The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 07-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Dancing with the Stars -- DWTS -- Fall 2012 -- All Stars

The cast -- or most of it -- has been announced.

Returning stars:

Apolo Anton Onho
Bristol Palin
Drew Lachey
Emmitt Smith
Gilles Marini
Helio Castroneves
Joey Fatone
Kelly Monaco
Kirstie Alley
Melissa Rycroft
Pamela Anderson
Shawn Johnson

(That's, what, six champs? Apolo, Drew, Emmitt, Helio, Kelly [contested], Shawn)

The pros are: Anna, Chelsie, Cheryl, Derek, Karina, Kym, Maks, Mark, Peta, Tony, Tristan, and Val.

There will be a 13th All-Star star, chosen by viewer vote: Carson Kressley, Kyle Massey, Sabrina Bryan.

This could be a very interesting season. I'm not seeing partner assignments -- wonder how they'll do that? Can't be by original partner, because several of those guys were partnered with Cheryl, IIRC.
Advertisements  
Old 07-27-2012, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Good Lord, not Carson Kressley. He's just not a dancer. I don't think Brostol Palin deserves to be there, but she did consistantly improve. But to put her up against Gilles, Helio and Apolo Anton Ohno? Not even close. I think Sabrina should be in there - she was a great dancer eliminated before her time.

StG
Old 07-27-2012, 03:19 PM

Bristol, Pamela Anderson, Kirstie in the same cast as those prior winners? That's just bizarre. Kirstie did ok in what was a fairly mediocre season. But, she's no dancer.

I'm excited to see Melissa Rycroft in the cast. I hope she's still in reasonable shape for dancing. Shawn Johnson was just a little kid when she danced with Mark. I'm curious to see how her dancing changes as a grownup. I thought Shawn was injured?? She just recently pulled out of the Olympics and retired last month.

Can't believe they aren't letting Sabrina Bryan in the cast. She's worked her ass off dancing and supporting dwts in Vegas this summer.

Kelly Monaco?? Geez, it's been what??? 5 or 6 years ago when she won? She'll have to relearn all the dances from scratch.

Last edited by aceplace57; 07-27-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM

No Louis Van Amstel or Lacey Schwimmer? I guess the show won't ever let Louis come back. Who did he piss off? He needs to move on and forget dwts.

Lacey Schwimmer has been headlining Vegas dwts all summer and is finally back in top dance shape. Why would they snub her this season?
Old 07-28-2012, 11:52 AM

I loved Carson but put my votes towards Sabrina. I'd like to see that girl get another chance. They should bring Carson on as a commentator, or maybe he can join Dance Center with Kenny Mayne.

Louis does do choreography for the show, seems like he does a lot of the group numbers.

Bristol Palin. Good grief. Let's get her off the show FAST.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM

Pairings announced this morning

Here's a version with pix and commentary.

All are with their original partner, unless noted.

Apolo & Karina [originally with Julianne]
Bristol & Mark
Drew & Anna [originally with Cheryl]
Emmit & Cheryl
Gilles & Peta [originally with Cheryl]
Helio & Chelsie [originally with Julianne]
Joey & Kym
Kelly & Val [originally with Alec Maza]
Kirstie & Max
Melissa & Tony
Pamela & Tristan [originally with Damian Whitewood]
Shawn & Derek [originally with Mark; none of Derek's exes are on this season]

Poor Tristan, he's screwed.

I wonder if Cheryl got to pick which winning partner she wanted to dance with?
Old 08-13-2012, 12:09 PM

Tristan and Pam is going to be an unexpected surprise. I think Pam is underrated and unfortunately she got a pro that was rather quiet and too small to properly frame her. So they probably won't get to the end, but Im really interested in this pair.

Cheryl has to be proud. Despite others who got former partners, she is the only one who had three of her partners actually coming back. I think it will be very interesting. in season three there was an emphasis on actual ballroom. Now people prefer the Hough style of pulling your partner through the routine without paying attention to proper dance style as long as its flashy. I think Cheryl will modify her choreography style to move away from the solid actual ballroom to showcase Emmitts Personality and strength, and they being the only pair to have won the first time, will be looking to defend the title. Emmit has specifically come out of retirement, after having said he wouldn't come back, so they must be serious.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:38 PM

I feel sorry for Mark. Another season trying to get some kind of performance from Bristol. I never saw anyone with less emotion or energy performing.

I wonder how Apollo and Karina will get along? iirc he's a pretty cocky guy. Karina better not try bossing him around.

Anna and Drew should be fun to watch.

Still voting for Sabrina. I want to see her and Louis together.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-13-2012 at 01:39 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 04:29 PM

it is pretty shocking that NONE of Derek's former partners could clear their schedules to come back. you've got Cheryl with three, Mark with two and possibly three if Sabrina returns, Kym with Joey, Tony and Melissa and Maks with both Mel B and Kirstie fighting over him with Kirstie winning out. it just seems odd that the winningest pro has not a single winner with him.

Anyway, I never thought Shawn was much of a performer.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
Here's a version with pix and commentary.

Apolo & Karina [originally with Julianne]
Bristol & Mark
Drew & Anna [originally with Cheryl]
Emmit & Cheryl
Gilles & Peta [originally with Cheryl]
Helio & Chelsie [originally with Julianne]
Joey & Kym
Kelly & Val [originally with Alec Maza]
Kirstie & Max
Melissa & Tony
Pamela & Tristan [originally with Damian Whitewood]
Shawn & Derek [originally with Mark; none of Derek's exes are on this season]

Poor Tristan, he's screwed.

I wonder if Cheryl got to pick which winning partner she wanted to dance with?
I think Cheryl did indeed pick Emmitt, she Always speaks highly of him and he has steadfastly supported her throughout the seasons. Gilles signed on late in the Game, and while they may have hoped for a season of finalists who didn't win initially, when the season included past winners she obviously went with her favorite partner.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiethewestie View Post
it is pretty shocking that NONE of Derek's former partners could clear their schedules to come back.
Well, he won with Brooke, who's now a host; Nicole Scherzinger, who just got fired from X Factor; and Jennifer Grey, who's got serious medical issues with her neck/spine. Not too surprising none of them would come back. His next best finish was a third with Ricki Lake, who's launching a talk show this fall.

Linkie.

Last edited by twickster; 08-13-2012 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: changed a comma to a semicolon
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM

Eh,
Brooke could have come back but she's too afraid shed lose her job that she's terrible at, Nicole's singing career is in the toilet and could have come back to redeem herself after her disaster on the Us xfactor or what about the also rans Jennie Garth isn't doing anything but divorcing her husband, And what about Lil Kym, both of whom placed higher than either Pam Anderson or Sabrina. no it smells like they didn't want to have to come back to Derek.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 08-13-2012 at 06:37 PM..
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Pre-Season VEGAS odds from Bodog

Apolo Anton Ono
9/2

Helio Castroneves
5/1

Emmitt Smith
6/1

Shawn Johnson
6/1

Drew Lachey
15/2

Joey Fatone
15/2

Giles Marini
9/1

Kirstie Alley
14/1

Kelly Monaco
15/1

Melissa Rycroft
18/1

Kyle Massey/Sabrina Bryan/Carson Kressley
20/1

Bristol Palin
25/1

Pamela Anderson
40/1

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 08-14-2012 at 09:32 AM..
Old 08-15-2012, 03:28 AM

I wonder if having prior dwts experience matters? Do they really remember a tango or samba they learned in a week? Most of these celebs were on over two years ago. Emmitt and kelly Monaco four years ago.

I'm hoping to see better dancing in All Stars. Hope I'm not disappointed.

The ones that spent the summer doing the Vegas dwts show may have an advantage. I think Joey and Sabrina did nearly all the shows.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:01 PM

Kelly was 2005 and Emmitt 2006 so it has been quite awhile. The Vegas show peeps have the advantage, no question, so expect Joey to come out strong but only if he also worked on his rather clunky flat footedness.

None of the celebs, unless they are dancers will have retained a lot, but a lot of sequences will come back with a few practices. This is show dancing, not ballroom dancing to do at a wedding, so it's chunked out for expediency and flash, not for repetitive steps to re use socially. I think if any of them decided to take some lessons, it can help smooth out and polish the technique. It is like a ballet dancer at the barre, the more time you put into the basics, the more beautiful your line and technique.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:41 PM

Hope Solo's new book claims Maks slapped her during a rehearsal.

I recall footage of Maks grabbing Hope roughly during rehearsals. Jerking her into positions he wanted. At the time people brushed it off. She's a tough soccer goalie. There was some kind of ugly incident during a team dance rehearsal that seemed to leave the other pros uncomfortable. They aired some of that footage but not the actual incident. dwts has been covering up for this jerk too long.

This may be enough to finally get Maks a ticket off the show. He's become too toxic. imho If they are smart they'll replace him before all stars starts rehearsals.

Quote:
“He manhandled me in rehearsals from the start, pushing me, whacking my stomach, bending my arms roughly," Solo writes in "Solo: A Memoir of Hope, which was published just this week. "I thought that was just how it went – how dancers worked with each other. But it kept getting worse. One day, Maks was trying to put me in a certain position and hit my stomach so hard with his open palm that I had a red handprint there for the rest of the day.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1797789.html
Quote:
Speaking to ESPN’s “First Take” on Friday morning about her claims (she also alleged Maks “manhandled” her during rehearsals and berated her for being less than ladylike),
http://www.accesshollywood.com/hope-..._article_68653

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-17-2012 at 06:44 PM..
Old 08-17-2012, 07:03 PM

OTOH Maks seemed to have a cordial relationship with Kirstie Alley. He seemed like a different guy. Kirstie tweeted support for Maks yesterday.

erin andrews and Hope seemed to have the most volatile partnerships with Maks. He wouldn't have dared getting rough with Laila Ali. She would have busted his jaw.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-17-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 08-19-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Hope Solo's new book claims Maks slapped her during a rehearsal.

I recall footage of Maks grabbing Hope roughly during rehearsals. Jerking her into positions he wanted. At the time people brushed it off. She's a tough soccer goalie. There was some kind of ugly incident during a team dance rehearsal that seemed to leave the other pros uncomfortable. They aired some of that footage but not the actual incident. dwts has been covering up for this jerk too long.

This may be enough to finally get Maks a ticket off the show. He's become too toxic. imho If they are smart they'll replace him before all stars starts rehearsals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1797789.html

http://www.accesshollywood.com/hope-..._article_68653
I wanted him gone when the incident occurred on camera with Hope during season 13. He has a history of abuse, from Laila Ali hating him, she said she'd never do a show with him again, to Brandi getting slapped, to Debi Mazur getting yelled at totally in her face, and according to her much worse off camera, to Melissa Gibert getting treated like crap last season, I totally agree, he's not what a dance teacher /coach should act like on a fluffy reality show. The producers are douche bags for keeping a guy like him on for ratings. They have created a toxic work place and would rather cover their asses with a waiver instead of doing the right thing. It doesn't matter if Hope was a well liked contestant or not, the show put her in a horrible position, if she requested another pro to have stepped in it would be her fault Maks lost his job. The show basically passed the buck, instead of terminating Maks full stop. But of course this the network that puts douche bag women beaters on, like Chris Brown, so it's not like they give a shit when it comes to violence against women.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 08-19-2012 at 12:36 AM..
Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 PM

Drew sounds like a classy guy. He's taking time out to help kids before dwts rehearsals start. He makes a good point about getting a new partner. I'm looking forward to seeing what Anna can do with someone that has such strong dance & performance abilities. I think this may be a fun pair to watch this season.
http://washingtonexaminer.com/lachey...9#.UDKacKCi9K0
Quote:
Drew Lachey is not taking it easy before he reunites with boy band 98 Degrees and appears on "Dancing with the Stars."

He's busy teaching at a Cincinnati-area performing arts day camp that he opened with his wife, Lea.

"My wife and I were both so influenced by the arts growing up that we wanted to be able to pass on our knowledge and experience as professional performers to the next generation," Lachey said in a recent interview.
Quote:
This time around Lachey will be paired with Ana Trebunskaya. His former partner Cheryl Burke will dance with Emmitt Smith.

Lachey described not working with Burke as "bittersweet."

"There's history there and we know how to work together and how to dance together but there's also excitement to do something new. A new partner, a new dynamic, a new style, new choreography, new techniques," he said.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-20-2012 at 03:22 PM..
Old 08-25-2012, 03:31 PM

I wanted to see which seasons got represented. Seasons 6,7,9,13 and 14 were ignored for All Stars.

Kelly & Val [originally with Alec Maza] Season 1 Summer 2005

Drew & Anna [originally with Cheryl] Season 2, Winter 2006

Emmit & Cheryl Season 3 Fall 2006

Apolo & Karina [originally with Julianne] Season 4, Spring 2007
Joey & Kym Season 4, Spring 2007

Helio & Chelsie [originally with Julianne] Season 5, Fall 2007

Gilles & Peta [originally with Cheryl] Season 8, Spring 2009
Melissa & Tony Season 8, Spring 2009
Shawn & Derek [originally with Mark] Season 8, Spring 2009

Pamela & Tristan [originally with Damian Whitewood] Season 10, Spring 2010
Bristol & Mark Season 11,Fall 2010
Kirstie & Max Season 12 Spring 2011

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-25-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 08-25-2012, 11:10 PM

I don't have a hard time believing what Hope Solo is saying, especially looking back at a series of questionable incidents with multiple partners that seem to suggest a pattern with Maks. Unfortunately, she has a somewhat unlikeable personality, which seems to make her a less sympathetic victim to some people (not me). I've always thought Maks was sexy in an arrogant, bad boy sort of way, but I am officially over him. Kirstie Alley's defense of him reeks of desperation. She has good stage presence, but is not nearly as good of a dancer as she thinks she is. I predict that the producers will either help keep them on for the controversy, or help them to an early exit.

My fave is Gilles! He's got the moves and the looks (yum!) and he seems to be better known than he was his first time on the show. Apolo is right up there for me too, but nothing will ever be as cute as he and Juliane were together.

Bristol - meh. She'll probably get more votes than she deserves again. I would probably vote a lot more if I could vote against people!

Could they please fire Brooke and hire Carson to do the backstage interviews? There aren't enough sequins to make up for her lackluster personality.

Last edited by Kitty A.; 08-25-2012 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Damn you, auto correct!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 AM

13th contestant announced

Sabrina -- partnered with Louis! Woo hoo!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Great news! I've always wanted to see Louis partnered with someone that has a strong dance background. This should be the chance to finally see why Louis won all those international ballroom titles. Sabrina can handle Louis' choreography.

Sabrina is from Season 5 Fall 2007. Helio is also from that season.

I hope Sabrina learned a lesson from her early elimination. Tone down the hip hop references. Mark even included hip hop moves in their dances. I think that cost her the mom & pop votes.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-27-2012 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-27-2012, 09:51 AM

First interview with Louis and Sabrina.
http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/dancing...rs/after-party
Old 08-27-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I wanted to see which seasons got represented. Seasons 6,7,9,13 and 14 were ignored for All Stars.
This got me curious, so I checked top three finishers for each of these seasons, per Wikipedia

Season 6: Kristi Yamaguchi, Jason Taylor (itís football season: heís retired from play, but doing analysis for ESPN), Christian De la Fuente

Season 7: Brooke Burke (now hosting), Warren Sapp (football season), Lance Bass

Season 9: Donny Osmond, Mya, Kelly Osbourne

Season 13: JR Martinez, Rob Kardashian, Ricki Lake (new talk show)

Season 14: Donald Driver, Katherine Jenkins, William Levy

They probably would have liked to get Kristi and Donny back; both of them probably feel like theyíve proven their point. Jason and Warren both have other things to do, it being football season. Ricki also has a job. Brooke would be a fool to give up her cushy announcing job to compete again. Christian, Mya, Lance -- none have major fan bases who would tune in to support again. Kelly, Rob ó the producers only need one reality TV offspring, and the producers gave that spot to Bristol. People from season 14 probably didnít want to turn around and do it again immediately ó canít blame them. That leaves JR, who might have made sense ó popular, young, not particularly over-employed ó but thatís the only real WTF I see on that list.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Pre-Season VEGAS odds from Bodog
If they're Bodog odds, I don't think they're "Vegas" odds.

Besides, it's against the law for a Vegas (or anywhere else in Nevada, for that matter) sportsbook to take odds on who is going to win DWTS, although I am a little surprised that nobody has tried and then used the defense of "dancing is a sport." Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody has tried it because they're afraid that, since there is a voting element involved, it would be too easy to rig.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 PM

First rehearsal footage has been posted. Here's the first link with Shawn and Derek. You'll find all the couples on this page.

http://on.aol.com/video/dwts-first-r...elated_thumb_5

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-20-2012 at 05:20 PM..
Old 09-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Just a warning - they changed the title, so my TiVo didn't recognize the show and wouldn't have recorded it. You might want to check yours if you had planned on watching it later.

(Seriously networks, DVR Season Passes work in your favor if the show stays with the same title. They work against you if you get creative and think it's a cool idea to change the title of a show to reflect a new season or a new gimmick).
Old 09-24-2012, 10:14 AM

TiVo? Real fans are planning to watch it "LIVE!"

Congrats to Tom Bergeron for his Emmy as best reality-show host -- well deserved, IMHO.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Hey! New scoring system for the judges: they can give half points. Probably a good idea when they're starting the season with people who already know how to dance.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Glad to see that Emmitt hasn't lost any footwork. I was worried because he's been away from any athletics so long.

Drew and Sabrina, rounds out my favorite three. I like seeing the early seasons do so well. Too many people wrote them off because the show is harder now.

Hope Pamela goes this week. She's missed a lot of practice doing promos for Playboy in Europe. It showed too.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-24-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 09:41 PM

Pamela was dreadful, and she looked seriously stoned in the line-up in the finale.

Her first, then Bristol, please. Then Kirstie.

At least none of them were winners -- Helio, who was a champ, was also pretty bad.

Loved Emmitt, loved Gilles, and the middle of the pack is really solid -- this could be an excellent season.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:18 PM

It seemed like Drew and Anna may not get along. Just in that short rehearsal package I saw Drew draw in a deep breath a couple times. Like he was counting to ten and avoiding a confrontation.

If its that bad week 1 then what happens week 4? Anna seemed much ruder than usual.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-24-2012 at 10:18 PM..
Old 09-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
It seemed like Drew and Anna may not get along. Just in that short rehearsal package I saw Drew draw in a deep breath a couple times. Like he was counting to ten and avoiding a confrontation.

If its that bad week 1 then what happens week 4? Anna seemed much ruder than usual.
Well, they've been practicing for 3 or 4 weeks, haven't they? That's enough time to really start getting on each other's nerves. Lachey did come off a bit obnoxious.

Don't have a clear favorite at the moment, although I was really happy to see Fatone and Rycroft back. I thought Emmitt was overscored by about a point, but footballers always seem to get a break from the judges. I simply could not see anything that could have earned him high score for the night.

I do like the adoption of half-points in the scoring; not really a factor tonight but I think it will become more important as the field thins out.

As far as first eliminations go, I'm pretty much with with Twickster; Pamela was the only one that was truly awful. I do agree with the judges that Bristol Palin has improved mightily. Too bad she's still Bristol Palin. Also, if she gets axed, Mark Ballas goes with her. Two for one!
Old 09-25-2012, 12:22 AM

Pam was pretty bad, and I had high hopes for her, as she was decent Season 10 and had lots of potential.

Bristol Palin isn't very good at all. She was pretty clumsy out there and still just so Bristol, more lazy than sharp. She's telegraphing her movement, and its very unnatural.

Shawn was very precise but the girl has no personality.

Emmitt was fantastic, and that wasn't expected since it's been 6 years. Love Emmitt and his personality. He's just so cool.

I thought Kelly Monaco had improved a lot over her season, and Val had a lot to do with it.

Gilles was strong as expected

Kirstie Alley just stunk and Maks' crappy choreo did her no favors. Herky Jerky isn't American Smooth Foxtrot

I thought the choreo for Apolo was hectic but a good effort from them.

I thought Helio needed more practice, but the choreo was no where near as charming as the Bewitched dance his first season.

I thought Joey and Kym came out strong and Joey just needs to keep building, as did Sabrina... it's no secret that both of them had a lot of polish and both being in the Vegas show has upped the performance level.

Melissa was very good, but some of her connecting sequences where she did actual ballroom was a little shaky.

Drew had a case of the nerves tonight it seemed. He was perhaps the stiffest of the Foxtrots I've seen on line.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 09-25-2012 at 12:25 AM..
Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 AM
Charter Member

I didn't get Shawn's Fox Trot, but overall, I liked the dance
Sabrina still overdances, but it kind of works for the chacha
Helio is cannon fodder in this group, but he's more or less pleasant
I had much higher hopes for Pamela - she didn't do great in her season, but didn't do anywhere near that badly.
Bristol looked better than in her season, but still not great. And Mark still hogs the camera and overdances her.
Drew was very, very stiff
And I was surprised by Emmitt, he seemed much better than in his season.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:34 PM

If you're not watching the full results show, turn it on -- they're playing some really excellent rehearsal clips, etc.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:27 PM

Well I found the results show of two hours of filler really really boring. I'm a die hard fan and I left half way through the re-hashing of dancing. The only things that were good for me were the Jason Gilkinson choreographed Pro Dance and subsequent Troop Dance.

Too bad Pam left so early, but it was far too ambitious to cast her when she had trouble sustaining a fan base in her season.

This really should only be a show of winners and finalists, they're less intimidated.
A little shocking to see Drew Lachey in the bottom, he obviously needs fans because I am not convinced the partnership with Anna is a good one. But maybe it's a little humble pie, since in his season he said he could have won with or without Cheryl Burke.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 09-25-2012 at 09:28 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 AM

I'm pretty sure Pam and Bristol were cast as week 1 and 2 canon fodder.

Shoving a former season champion out the door week 1 would be embarrassing for the celebrity and the pro. Imagine Drew going home week 1. Cheryl would never let Anna live it down. "What did you do to my guy? He won with me teaching him."

They said Gilles pulled a hamstring Monday night. I'm not sure he can dance through that pain. We'll see, but I'm wondering if he has to withdraw.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-26-2012 at 12:29 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
They said Gilles pulled a hamstring Monday night. I'm not sure he can dance through that pain. We'll see, but I'm wondering if he has to withdraw.
He said last night he expected it to be better within a couple of days. Of course, "a couple of days" when competition starts at this level is a long time.

Poor Drew -- how embarrassing to be in the bottom two. I actually kind of like him, though I thought his dance Monday was nothing to write home about -- I'll definitely vote for him next week (if he dances well, of course) since he apparently doesn't have the same fan base as some of the others.

ETA: Poor Tristan, he got screwed. I hope they give him a good partner next season -- when, BTW, he'll automatically move up a couple of slots in seniority, since both Derek and Maks have announced this is their last season.

Last edited by twickster; 09-26-2012 at 08:51 AM..
Old 09-26-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

Besides, it's against the law for a Vegas (or anywhere else in Nevada, for that matter) sportsbook to take odds on who is going to win DWTS, although I am a little surprised that nobody has tried and then used the defense of "dancing is a sport." Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if nobody has tried it because they're afraid that, since there is a voting element involved, it would be too easy to rig.
Eh, I went to bodog.com last season and they shut it down, but bodog.ca is up and running. It's all about betting odds I think Vegas gets their information from bodog as it seems to be the earliest out week over week..
Old 09-26-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
This got me curious, so I checked top three finishers for each of these seasons, per Wikipedia

Season 6: Kristi Yamaguchi, Jason Taylor (it’s football season: he’s retired from play, but doing analysis for ESPN), Christian De la Fuente

Season 7: Brooke Burke (now hosting), Warren Sapp (football season), Lance Bass

Season 9: Donny Osmond, Mya, Kelly Osbourne

Season 13: JR Martinez, Rob Kardashian, Ricki Lake (new talk show)

Season 14: Donald Driver, Katherine Jenkins, William Levy

They probably would have liked to get Kristi and Donny back; both of them probably feel like they’ve proven their point. Jason and Warren both have other things to do, it being football season. Ricki also has a job. Brooke would be a fool to give up her cushy announcing job to compete again. Christian, Mya, Lance -- none have major fan bases who would tune in to support again. Kelly, Rob — the producers only need one reality TV offspring, and the producers gave that spot to Bristol. People from season 14 probably didn’t want to turn around and do it again immediately — can’t blame them. That leaves JR, who might have made sense — popular, young, not particularly over-employed — but that’s the only real WTF I see on that list.
Kirstie is not on because she wasn't asked. Thats a complete snub.
http://www.creators.com/lifestylefea...t-no-dwts.html

William Levy is doing a couple of movies, filming a Tyler Perry movie now, and then doing another one in December with Chris Cooper and Alfred Molina... so not available and said he wouldn't do it anyway. he said he was exhausted doing it. He would however come back for a one off night.

JR would have jumped at it for sure, and it wouldn't have taken a lot to persuade Lance Bass to come back. This is full on publicity for 3 months, you can't buy this stuff.

But thank god there was no Osmond to ruin the show.

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 09-26-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Old 09-26-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Kirstie is not on because she wasn't asked. Thats a complete snub.
http://www.creators.com/lifestylefea...t-no-dwts.html
Kristi. Kirstie is on.

Pamela Anderson is apparently not only a bad dancer, but a bad sport -- she disappeared from the backstage meet and greet after the show and was a no-show on GMA this morning, but they did manage to tweak her meds long enough for her to appear on Jimmy Kimmel's show.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Kristi. Kirstie is on.

Pamela Anderson is apparently not only a bad dancer, but a bad sport -- she disappeared from the backstage meet and greet after the show and was a no-show on GMA this morning, but they did manage to tweak her meds long enough for her to appear on Jimmy Kimmel's show.

Kristi yeah, I saw the typo more than five minutes after posting. So C'est la vie. KRISTI was definitely snubbed.

Pam is obviously disappointed in herself, especially because she apparently took on too much and couldn't practice, but I'd never say that's a poor sport, it's humiliating to be the first one gone at any time. She's not the first to no show on the after shows and she won't be the last.
Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post

VEGAS odds - they got Emmitt and Apolo battling it out for the finals.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...lles-marini-a/

Last edited by Andiethewestie; 09-26-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 12:28 PM

More Odds from Bodog.ca - Week 2
Emmitt Smith 3/2
Apolo Anton Ono 7/2
Giles Marini 11/2
Helio Castroneves 11/2
Shawn Johnson 8/1
Joey Fatone 15/1
Kelly Monaco 20/1
Kirstie Alley 20/1
Sabrina Bryan 25/1
Drew Lachey 30/1
Bristol Palin 50/1
Melissa Rycroft 50/1
Old 09-27-2012, 02:07 PM

Kelly is in a tough spot with her schedule. She's shooting GH three days this week and mentioned a 120 pages of dialogue. Apparently she's in a major storyline.

That doesn't leave much time to rehearse the quickstep. She may still surprise us next week. I'd like for her to do well.

I expect Drew and Anna to improve a lot next week. He's mentioned the jive is his favorite dance. I think he did it on the dwts tour.

Looking forward to Melissa and Tony's jive. She couldn't perform it in her season. That injured rib had punctured a lung.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-27-2012 at 02:11 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 04:34 PM

Chelsie's classic Blonde moment.
South America speaks Spanish?

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-27-2012 at 04:36 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
More Odds from Bodog.ca - Week 2
Emmitt Smith 3/2
Apolo Anton Ono 7/2
Giles Marini 11/2
Helio Castroneves 11/2
Shawn Johnson 8/1
Joey Fatone 15/1
Kelly Monaco 20/1
Kirstie Alley 20/1
Sabrina Bryan 25/1
Drew Lachey 30/1
Bristol Palin 50/1
Melissa Rycroft 50/1
How does Helio end up with the same odds as Gilles? I know he won, but am I massively underestimating Helio or Chelsie's fan bases?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:59 PM

I think that first and foremost Bodog is a Sports betting site and the odds makers are going to with the Sports fan bases. They are recognizing the dance ability of Gilles and the Fandom of Helio. In Helio's season he overcame an Osmond and a Spice Girl with his fanbase because he had some great moments but he also had some miss steps.

Gilles in his season had a small fanbase that grew because of his dancing. He's the darling of dance fans, but he isn't invincible. Someone like Emmitt comes out with a big personality and good dancing and that will be the dance people will vote for.