Tackling the Mess in the Front Room, or Why I'm Up at 2 am

I’ve mentioned this in a prior thread or two, but I’ve never been neat, and over the past decade or so have finally admitted to being a proto-hoarder (meaning, clutter and mess but still able to move around the house, sit on the couch and furniture, use tables, no sanitary issues - I think some call it “first degree squalor”). Over the past four years or so, between un/underemployment, multiple ill family members, death in the family, and various other crisis type situation things went from cluttered to out of control. Although the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen were kept livable the front room filled up with stuff to the point much of it was un-navigable.

Needless to say, this was nothing to be proud of. On the other hand, I refused to beat myself up about it, because when, for example, mom was dying that was more important than moving boxes and dusting my front room.

Well, due to a scheduling change at work I found myself with six days in a row off. Also, the mother in law’s estate finally settled and the spouse and I received a middling-sized inheritance. Although we are saving the vast majority of it for totally mundane and practical things, we did get one indulgence - a flat screen TV. Which is being delivered [del]tomorrow[/del] later today.

Which means I had a deadline for the front room.

The spouse (bless him) knows me well enough to understand this could be a Bad Thing. So before we even went to pick out the new TV he planned out how to tack the Front Room of Clutter and we discussed how we’d approach it. I really can’t thank him enough for helping me with this. He knew there were several boxes of things from deceased relatives in there, which could kick off all sort of emotional issues for me. There is also the fact I truly, literally, am allergic to housework. Dusting, vacuuming, and moving boxes can result in sneezing, full-out coughing/wheezing asthma attacks, and the blooming of magnificent skin rashes.

We started two days ago.

The day would start with me taking a leisurely breakfast and hitting the computer for about an hour and a half - which sounds like an odd way to begin a clean up project, but the spouse was insistent I give the preventive allergy meds ample time to get established. I started with the extra blankets and sheets that had gotten parked on the couch and the two unfinished quilts I’m working on. Since then, we’ve thrown out 4 bags of garbage, consolidated eight boxes into two (and thrown out the old cardboard boxes), shifted another 14 boxes into a designated storage area in the massively large bedroom, thrown out some other stuff like bubble wrap, bags, and craps things had been wrapped in that were no longer needed, moved some other stuff to the storage area upstairs (mostly materials for my husband’s business), moved some furniture around, and done a lot of vacuuming/dusting.

(If you’re keeping count yes, that was 16 boxes of stuff we moved. Two years ago it was forty. I have been making slow progress. Yes, it would have been grand to go through sort/trash the stuff, but if we stopped to do that we wouldn’t get the front room cleared by deadline. We moved the stuff, but I’ll be continuing my slow sorting of what’s left. If I keep on schedule I’ll have gone through everything within six months.)

So far, I’ve only needed to hit the inhaler about three times, and no really bad attacks. Have only gone through about a half a box of Kleenex. I do have a bit of a rash on my right arm, but it’s under control. The spouse has been keeping a close eye on me, and has been insistent on break when either the allergies or my emotions start taking over.

Yeah, emotions.

The worst part was not coming across mom stuff, it was coming across the pictures of my deceased sister. Sometimes I can look at them with no problem, but this was one of the times when all the hurt and rage come back (How could she cause us this much pain?!?). Even when the emotions are positive I still find this so emotionally exhausting. Oh, and the memory thing - certain objects can trigger very strong memories, almost hallucinatory in their vivideness. In the past, many a cleaning project got side-tracked by a trip down memory lane. The spouse kept me on track, gently but firmly. Between that and the allergy meds I’ve had to do some napping, which means my sleep cycle is all shot to hell… and that’s why I’m wide awake at 2 am.

Do I feel better for having the front room (mostly) cleaned up?

No, I don’t feel better.

I feel very disturbed. I’m twitchy and anxious. I’m unnerved at the new configuration of everything and terrified I’m going to lose track of something vitally important (that’s not helping my sleeping, either). Constant low-level anxiety for the past three days. This feels bad!

Mind you, I know I will feel better. Give me a few days or a week and I’ll be ecstatic, but during the cleaning process itself I’m a horrible nervous wreck. Fortunately, I have a very understanding spouse who is aware of my issues, both emotional and allergic, and it very much helping me through all this.

Also, it’s not quite all the way cleaned up. We still have to move the counch and piano, but we were both so exhausted last night we said screw it and went to bed at 7 pm. It will get done, but because it wasn’t done last night I’m twitching it won’t get done in time for when the TV is delivered. Then again, I’ve been muttering the whole time it’s too much, we won’t get it done, etc. with the spouse reassuring me over and over that yes, it will get done, don’t panic, don’t exhaust yourself, take a break, eat something, dammit! (I lose my appetite under stress), and come back to this in an hour.

Other than getting the front room under control I still have to get some paperwork in to Public Aid (now that we’ve totally exceeded the asset limit we’ll be off food stamps as soon as it’s filed - haven’t used them anyhow since the money hit the bank but between the weekend and MLK day I can’t file the paper until Tuesday), do a mountain of laundry (may do just what’s necessary to get me through the work week and pick up the slack next weekend), and get some groceries in the house. At least we took care of setting up a savings account last Friday.

The spouse is in charge of getting the maintenance on both our vehicles up to date, including new tires for the truck (it desperately needs new tires - our current ones are twelve years old). After that… we’re going to sit on the rest and spend a couple months thinking about how to spend it in the best manner possible, which definitely might including not spending it but keeping a substantial portion as an emergency reserve.

Right now I’m miserable - tired, but can’t sleep due to how unsettled I feel, worried about finishing our current task before the new TV arrives, worried about the other things set to the side to do this (honestly, I haven’t been eating that well, and no real cooking for the past few days, just sandwiches and cereal, but once I get past this I can go back to healthy eating), worried about dealing with Public Aid one last time, worried about laundry, groceries, getting my tax stuff in order…

Really, I hate it when I do something like this and some chirpy person says “There! Isn’t that so much better?” No, it’s not. Not yet. Right now I’m sleep-messed-up, itching, sneezing, hands shaking from the allergy meds, emotionally wrung out, and vaguely disoriented in my own home. It sucks. It really does. This is why I hate this kind of housework, it makes me feel bad for several days before everything starts getting better. My spouse and I chanting “This will be a good thing!” is a mantra, and I expect the parrots will shortly be saying it as well.

So, how about an “atta girl!” and some encouragement to keep going? I could totally use some emotional validation from “strangers”.

You’ve got a lot stuff bottled up inside of you that you need to release. So dig in and finish this and start planning that great act of meaningless stupidity where you can let the floodgates open.

Dunno if you’re a crying kind of girl, but can you imagine how glorious the snot-and-tears will be when you finally let go, between the big boo-hoo and the allergies? You’ll use half a box of kleenex. It’ll be really satisfying.

Well Done!

Personally I know that looming thing can take on a life of it’s own and it becomes harder and harder to tip it over and* begin to do what needs to be done.*

Hell, I’m impressed that you’ve been slowly working on it for the last 2 years. That’s better than most!

Congratulations! This Anonymous Internet Poster is proud of you!

Good for you and keep going!

I understand what you’re going through as we’re going through some of the same stuff 'round here and it has me a bit off kilter but I know that once it’s done we’ll all feel much better.

Good for you! And I’m really excited for your inheritance (though sorry about your mil, of course) because I know how hard the last few years have been on you guys, both physically and psychologically. Having a little buffer has to be a huge relief to both of you.

And I hear you on it not really feeling better at this point. We’ve spent the weekend clearing out the…shall we say catch-all room. (Okay, it’s the junk room. All the shit we’ve ever been too busy or tired or cranky or whatever to deal with properly but needed out of the way has got shoved in there.) Aside from the “OMG, how did we accumulate this much pure crap?!” and the actual work, there’s always a point where not only is that room a disaster but the hall is full of boxes of things that belong in other places, and boxes and bags for Goodwill. And it’s…it’s just too damn much.

All you can really do is go sit down somewhere else and think about other stuff for a while. Well, or sit down and hyperventilate for a while, depending on how far you’ve pushed yourself.

I know you don’t know me, but you’re doing good - the more dust you get out now, the less there’ll be as you gradually sort and rearrange the remaining boxes, and the less skin and breathing problems you’ll have in future.

(wait- what am I saying, I *loved *reading your zit threads!)

Atta-girl!

I know what the severe allergies are like. I have dust mite allergies and it’s a vicious cycle; you try to clean and have an asthma or allergy attack then you put off cleaning for a while, crap piles up and you try to clean again and same thing happens.

It took me a couple years to get through a bunch of my mom’s stuff that my brother brought over when my mom was put in assisted living. It was mostly stuff with no sentimental value but I had no idea what was in there so I couldn’t just donate it or trash it. I also had my own crap to get through. I did donate several boxes of knick-knacky stuff and just redistributed the rest but I still have a lot to get through. And I have one room and my garage that catch most of the crap. It seems like whenever I make a concerted effort to get these things done even more crap happens, like my allergies or fibromyalgia flares.

So good on you for tacking it and you may not feel good about it yet but right now you are an inspiration to me.

Woke up at 6 am feeling a little short of breath so I hit the inhaler again. On the upside, my nose is running less and less crap out of my sinuses this morning, so yes, cleaning up the dust is worthwhile as long as I can keep my lungs functioning.

Wait a minute, Broom, don’t you have an industrial-strength dust mask? Yes, yes I do. Even with a mask, though, you get it on your skin, and I, for one, can’t sleep in one of the things so it’s unavoidable I’m going to get some in me as I live here.

Two more bags of garbage and four more empty boxes out the door this morning. We went out for a hot breakfast at a local diner so we’d get a solid meal and away from this project for an hour. Came back and did the two biggest furniture moves: the electric piano (110 pounds on its own, not including stand and amp) and the couch (also pretty heavy). There is still some stuff to shift around, but the delivery isn’t until between 6-9 pm this evening (I was a little surprised at that) so that takes some pressure off and I can take a two hour mid-day break. As it is, we do have sufficient space cleared for the new TV and area to assemble all the peripherals.

So, we can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though I’m feeling pretty exhausted. I’m going to check the clothing inventory and if I can skip laundry until my next day off I think I’ll do that. Or maybe I’m at a point where I can justify using the drop-off service.

The spouse is pretty much saying we’re at an end point, even if there’s much to be done. At some point we have to take care of everything else.

Your OP has got me thinking about how close an analogy there is between our heads and our houses. It’s no wonder stirring everything up in your house has you upset and twitchy - I think stirring the physical pot stirs the emotional pot, too.

Our house is mostly under control because I’ve been painting closets this winter, and as I go, I organize the closets, but I’ve got a spare bedroom that has ended up as the catch-all - the last project for the closet painting will be cleaning up the catch-all room. Oh yeah, I put big shelves up in the utility room downstairs - getting stuff off the floor and onto the shelves has made a huge difference, too.

You’re getting there! You will feel so much better once your house is a tidy, organized place to live.

Well done! I totally agree, dealing with the emotional aspect of cleaning stuff up is far, far harder than the physical part. And allergies just suck, too. Good for you for getting through it, that takes courage.

Have you decided what you’re going to watch first on that gorgeous new TV?

If we get it set up in time, maybe the PBS feed of Doctor Who, but otherwise… I’ll let the spouse pick a movie from our collection.

Hey, this is difficult stuff, Broomstick. And any progress is good progress. Give yourself a big pat on the back. Admire your effort. Defend the clean zone. Enjoy your new TV that you wouldn’t have had room for if not for your hard work.

Speaking of TV, my own personal little lazy cleaning trick? I clean during commercials while watching TV. Who likes to watch commercials anyway? TV time thus equates to about 10% cleaning time for me. I’ll shuffle some dishes around, load or unload some laundry real quick, or vacuum half a room, then flop back down on the couch when the show comes back on. It might sound silly, but it works for me.

It’s so good to hear that you and your husband have some much-needed breathing room, financially, Broomstick. No pun intended. :slight_smile:

Good work, Broomstick!

Wow! It’s great to read that things are looking up for y’all. Good work! Did the TV come?

Yep… around 9 pm last night.

To be fair, the company DID call us early in the morning, let us know we were last on their list of deliveries that day, and said it would arrive between 6-9 pm so we weren’t sitting around all day waiting, we were able to get other stuff done (including a nap).

Right now, we’ve got the stand assembled, and apparently before I got up this morning the spouse took the sound system out of the box and started putting that together. The TV is staying boxed up until we’re ready to get it in place.

It’s a good thing Tuesday is trash day - the dumpster was getting really full.

I inventoried my clothes closet and I’ve decided I can defer laundry until next weekend. There is a MASSIVE pile in the back hallway, and it will probably take me a couple weeks to clear out the backlog, but I have to be ready to go back to work tomorrow. The spouse had a dentist appointment this morning and he’s picking up a few groceries on the way home. I also went and filed the paperwork this morning to get us withdrawn from foodstamps as we now definitely exceed the limit on assets.

I’m trying not to feel overwhelmed and anxious. It’s getting better. Really, going to work is going to feel almost restful on a certain level. But by next week I should be much more settled about all this, and I’ll be able to start whacking down the laundry pile.

It sounds like you have the mindset of someone who is capable of becoming more than a proto-hoarder–you have an intense attachment to stuff, even when you don’t know what that stuff is. You’re a hoarder with an SO and good conscience keeping you in check. Good on you for keeping it in check thus far.

You might find that therapy can help divest your identity from being all wrapped up in your stuff (and the stuff of others). Unless you can make a total commitment to keeping it tidy in the future (and who among us slobs can do that?? :p), this anxious circle is going to keep repeating for you. I do wish you the best at battering your clutter back, but it won’t *stay *back unless something changes. It’s very, very hard for hoarders to change. Many of them don’t want to change (or don’t think they need to). Or even if they maybe want to change, they find the battle insurmountable on their own. Without therapeutic intervention, this might one day be you.

It’s wonderful that you have an SO who will accommodate your cleaning neuroses (seriously, I’m jealous!). But I think it’d be even more wonderful to repay him by showing him that you’re working on minimizing those neuroses in the future. I also find I’m more motivated to clean when I’m going to have a guest, so scheduling weekly parties might get you to clean when you can’t be motivated to just do it for yourself.

Good luck! And congrats on the shiny new telly :smiley:

Actually, I do know what most of that stuff is. People in my life have occasionally marveled at how I can remember something from two, three, or even four decades ago and then actually go and find it in my pile of stuff. Eventually. :wink:

And I have a fairly good idea of why I’m that way - we moved around a lot when I was young so I never developed an attachment to place, and I have difficulty forming attachments to people sometimes, but things help me remember my past the way that a familiar street corner helps my spouse remember his childhood.

I have a very strong issue about the current notion that every problem in one’s life is to be turned over to an expert because we are all incapable of solving it on our own.

One BIG difference between me and other proto-hoarders is that I’ve 1) admitted the problem is there, 2) recognize the problem needs to be fixed, 3) WANT to fix the problem, and 4) am actually doing something about it. I don’t need a therapist to get me started on house cleaning because I am actually doing it. I am certain I am not doing it as fast as some people would like me to, but what is important is not how fast it gets done but once it’s done I maintain it. It wasn’t my spouse or family that prompted me to start going through this mountain of stuff, I did. They didn’t drag me kicking and screaming into clean-up, but I have occasionally drafted them to help me. I realize this might make me an exception, but so what?

During the past four years or so, despite chaos and stress in my life, I have removed about 200 books from my life, gotten rid of 20 years of old magazines, given half my closet to Goodwill, donated a lot of crafting materials I no longer need to others who can use them, gotten rid of all but 5 of my wicker basket collection, given away about a dozen afghans, and pruned my kitchen clutter by half. And that’s all something to be proud of. (Did you miss where I noted that where I used to have 40 boxes of crap I’m down to 16?) I also set up a genuine filing system about three years ago for important legal/financial/etc papers and >gasp!< I’ve actually maintained it! It is sooooo much nicer to be able to find important stuff in just five minutes than having to dig through stuff.

It’s not just neuroses - housecleaning really does make me physically ill. I know people usually think I’m joking about that but it’s true. Every night during this clean up project I’ve woken up at 2 or 3 am due to asthma flare ups. Both my arms, despite the use of long sleeves and gloves, have a rash from elbow to wrist. This is in addition to sneezing and coughing spasms, which I’ve minimized by using a dust mask - not one of those wimpy, near-useless “comfort mask” jobs but an industrial-grade half-mask with cartridge filters.

So it’s not just “neurosis” that makes me reluctant to clean house, it’s a real physical problem which isn’t making anything easier. No therapist is going to be able to change my allergies. Long term, I have to find a way to clean house that doesn’t make me too sick. I’m sure the fact that nearly every time I vacuumed or dusted when I was younger I wound up feeling physically ill contributed to this problem.

About a year ago I read a book I found very helpful: Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things. It gave me a lot more insight into hoarding, including why people hoarded. Not everyone hoards for the same reason, or with the same results. For example, while my front room filled up I never had discarded food anywhere, and the dishes were cleaned on a daily/every-other-day basis, the sink and bathroom scrubbed, and so forth. There were different strategies that worked to help different people. I’ve been gradually adopting what works for me and putting it into action.

I’ve also been getting rid of the cardboard - I’m trying to put what I am keeping in labeled, heavy duty-plastic bins which cuts down immensely on the dust/allergy problems so it’s ever so much easier to keep stuff clean going forward.

Like you said, I have to be the one who wants to change and to fix this problem. I’m just glad I came to that realization BEFORE I wound up on *Hoarders: Extreme Squalor

• or whatever is playing on cable TV these days. I didn’t get into this mess in a couple months or a year, it’s going to take me a few years to get out of it. Sure, you could just strip my house to the walls, but that’s not going to fix the underlying thought patterns and habits, is it? It’s like throwing a drunk into a padded room for a week - sure, there’s no alcohol left in his system, but at that point he’s just a dry drunk and will go right back to the bottle. If I don’t change my underlying dysfunctional behavior the mess will just accumulate again.

I probably will always keep a certain amount of “useless stuff” around out of sentiment, but I’m reducing that, and keeping it organized and clean and stored so it doesn’t take over.

Ew. My home is my refuge and I really don’t like having a lot of company over. Doing so every week would probably be just as stressful as cleaning house, except I’d have to clean house on top of it.

Yes, yes, that probably doesn’t help either, but there’s a limit to home much I can re-write my personality. I’m not that social an animal in real life.

That’s the thing, there’s no one-size fits all solution, really. I am getting to the point where I feel good about donating stuff to Goodwill or taking it to the recycler instead of panic, so I’m seeing that very much as a positive.

I’m opting for trying to develop habits. Washing the dishes for instance - I’ve gotten it so ingrained that when I don’t do it after breakfast I feel vaguely “wrong”. Took me about two years to get to that point, but now I just have to maintain it, which the more I do it the easier it gets.

Thank you!

Congrats on your efforts, I’m deeply impressed. I think your self-awareness is the key to your success and will be the cornerstone as you maintain things in the future.

Can I please ask you an honest question about your attachment to stuff? Do you have to be able to hold it, or would a photograph suffice? I often take pictures of my kids outgrown clothing blankets or other things that I find sentimental, so I can feel ok about purging it and that works for me but I know it wouldn’t work for everyone. Feel free to ignore me - this isn’t an “ask the” thread but I am wondering.

Again great job!

Bully For You! What a Wonderful Splendid Job you’ve done !!!

I don’t know you, but … you are inspiring me to start gutting MY junk-room – the “spare” bedroom – twin beds COVERED WITH ‘‘STUFF’’ (and ALL THE AREAS AROUND THESE TWO BEDS are also FILLED UP WITH ‘‘MORE STUFF’’). We moved into this place waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back last JUNE, for heaven’s sake. And never completely unpacked. (I confess that our new place is, in fact, larger than the one-bedroom renter my new spouse and I inhabited for 6 months.) The painters showed up in Nov., and some ADDITIONAL STUFF went upstairs to get out of the way. Christmas came and went, as has the New Year. Time to shuffle ALL THIS STUFF to where it really belongs :eek:

I promise to post when I’m DONE WITH THIS :smack: