The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-02-2011, 11:49 AM
BANNED

As a man with small hands, I have observed that.....

....there isn't a single "Important" male person, or male celebrity, with small hands.

Small hands are an indication of beta-male-hood, and while some of us have had some success, none of us have been spectacularly successful.

Just an observation.

I think part of the problem is that people distrust us.
Advertisements  
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM

Do you have any data base/cite of "Important" male person, or male celebrity hand sizes?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Albert Einstein important enough? Those look like smallish hands

Last edited by Mangetout; 11-02-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
It could be that his head is big?

Thread drift: what about head sizes?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Brunel?

Nelson Mandela?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDalien View Post
while some of us have had some success, none of us have been spectacularly successful.
Mark Zuckerberg apparently has wee little hands.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't say that Bill Gates has whopping massive hands either

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/images/biz...bill-gates.jpg
Old 11-02-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
I think part of the problem is that people distrust us.
Can you honestly blame us?
Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Vombatus Moderatus

Moderating: Moved thread GQ->IMHO

[moderating]
Unless someone comes forth with a scientific study correlating hand size to male "importance" and "celebrity," I think this thread belongs in IMHO.
So moved...
[/moderating]
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

This is pretty funny.

Okay - I'll play: Angus Young of AC/DC is a well-respected guitar player - a job that values big hands if there ever was one - and he has wee little mitts. Now, granted, he's about 5'3", so his hands are probably proportioned to his body, but it always funny to see him play his Gibson SG and then I pick up the same model of guitar and realize it has a very thin Slim-Profile neck I practially wrap around twice...

On the other hand (heh), Andres Segovia, the classical guitar innovator, was known for having unattractive sausage fingers (youtube) - people would comment how amazing it was to see such fluid grace from such ham hands...not sure if sausage fingers fits into the OP's overall framework...

Last edited by WordMan; 11-02-2011 at 12:37 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 12:48 PM

As a guitar player, and knowing quite a few great players with small stubby fingers, sort stubby fingers have distinct advantage of having more control/power over whatever strings they manage to get hold of. Remember Django Reinhardt played with only two fingers; sometimes more is not more, ie, less but quality is more than more of lesser quality. You do what you can with what you have. But then a guy like Jeff beck has large powerful hand and that's what you would ultimately want, ie, if you have a choice. Hendrix and Page: slender long fingers/big hands. Ronnie Montrose has stubby fingers and you can hear it in his playing.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittekland View Post
Ronnie Montrose has stubby fingers and you can hear it in his playing.
For some reason, I love this line.

Off topic - you should hang out in the Great Ongoing Guitar Thread - tell us what you play, help us geek out on gear - talk about the greatest guitar player ever, Jeff Beck - you know, stuff like that. Heck, we're only up to Page 42 in the thread...

...carry on.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangetout View Post
His hands were only relatively small.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:34 PM

My SO has small hands, but he's no beta*. Men who use weird physical attributed to explain why they cannot have success are universally wrong. There is almost certainly something wrong with you, but it isn't your hands**. It's your personality. But!! Good news! Unlike hand size, personality can be improved upon.

So, get to it!

*which is pretty much the stupidest description ever.

**or your height, or that you're bald, or whatever else dumb idea you come up with
Old 11-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Why on earth do you think anybody notices the size of your hands?
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
....there isn't a single "Important" male person, or male celebrity, with small hands.
They do have small hands usually, it's just that the rest of their bodies are small too .
Old 11-02-2011, 03:29 PM

I disagree with the premise of this thread because I am hyper-aware of men's hands, and I've noticed plenty of famous/rich/powerful dudes have small/girlish hands.

But, I have to admit that small or otherwise feminine (slim tapered fingers, chubby, soft) hands on a man are a gigantic turn-off for me physically. My SO has giant hands and they were the first thing that I found sexually attractive about him. Manly hands are a dealbreaker for me. I know I'm not the only one but this isn't something most women I've mentioned it to identify with...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Small hands sometimes play an important role:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxLOXUGmRKI
Old 11-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhubarbarin View Post
I disagree with the premise of this thread because I am hyper-aware of men's hands, and I've noticed plenty of famous/rich/powerful dudes have small/girlish hands.

But, I have to admit that small or otherwise feminine (slim tapered fingers, chubby, soft) hands on a man are a gigantic turn-off for me physically. My SO has giant hands and they were the first thing that I found sexually attractive about him. Manly hands are a dealbreaker for me. I know I'm not the only one but this isn't something most women I've mentioned it to identify with...
Interesting. As a guitar player, I get a lot of women commenting on how good a man's hands look when they know what they are doing with them (stop that! ) e.g., building something, etc. I have reasonably unattractive catcher's mitt hands but get nice comments when I play...I think it is something a woman can comment on without appearing too flirty...
Old 11-02-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
.......I have to admit that small or otherwise feminine (slim tapered fingers, chubby, soft) hands on a man are a gigantic turn-off for me physically. My SO has giant hands and they were the first thing that I found sexually attractive about him. Manly hands are a dealbreaker for me.
I'm only curious and would like more explanation, if *girly* hands are a turn-off, and *manly* hands are a turn-off, but big hands are a turn-on, exactly what measure of roughness/girlishness + size is preferable? An in-between? Do they need to be big and mildly *manly*? (I'd also like to know why I care, but that's for me to figure out )
Old 11-02-2011, 03:50 PM

I consider John McCain's hands to be disturbingly small.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM

Beta is a great description...for guys who blame their lack of status on things like the size of their hands. Nobody cares how big your hands are, it's what you can do with them (and your mind.)
Old 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Towers View Post
Beta is a great description...for guys who blame their lack of status on things like the size of their hands. Nobody cares how big your hands are, it's what you can do with them (and your mind.)
This is a great post. Good point.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Matthew McConaughey has short arms and disturbingly tiny forearms and hands. I can barely look at the poor guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstrain View Post
I'm only curious and would like more explanation, if *girly* hands are a turn-off, and *manly* hands are a turn-off, but big hands are a turn-on, exactly what measure of roughness/girlishness + size is preferable? An in-between? Do they need to be big and mildly *manly*? (I'd also like to know why I care, but that's for me to figure out )
Sorry I wasn't clear - it's the absence of manly hands that's the dealbreaker.

Last edited by rhubarbarin; 11-02-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Old 11-02-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear - it's the absence of manly hands that's the dealbreaker.
Ah, a misunderstanding, perfectly understandable .
Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Oh, I'm so glad to have found this thread! I have small hands, even for a woman, with very long, slender fingers. And being that I'm female, that's all good...I've been told I have very pretty hands. However. My son inherited my hands. They're almost identical. And on a man, well....not quite so all good. When he deployed to Afghanistan, I had to special order him gloves, because the smallest ones the Army issued were still too big for him.

He has often expressed frustration at this particular genetic heritage, so having a list of 'Alpha' males (however we are defining that term) to pull out would be awesome, next time he starts in...ungrateful pup that he is...
Old 11-02-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
It's pretty obvious during handshaking. Or when doing any activity that involves manipulating objects with other people. Even just sitting around at a table eating lunch it's pretty obvious. "Dude, you have girl hands." Yeah, I know. It's OK though, it makes my penis look bigger, right? Wait...
Old 11-02-2011, 05:59 PM

I think this is the first time I've ever seen hand size and attractiveness discussed - I am with rhubarbarin in that I find small (relative to size)/feminine hands on a man a definite turn-off.

But that's just from a sexually-attractive perspective, I find larger/taller men attractive and smaller men less so. When it comes to authority, alpha-beta maleness, capability and so on, size of person, including hands, is irrelevant. In other words, I may find you authoritative and alpha likeable and capable as hell, but if you're small in stature I won't want to do ya.
Old 11-02-2011, 06:20 PM

I have the smallest hands I've ever seen on a man. My daughters' hand is about a full inch longer than mine, but the breadth of my palm ,fingers and nails are much larger.
My shoe size is 9 though I have a wide foot and I have a small nose.
My concern when I was younger and single was the fear that my dick would be assumed to correlate. I've been monagamous with my wife for 32 years because she alone knows the truth.

Now I don't consider myself to be a Beta male because I think of myself to be an Alpha, but others may disagree.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:06 PM

Cee Lo Green has bizarrely small hands.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM

FWIW, I find small hands on a guy to be quite endearing and it's a definite plus for me.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
His hands were only relatively small.
That's your theory is it?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilaad View Post
Cee Lo Green has bizarrely small hands.
I think that's because he's overweight, so it may not count....
Old 11-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Elijah Wood is definitely a celebrity and has small, stubby hands. (pic) I'm not sure if you'd consider him an alpha, though.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:57 PM

Is Jack Bauer alpha enough for you?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittekland View Post
Do you have any data base/cite of "Important" male person, or male celebrity hand sizes?
It's too bad that this isn't an episode of CSI. They would have a hand size database, and it would return results in large, easy-to-read type.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss elizabeth View Post
Men who use weird physical attributed to explain why they cannot have success are universally wrong.
How about some guy rejected for the Catholic priesthood because of the cloven hooves and tail?
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 AM
BANNED

if you look at pictures of ahnold in his prime you will notice that he has dinky hands in relation to the rest of his body. of course. hands, like the head, can't grow with exercise.

i get the OP's point though. big hands are impressive and even avantageous. but ultimately (in fighting at least) it's the punch, not the hand.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:26 AM
Spoiler-alert

Won't hands get larger with work? There are some muscles in there, after all. It seems in literature, in particular in relation to women's hands, they're always being described as "large and work-coarsened."
Old 11-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

You know what they say about guys with big hands. right?

We need to buy big gloves.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
It's nice to know, rhubarbarin, that my observation of many, many, many famous/rich/powerful women having man hands is not so weird after all.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Because several people have commented on it? I have very small hands, and have heard it many times, in all kinds of situations, from casual male acquintances at a dinner table to women having sex with me at the time. It is weird and usually slightly uncomfortable. There is nothing I can do about the size of my hands, yet it seems fair game to bring it up. I'd never think of commenting on similar issues about the people who comment on mine. But people do most certainly notice hand size and have preferences concerning it. Luckily I'm handsome and buff

Ellen Cherry, hands have extremely limited potential for growth compared to most any other part of the human body, especially considering how much they are used in manual labor or training with free weights. Over the years I've increased my weight by half via free weight training, and am more muscular than average, but my hands are practically the same size as when I was a thin guy.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxylon View Post
Ellen Cherry, hands have extremely limited potential for growth compared to most any other part of the human body, especially considering how much they are used in manual labor or training with free weights. Over the years I've increased my weight by half via free weight training, and am more muscular than average, but my hands are practically the same size as when I was a thin guy.
I concur. My son inherited my frame as well, and when he was very thin, his hands didn't look quite so disproportionate. 4 years in the Army has bulked him up quite a bit, but his "lady hands" remain the same.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen Cherry View Post
Won't hands get larger with work? There are some muscles in there, after all. It seems in literature, in particular in relation to women's hands, they're always being described as "large and work-coarsened."
No. My SO has smallish, dainty hands. He works damn hard but his skin is softer and better than mine - just more naturally oiled, I guess. He has no callouses and I know he didn't live a charmed life. Hell, he's from an Asian family, he had to work like a dog. Spent years in his parents' restaurant, no burns or scars from that either.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Spoiler-alert

OK, I'll believe you all.

Take this for what it's worth: the smallest hands I've ever seen on a man was on Steve Nunn, the son of a former Kentucky governor, a former gubernatorial candidate himself, and a state legislator ... who pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison for the murder of his girlfriend.

A tall man, his arms were freakishly short, like barely extending past his waist, and he had these little bitty hands. It probably isn't as dramatic as I remember, but I was around him several times during his appearances in televised candidate forums. Scroll down to the photos at the story link above; you can sort of see the tiny in the one that's visible.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:57 AM

Ryan Gosling has small hands. (Seriously! It's like he's photoshopped!)
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 AM

You know who else had small hands?

Yep!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayaker View Post
You know who else had small hands?

Yep!
Napolean?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
How about some guy rejected for the Catholic priesthood because of the cloven hooves and tail?
As if. Have you seen what those dudes are up to? You'd probably be considered "uniquely qualified."

Old 11-04-2011, 03:52 AM

I have to admit that hands are very important to me. Like everybody else, if they'll admit it, my first glance of a new person tells me if they're attractive to me. (Not necessarily good looking, but not repugnant.) After that comes their personality which gives clues to their character. And I notice their hands.
I like ropey hands. Doesn't matter if they're stubby or have long fingers. I like hands that reflect they've lived life; calluses, raised veins from doing manual labor (is scultpting manual labor? because it could come from that.) Capable, doey hands. More than likely people who sport those hands also have striving souls. Anybody who has soft hands, or, MUCH worse, gives a limp-fish handshake, can only get token acceptance from me. That's my cue to run for the hills. Give me chapped knuckles anytime, over that.