Vodka tampons and butt-chugging

So apparently the new things that are all the rage among the kids today are tampons soaked in vodka for girls and inserting alcohol into your rectum with a tube if you’re a guy.

:dubious:

I have 3 boys under 21- they’re not the brightest bulbs in the box yet, but I have a hard time thinking they’d do something like this. If you have a teenaged girl, are you going to conduct mandatory tampon checks? (Ew.) Is this really for real? Somehow, I just can’t picture great masses of teens inserting things into their orifices… although god knows we did some crazy things to get high when I was a kid.

I’ve actually heard about the vodka tampons thing. Of the ~10 teenage girls that I’m on a first-name basis with, not a one of them would consider doing such a thing.

ETA: It all sounds like Reefer Madness to me (which is to say: overblown hyperbole generated by someone with an agenda to scare parents).

How on earth do you insert an already wet tampon? :confused:

I heard about this over 5 years ago. Despite being around a shit ton of college students it’s never come up.

When I was in high school, the equivalent rumor was eye shots; you took a shot glass full of everclear, held it up to your eye while bent over, then put your head back to upend the shot glass into your eye, thus getting a GREAT BUZZ. Because, you know, a 16-year-old just couldn’t drink enough everclear fast enough to get a traditional buzz.

I never met anyone who actually did it, but plenty of people were at parties where “lots of people” were doing it in the other room.

Good Lord in heaven. That sounds like the most exquisitely painful thing I’ve ever heard of in the service of getting drunk. I…can’t even. I just can’t.

The Straight Dope with brief mention of this.
When I helped Cecil with the column, I did come across reports of vodka-soaked tampons being tried, but with very limited success. They’re difficult to insert, and tend to really burn and irritate the lining of the vagina. Apparently it’s one of those things which some desperate or very, very committed woman might try, but otherwise no one would ever really do it.

I did get firsthand testimony from a couple of women who tried dilute wine enemas, and claimed they worked, but were nothing special (they did it as sex play with each other, and they said it just wasn’t worth the mess).

Did you gently suggest that perhaps they should have used white wine?

:smiley:

No experience here (duh!), but it seems like it would work better if you inserted the tampon first, then applied the alcohol as sort of a vodka douche, allowing the tampon to soak up the booze.

I just said “bottoms up!”

I’m amused by your implication that being on a first name basis with a teenage girl is in some way sufficient to know whether she’d consider soaking a tampon in alcohol and inserting it in her vagina.

I know someone who did the vodka thing-- she was a no-longer-really-functioning alcoholic and it was the only way she could get alcohol in her system on long meeting days at work. The theory was you wouldn’t be able to smell it on her breath if she used a tampon (I’d hope!).

What she did was take a plastic applicator type tampon, soak it in vodka and then insert. It didn’t work with cardboard applicators. Actually it didn’t work at all, in a sense, because everybody could smell it. Plus she was still acting slightly drunk. In front of the big bosses at corporate. Yikes!

So, um, Ashley isn’t it? I’ve got a quick question, Ashley.

In other news, adults have been drinking whiskey enemas, and using olive juice soaked tampons in their martinis.

Snopes

For some reason they list the status as “Undetermined” despite not having found one confirmed case of a vodka tampon.

I should have known there’d be a Snopes article. I wonder how articles like I posted in the OP even come about- do the authorities quoted really think this is going on on a large scale, or are they deliberately shitting people, or is the whole thing all made up?

My friends and I on occasion snorted vodka from a spoon.

You’re in so much discomfort that you can’t tell if you’re getting drunk or not, IMO.

Snorting vodka? Ouch, I can’t imagine even wanting to do that.

Then let me rephrase my statement. Of the ~10 teenage girls I’m on a first-name basis with, none of them seem stupid enough to try this sort of thing.

I’ve spent a lifetime not seeming “stupid” enough to do a lot of things. However, doing a random, stupid thing thing suggested by friends while they/you were under the influence is typical of, while not exclusive of, teenage girls. No matter how smart they are or seem.