The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-04-2012, 01:42 PM

He's Rich enough to book Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for your wedding. Who would u hire?

Guy got scammed the first attempt. He still was wealthy enough to book the band for his wedding.

I've heard of this before. People hiring tennis or golf pros to spend the weekend playing sports. I'd hire some of the pro billiard players if I was rich. Love playing 9 ball and I rarely find anyone good enough to challenge me.

Music??? I'd drop a quarter million in a heartbeat to get Joan Jett playing at my party. Emmylou Harris? Half a million and I get a kiss. Just one! If, I was rich, I'd go for it.

Who would you hire?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ing-agent.html
Quote:
An Amazon exec who proposed to his girlfriend at a Tom Petty concert was allegedly fleeced out of $165,000 by a fake booking agent claiming he could book the singer for the couple's wedding.

Brian Valentine, 52, wanted Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers to play at his wedding in July as a 'gift' to his new wife, fellow Amazon vice president Gianna Puerini, according to a criminal complaint.
<snip>
Despite his massive loss, there was a happy ending: Valentine could still afford to pay for the band to perform at the wedding in Seattle, Washington - this time, going through legitimate avenues.

Last edited by aceplace57; 08-04-2012 at 01:44 PM..
Advertisements  
Old 08-04-2012, 03:20 PM

I'm sorry, I'm just laughing thinking of having U2 (or really anyone) play for my previous wedding party.

Me, my wife, my sister, her daughter, and her friend who officiated.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:38 PM

The Stones, of course.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Yes, but only with Jon Anderson on vocals.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:16 PM

My company's annual meeting featured Chicago as the night's entertainment.

My boss had Paul McCartney come sing for his wife's birthday.

Me, I'd have Chuck Mangione come live with me. We could stack a bunch of boxes and stuff in the basement for him to hide in, and I would have him play stuff for me all day long.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 PM

Well, he didn't hire them because they were invited guests and he was practically a member of the band himself, but Jason Bonham's father's former bandmates Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, and John Paul Jones, jammed at his wedding.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:38 PM

I would hire Bruce Hornsby to play a Steinway grand.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:41 PM

David Bowie. He could sing whatever he wants so long as one song is "Oh, You Pretty Things!" and another is "Young Americans".
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM

He's gotta sing Let's Dance -- it's a wedding. Dancing is mandatory.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo Jim View Post
He's gotta sing Let's Dance -- it's a wedding. Dancing is mandatory.
And perhaps "Modern Love" just to see if anyone's paying attention to the lyrics.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I'd like to book Rockpile for my next social engagment, and I want them to open with Seven Nights To Rock.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Go Browns!

There you go. When Rockpile's done at your gig, they can come do mine, and they have to play "Heart."
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 AM

I know several people who book bands, and honestly, a lot of people who aren't playing arenas are surprisingly cheap. I know one person who hired Todd Rundgren to play his back yard for $5000.

How did this guy get ripped off? Didn't he know how to find a copy of Pollstar magazine? They have it at Barnes and Noble.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
There you go. When Rockpile's done at your gig, they can come do mine, and they have to play "Heart."
One of the people I know has Nick Lowe playing his venue September 27th.

It's not Rockpile, but he might play Heart if we ask.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post

My boss had Paul McCartney come sing for his wife's birthday.
Jeez, who's your boss? That would've been a few hundred thou back in the day and $1 million or more now. I have a friend who books those gigs - folks like Jimmy Buffet and Tom Petty are huge draws, but a Beatle or the Stones is rarefied air. I hung out with Ed Robertson of Bare Naked Ladies at a private event some years ago. Great money and he totally understood it and gave a great show.

The guy in the OP sounds like a rich idiot - but if you can afford it...

For a decently-sized party where Im looking to get people having fun? No question the Brian Setzer Orchestra - boppin' dance tunes, a Stray Cats interlude - and I'd negotiate a private guitar lesson from the Master to be included.

Last edited by WordMan; 08-05-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbyrne View Post
And perhaps "Modern Love" just to see if anyone's paying attention to the lyrics.

LOL! I have always said if I was foolish enough to actually get MARRIED again I would walk down the aisle to "Modern Love" (I Love my domestic partner, but "I'm not Marrying That.") The Groom's theme would be "Under Pressure" ha! Of course the biggest drawback to hiring Bowie to play at my wedding would be I would forget my groom and spend the evening drooling over the hired help!

Much safer (and cheaper) to hire Canada's Favourite Party Band: Trooper to play. Everyone knows all the songs, they have fast songs, slow songs, and they play every single town/city/festival in Canada every year. Their website makes me giggle, they are Canada's Oldest and Coolest band. (Most Modest too, one can presume.)

Van Morrison would be awesome if I was doing a really sweet traditional white dress all the romantic trimmings wedding.

But for my money, Trooper on a beach, with BBQ and kegs, and lots of happy people dancing to "Here for a good time (not a long time)" would be almost worth getting married for.

Last edited by Mona Lisa Simpson; 08-05-2012 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: I fixed the link. I can fix your cat next.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 AM

Come on, someone has to pick Billy Idol. Which song would he sing?

It's an interesting question. I'd be unwilling to hire any musician I particularly liked, because it would just feel wrong to have your musical hero as a paid lackey. And I'd be thinking of those times when Colonel Gadaffi hired Beyonce and Lionel Richie etc. And I'd also be thinking of this comedy sketch where a hyperventilating Chris Farley interviews Paul McCartney.

No, I'd hire The Fall. They'd do it for nothing, the show would be entertaining, Mark Smith would probably make a scene, and I just like the idea of The Fall playing a wedding. And there are few more romantic songs than "Green-Eyed Loco Man" and "Bury 1/2".

Last edited by Ashley Pomeroy; 08-05-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j666 View Post
I would hire Bruce Hornsby to play a Steinway grand.
I saw him do this at a benefit some years back for charity. Excellent call. Guy remains quite underrated.

Frankly for as much as it'd cost I wouldn't do it, esp when I think of all the good I could do with that money vs pissing it away on something so incredibly selfish. Not saying I'm so great or anything, and if I was rich you better believe I'd indulge myself with a really nice house etc. But hundreds of thousands just to have a private performance by a musician? I don't think so. The most I would do is pay a fair chunk of money for a ringside seat at a charity event they're doing, maybe pay a little extra under the table if I could get to meet them briefly. Question of degree I guess.

That all said, if I could get them to perform on the cheap or for big money which would go to charity (etc).......Hornsby is a good call. McCartney has to be up there, even though he's well past his prime. Tempted to say Steely Dan but I get the impression they have all the social skills of a cactus, and I'm assuming this would include a chance to "chat" w the performers. Pat Metheny also comes to mind.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Pomeroy View Post
those times when Colonel Gadaffi hired Beyonce and Lionel Richie etc.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreally View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...72243Q20110303
Old 08-05-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
To be fair, they were hired by others who the performers didn't know had those links to the dictator (I'd rather assume they were just stupid vs willingly doing so, which isn't exactly a stretch). Hardly the same as "hired by Qaddafi." Not that they're worth listening to anyway, but...
Old 08-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Since it was mentioned in the OP, I'd go with Tom Petty. I've seen him something like 9 or 10 times and would jump at the chance to seem him again. He just hasn't been in the area in the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
I know several people who book bands, and honestly, a lot of people who aren't playing arenas are surprisingly cheap. I know one person who hired Todd Rundgren to play his back yard for $5000.
A FOAF does all the entertainment for one of the big arenas in Milwaukee and commented that a few years back they had REO Speedwagon come and play after a hockey game. He was surprised that they did it for $3000 and tickets to the game (and they only live an 90 minutes away). He said for that price he'd consider booking them for a birthday party.
I'd imagine they'd charge more to play for 50 people in a backyard, but still, it's not like it was $30,000.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Elephant Whisperer

Pink Floyd
Old 08-05-2012, 12:36 PM

Well, once Gay Marriage is legal here, and I had the bucks, I would surprise SO and have Ms. Streisand sing a few songs.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I'd like to book Rockpile for my next social engagment, and I want them to open with Seven Nights To Rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigmagirl View Post
Also mandatory: "I Knew the Bride (When She Used To Rock and Roll)".

For my birthday The SDMB folks can pitch in and hire Elvis Costello to perform. Seeing him do "What's So Funny (about Peace, Love & Understanding)" up close and personal would be awesome.

mmm
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM

Tom Waits.
seriously how the hell else are you supposed to see that guy live?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
To be fair, they were hired by others who the performers didn't know had those links to the dictator (I'd rather assume they were just stupid vs willingly doing so, which isn't exactly a stretch). Hardly the same as "hired by Qaddafi."
From what I know, they were hired by the family. See here. It's kind of hard for me to believe they didn't know they were performing for Qaddafi's sons.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:55 PM

The remaining members of The Dead? But seriously, any famous band or singer would detract from the party. A good local band or a DJ.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I saw him do this at a benefit some years back for charity. Excellent call. Guy remains quite underrated.

Frankly for as much as it'd cost I wouldn't do it, esp when I think of all the good I could do with that money vs pissing it away on something so incredibly selfish.
I've heard that Bruce is a really nice guy - didn't he let a kid play on stage with him for Make A Wish?

Is paying a good artist a lot of money really so selfish?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:39 PM

How could I forget? Jimmy Buffett. A smaller venue is THE way to see him IMO, not some blacktopped, steel n concrete amphitheater. Actually I always envisioned seeing him at some beachside tiki bar or some such.

Moot though as he'd be too expensive.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Guy got scammed the first attempt. He still was wealthy enough to book the band for his wedding.

I've heard of this before. People hiring tennis or golf pros to spend the weekend playing sports. I'd hire some of the pro billiard players if I was rich. Love playing 9 ball and I rarely find anyone good enough to challenge me.

Music??? I'd drop a quarter million in a heartbeat to get Joan Jett playing at my party. Emmylou Harris? Half a million and I get a kiss. Just one! If, I was rich, I'd go for it.

Who would you hire?
It's a no-brainer for me and Kelliebeans: Bowling For Soup double-billed with The Dollyrots. That was the last show she and I went to together, and they usually tour on the same bill anyway.

Besides, we backed The Dollyrots' Kickstarter project. If I don't get those cookies and a lock of Kelly Ogden's hair like I was promised, they owe me...
Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Southern Culture on the Skids
Old 08-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Well my favorite singer is free, but he refused to play for my wedding, something about him being busy being the groom.

For a band people have heard of, I'd probably go with Bare Naked Ladies with the stipulation that my husband gets to play with them for a set. My husband would prefer Styx or Boston, and he would also request that he gets to join them on stage.

Of course, they would be playing ananniversary party because the wedding was over and done with nearly 20 years ago. Anniversary parties are more fun for that sort of thing anyway. The boring wedding business wouldn't get in the way of the party.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMark View Post
Well, once Gay Marriage is legal here, and I had the bucks, I would surprise SO and have Ms. Streisand sing a few songs.
Now there's an idea!

My neighbor (who made millions doing some revolutionary engineering with microchips or some such; it's way beyond my understanding), should hire Ted Nugent to come and play before the wedding -- then watch for Ted's expression when fiance' "Ronnie" turns out to be another man...

---G!!!

'scuse me
While I kiss this guy!
. --Jimmy Hendrix (Live)
. Purple Haze
. [Despite the attribution, Mr. Hendrix is no longer available for bookings.]
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Rush.

Divorce to follow.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical1 View Post
Tom Waits.
seriously how the hell else are you supposed to see that guy live?
This. I would *love* to crawl into the corner of some smokey bar and listen to him yack and sing and play and yack and drink and sing and play, but when the hell is that ever gonna happen?

And of course, I'd ask for "Better Off Without A Wife".

Last edited by Taomist; 08-06-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loach View Post
Rush.

Divorce to follow.

I'd say Rush, but then I'd NEVER get rid of MrTao! And a girl's gotta keep her options open.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:47 PM
The Central Scrutinizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taomist View Post
I'd say Rush, but then I'd NEVER get rid of MrTao! And a girl's gotta keep her options open.
My girlfriend is going to her first Rush concert with me in October. We'll see how things work out. I wonder if I should tell her this is a test?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Lol, no no, don't do that. I *finally* saw Rush live a couple of months ago with MrTao, and we ended up leaving halfway through. The people around us...and we were in the cheap seats, wayyy up there, pretty steep floor...were standing and dancing, which is great, except MrTao had had foot surgery and could not stand for any length of time. We asked politely, even to just change seats on the aisle so there was a CHANCE of maybe seeing what was going on, and got told to fuck off and stop being old. We're in our mid-40's. Not old, but certainly old enough to understand that the FLOOR seats are for dancing, damnit. Which is why we didn't go there. We just got the DVD on the way out, went home, watched the show that way. :P

Anyway, she may or may not end up enjoying the experience itself, <which I did, what we could of it, anyway> but she may really like the band regardless.

Last edited by Taomist; 08-06-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Here Come the Mummies.....one of the best live bands I've seen and their R&B/Funk is very danceable.....and I think their price would be quite affordable. Will be seeing them in Vegas on Oct. 6.