Google's doodle today will obviously recognize D-Day, right? Wrong. It's about drive-ins.

Seriously, Google?

Has Google ever commemorated a battle?

Does that mean that we can never recognize anything else that happened on June 6? I’m all for honoring the D-Day invaders. The courage that those guys had is unbelievable, to open the doors on the landers and get greeted by machine gun fire is something we can’t even wrap our brains around. I’m glad my father was too young to get in the war at that point, else I might not be here to think about it. Yes, we need to remember D-Day. But that doesn’t mean that nothing else that anyone ever does is unworthy of a small recognition.

I second this post!

When I go to google.com it redirects me to googel.ca, where the normal Google logo is displayed. :frowning:

I’m perusing the Google Doodles from past years, and there has been commemorations for the Dragon Boat Festival, 25 years of Tetris, and Sweden National Day, but no D-Day.

Google has done Veterans Day doodles, however. Perhaps in two years, at the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landing, that would be a fine occasion to commemorate this truly historic event.

I’m sure google would be more than happy to receive a list from you of acceptable daily doodles.

You know who else liked to approve daily doodles?

My art teacher in 6th grade? Man, she was a bitch.

IIRC they put out a statement a few years ago how they thought google doodles were too whimsical and they thought it was irreverent to use it for items like D-Day.

They explained it better but that was the idea, they thought it was belittling to base a “google doodle” on grave events.

I think that’s a perfectly appropriate way of looking at it.

Yeah, they’re only saying that because they couldn’t agree on which Holocaust doodle to use.

It is indeed a shame.

World War II soldiers have been seriously under-memorialized in our culture. I mean, who the hell even knows what WWII is anymore? There are no movies about their heroism, no books extolling their bravery, no memorials and statues to stand as monuments to their sacrifices.

I’ve always believed that we can address this shameful neglect by having a small piece of software inserted for a day on an internet search engine, and i’m glad that someone else is finally willing to join my crusade.

Someone apparently missed the boat, so to speak. Speaking of WWII, I watched a show on the Military Channel and a D-Day Veteran was on speaking about how our young aren’t really taught very much history about the 2 World Wars. He said he was speaking at a high school one day and was introduced as “A Veteran from World War Eleven!” :):slight_smile:

Q

Out of curiosity I Googled google 9/11 doodle and apparently a lot of people were similarly pissed that there wasn’t a whimsical 9/11 doodle. Hey, they could have made the 'O’s in “Google” be the engines of an incoming jet, how hard would that have been?

In 30 years there will be a course at some University titled, “The Google Doodle as a Social Marker” and then we will look like fools! FOOLS! for not considering the implications.

I donno, this is kinda grave.

The same person who didn’t really like D-Day? :wink:

Wow, Inner Stickler’s art teacher really was a bitch! :stuck_out_tongue:

Christ O’Jesus, we already have Memorial Day, Veterans Day, the 4th of July is now effectively a military holiday. Do we have to militarize every goddamn day on the calendar?

If anyone truly feels the troops aren’t appreciated enough, lobby to grant a 50% pay increase to every serviceman/woman under E7, the ones who actually get shot at. A yellow ribbon is nice but you can’t feed it to your family.