I'm taking a Glock to NYC. What can I expect?

In late October my wife and I are going to spend a few days in Manhattan.
I’ve traveled all over the country and had no problems bringing my pistol. But most places do not have a hard-on towards handguns like New York City does. The last time I was in NYC was before HR218 was law so I didn’t have a sidearm with me.

So, what can I expect? Will the airline tell the local authorities that a passenger has a declared firearm in his checked luggage? When I fly on personal time I usually don’t register with the airline as an emergency services worker. So it’s not like anyone will know I’m a cop.

Will there be some officers at the terminal waiting to have a chat with me?

Or, like in the rest of the country, will nothing happen?

Unless you are carrying it for a business need, why take it at all?

Curious foreigner here - so how does that work? Do carry permits from one state/city usually work anywhere in the country (good old 2nd amendment) or do you need a separate permit from each jurisdiction?

Can you actually pack ammunition (explosive material) in your luggage?

(In Canada that sort of thing is a federal regulation, so AFAIK one set of paperwork is good for the whole country.)

If you read the Wikipedia link in the OP, you’ll see that there’s a separate piece of federal legislation for law enforcement officers that covers all jurisdictions in the U.S.

First of all, please read the link I posted in the OP. Police officers are allowed to carry their weapon in all 50 states with no need for a permit from wherever they are.
My situation is different than that of the average person.

Secondly, every state has it’s own laws. Many recognize the carry permits of other states, a few do not.

Lastly, yes one may put ammunition in their checked luggage. Up to 11 pounds.
It must be separate from any firearms you have. Firearms in checked luggage must be declared when you check in at the airport.

The law stipulates that state and local laws take precedence in two respects: private individuals and businesses can still prohibit gun carrying on their property or place of business, and government property, courthouses, city parks, etc. can still be excluded.

Those restrictions could begin as early as the cab ride from the airport, then the hotel, restaurant, museums, parks, etc. They are all privately owned businesses and may prohibit concealed carry despite HR218.

The cited wiki article lists 2 cases that challenged the law. In each case the defendant was finally cleared of any wrongdoing, but in both cases the arrests happened in New York.

If you get caught illegally carring . Jail. Do not pass go or collect $200. NYC is the worst city for firearms. Bring plenty of money to post bond. seriously.

Way to read the thread there, champ.

I’m not a cop but I have relatives who are, including one who flies in and out of NYC. I just posed the question to him.

He says that when you declare your firearm, they’ll staple one copy to your boarding pass. They’ll ask to see your credentials at check-in and at the security checkpoint. Otherwise what you are planning is fairly routine and shouldn’t be an issue. He did say that they may hassle you about a high-capacity magazine.

One final comment: he said if you go to statue of liberty or other federal parks, you need to identify yourself as LEO if you are carrying.

How is your situation different?

He’s a police officer.

So he should be able to explain how his situation is different.

Er, I think the point is that police officers have different legal restrictions from other citizens when it comes to carrying firearms. The OP’s posts and links describe what those differences are.

OK but this stems to why the need to carry a firearm, inquiring minds want to know.

Are baddies out to gun him down? It is so he can be available to the local cops when things go down? Is it a security blanket for him? Is it a macho thing? Because he can? Is there a need to be able to intimidate others or have the ability to do so? Fear of civil unrest? Some combination of reasons?

This is not that thread. Seek elsewhere instead of trying to derail this one with your agenda.

From a legal standpoint, a police officer is always on duty and is supposed to take action if he observes a serious crime occurring.

Wait a minute…I had absolutely no idea that police powers transfer over from state to state. If the OP is not a New York police officer, why is the situation any different for him than it would be for any citizen coming to New York from another state? Is there some universal agreement among all 50 states that police officers can transfer their right to be armed between states?

This thread is way more justification for carrying than I have ever needed.
Bad guys pick on the weak.
I do not usually have a problem.
98% of the time when I get close to having my ass handed to me is when there is an motor mouth with no clue who utters theses famous words at exactly the wrong time which they seem to always do.
" You can’t do that, it is not right / legal."

If I had a nickle…

Couldn’t be bothered to read the link, huh?

OK, that slipped by me. I just read it. I’m amazed that such a law exists. It seems to be a violation of the concept of states’ rights and seems to treat law enforcement as if they are federal agents. I’m not against the idea of the law, but very surprised that it was able to be passed, as it seems to contradict some basic principles of the separation of federal and state authority.