Non-reversible screws in bathroom stalls

I’ve notice that at least in the States, bathroom stalls are assembled with non-reversible screws. What is the reason for this? Did people use to steal bathroom stalls?

Also, why do regular stalls open inwards while handicapped stalls open outward?

Thanks.

Bored people (well, teenagers, anyway) in private places will dismantle stuff for the hell of it.

Regarding your second question…because if the handicapped stall opened inward, the wheelchair would get in the way. All things being equal, the others open inward so as not to interfere with traffic in the bathroom.

To prevent vandalism. Why would anyone vandalise a stall by disassembling it? Search me. Why would anyone spraypaint “I need shit!” on a wall? (but they did).

Probably because an inward-opening one woulc not have clearance to easily close once there is a wheelchair in there.

Yep. The fire safety signs in all the dorms at my university used these screws too, and when we whined about it (“we” specifically being people who repainted the dorm rooms during summers) we were told that until they switched to those screws, people kept stealing the signs for fun. Sheesh.

Why would that stop them? Any beefy portable drill should be able to ream out a screw head regardless of what direction it went in at.

All the screws in the faculty restrooms at my school use “security torx” screws. Too bad I have bits for those. My parting comment when I retire will be to totally dismantle the office restroom and stack it in the principal’s office, just for shits and giggles.

Noise and the fact that carrying around a drill is a tad suspicious.

A Swiss Army knife or Leatherman is more commonly found in the pocket of the average student or other miscreant, than an electric drill. These are probably not planned incidents, but borne out of idle opportunity.

I think for this sort of thing it is good enough to cover idle opportunistic incidents, like a bored teenager with a pocket knife. You won’t stop the truly dedicated, but that really isn’t the problem.

I’ve almost started this thread before… but I rarely have my laptop in the school john.

I’m a teacher, and nothing else in our school is “sorta-vandal-proof” like this. Kids could steal switchplates, take doors off their hinges, unbolt light fixtures… almost anything EXCEPT those infinitely valuable bathroom stalls.

Was there ANY evidence that students did this before the wisdom of the powers that be (janitors? administrators? who?) mandated that our schools spent extra money on weird screws?

It’s a classic.

Here I sit with a broken heart
Came to s**t but the stall fell apart

Are you sure “extra” money is being spent? It could be that your stock bathroom stall kit these days comes with security screws as standard issue.

Most kits just say they have “required hardware” but I did see this image showing security screws as being part of the included bathroom partition set-up. And what a world we live in these days where I can browse bathroom stall dealers at the drop of a hat.

Edit: Another dealer link. I’m guessing they just all come that way these days and it’s nothing to do with your local administration.

The difference is that in that the bathroom stall is a private place where the “bored teenager” could peacefully unscrew the parts at his leisure, without having to worry about being caught. That can’t be said about those other things.

I guess when you’re installing these, you better get it right the first time!

I always thought they opened inward for the (mental) comfort of the occupant: it’s easier for said occupant to prevent unauthorized ingress if the door opens inward instead of outward.

Well, school toilet stall doors missing for no discernible reason, then replaced after a few weeks, then eventually missing again, was a recurring experience during my school years. I have no idea who was responsible. I just put up with the inconvenience and mystery of it all like a primitive tribesman puts up with the whims of the cruel, capricious gods.

Based on this thread, I’m guessing I was a pawn in the eternal struggle between vandals and administrators.

Don’t forget to include a horse, too.

Some folks just want to cause trouble in any way possible. This is their way of punishing society and humanity for their lack of performance. It’s the same thing that causes people to throw glass bottles out the window while driving down the street and then drive back the same way later in the day. It’s their mental problem and I can’t make sense of it.