Old 11-25-2011, 01:36 PM

What science fiction series have FTL travel but no intelligent alien life?

The two main ones I can think of are "Dune" and "Foundation". Any others?
Old 11-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Jack Vance rarely has intelligent aliens, so I'll nominate "The Demon Princes" series and the "Araminta Station" trilogy.

Also, I can't recall any intelligent aliens in Heinlein's "Past Through Tomorrow" series of stories.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 11-25-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

It may not be quite what the OP is after, but Red Dwarf has FTL, and no alien intelligent life -- in fact, practically no intelligent life of any kind at all.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
It may not be quite what the OP is after, but Red Dwarf has FTL, and no alien intelligent life -- in fact, practically no intelligent life of any kind at all.
I'm pretty sure I recall an episode where they were in Starbug and encountered aliens who put them on trial in some manner. Or something. Very hazy recollection.

They pretended not to be humans by putting fake eyeballs on their chins and filming their faces upside down.

Last edited by Candyman74; 11-25-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Jack Vance rarely has intelligent aliens, so I'll nominate "The Demon Princes" series and the "Araminta Station" trilogy.

Also, I can't recall any intelligent aliens in Heinlein's "Past Through Tomorrow" series of stories.
"Methuselah's Children" is part of the Future History series, and it has several alien races.

Jack Vance's "Planet of Adventure" series has several different alien races on the same planet.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 11-25-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyman74 View Post
I'm pretty sure I recall an episode where they were in Starbug and encountered aliens who put them on trial in some manner.
Not aliens. Human-built Simulants. All of the sapient non-humans they've met have been somehow created by humans - AIs and holograms, GELFs (Genetically Engineered Life Forms), Cats, Simulants and Mechanoids. And a few other one-off things.

But no aliens, much to Rimmer's dismay.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Not aliens. Human-built Simulants. All of the sapient non-humans they've met have been somehow created by humans - AIs and holograms, GELFs (Genetically Engineered Life Forms), Cats, Simulants and Mechanoids. And a few other one-off things.

But no aliens, much to Rimmer's dismay.
Ah, OK. Fair enough!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
The two main ones I can think of are "Dune" and "Foundation". Any others?
Dune doesn't have any aliens? Or are the Fremen simply human emigrants who settled Arrakis eons before any other humans showed up? I forget if Guildmembers were aliens.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:30 PM

The Vorkosiganverse has FTL and no aliens.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:31 PM

I came in here to post several stories, but then I reread that the OP asked for "SF series" and I realized I was only able to come up with the same two off the top of my head. Even series Like Ian Bank's Culture series and Smith's Lensman series, which deal mainly with humans, have aliens,even if sometimes only in the background somewhere. I'm not familiar enough with all of Heinlein's Future History stories (which, imho, is only very loosely a series) to state for sure one way or the other.

So, I eagerly await new posts!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Ah, Heinlein lovers posted as I was slowly typing
Old 11-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
Dune doesn't have any aliens? Or are the Fremen simply human emigrants who settled Arrakis eons before any other humans showed up? I forget if Guildmembers were aliens.
The Spice changed them, iirc.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
Ah, Heinlein lovers posted as I was slowly typing
Meh. The best eyewitness in that fiction is a famous liar.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

Since I see no restriction in the OP excluding television series, the reimagined Battlestar Galactica has no aliens.

Edward James Olmos told the producers that the first time they sent him a script with aliens in it, they'd have to rewrite it to explain why Adama died off-screen between episodes, because he'd be out the door.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Nope. All humans. The only difference between mainline human and Fremen was the spice. And the guild navigators/steersmen and face dancers and such are genetically manipulated humans. (the guild navigator in the Lynch movie is ridiculously out-book...the navigators were fishlike, yes, but still humanoid.

Last edited by jayjay; 11-25-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Heinlein's Future History has intelligent aliens even in our Solar System (though these were sort of forgotten, in the later-written stories). One of the stories leading up to the whole Nehemiah Scudder thing dealt with the enslavement of Venusians on human-owned plantations. I'm pretty sure there are Martians somewhere in there, too, but I'm not certain.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's an odd question (imho) because the Fremen are human... Paul even has kids with Chani.

IIRC, the Fremen were transplanted to Arrakis ... pre-Arrakis they lived a pretty idyllic life, were enslaved, and then dumped on Arrakis. I think this is mentioned in the section where Jessica becomes the Reverend Mother - let's see...

... Still the corridor remained, revealing to Jessica that the Fremen culture was far older than she had suspected.
There had been Fremen on Poritrin, she saw, a people grown soft with an easy planet, fair game for Imperial raiders to harvest and plant human colonies on Bela Teguese and Salusa Secundus.
Oh, the wailing Jessica sensed in *that* parting.
Far down the corridor, an image-voice screamed: "They denied us the Hajj!"
Jessica saw the slave cribs on Bela Tegeuse down that inner corridor, saw the weeding out and the selecting that spread men to Rossak and Harmonthep. Scenes of brutal ferocity opened to her like the petals of a terrible flower. And she saw the thread of the past carried b Sayyadina after Sayyadina - first by word of mouth, hidden in the sand chantys, then refined through their own Reverend Mothers with the discovery of the poison drug on Rossack... and now developed to subtle strength on Arrakis in the discover of the Water of Life.
Far down the inner corridor, another voice screamed: "Never to forgive! Never to forget!"

Guildmembers are also human, just so transformed by their spice-rich environment that they must live in tanks super-saturated with spice. I don't think they really resemble what we saw in Lynch's movie, however, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by JohnT; 11-25-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Heinlein's Future History has intelligent aliens even in our Solar System (though these were sort of forgotten, in the later-written stories). One of the stories leading up to the whole Nehemiah Scudder thing dealt with the enslavement of Venusians on human-owned plantations. I'm pretty sure there are Martians somewhere in there, too, but I'm not certain.
And "We Also Walk Dogs" seems to imply aliens from Jupiter as I recall (were I collecting the stories for the Future History, I'd exclude WAWD and "The Long Watch" not because they aren't good stories, but because they don't fit into the Future History (TLW is clearly a prequel to "Space Cadet" and I can't see getting the same history containing both the American-dominated Space Patrol and the America of Scudder)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

I'll agree that "We Also Walk Dogs" isn't actually part of the Future History, which is why I didn't mention the aliens in it, but I'm not sure about "The Long Watch"/Space Cadet-- I think that there's enough room in the timeline for Scudder to have been before, after, or between those stories.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Sith Mod

If we're including TV, Firefly, of course.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'll agree that "We Also Walk Dogs" isn't actually part of the Future History, which is why I didn't mention the aliens in it, but I'm not sure about "The Long Watch"/Space Cadet-- I think that there's enough room in the timeline for Scudder to have been before, after, or between those stories.
You could be right, but it'd be a tough fit - but since this is a hijack, I'll drop the topic here, and maybe start another thread sometime to discuss this in detail

Last edited by Andy L; 11-25-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller View Post
If we're including TV, Firefly, of course.
Although we don't know officially if they have FTL. The humans that left Earth that Was may have used a near light-speed ship to get the Firefly multi-star system.

At least from Serenity and the Series as far as I can remember. I have't read the comics and other stuff.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Sith Mod

Good point: I'd forgotten the FTL requirement in the OP.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Since I see no restriction in the OP excluding television series, the reimagined Battlestar Galactica has no aliens.

Edward James Olmos told the producers that the first time they sent him a script with aliens in it, they'd have to rewrite it to explain why Adama died off-screen between episodes, because he'd be out the door.
Though it's an open question just what exactly Virtual-Six, Virtual-Baltar, and the entity which does not like to be called "God" really are.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM

I was thinking about extra-solar critters. I won't believe any of the Methuselah's Children lore until Hazel Stone herself parks outside and gives me a nice back rub.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:08 PM

The anime series Cowboy Bebop has FTL Gates but no aliens. In an unusual twist, they have FTL but are also confined to the Solar System.

Melissa Scott's Silence Leigh trilogy has FTL, no aliens.

IIRC Vonda McIntrye's Superluminal had no aliens, but did have FTL good enough that there's a station at "the edge of the universe"; complete with a bar that has a huge window that shows nothing but blackness, an infinity of starless space.

I recall an obscure novel; A Matter of Oaths by Helen S Wright; FTL, no aliens.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Hyperion?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
Hyperion?
I don't remember any. There are the Ousters, who are alien in form (myriad) and culture, but they are self-altered humans. Also, the TechnoCore are human-created AIs (or not created by humans, it's complicated...), but also serve as an "alien" culture.

There are several species mentioned, and I can't remember if they're sapient-intelligent or not, like the "balloon" species on... Jupiter, maybe?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Hyperion?
If you're talking about Dan Simmons, that's only mostly correct. The majority of the region has been colonized by humans, but there are a handful of aliens around. It is true that many of the apparent aliens in the story are actually human or modified humans. (I was actually thinking of this one, but it has to be ruled out).
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelurkinghorror View Post
There are several species mentioned, and I can't remember if they're sapient-intelligent or not, like the "balloon" species on... Jupiter, maybe?
There may not be any actual sapient non-humans around, so it probably does qualify. I forgot about the 'intelligent' alien life requirement.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Actually, at the very end of the series, one character is revealed to have been an alien all along - the only intelligent alien in the books.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:59 PM

Legend of Galactic Heroeshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_...alactic_Heroes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Charter Member

Most obvious: Isaac Asimov's Foundation and his Robot books. I think he was working on an explanation for that when he died.

Jack McDevitt's books went on for years without meeting intelligent aliens, though there were signs of them. He eventually met up with them, though.
"If a person saying he was something was all there was to it, this country'd be full of rich men and good-looking women. Too bad it isn't that easy.... In short, when someone else says you're a writer, that's when you're a writer... not before."
Purveyor of fine science fiction since 1982.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
I googled this because I could have sworn they did actually encounter alien aliens at one stage but the closest it seems is mention of the "Pan-Dimentional Beast from the Mogydon Cluster" in an episode. It's not seen on screen however, and there's not enough information to say humans didn't create it either.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post
Actually, at the very end of the series, one character is revealed to have been an alien all along - the only intelligent alien in the books.
Which one? I don't recall this...
Old 11-26-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Which one? I don't recall this...
SPOILER:
A. Bettik - the blue-skinned android they encounter on Hyperion, who later plays a bigger role in the Endymion books.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Though it's an open question just what exactly Virtual-Six, Virtual-Baltar, and the entity which does not like to be called "God" really are.
I know what they were, a cop out Bullcrap ending.

Sorry, couldn't help myself...
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM

There was nothing at the end of BSG that wasn't carefully built up throughout the entire series' story arc. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean that it was copout.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Most obvious: Isaac Asimov's Foundation and his Robot books. I think he was working on an explanation for that when he died.
Actually I think there was. After Asimovss death, his Estate Hired the Hard SF Three B's ( Gregory Benford, Breg Bear, and David Brin) to witer 3 more novels about "Foundation" and aliens who were destroyed by robots lead by R. Daneel Olivai who were sent out in space and terraform for human colonization.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylede View Post
Actually I think there was. After Asimovss death, his Estate Hired the Hard SF Three B's ( Gregory Benford, Breg Bear, and David Brin) to witer 3 more novels about "Foundation" and aliens who were destroyed by robots lead by R. Daneel Olivai who were sent out in space and terraform for human colonization.
Were the robots, including Daneel Olivai, tied into the Foundation universe in Asimov's first three books, or did that happen only in the sequels?
Old 11-26-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Were the robots, including Daneel Olivai, tied into the Foundation universe in Asimov's first three books, or did that happen only in the sequels?

Foundation and Earth - 1986 by Asimov himself
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenBeam View Post
Not until Asimov's very last book in the series, IIRC. R Daneel showed up, in the moon, when the heroes finally found Earth, and explained how the robots had eliminated the aliens (from all of history, so it makes for an interesting fit into this thread) to make way for human expansion.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Not until Asimov's very last book in the series, IIRC. R Daneel showed up, in the moon, when the heroes finally found Earth, and explained how the robots had eliminated the aliens (from all of history, so it makes for an interesting fit into this thread) to make way for human expansion.
Wasn't The End of Eternity somehow linked in to all this?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I read this, but couldn't recall if it was Asimov, or one of the "Three B's". (I had thought that was by Brin. But maybe he reiterated the same thing in his book.) I had read the first three Foundations so long ago, and when I was in High School, so I couldn't be sure I hadn't missed some subtle things in those books.

Last edited by ZenBeam; 11-26-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM

I believe Crest of the Stars doesn't have any actual aliens, just humans from various colonies, and an genetically enhances set of humans that everyone treats like aliens.

It was originally a science fiction book in Japanese, but there is anime and manga of the entire series, and at least some of the sequels. That said, I've only seen the first 12 episodes when they were first translated and shown on TechTV (now G4), so I don't know for sure about aliens after that.

Their FTL travel is neat in that it requires using 3D bubbles in a sort of 2D space.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Daneel was also in Prelude to Foundation, remember.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Trihs View Post
The anime series Cowboy Bebop has FTL Gates but no aliens. In an unusual twist, they have FTL but are also confined to the Solar System.
Are you sure? I seem to remember they used warp technology for space travel (on the other hand I was heavily playing the RPG Fading Suns at the same time, and I tend to confuse the two a lot). Great series btw (really liked the whole "confined to the solar system/ bits of Earth reconstructed on other planets).

That said, there was that critter in the Toys in the attic episode, I wont spoil its possible point of origin, but we're not sure it isnt some kind of alien lifeform.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Jack Vance rarely has intelligent aliens, so I'll nominate "The Demon Princes" series.
Demon Princes? You don't even get past Star King - the eponymous villain certainly looks human and is capable of passing as such for a long time, but comes of radically different ancestry, and of a unisexual species that reproduces in a completely different manner to humanity. There are infrequent references to "autochthons" in other parts of the Oikumene too, and indeed the long-lost ancient race that brought humans to Gnarumen in antiquity and caused the Star Kings to become human-like before the true men were finally exterminated. Creatures such as the hyrcan major may not qualify as "intelligent" aliens, true, and I think that Krokinole Imps are stated somewhere to be an offshoot of humanity, ditto the Tadusko-Oi of Thamber, while the dryads of Teehalt's World may or may not be intelligent (Lugo Teehalt himself considers them "wise" even if not, and they are aware enough to react with seeming dismay to the death of a tree-wasp which may be larval form of their own species).
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

The Honor Harrington series comes close.
Treecats are revealed to be more intelligent than originally thought, and there are the natives in the 1st book.

But there are no Spacefaring aliens (ok, a check here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...the_Honorverse says the Alphanes were spacefaring)

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy View Post
Wasn't The End of Eternity somehow linked in to all this?
I happened to discuss this issue (and the very brief mention of a real alien species in the Foundation universe) on another thread this week http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...1&postcount=16