SDMB RPG: The Rule of Three - Game Thread

SDMB: The Rule of Three

Welcome to the play thread for the SDMB play-by-post RPG: The Rule of Three, in the vein of the illustrious Fighting Ignorants and the years-long SD LOTR.
[ul][li]What is the Rule of Three (RoT)?[/ul][/li]RoT is a play-by-post RPG campaign taking place on the SDMB.
[ul][li]What kind of schedule does the game have?[/ul]Play will progress when what I believe is an adequate number of players have posted. For relatively unimportant moments in the game, such as determining marching orders, etc, this will require a simple majority. I’ll give enough time for everyone to post during important story moments. I hope for players to be able to post at least once a day, excepting occasional delays, which are understandable.[/li][ul][li]How do I join?[/ul][/li]We currently having a waiting list to play. If you’d like to be put on the replacement list post in the setup thread or send me a private message.

Notes on posting (for players):

Players, please make it clear what you’re doing when you post. Is your character speaking? Are you telling me what you want your character to do? Are you saying something OOC (Out Of Character)? I should be able to tell at a glance what you’re trying to do. If you’re asking me an important question try to bold or color it so that it jumps off the page at me. Thanks in advance and good luck!

Introduction:

[spoiler]RoT takes place in a medieval fantasy world called Mados. More specifically, the action is centered in the divided kingdom Tiribunus (adjective: Bunic). The Bunic borders have been shrinking for decades now (especially in the east). The mists (a strange, corrupting presence seen at the edges of civilization) and the far and mountain folk have been slowly reclaiming the edges of the map.

Castle Hammerfall and its surrounding community were built at the western foot of the Broken Jaw Mountains in the Eastern Provinces (a “province” is a colonized area outside Tiribunus proper) about two and a half centuries ago. For the last hundred years things have been on the decline in the Eastern Provinces, peaking during the last two decades; crop failures and plagues have forced most of the population west and left the remaining lords destitute. Godrick Faramond, the Lord Hammerfall, was among the more stubborn land owners who refused to relinquish his hold- that is, he was until his death three years ago.

He left his children a ruined keep and abandoned, infertile land. They could have gone to serve another lord, perhaps in nearby Whitewall. Instead they and what remains of their entourage packed what little they could and made southwest along the coast of the Bay of Tears. Their reasons are their own, known to few others besides themselves. Some claim the mists have clouded their minds. Others say the loss of their holdings have driven them mad.[/spoiler]
Notes on nobility and honor:

[spoiler]Nobility in Tiribunus is based around land ownership: A family must own land to be considered truly noble. That being said, the majority of nobles don’t personally own any land. Their families do.

Honor is a code that regulates how nobles treat one another. It has nothing to do with how nobles treat peasants. Indeed, a noble who works his serfs to death, burns entire villages to the ground and sells children into slavery can be considered very honorable by his peers. Peasants have no honor and so nobles are not obligated to treat them honorably. Serfs enjoy a small measure of protection in that if one kills or otherwise harms a serf it is similar to vandalizing their master’s property. Of course, not all peasants are serfs. “Free agents” enjoy no protection at all.

Nobles are expected to to be honest and true in their dealings with fellow nobles, to spare the lives of noble noncombatants (execution of criminals an exception), to show respect to their superiors and so on. Different nobles put different values on honor. Some only care that they have the appearance of being honorable. The actual intricacies of honor would be too much to post here, but suffice it to say that if a noble is looking for an insult to one’s honor (real or imagined) as justification for war it would be very easy to find.[/spoiler]
Notes on gender:

[spoiler]RoT’s game world is not as sexist as actual medieval society, but gender roles still exist. Women can’t pledge their support to other houses except through marriage and they can’t own land except by becoming widows (they lose their land if they remarry - many a hostile takeover has been performed by marrying the widow of a powerful lord).

Though it is rare, some women do become professional soldiers.[/spoiler]
Notes on magic:

RoT is a low-magic campaign. The average person in the game world will never see magic in their lifetime. Spellcasters are feared and treated with suspicion and occasionally outright hostility. No one knows why some people are born with inherent magical powers and others are not, but of course everyone has a theory. Magic tends to be more common among those with recent Mountainfolk or Farfolk ancestry.

Notes on the system:

[spoiler]Health
Characters have an amount of Health boxes equal to their Size (5 for most humans) + Stamina (2 for most humans), with an average Health of 7.

Each Health box can be filled with up to three points of damage. There are three types of damage: Bashing damage (equal to one point of damage), Lethal damage (equal to two points of damage) and Aggravated damage (equal to three points of damage).

As a character takes damage the points are assigned to empty Health boxes.

For example: If a character with 7 Health boxes takes 2 points of Bashing damage, he would now have 5 empty Health boxes and 2 boxes with Bashing damage. If he then took a point of Lethal damage he would have 4 empty Health boxes, 2 with Bashing damage and 1 with Lethal damage. If all a character’s Health boxes are filled damage is then distributed among previously-filled boxes, with bashing damage upgrading to lethal and lethal upgrading to aggravated. The system works much better visually, so if it’s confusing don’t worry too much about it.

All that’s important to know is that bashing damage and greater can impose dice penalties if it fills up a character’s last three boxes. Lethal damage can make a character pass out if it fills up a character’s final box, at which point he risks taking aggravated damage each round. If a character’s final box is filled with aggravated damage he dies.

A character heals 1 point of Bashing damage every hour. Bashing damage doesn’t have to be treated.

Lethal damage is healed at 1 point per two days if untreated or unsuccessfully treated. It’s healed at 1 point per day if treated successfully.

Aggravated damage is healed at 1 point per week if untreated or unsuccessfully treated. It’s healed at 1 point per three days if treated successfully. Aggravated damage represents truly grievous injuries: If a character ever takes any amount of aggravated damage he has just had a brush with death.

Willpower
I will occasionally note that a character has used Willpower. When I do I’ll also note how much Willpower that character has left. Willpower can be regained by a full night’s sleep; a night spent riding or keeping lookout will prevent a character from regaining Willpower.

Virtues and Vices
All characters have Virtues and Vices determined by their players. Players do not know the Virtues and Vices of their fellow players, though it might not be too difficult to determine it through gameplay (such as noticing that a certain character has inexplicably gained Willpower). Whenever a character fulfills a Virtue they regain ALL spent Willpower. Whenever they fulfill a Vice they regain a single spent Willpower. Virtues are much more difficult to fulfill than Vices. [/spoiler]
Here is a map of Pordeaux, a duchy on the Slave Coast, where the game begins.

Here is a blank world map to give perspective. The continent whose southeastern corner is occupied by Pordeaux is mainland Tiribunus.

The Party[ul][li]Baldur Faramond (Autolycus) - Lunatic heir apparent to Castle Hammerfall.[/ul][/li]Baldur is the middle Faramond son of the late Lord Hammerfall. The disappearance of his older brother Tyr during Baldur’s youth hit the new heir apparent hard. When his father died a few years later he had an emotional breakdown. Baldur has a squirrel named after his older brother; sometimes it seems he thinks the squirrel is his literal brother in animal form. Despite his insanity he is still a Faramond, something Cyrus is quick to point out to anyone who would question Baldur’s presence in the group.
Possessions:

Boiled leather jerkin, bracers and greaves (Light armor)
Cloth Faramond tabard
Cloth tunic and leggings
Wool cloak
Steel short sword
Iron and leather scabbard
Yew bow
Leather hip quiver
-20 wood and iron arrows
Leather coinpurse
Berries and herbs he believes have healing properties
Holly walking stick
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-Bestiary
Painted horse (Heavy Dirt)

[ul][li]Cyrus Faramond (Mosier) - Nephew to the late Lord Hammerfall.[/ul][/li]Cyrus is the middle-aged son of the late Lord Hammerfall’s dead brother Godwin. A veteran knight, Cyrus was the master-at-arms of Castle Hammerfall, responsible for the training and discipline of its peasant force. He remembers the time before the fall of the Faramonds and is driven by a desperate desire to return the family to their days of glory. He has a pit dog named Brute that’s as vicious a fighter as he is.
Possessions:

Steel hauberk (Medium armor)
Boiled leather gauntlets, bracers, greaves and boots
Cloth Faramond tabard
Cloth tunic and leggings
Wool cloak
Steel longsword
Round Faramond wood shield
Leather coinpurse
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-Jaw regional maps
Grey war horse (Heavy Dirt)
Brute (Pit Dog)

[ul][li]Henry Faramond (Hoopy Frood) - Youngest son of the late Lord Hammerfall.[/ul][/li]Henry is the youngest son of the late Lord Hammerfall. With two older brothers Henry was never likely to inherit Castle Hammerfall and so he neglected most of his studies and opted to instead spend time in Shoalbrook rubbing shoulders with Arcadian sailors. He’s a carouser and womanizer with little patience for the trappings of nobility. With Tyr’s disappearance and Baldur’s breakdown he finds a responsibility he never thought he’d have dropped upon his shoulders.
Possessions:

Boiled leather jerkin, bracers, greaves and boots (Light armor)
Leather gloves
Cloth Faramond tabard
Cloth tunic and leggings
Steel longsword
Round Faramond shield
2 steel daggers
Leather coinpurse
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-Heavy wool tunic and leggings
-Heavy wool blanket
-Crowbar
-50ft coil of rope
-Grappling hook
-Shovel
-Steel knife
Tan horse (Light Dirt)

[ul][li]Walter Denemont (appleciders) - Disowned youngest son of Cadicus Denemont, the Lord Alnpass.[/ul][/li]Walter is the youngest son of the Cadicus Denemont, the minor Lord Alnpass. Disowned when he injured one of his brothers in a feud, Walter left Alnpass and fell in with the only family that would accept him; the Faramonds. He’s a huntsman and archer of some skill and possesses obvious Mountainfolk heritage.
Possessions:

Iron byrnie (medium armor)
Leather jacket, boots and arching brace
Cloth and fur huntsman’s tunic and leggings
Steel long sword
Wood and leather scabbard
Yew longbow
Deerskin shoulder quiver
-20 wood and iron arrows
Iron knife
Leather coinpurse
Leather backpack
-50ft coil of rope
-Rations
Saddle
Brown war horse (Heavy Dirt)

[ul][li]Hrothgar Red-beard (Malacandra) - Former mercenary captain and pledged follower of Cyrus Faramond.[/ul][/li]A hardened mercenary veteran from Scar Fells, Hrothgar has lead companies throughout both the Northern and Eastern Provinces. An older, quiet man slow to anger, Hrothgar is nonetheless a practiced killer. His life was saved by Cyrus during a battle against rival family of the Faramond’s, resulting in the merc pledging him his support until he feels the debt is repaid.
Possessions:

Iron hauberk, coif, barbute, gauntlets and boots (Medium armor)
Leather greaves and spaulders
Cloth tunic and leggings
Wool cloak
Iron great axe
Iron dagger
Wood and iron crossbow
Leather hip quiver
-20 wood and iron quarrels
Iron ale jack
Saddle and saddlebag
-Rations
-Various common remedies
Black war horse (Heavy Dirt)
Pack saddle
-Armoring tools
-50ft coil of rope
-Suit of iron plate (Heavy armor)
-Bedroll
-Tent
-Torches
-Flint
-Tinderbox
Brown donkey (Donkey)

[ul][li]Sohanux Urthadar (Mahaloth) - Peasant healer with a mysterious relationship with the late Lord Hammerfall.[/ul][/li]An attractive young woman skilled in battlefield medicine, Sohanux is noted for having mysteriously attended the late Lord Hammerfall’s bedside during the final days and weeks of his life, for reasons not quite understood by the others.
Possessions:

Boiled leather jerkin, bracers and boots (Light armor)
Cloth clothing
Cloth cloak
Yew bow
Leather hip quiver
-20 wood and iron arrows
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-Wood hair accessories
-Bandages, splints, tonics and herbal analgesic
-5 purebloom applications
-Cloth dress
Grey horse (Light Dirt)

[ul][li]Naimar Nealan (lunaticlucas) - Peasant hedgemage and former courtier to Baron Bartholomew Arlow.[/ul][/li]A would-be scholar from Crutch, Naimar enjoyed a success unknown to most his age; he’d been appointed Baron Bartholomew “the black Baron” Arlow’s court secretary. When he was spied performing magic the young peasant was sentenced to hang but the Faramonds took Naimar off of Arlow’s hands instead. Naimar’s knowledge of Pordeaux nobility is a potential asset to the Faramonds.
Possessions:

Boiled leather jerkin, bracers, greaves and boots (Light armor)
Cloth clothing
Cloth cloak
Yew bow
Leather hip quiver
-20 wood and iron arrows
Steel short sword
Cloth coinpurse
Travel chest
-Parchment
-Maps
-Inkpens
-Ink
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-Courtier’s clothing
Brown horse (Light Dirt)

[ul][li]Choke (NPC) - Faramond family slave.[/ul][/li]Choke has been a slave to the Faramonds for going on fifty years. He was a dear friend and companion to the late Lord Hammerfall and continues to serve by offering what assistance he can to the surviving Faramonds.
Possessions:

Heavy wool gambeson
Sackcloth clothing
Wood and iron spear
Iron short sword
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
Brown mule (Mule)
Pack saddle
-Bedrolls
-Flint
-Torches
-50ft coil of rope
-Tinderbox
Brown donkey (Donkey)

[ul][li]Cutter (NPC) - Mercenary employed by the Faramonds.[/ul][/li]Cutter is a hairy, tattoo-covered mercenary and sometimes-bandit hired by the Faramonds in Ibene. Though short and fat, Cutter is incredibly skilled with his short sword. He also has a weapon he calls “the Nutcracker,” a morning star (spiked mace) that he uses on armored opponents.
Possessions:

Boiled leather brigandine and bracers (Light armor)
Cloth tunic
Leather greaves and boots
Iron short sword
Wood and deerskin scabbard
Iron morning star
Leather coinpurse
Saddle and saddlebags
-Rations
-50ft coil of rope
Painted war horse (Light Dirt)

The party:Baldur Faramond (Autolycus)
Painted horse (Heavy Dirt)
Cyrus Faramond (Mosier)
Grey war horse (Heavy Dirt)
Brute the pit dog
Henry Faramond (Hoopy Frood)
Tan horse (Light Dirt)
Walter Denemont (appleciders)
Brown war horse (Heavy Dirt)
Hrothgar Red-beard (Malacandra)
Black war horse (Heavy Dirt)
Brown donkey
Sohanux Urthadar (Mahaloth)
Grey horse (Light Dirt)
Naimar Nealan (lunaticlucas)
Brown horse (Light Dirt)
Choke (NPC)
Brown mule
Brown donkey
Cutter (NPC)
Painted war horse (Light Dirt)

*In the months since leaving Castle Hammerfall the Faramonds and their entourage have been winding their way south along the western coast of the Bay of Tears. Having been denied entrance to just about every keep they’ve visited, they find themselves strangers in a strange land. Though only separated by the Bay, it’s surprising how different this place is from the Eastern Provinces. While en route from their latest misadventure in Ironhall to Trinidad where the sole surviving Faramond daughter, Isabel, is serving as a lady-in-waiting to a minor noblewoman, they hear tales of the kidnapping of the Lord Ironhall’s pretty new wife, Mildred. Deciding this is just the opportunity they’ve been waiting for, Cyrus and Henry Faramond direct the party into the Brayers region of the Slave Coast north of the East Ironway, the last known location of the band that took off with poor Mildred. The reasons for her kidnapping are unclear, as are any details of the band itself. The targets have a day’s head start on the party, but they may not know they’re being pursued.

Now the party’s been moving north for two days through the Greatwood, the winter weather making travel difficult. The ground is hard, cold and peppered with mounds of late-winter frost. The horses whine plaintively, unable to graze on the move, with their riders hardly doing any better with their meager trail rations. The best-fed member of the party is, agonizingly, Brute, whose nose occasionally leads him to truffles, which he quickly devours before anyone else can benefit.*

I’ll take marching orders now. Describe to me what your characters are doing and feel free to take this time to talk among yourselves and with the NPCs as the party moves north on the trail of the band they’re pursuing.

Naturally, I will ride at the front of the group. I look for signs of anyone living in the area, who might have seen the bandits. Meanwhile, I’ll keep an eye on Sohanux. It’s probably just a coincidence that Lord Faramond’s illness got worse the closer she got to him, but I didn’t live this long without a healthy bit of caution and suspicion.

I also make it clear that I consider Baldur the heir of Lord Faramond. It’s not my place to judge the worthiness of my lord, but to fulfill my duty with diligence. I will advise him, but defer to his decisions.

To Hrothgar: “You’ve got experience with kidnapping and plunder. Where do you suppose these bandits have gone?”

To Cyrus: Should I ride near the front with you, Lord Cyrus?

Hrothgar doesn’t look directly at Cyrus, but rather continually scans the near and far distance behind Cyrus’s back - his usual custom, and he glowers at anyone who gets within five paces of his boss without express leave. He grunts at the question. “Hn. There be cities where a bandit can hide readier than a trackless swamp, aye, and where it’s more dangerous to follow an’ all if you don’t know the right streets to keep clear of an’ the right scum to talk to. Else, a place that’s hard to find - mebbe a little valley in the high hills, what can’t be seen from the low ground at all, an’ you never know it’s there barrin’ you lived thereabouts all your life. Failin’ all that, at least somewhere that you can see pursuit ere it see you, an’ get away with yer stash before justice arrive. But bandits have to eat and drink same as honest folk, an’ where you can’t get ale you must needs drink water.”

Hrothgar forbears to protest that he never kidnapped anyone in his life, or took plunder that wasn’t battle-spoil, and instead wags his head at Cutter. “What think you?” he asks the tattooed one. “Hear anything of bandit hideaways in these parts?”

To Cyrus: I should have added. I would prefer to ride in near the back, if you don’t mind, Lord Cyrus.

Cutter gives his nag a kick and trots up alongside Hrothgar, giving the witch Naimar a wide berth. “Ain’t spent much time ‘round Ironhall. But at the edge o’ the Greatwood’ll be farmland. Ain’t too likely a group movin’ by daylight will have passed through unnoticed by the locals.”

Stay with Henry. He’ll keep you out of trouble.

As you wish. Do we have a travel plan, my Lord(s)? Shall we travel at night or during the day?

Let’s talk to the farmers, then. If they haven’t seen Lady Ironhall and her abductors, it will at least eliminate one possibility.

Walter, you’re a competent tracker. Do you have any other leads?

The edge of the Greatwood is a day’s travel away: Sticking to your current course should get you there by mid-afternoon if you stop tonight to make camp or by morning if you ride through the night.

Happy to find out that there might be another educated person in the party.

“so Sohanux where did you learn all your medicine and healing?” trotting Lightning up to her horse.

//Unbeknownst to the other party members (but knownst to us), lunaticlucas’ character Naimar can perceive emotional auras. When interacting with Naimar you should be sure to note your character’s emotional state if it’s anything other than complete calm. There’s no roll to resist this, your characters’ auras will betray their feelings to him regardless of how composed they are.

To no one in particular/Just general whining: Great! I get to be babysitter! Just how I always planned on spending the remaining parts of the formative years of my life.

To Sohanux: Don’t worry. No trouble shall come to you…that is unless you want it to. wink

Choke, from the back of the group, with a wry smile. “It builds character, young master.”

I’ve got enough character to fill a few novels at least. It’s pretty much everything else I’m lacking.

:surprised to be addressed:

:unsure what to say:

:carefully selecting words:

“Well, I learned at the castle.”

Sohan begins combing her hair.

*The late afternoon Sun sinks towards the horizon as the party picks its way north through the Greatwood. Without warning Brute breaks into a series of loud, haunting howls before racing off north-northeast as fast as its stubby legs will carry it, ignoring any calls from Cyrus. It stops about two hundred yards in the distance before calling back to the group with loud barks. As the party approaches they’re overwhelmed by the terrible stench of death. The horses fidget beneath their riders, clearly spooked.

The scene is grim: There are six carcasses; three horses and three humans, presumably their riders. They are all in a very advanced state of decomposition, with maggots writhing beneath the surface of their skin. Closer inspection reveals claw and bite marks on all six of the bodies. Wolves, perhaps? But wolves typically avoid people. And why would they just leave the bodies?

Baldur, in a rare and surprising moment of clarity posits that mistwolves*[sup]1[/sup]* are known to attack even groups of people.

Naimar adds that those killed by mistwolves tend to decay rapidly.

Cutter scoffs at the mention of mistwolves in Brayers.* “Mistwolves? Right, and I’m an Arcadian prince.”

The three horses were small. They’re too badly decayed to be stripped for meat. The saddles are in decent shape but are likely to stink of rotting flesh for a long time. The saddlebags are filled with rations and maggots.

The three men were all wearing sackcloth clothing. Two of them had cheap iron knives in leather scabbards and the third had an iron short sword in a similar holder. The scabbards are likely to stink of death for a while but the weapons might be salvageable for anyone with the stomach to take and clean them.

The horses and one of the riders are clustered together with the two remaining riders about fifty yards to the north from the others.

1 - A mistwolf is a corrupted animal spawned by the mist that lurks at the edges of civilization.

Would I have enough knowledge to estimate how dangerous these animals are? Can we fight them off or are they way too strong and we should alter our course/make another plan?

Also, I want to investigate and search for any alcoholic flasks and so forth. If they are there, I’ll take them.