Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM

A cow can climb up stairs...

But it can't come down. I read that little factoid and am wondering if it is actually true, and if it is true then--why can it climb up but not down?
Old 02-23-2012, 10:22 AM

I've seen bulls go up and down stairs.

There are variants of bull-fighting where the bulls are merely tortured teased into walking on and off various obstacles.
But of course cows have a somewhat different body shape so it could still be true.

Last edited by Mijin; 02-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseDonkey View Post
But it can't come down. I read that little factoid and am wondering if it is actually true, and if it is true then--why can it climb up but not down?
Yes, it's true. It has to do with they way their legs work. Here is one explanation...

"This is actually correct stating that a cow can be led upstairs but not down. The ankle and knee joints are mis-aligned for supporting the cows weight when traveling down stairs. Its not that they physically can't, its just that it is a lot of trouble for them. Imagine walking upstairs normally, but then when you come back down the stairs you have to wear a pair of ballet shoes and walk down on your tiptoes and you also have to bend forward at the waist the whole way down. you not only feel unstable, but you also feel like you might fall forward. This is probably similar to how the cow feels when trying to walk down stairs. Therefore, the animal is going to resist because of the fear of falling. Also a cows brain has trouble determining just how large a drop each step actually is, and the animal doesn't like uncertainty. That is why anti-cattle crossing lines work for keeping them contained."

I found it here

Last edited by dolphinboy; 02-23-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM

I thought it was camels and minarets. IIRC, the problem was that it couldn't turn around at the top, and couldn't walk downstairs backwards. Possibly an apocryphal story.

Here is a video of a cow walking down a few stairs, but not a long flight. I guess it depends on how steep the flight is. I'd be surprised to see one going down a ladder.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

It happened at least once on film:

In the TV series "Adam-12," in episode 7.16, title "Ladies' Night," originally airing on Feb 8, 1975, one of the adventures that the two cops run into is some cattle that are loose (in LA!).

Somehow one of them gets inside a building, and there is a scene in which one of the officers is very casually walking behind the cow down the stairs.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alka Seltzer View Post
IIRC, the problem was that it couldn't turn around at the top, and couldn't walk downstairs backwards.
Yes that could be it. When I saw a bull go down stairs it was a two sided staircase -- it went up one side and down the other side. It wasn't exactly graceful coming down, and I doubt it could have turned around on the stairs.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Bit of cow humor...

On Hollywood squares Paul Linde was asked, "You can't get a cow to go down a set of stairs, but can you get one to go up?"

(In your Paul Linde voice) "Sure, after three martinis."
Old 02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

As a senior prank, get a cow up to the school's roof. It usually takes a crane to get it down.

Joe
Old 02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresgeorge04 View Post
As a senior prank, get a cow up to the school's roof. It usually takes a crane to get it down.

Joe
In 1979 MIT students stole a fiberglas cow from the Hilltop Steakhouse on Route 1 in Saugus and put it atop the Great Dome (complete with a mortarboard), but there was a story that many years ago they actually lead a live cow up to the top of the dome. I don't know if it's true.

"Cows got no Down Genes" -- supposedly said by Howard Hesseman's character on WKRP. One of Pepper Mill's favorite quotes.

I don't think it's completely true in the sense of not being able to get down -- cows demonstrably can go down downward ramps. So, if the stairs are shallow enough, cows can get down. I just don't know how shallow that is.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 AM

There was an episode of Hill Street Blues in which a truck carrying cattle had an accident in a poor area of town and the cows got out. One elderly black gentleman had taken the cow up to his apartment (a few flights up) and was about to butcher him when the cops showed up. He's laughing as the cops are trying to get the cow to go back down the stairs. He's laughing his ass off and the frustrated cops finally ask him, "What the hell is so funny?" He replies, you can't get no cow to go down no stairs. Cows got no down genes." The delivery was hilarious.

Cut to the cops outside looking up a helicopter is lifting the cow off the roof (because cows do have "up" genes. The camera stays on the two cops as, evidently the harness broke and the cow got dropped back on the street.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
"Cows got no Down Genes" -- supposedly said by Howard Hesseman's character on WKRP. One of Pepper Mill's favorite quotes.
I know it was definitely said on Hill Street Blues. I wonder who used it first.

I just googled it and found a SD thread from 2006. See Post 15. Evidently the names of the HSB episode was Domestic Beef.

Found it. Go to 21:45.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:47 AM

Another video.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan01 View Post
I know it was definitely said on Hill Street Blues. I wonder who used it first.

I just googled it and found a SD thread from 2006. See Post 15. Evidently the names of the HSB episode was Domestic Beef.

Found it. Go to 21:45.
I suspect I was misinformed about the source, or misremembered what I'd been told. i didn't see it myself.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Nothing to answer the question, but I am dog sitting a Staffordshire bull terrier that is like this with one set of my stairs. He'll gladly go up them, but absolutely refuses to go down. Just one set of stairs, though. He'll navigate the other ones fine. I assume it has to do with his center of gravity and perception of whether he can make it down the stairs without tumbling down them. It certainly looks a lot more precarious going down the stairs, and I can imagine a cow being much the same.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I suspect I was misinformed about the source, or misremembered what I'd been told. i didn't see it myself.
Well, I don't know that I would put much faith in the guy that responded in the linked thread, so it would have been easy to forget.

BTW, the "Black vagrant" that that chuckle-head referred to was played by Arnold Johnson. He played "Hutch" in a couple of "Sanford & Son" eps. In one exchange:

Hutch: But I gotta play it straight with you--I'm an ex-con and I just got out of jail.

Fred: Well I'm gonna play it straight with you Hutton--I'm your ex-landlord and get out of my house!

Johnson also played the lead role in 1969's "Putnew Swope," and all his lines were dubbed. . . by Robert Downey Sr.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeinva View Post
Bit of cow humor...

On Hollywood squares Paul Linde was asked, "You can't get a cow to go down a set of stairs, but can you get one to go up?"

(In your Paul Linde voice) "Sure, after three martinis."

For some reason, that doesn't sound quite right. Wouldn't it make more sense like this?
"You can't get a cow to go up a set of stairs, but can you get one to go down?" "Sure, after three martinis."
Old 02-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDivmstr View Post
For some reason, that doesn't sound quite right. Wouldn't it make more sense like this?
"You can't get a cow to go up a set of stairs, but can you get one to go down?" "Sure, after three martinis."
I think Paul Lynde's joke was that, once you'd got the cow drunk enough, she was willing to go upstairs with you, for ...

Shows like this, from the 1970's, for example Hollywood Squares, or Match Game PM, had one or two seasoned, well-beloved, old school comedians who could get away with double-entendres. People just waited for their joke and went, "Oh, that guy"

Now, everybody on a TV show has to have their fair share of funny lines, so the effect is diluted. When Charles Nelson Reilly or Paul Lynde talked, you had to be ready for the subtle dirty joke. When Stewie Griffin comes on, you kinda expect an obvious one.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
I think Paul Lynde's joke was that, once you'd got the cow drunk enough, she was willing to go upstairs with you, for ...

Shows like this, from the 1970's, for example Hollywood Squares, or Match Game PM, had one or two seasoned, well-beloved, old school comedians who could get away with double-entendres. People just waited for their joke and went, "Oh, that guy"

Now, everybody on a TV show has to have their fair share of funny lines, so the effect is diluted. When Charles Nelson Reilly or Paul Lynde talked, you had to be ready for the subtle dirty joke. When Stewie Griffin comes on, you kinda expect an obvious one.
(bolding mine)

That makes perfect sense.

My sleazy little mind was going in a different direction.

Last edited by JBDivmstr; 02-23-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: corekt speling an gramar ar a gud thang
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM

If you've all finished with your bovine blowjobs, how the fuck do I get my camel down from my minaret?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you've all finished with your bovine blowjobs, how the fuck do I get my camel down from my minaret?
If they're anything like cows, your best bet is to disassemble it at the top and carry the pieces down. Then you can re-assemble it as best you can at the bottom.

Or push it off the top.

If you want a live camel at the bottom, I think you'll have to get a crane.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
I thought it was camels and minarets. IIRC, the problem was that it couldn't turn around at the top, and couldn't walk downstairs backwards. Possibly an apocryphal story.

Here is a video of a cow walking down a few stairs, but not a long flight. I guess it depends on how steep the flight is. I'd be surprised to see one going down a ladder.
Not a cow, but a bull, in the video.

Last edited by picunurse; 02-23-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinboy View Post
Yes, it's true. It has to do with they way their legs work. Here is one explanation......

I found it here

Yahoo answers, a website where any moron can take a guess at the answer, and most do.

No, it isn't true. And that answer is a load of shit.

Cattle can and do walk up and down stairs all the time with no problems at all. Want photographic proof? No Worries. You'll note that those animals aren't being pushed down stairs by people, they are casually strolling down stairs by themselves.

If cows had the sorts of problems that answer suggests, then they would not be able to walk down embankments any more easily than they can walk down stairs. No animals could actually evolve like that, because in the real world it would they would die of thirst, being unable to walk down stream banks to obtain water.

And no, cattle do not have trouble determining just how large a drop each step actually is, and no, that is not why anti-cattle crossing lines work for keeping them contained. Cattle crossing lines work because they produce the illusion of being a cattle grid. Grids work because, if the animal were to try to walk over it, it would likely break its leg. It has nothing whatsoever t do with how large the drop is. The cattle know exactly how far the drop is, and they know it's far` enough to break their leg. If cattle aren't pre-trained to avoid crossing lines through exposure to grids, the lines don't work. Even grids don't work on naive cattle if they fill with dirt. Cattle don't think much, but they are not blind.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

You don't get camel down from a minaret, you get down from a duck.

On a more serious note, wouldn't this be a serious evolutionary shortcoming? OK, there aren't any stairs in nature, but there are hills of various slopes. You'd expect that sometimes, a cow would follow the tasty green grass to the top of a hill, but then find that it's too steep to come back down, and be trapped.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picunurse View Post
Not a cow, but a bull, in the video.
How can you tell from that angle?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

And I posted that before I saw Blake's answer, there. Yeah, a river bank would be an even better example.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

As I've noted, cows will go down inclines, provided they're shallow enough.

You'd think that in nature, cows would be able to cope with steep inclines (goats certainly do), but cows aren't "in nature" -- they're the result of lots of selective breeding by people that has resulted in that large udder, for one thing. I suspect that the closer to a wild cow you get, the more nimble it would be on slopes. relatively speaking, anyway.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
On a more serious note, wouldn't this be a serious evolutionary shortcoming? OK, there aren't any stairs in nature, but there are hills of various slopes. You'd expect that sometimes, a cow would follow the tasty green grass to the top of a hill, but then find that it's too steep to come back down, and be trapped.
Never mind that, in most places where cattle live the only water naturally available is in streams with steep banks. Cattle would die of thirst long before they had to worry about getting down hills.

It would also mean that every stream would be an insurmountable barrier. Cattle would routinely have to walk miles out of their way just to cross a stream a few inches deep.

It's an absolutely ludicrous idea.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM

It's obvious that cows can go down stairs, but I suspect the legend may have a bit of truth to it. I can see a cow being very reluctant to go down a long, steep flight, with the potential for things to go very badly wrong. I think it would present more of a challenge to a quadruped than a slope of the same steepness, because of the potential to miss steps.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
As I've noted, cows will go down inclines, provided they're shallow enough.

That statement is equally true of humans or rabbits or duck billed playpuses. Basically, if an animal isn't a tree climber, there will be some incline that is too steep for it to go down.

However, as this picture proves, the incline that cattle will willingly negotiate is steeper than a typical set of stairs.

Obviously at some point you can produce an incline that is too steep for cattle to negotiate, but that is about the same point where a human can't climb without using their hands

Quote:
...cows aren't "in nature" -- they're the result of lots of selective breeding by people that has resulted in that large udder, for one thing.
At a guess maybe 5% of cattle have an udder larger than that found in their wild ancestors.

Quote:
I suspect that the closer to a wild cow you get, the more nimble it would be on slopes. relatively speaking, anyway.
I doubt if that is true. Most cattle are already living in in approximately natural environment with plenty of steep inclines to negotiate.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
Yahoo answers, a website where any moron can take a guess at the answer, and most do.

No, it isn't true. And that answer is a load of shit.

Cattle can and do walk up and down stairs all the time with no problems at all. Want photographic proof? No Worries. You'll note that those animals aren't being pushed down stairs by people, they are casually strolling down stairs by themselves.

If cows had the sorts of problems that answer suggests, then they would not be able to walk down embankments any more easily than they can walk down stairs. No animals could actually evolve like that, because in the real world it would they would die of thirst, being unable to walk down stream banks to obtain water.
Wait. While it seems to be settled that cows can walk down stairs, are you denying that their physiology makes it difficult for them to do so? An embankment is a different thing than a flight of stairs, in that it's more of a constant slope. I don't think anyone is suggesting that a cow can't walk down a ramp. But stairs introduce a different angle. Looking at the legs of a cow it seems logical that going down stairs would be more difficult/less natural thing for them to do than walking down an embankment or ramp.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM

In my experience, going downward is more difficult than upward for humans too. When I'm hiking up a slope, I always have to be mindful of the fact that eventually I'll have to come back down. Then, your center of gravity is more precarious, you're using a different set of muscles, and your toes might be jammed into your shoes. And as for stairs, I have cartilage problems in my knees, and walking down stairs is much more painful than walking up. Same with my torn achilles tendon a few years ago.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Wait. While it seems to be settled that cows can walk down stairs, are you denying that their physiology makes it difficult for them to do so?
There's no question that cow anatomy makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs. But before you go A-Ha, you need to realise that human anatomy makes it difficult for humans to walk down stair. And duck-billed platypus anatomy makes it difficult for duck-billed platypodes to walk down stairs. The anatomy of almost any animal that doesn't climb trees makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs.

The question is not whether cow anatomy makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs. The question is whether cows find significantly harder to walk down stairs than any other randomly selected animal. I see no evidence for that claim being presented here. I've spent most of my life working with and around cattle, and I've never seen any evidence that they find it particularly hard to walk down stairs. Cattle aren't the most agile animals in the world, but to the extent that they can walk at all they can walk up and down stairs just fine.

Quote:
An embankment is a different thing than a flight of stairs, in that it's more of a constant slope.
A stream bank is almost never a constant slope. In the real world, stream banks look like this. The slope is not in any sense constant. It's all over the place, broken by tree roots, fallen logs and rocks and simply by the flow of water.

About the only place a stream bank has a constant slope in on golf courses, where they have been carefully sculpted by humans and get repaired after every storm.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that a cow can't walk down a ramp.
Since we have photographic proof that cattle willingly walk down stairs, I would hope that no one is suggesting that cattle can't walk down stairs either.

Quote:
But stairs introduce a different angle. Looking at the legs of a cow it seems logical that going down stairs would be more difficult/less natural thing for them to do than walking down an embankment or ramp.
That is almost certainly true WRT ramps, but the same is true of humans. Do you think that justifies a claim that humans can't walk down stairs?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
You don't get camel down from a minaret, you get down from a duck.
How do you get Camel down from a duck? And what's Camel doing on top of duck in the first place? The implications are staggering. What will the babies look like?

Oh, wait.... Back to the OP or something like it: Some posts above suggest that it has something to do with the animal's familiarity with the terrain. I could easily see a cow not wanting to walk down steps if said cow is unaccustomed to walking down steps, but doing so after becoming accustomed. That's my interpretation of what's going on in some of those photos posted above.

Try getting a dolphin to swim through an underwater tunnel sometime -- even if it's short and very visibly leads into another nearby open-air tank will full sky light visible ahead. We had two large circular tanks, about 8 feet between them at the closest. We built an open-air channel, about 6 feet wide, connecting them. It took about three weeks before one of the dolphins got bold enough to swim through (and another week before it swam back). During the construction, we had them in another tank at a fisheries research place, where there was a short (about 5 feet long) underwater tunnel connecting to another tank. The dolphins absolutely refused to swim through that -- they don't like to go anywhere that they can't immediately get to the surface directly above them.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
There's no question that cow anatomy makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs. But before you go A-Ha, you need to realise that human anatomy makes it difficult for humans to walk down stair. And duck-billed platypus anatomy makes it difficult for duck-billed platypodes to walk down stairs. The anatomy of almost any animal that doesn't climb trees makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs.
True, but just because different species might be ill-suited to walking down stairs downs mean that each of those species is equally ill-suited to walk down stairs.

Quote:
The question is not whether cow anatomy makes it difficult for them to walk down stairs. The question is whether cows find significantly harder to walk down stairs than any other randomly selected animal. I see no evidence for that claim being presented here.
I don't think the claim is that cows have the most difficulty, only that they do have difficulty. I'm sure they're might be animals that have an equally difficult time, or worse. It seems to me that a combination of their leg anatomy and the absence of pads (like a dog) or a flexible foot (humans) and their size in relation to the size of the steps would make it more difficult for them.

Quote:
I've spent most of my life working with and around cattle, and I've never seen any evidence that they find it particularly hard to walk down stairs. Cattle aren't the most agile animals in the world, but to the extent that they can walk at all they can walk up and down stairs just fine.

A stream bank is almost never a constant slope. In the real world, stream banks look like this. The slope is not in any sense constant. It's all over the place, broken by tree roots, fallen logs and rocks and simply by the flow of water.
Oh, I didn't know that. I thought they were all smooth, gradual, and well-tended. Seriously though, while I do not question that stream banks like the one you pictured can be negotiated by cows, a cow is not a cat. A big cat would jump/walk off the steepest part of that embankment as easily as stroll down to a more gently sloping area. A cow will seek the more gentle slope. Do you deny that? Adding to my list of reasons above, an embankment also has give, which is especially helpful for a foot/paw that does not have a pad.

Any way, I think we've established that cows can, in fact, go down stairs. I'm just not surprised that they would not have an easy time of it.

Quote:
That is almost certainly true WRT ramps, but the same is true of humans. Do you think that justifies a claim that humans can't walk down stairs?
No one is offering an argument based on any logic that would allow this leap your making. I direct you to my answers up-post.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
How do you get Camel down from a duck? And what's Camel doing on top of duck in the first place? The implications are staggering. What will the babies look like?

Oh, wait.... Back to the OP or something like it: Some posts above suggest that it has something to do with the animal's familiarity with the terrain. I could easily see a cow not wanting to walk down steps if said cow is unaccustomed to walking down steps, but doing so after becoming accustomed. That's my interpretation of what's going on in some of those photos posted above.

Try getting a dolphin to swim through an underwater tunnel sometime -- even if it's short and very visibly leads into another nearby open-air tank will full sky light visible ahead. We had two large circular tanks, about 8 feet between them at the closest. We built an open-air channel, about 6 feet wide, connecting them. It took about three weeks before one of the dolphins got bold enough to swim through (and another week before it swam back). During the construction, we had them in another tank at a fisheries research place, where there was a short (about 5 feet long) underwater tunnel connecting to another tank. The dolphins absolutely refused to swim through that -- they don't like to go anywhere that they can't immediately get to the surface directly above them.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. But how are they on stairs?
Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
How can you tell from that angle?
See the pee pee in the middle? Cows don't have that.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Steers can clear a 6 foot metal gate. I cleared it just a few seconds before.
Never know what you can do until you really really need to.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing that. But how are they [dolphins] on stairs?
They just might be able to handle that. Almost. It's unbelievable how shallow the water can be, that they can still move around in. Don't know about natural mud or sandy bottoms, but our tanks were painted concrete with hard smooth bottom. We drained the tank every Sunday to scrub them. The tank was divided into two sections, a larger one and a smaller one, by a low wall about a foot high. (When full, the tank is about six feet deep or so.) We put the dolphins into whichever sections of the tank we weren't cleaning at the moment. But they always wanted to climb back and forth over that low wall -- it was a game for them. In the larger section, sometimes we had only an inch of water in the bottom, and they'd come over, and they could still scoot themselves around on their bellies. Even more impressive, with only an inch or so of water, they could still climb over the low wall back to the other side. You'd think they were big fat gastropods.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwakkeddup View Post
Steers can clear a 6 foot metal gate. I cleared it just a few seconds before.
Never know what you can do until you really really need to.
I always thought steers tended to be docile. I thought that was one of the reasons little bulls are made to grow up into steers. Shows what I know.

However, I saw a cow climb over a fence once. I think it might have been about four feet high. It was in a rodeo arena, during a team penning exhibition. One cow got so freaked out that it climbed out of the arena over the fence. I think it was one of the cows with the number that the announcer called, so the contestants couldn't pen it obviously. The judges had to break out the rule book to look up what to do about that. I think the conclusion was: that group of contestants got disqualified. Too bad. Then they had to send some cowboys out to round up that cow and bring it back.

ETA: Wikipedia description of team penning for you city greenhorns.

Last edited by Senegoid; 02-24-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:52 AM

Quote:
True, but just because different species might be ill-suited to walking down stairs downs mean that each of those species is equally ill-suited to walk down stairs.
That is true. But the important point for this thread is that it doesn't mean that they aren't.

The claim has been made firstly that cows can't walk down stairs at all, which anybody who knows anything about cattle can tell you is nonsense. And now the claim is being made that cattle find it harder to negotiate stairs than humans do, and that also seems like nonsense to me. I certainly haven't seen any evidence for.

Quote:
It seems to me that a combination of their leg anatomy and the absence of pads (like a dog) or a flexible foot (humans) and their size in relation to the size of the steps would make it more difficult for them.
Well do you have any evidence for that claim? This is GQ. If you have any evidence, then please present it. (Caveat: this of course precludes the use of handrails by either species).

Failing that, can you give me a brief description of your experience with cattle that leads you to believe this.

Quote:
Seriously though, while I do not question that stream banks like the one you pictured can be negotiated by cows, a cow is not a cat. A big cat would jump/walk off the steepest part of that embankment as easily as stroll down to a more gently sloping area. A cow will seek the more gentle slope. Do you deny that?
Not only don't I deny it, I said it first. If an animal isn't a tree climber, there will be some incline that is too steep for it to go down. Cats, of course, are tree climbers.

Quote:
Adding to my list of reasons above, an embankment also has give, which is especially helpful for a foot/paw that does not have a pad.
No idea what this means. you seem to be saying that cattle, which lack pads, would be better able to negotiate the terrain than cats, which do.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
No idea what this means. you seem to be saying that cattle, which lack pads, would be better able to negotiate the terrain than cats, which do.
Emphasis the other way, I think; the idea is that a yielding surface offers more grip to an unguligrade than a non-yielding one, whereas a digitigrade would be happy with either.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
I always thought steers tended to be docile. I thought that was one of the reasons little bulls are made to grow up into steers. Shows what I know.

However, I saw a cow climb over a fence once. I think it might have been about four feet high. It was in a rodeo arena, during a team penning exhibition. One cow got so freaked out that it climbed out of the arena over the fence. I think it was one of the cows with the number that the announcer called, so the contestants couldn't pen it obviously. The judges had to break out the rule book to look up what to do about that. I think the conclusion was: that group of contestants got disqualified. Too bad. Then they had to send some cowboys out to round up that cow and bring it back.

ETA: Wikipedia description of team penning for you city greenhorns.
Having read the basic description of team penning on wikipedia, I'm more confused rather than less. If the cow that freaked out had its number called, then "the contestants couldn't pen it obviously" doesn't make sense. By calling that cow's number, wasn't that cow thus designated as precisely a cow the contestants could and indeed should be penning. Or do you mean that the escaped cow was not one of the designated "target" cows?
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM

I suspect that the difficulty cows have negotiating stairs has a lot to do with their lack of familiarity with them.

Most dogs go up and down stairs easily, but I fostered a GSD adult rescue that had never seen stairs before and she was very unsure and reluctant to use them. Down seemed to be more difficult for her than up.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
Having read the basic description of team penning on wikipedia, I'm more confused rather than less. If the cow that freaked out had its number called, then "the contestants couldn't pen it obviously" doesn't make sense. By calling that cow's number, wasn't that cow thus designated as precisely a cow the contestants could and indeed should be penning. Or do you mean that the escaped cow was not one of the designated "target" cows?
Penning isn't an imitation of rounding up cattle from the range and getting them into a corral, it's an imitation of all the sorting and shuffling cattle into their correct boxes that happens after they've been rounded up. As a sport, penning is done in a large arena with 30 head of cattle milling around. There's a small pen set up at one end of the arena, the goal is to get the target cows (and no others) into that smaller pen. I think Senegoid was saying that the cow climbed the arena fence and was trotting away through the parking lot. It's the cow equivalent of a foul ball, I suppose, only no-one knew what the rules were to handle it.

I always interpreted the original statement to mean 'it's easy to get cows to go up stairs, but then you can't get the #$@#$% to go back down', not 'cows physically can't walk down a staircase'.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bredin View Post
To clarify that a little bit: Perhaps you are confused as to the order in which the events happened:

The announcer calls a number (0 to 9) at the beginning of the round.
Then the three contestants (who are working as a team, not as opponents) have to chase down the three cows with that number and chase them into a pen.
As they were doing this, one of those three "target" cows climbed over the fence and left the arena completely. So there was then no way for the contestants to pen that cow. So they forfeited that round and essentially got disqualified, through no fault of their own.

On the other hand, there was another round, with a different team of contestants, where everything broke just right for the players. As the contestants approached the herd, three of the cows broke away from the herd and headed away, toward the pen end of the arena -- And they were just the three cows with the "target" number. The contestants got them penned in about 10 seconds.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picunurse View Post
See the pee pee in the middle? Cows don't have that.
I commend your pee-pee spotting skills, which are surely greater than mine.

(Cow can refer to the species as well as sex btw, and often is.)