that if they fall the right way they can actually penetrate skin. I would never have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. They are more trouble than they are worth.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika View Post
Long thick lashes may look good but they are royal PITA. My Chinese boyfriend has lashes that I always thought I would kill for but now that I see how much trouble they are I am happy with my perfectly medium ones, thank you. They brush against his glasses; they fall into his eyes and hurt, and they are so t hink that if they fall the right way they can actually penetrate skin. I would never have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. They are more trouble than they are worth.
I think I could handle the trouble. Even if I had to hire a full time lash-groomer.

I'm practically bald-lidded.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Use Swiss Army Knife scissors. Do it right and it gives you the Clint Eastwood "steely-eyed" vibe.

You gonna say Clint don't look bad-ass?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nzinga, Seated View Post
I think I could handle the trouble. Even if I had to hire a full time lash-groomer.

I'm practically bald-lidded.
Somewhere in the middle would be better. I have medium-long lashes, and they are easy to maintain and don't bother me too much (I also have large eyes and not almond-shaped, so it's pretty easy to pick the occasional lash out of my eyes).

Whereas I have actually seen the SO's lash pierce his eyeball a tiny bit.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM

Chemo?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty View Post
I am a guy with fairly long lashes. As noted, it is generally considered to be a good thing. I tried this experiment as a kid. Don't do it! Eyelashes don't trim well at all. They are meant to be presented at their natural length with a slight curl at the end. Trimming them looks retarded to be kind about it. You can't shape them to look natural at all. It will just look like you enlisted your eyeballs in the military.

Next up: Penis reduction self-surgery. Worth it?
Why, did you try that as a kid, too?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:47 AM

I have Rooneybrows, which I hack back on occasion (I have to cut them more frequently than I get haircuts), but I've never even thought of trimming the lashes.

The only reason IMO to trim them is if they often get into your eyes when they fall off.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Do zombies even have eyelashes?