The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-10-2012, 08:58 PM

The Voice, Season 3

Anyone watching? I didn't see a thread, although I'm on Tapatalk so it's hard to search. If there's a thread already, I'm sorry.

I'm pretty pleased with the talent so far this year. Bryan Keith was a standout, as was the emo backup singer. I really disliked the chubby guy with the vapors who did Gotye--wish they'd skipped him and gone with the reggae girl instead.
Advertisements  
Old 09-10-2012, 11:10 PM

That one girl who sang Christina's song was pretty. I did not expect her to look like that after seeing her parents.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:58 PM

Some really good competitors this year. Couple went home that I didn't see anything wrong with. Bryan Keith was a stand out. Daniel (repeat guy) did better this year, I kinda liked what he did. He did a really different rendition of the song to make it original.

I'm not a fan of country, and don't care for the song, but the country blonde who sang "Son of a Preacher Man" did well, I can't see why they didn't pick her.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:39 AM

I don't normally watch these shows, but my first cousin's son will be on it. I watched yesterday's show, but he wasn't on. Perhaps he will be on next week.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Watched last night's episode. I was going to say that so far none who made it seem to actively suck (unlike last year), but then they had a couple "also rans" that the excerts were not convincing, so we will see.

Not that I care for all the music by chosen singers, but at least I can tell they have ability.

That Doma sure is a character.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man View Post
I don't normally watch these shows, but my first cousin's son will be on it. I watched yesterday's show, but he wasn't on. Perhaps he will be on next week.
There were three episodes this week and will be two next week.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:08 PM

Rumor has it the show will be renamed from The Voice to Christina's Boobs.

I don't know how she avoids nip slips. She's always on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction.

Especially the 2nd night
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-brunette.html
Old 09-13-2012, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I don't know how she avoids nip slips. She's always on the verge of a wardrobe malfunction.
Duct tape and staples.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:47 PM

I could not have hated Doma more. Nelly's Echo seems to be the whole package-- voice, story, and an appealing back story.

The interaction between the judges is amusing, especially Blake and Adam.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:43 PM

Apparently Direct TV was out in our area. My DVR recorded 55 minutes of the technical difficulties screen.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by not what you'd expect View Post
Apparently Direct TV was out in our area. My DVR recorded 55 minutes of the technical difficulties screen.
NBC is rerunning this week's episodes on Saturday 9/15/12.

They are also available for free viewing online at the NBC web site.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Thank you, Alley Dweller. Maybe I can get caught up.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:02 AM

The interactions between the judges are what makes this show better than the rest. I bust a gut laughing at something at least twice an episode.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynda View Post
I could not have hated Doma more. Nelly's Echo seems to be the whole package-- voice, story, and an appealing back story.

The interaction between the judges is amusing, especially Blake and Adam.
Nelly's Echo chose a perfect song for his voice, which I like, had great stage presence, AND he lives in my city. I have someone to root for.

Regarding Doma, I wouldn't go so far as "hate" but yeah, uggh. Then, I tell myself I'm not really the demographic for this show. So why watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
The interactions between the judges are what makes this show better than the rest. I bust a gut laughing at something at least twice an episode.
That's why. I don't know if I'll watch the whole season. I'll hang on as long as it's entertaining - perhaps as long as Nelly's Echo stays in.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace57 View Post
Rumor has it the show will be renamed from The Voice to Christina's Boobs.
I think they've been growing as she feeds them sparkly necklaces. Seriously, "Xtina", cover up your titties. It's getting a little ridiculous.

As with most other TV talent shows, I'm getting tired of hearing everyone's pathetic back story. Can you sing? Good. I don't really care if you're a single mom, or if your recently-deceased father inspired your dreams, or if you've been living in a car with AIDS for the last six years. Just sing.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
I think they've been growing as she feeds them sparkly necklaces. Seriously, "Xtina", cover up your titties. It's getting a little ridiculous.
I was worried that my own reaction to that was disproportionate and that it was a sign of my own advancing crankdom. But it's not just me, is it? That's not just cleavage. I worry for her every time she has to hop up and hug someone. Obviously it's hot under the lights, or she wouldn't be fanning herself, but there are other ways to address that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigen View Post
As with most other TV talent shows, I'm getting tired of hearing everyone's pathetic back story. Can you sing? Good. I don't really care if you're a single mom, or if your recently-deceased father inspired your dreams, or if you've been living in a car with AIDS for the last six years. Just sing.
I do find myself wondering, at the audition stage, how much pathetic back story footage they collect. Kind of a chicken/egg question. Do producers have minions circulating through the crowds of auditioners hoping to overhear a sob story? Do they film ALL of them strolling down a street looking contemplative and use that to decide who'll sing for the judges? Or do they decide who's going to perform and then film them?

The other thing I've enjoyed so far about the Voice is that there seems to be an effective selection process and no one is put through and put on TV simply to be humiliated. The people who haven't been selected are capable singers.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:17 PM

I rewatched the first three hours on Saturday, fastforwarding through all the sob-stories and just listening to the performances and coach exchanges.

I'm not thrilled with De'Borah (i.e. Urkel). I think she benefitted from being an early audition this season.

I feel sorry for the Jamaican chick who didn't get picked, because she sang "No Woman, No Cry" to music. That seemed like a fumble to me on the judges' part.

I caught a rerun of Adam Levine on the Tonight Show from this summer, and he described the "stealing" part a bit better. Apparently the show makers found a lot of the interest derives from the button and the selection, so in order to keep that around longer, they're rolling that into the battle rounds. After the battles, when a coach lets one go, the other coaches can steal the competitor that was eliminated.

He didn't explain, so I'm very curious, how that's going to work. With teams of 16 each, do they have to give up one of their other competitors to steal an eliminated one? Because otherwise there's no penalty to picking any eliminated competitor. That could draw this season out forever. So, can you see them trading out someone who picked them to rescue someone who didn't pick them? Hmmm.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 PM

So Cupid is kind of an idiot. "I don't think my song shows off my vocal chops, so I'm going to sing it for the biggest audition of my life."
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drain Bead View Post
So Cupid is kind of an idiot. "I don't think my song shows off my vocal chops, so I'm going to sing it for the biggest audition of my life."
Seriously. He really got in his own way on that one.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:17 AM

So this show has sucked me in again, dammit, even if I haven't forgiven it for the fistful of Ambien that won last year. So far I really like Nelly's Echo (even though I'll flinch every time I say it, but on the other hand he's the only one whose name I remember), and the "Hallelujah" woman's voice is amazing, enough so to overcome my extreme Hallelujah fatigue. I was prepared to want to throatpunch the Bieber-haired kid, but I actually found him kind of adorable, and the kid who closed out last night's show was damned impressive for an untrained sixteen year old. Seems like a lot of kids this time, doesn't it?

Speaking of age, if that woman from Beat Frequency is 28, I'll eat my shoes. Did Christina's hand twitch or something? It was amusing watching the other judges try to think of something nice to say about them. CeeLo has really outdone himself with Domo. She's going to make us all long for the charm and humility of last season's Erin.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Speaking of age, if that woman from Beat Frequency is 28, I'll eat my shoes. Did Christina's hand twitch or something? It was amusing watching the other judges try to think of something nice to say about them. CeeLo has really outdone himself with Domo. She's going to make us all long for the charm and humility of last season's Erin.
She looked at least in her 30s. Either she's lying, or the guy is creepy. Because if I remember correctly, he said they've been together for 12 years. That would put her at 16 and him at 22-23 when they started dating. Ew.

Speaking of ages, you could just see Adam and Cee-lo reigning it in once they found out that girl from Brooklyn was only 17.

eta: speaking of her, I didn't really care for her voice. Also, she looked like Rachel from Glee.

Last edited by RandMcnally; 09-18-2012 at 10:24 AM..
Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandMcnally View Post
<snip>

Speaking of ages, you could just see Adam and Cee-lo reigning it in once they found out that girl from Brooklyn was only 17.
Hah! Yeah, totally.
Quote:
eta: speaking of her, I didn't really care for her voice. Also, she looked like Rachel from Glee.
The other girl who didn't get chosen, Agina Whatever, sounded much better to me.

That weirdo with the pubic hair on his face, I really liked what he did with "Stand By Me." He was too nasal, but barring that, I liked the way he arranged it.

And hey, did you know Christina has boobs? How insecure must she be that she thinks she has to parade those things around all the time?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:37 PM

Tonight was kinda meh, for me. No one I'm really rooting for.

The last guy wasn't bad at all. Mostly, I hope I look as good as he does when I'm 40 (I really thought he was mid-20s at first).
Old 09-19-2012, 02:12 PM

So I watched the last episode through by fastforwarding through all the intro stories and getting to the performances and then judging. I figure I'll hear plenty of repeats on all that info later during the rest of the competition, and this way it's closer to the judges' situation. I don't have any sob story to influence my perception. We'll see how it works out, but it did run shorter and still get the good parts.

Once again they had a few also rans that the snippets didn't sound great. It was looking like Cee Lo was going to be the last one trying to fill spots, but now that may go to Blake. He has the best angle on the country wanna-bes - surprised one of them went to Christina. Sounds like Blake wasn't interested.

I can see how Soul-man wanted Cee Lo, but if it were me, I'd have to pick Adam as the best fit, assuming I (a) got an audition on the show with my karaoke, and (b) he turned around.

Stand By Me guy had an original variation of the song, so I have to give him that. I wasn't enamored with his voice, but he did have creativity.

You know, given the talent we've seen this year, if some of these folks had been around the first season, there's no way Beverly would have done that well. Javier Colon would have had a tough fight. Jermaine Paul doesn't count, Juleitte Simms should have won last season. Both Sera Hill and Jesse Campbell were better vocalists who got axed by Christina in favor of novelty acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG View Post
Speaking of age, if that woman from Beat Frequency is 28, I'll eat my shoes.
That's a hard 28.

Quote:
CeeLo has really outdone himself with Domo. She's going to make us all long for the charm and humility of last season's Erin.
You mean big hair? Hey, on just the audition, I might have picked her. She didn't really turn me off till she did the crowd interaction stuff. Though I did have a inkling with her dancing down the hallway...
Old 09-19-2012, 03:09 PM

If I were on this show and I had any pick of judges, I'd avoid Cee-Lo like the plague.

1: He screwed over Sandwich Shop guy last season. There was no way SSG would have been able to sing that song well in the battle. None. He was dead before he started.

2: Freebird? He had Simms sing Freebird? Does anyone other than drunk rednecks like that song?

eta: Blake is easily my favorite judge. He cracks me up.

Last edited by RandMcnally; 09-19-2012 at 03:12 PM..
Old 09-19-2012, 05:04 PM

All of the judges made some awful song choices last year, but Blake's taste is music is horrifyingly pedestrian. I enjoy watching him, but I wouldn't want him as a coach.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:34 AM

I love hearing the auditions but man does the production on this show irritate me. Okay, yeah, background stories, sure. Investment of interest in the performer. What has chapped me more and more strongly is the full performance coupled with no coaches turning around. This is just underlined for me by a few brief clips later in the show of singers who were chosen, but we're not treated to their performance. I feel bad for the rejected ones, and cheated by the lack of auditions I can see for some who made it. Not viewing experiences that make me want to keep watching.

I think I read (earlier in this thread?) that the teasing of will-they-push-the-button-or-won't-they is popular, but it's another thing that I find to be annoying at best.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:40 PM

Yeah, I could do with less backstory, less looking at the family during the audition (come on, just show us the performance, not the tension-filled "Somebody push the button" dance in back), and I definitely despise the "also rans", especially for ones who are chosen. I realize it is more dramatic if you show a few who try and don't make it, but I hate when you also-ran people who actually do make it. We don't know anything about them going into the battle rounds. And I don't mean backstory, I mean nothing to judge their performance potential.

And I agree on Cee Lo. I don't like his overproduction, I don't like his song choices.

Blake is fun to watch, and he does commit to his teammembers, but first season he picked the lesser-developed Xenia over the two guys for weak reasons. Last season he really surprised me when he didn't pick the blonde country girl he was so enamored with.

Christina is a bit tiresome with her sales pitch and her "I mean" all the time, but she does have amazing vocal talent and the ability to coach that.

I mostly like Adam, but was a bit soured by the Tony Lucca situation last season. Christina did seem to have an unexplained axe to grind, but the song choice for an FU to her was tacky and tasteless.

And what is with Cee Lo and his pets? Last season it was his cat, this season it's a bird. What's next, a ferret? A hamster? A python? (Yeah, I saw the announcement that he and Christina won't be doing next season.)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:09 PM

The thing that bugs me most about the ones who made it whose auditions we didn't see is that they might as well just tattoo "cannon fodder" on their foreheads.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM

I think the Voice is making a mistake by having back to back seasons. Its going to get over exposed quick. I rather see it on once a year. The coaches would be fresher and they could get better amateur talent.

This season there seems to be a lot of high school kids auditioning. Why aren't they in school? They aren't ready for the pressure and attention a show like this brings.

Last edited by aceplace57; 09-20-2012 at 04:15 PM..
Old 09-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
<snip>
This season there seems to be a lot of high school kids auditioning. Why aren't they in school? They aren't ready for the pressure and attention a show like this brings.
If it was up to me, all of the reality talent shows would have a lower age limit of 18. I don't think any kids are ready to deal with what comes along with being on these shows.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
If it was up to me, all of the reality talent shows would have a lower age limit of 18. I don't think any kids are ready to deal with what comes along with being on these shows.
That's how they do it on So You Think You Can Dance. Which makes sense, as that show can be really brutal.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Whisperer View Post
This is my first season watching, and I'm watching X-Factor where there's also an astonishing number of young teens so I was thinking along these very lines last night. That spun into also thinking about elite athletes with careers that peak or end before the age of 20, and then the young girl who was the youngest to attempt a solo sail around the world. What if there parents told them to wait, to pursue these dreams more gradually?

Sometimes I worry that my son doesn't seem to have drive or ambition in any particular direction, but watching these kids I'm starting to be a little relieved. At least in sports the requisite skills are quantifiable.

What happens to the 16 year old that does well in one of these shows but is eliminated halfway through and never has another professional singing opportunity? It's one thing to have your dreams dashed at 32, but something else entirely at half that.

When did a solo in All-county chorus stop being enough for a 9th grader?

Once in a while I've seen cases where judges have said "you're clearly very talented, but it's not the right time. Come back when you're older." I wish there was more of that.

Or really, after all this rambling, what Cat Whisperer said, that kids under 18 wouldn't be included.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:03 PM

Except one of the judges benefitted from having a career before being 18 years old, so it would be a bit hypocritical to enforce that rule on everyone else.

They're down to one last episode for blind auditions, it seems, with everyone needing just 2 more competitors (IIRC). I feel sorry for the old cruise lady, who sang really well and didn't get picked at all, for no real reason. The judges are down to their last slots, so there's less room for average or experimental picks, and now it's down to "I gotta have this". With the level of competition we've seen this season, it's tight.

Right now everyone is a bit of a blur. I'm looking forward to the battle rounds. And I want to see how this new twist plays out.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

And, I suppose that teens with big dreams are a large part of their target audience. I agree that cruise lady deserved a spot already taken by one of half a dozen singers barely distinguishable from each other.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Eh, she'd be part of the blur to me, too. Too many contestants in too short of a time, they will stand out better as we get more exposure.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM

Another contestant who deserved a spot was the French teacher with the guitar who sang "Crazy." I thought he took some interesting risks with the syncopation, and his voice was clear and strong. He was oodles better than a lot of people who were picked earlier. I think the format really discriminates against later auditioners.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:37 AM

I think the judges do know the sob stories beforehand. Ever notice how they always seem to ask the right questions to bring the sob story out after the audition?

CeeLo: Who's your inspiration?
Singer: My uncle, who died 4 years ago.....

As far as mentors go, I would pick Blake in a heartbeat. He really works at being a good mentor.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:18 PM

Meh, Cee Lo asks that question all the time. It's part of his schtick for trying to connect to the artists so they will pick him.

Adam has his "I want you, I need you, you're the best, you're crazy good, I have to have you, I'll just die if you don't pick me."

Blake has his "I'm the only country music professional, you're southern and so am I, we have a connection, we both wear vests."

Christina goes with "I mean, I want to get to know you and find out what you're like and share with you."

And Cee Lo goes with either flirting hard or "Who's your inspiration? Who did you listen to growing up? Who is your favorite artist? Favorite music style? Yeah, I do that."

It's a generic enough question that is bound to draw out anyone who was inspired by a parent/relative who was a performer. Generally asking about the contestant's past or why they tried out will elicit those sob stories even without knowing there is a sob story, much less what it is.

The contestants who drop those in are generally already primed to be thinking about that because they were previously asked all about it by Carson Daly for the interview segment.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 PM

I watched Monday's 2 hr episode last night. They didn't bother to explain the steal thing, but used it, and from what was shown I was able to piece together that each coach as two "steals". After a coach eliminates one of the contestants, and that contestant leaves, Carson reminds the coaches that the remaining person is available for a steal. That is apparently the official start of the steal clock, which apparently lasts until the contestant completes their goodbye and walks off.

I got the two steal limit by looking at the status blocks at the end of the night, where they showed two steal squares for each coach, thus forming one more competition in addition to the eight they start with.

By the way, "steal" is the wrong word for this. Stealing implies taking something from somebody else that they want. But these contestants are the ones that their coaches didn't keep, so these should more accurately be called "Saves" or "Rescues".

Anyway, the competitions...

Blake paired up Scottish Rocker (Terry McDerrmott) and Country Ass-slapper (Casey Muessigman). He gave them Kansas' Carry On Wayward Son. It was a good competition, and they had fun singing it. In the end, I liked Terry's performance better. Blake once again surprised and impressed me, by agreeing with me. Even though his personal preference is the country angle, he thought Terry had a bit better idea of his own voice, and so kept Terry. Yea!

Next, Adam pairs Bryan Keith (hat guy) with Collin McLoughlin (?). He gives them Santeria, by Sublime. Ugh, horrible song - I hate it. I hate the prancy sound, I hate the lyrics, with their subject matter and racist tone. It's horrid. Anyway, I came out of the blind auditions thinking Bryan Keith did really well, and didn't remember Collin. When they got into this song, though, Collin impressed a lot more. They got to the competition, and I felt the same way. Bryan had a few issues with tone on the song, and Collin rushed the tempo on the opening line, but overall, I thought Collin was both more on pitch and better overall, but Adam went with Bryan. Thus we encountered the first Steal. Collin starts to thank Adam, and then Blake intones with "Blah blah blah" as he leisurely smacks his button, but Cee Lo saw it coming and smacked his own. So then they both had to make a case for Collin to pick them.

Blake points out that Cee Lo just said that Bryan did a better job on that song, whereas Blake picked him. Cee Lo mentions that he picked Collin twice (blind auditions and here), and that he thinks he's better than that song. Collin has to side with Blake.

Cee Lo puts Peruvian heartthrob Diego Val against youtube guy JR Aquino, singing Rick Springfield's Jessie's Girl. Good song choice, JR had the avantage given that Deigo is Peruvian and didn't know the song. Diego struggles with the melody and notes, but busts his ass to learn the song. The competition performance is very good, both do well, but Cee Lo keeps Diego.

Christina puts De'borah up against Nelly's Echo singing Message in a Bottle. Nice choice, interesting pairing. I have to say, as an aside, De'borah looked better dressed for the rehearsal day than she did pimped out for the stage performance. What kind of person thinks the height of fashion is Urkel?

Anyway, this song is another great performance. They trade lines back and forth. Nelly plays around with the melody a bit, De'borah starts off kinda soft and then slowly builds power through the whole song, till she's screaming it out at the end and blowing it away. Both sing well, but Christina thinks De'borah played the stage better with the exchanges, and so she stays. I agree with the choice.

Next, Blake is back pairing Gracia Harrison (the yodeler) against 2Steel Girls (the mom-daughter duo), doing Sin Wagon by the Dixie Chicks. Gracia starts out incredibly nervous and isn't getting it right, while the other two work on their harmonizing. For the competition, though, Gracia really finds her confidence and her performance is stronger than the other two. Blake keeps her.

The final battle of the night is Cee Lo's, and he pairs Trevin Hunte vs Amanda Brown. Amanda was the woman who finally got Cee Lo to turn at the end of the song, where Adam said he wished she'd done the thing at the end earlier. Cee Lo gave them Mariah Carey's Vision of Love, and immediately Amanda is blasting it out and nailing it. Trevin has to work hard to keep up, suddenly he's the underdog in the song. Suddenly Cee Lo regrets pairing them, as they are both so amazing he's going to lose an amazing singer one way or another.

Their competition is stellar. They both are awesome. Everybody is standing and clapping, and Adam is standing in his chair. Adam actually declares in his comments that he is ready to steal whichever one Cee Lo doesn't keep. Cee Lo has to ponder, and in the end decides to stay with Trevin. It may have been the confidence thing, or the connection from the blind audition, but whatever reason, he picked. Then the other three coaches immediately hit their buttons. Everybody makes a case, but Adam's passion wins over Amanda, so she picks him.

One night down, some amazing battle rounds.

One more comment, I'm liking this steal thing because it gives a second chance for when I disagree with a coach, and it kept the Awesome Amanda around for another chance.

Last edited by Irishman; 10-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: Last comment
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM

I'm pleased that Amanda got saved, but surprised and a little sad that Nelly's Echo didn't. Yeah, he oversang the crap out of that, but at least he's memorable. They can wax rhapsodic about Colin's perfect pitch until they're blue, that doesn't make him any less dull. Good lord, I hope Blake doesn't give him any song where he feels the need to try to groove, it was painful.

Speaking of pleased, so glad that Cee Lo kept Cody over Domo on Tuesday. Their performance sucked, but watching Rob Thomas's bitchface as Domo compared herself to Celine, Mariah, and Aretha was priceless.

Two things I'm not pleased by are the spoiling of the steals in the previews and that they're not broadcasting all the battle rounds in their entirety. It's not like this show isn't full of filler already, show the freakin' performances!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 AM

The battles that they didn't show sounded TERRIBLE in the snippets, so maybe it's a blessing that we didn't see them.

I thought the one-hour show was lackluster compared to the two-hour one. I agreed with most of the decisions, though. I always thought Nelly's Echo was pretentious and not very good, so I'm glad he wasn't kept around. I never saw what everyone else saw in him. I'm a little sad that Casey is gone--I thought he did a great job with "Carry On My Wayward Son," it's just that his opponent was much more comfortable with that genre.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:58 PM

MOTHERFUCKER! Now they're Also-ranning the Battle Rounds? WTF?

I just watched Tuesday's show. They squeezed in two rounds of also-rans. What a stab in the face. Dammit, so what if those songs aren't great? Isn't that part of the allure, the chance to see the singers not succeed as hoped? The balance between the great tough choices and the "yeah, he should go"es?

They bumped the teams from 12 to 16 and gave us "steals", meaning there are 8 battle rounds for each coach this time. They could easily have kept 12 competitors and two steals, for 6 battle rounds a coach, and not had to skip any battle rounds. (I'm confused - will the steals battle each other?)

Once again, Cee Lo shows us his inability to pick good songs. Cody (southern George Michael) Belew up against Domo (D to the O to the M to the O). He gives them "Telephone", a meh song. Yeah, they danced. Neither really stood out on the signing, but I'm glad Cody was kept. I agree with DianaG on Rob Thomas' response to Domo's attitude.

Christina paired up Aquile with Nathalie Hernandez, singing "You Give Me Something", a song I'd never heard of. Nathalie sang okay, but Aquile was tops on that one.

Adam teamed up Melanie Marinez (two colored hair) against Caitlin Michele and had them singing "Lights", which has strange lyrics that don't make sense to me. (I tried watching the captioning. Still nonsense.) Both do pretty well. Melanie has an odd quality to her voice that I'm not sure works but she did pretty well. Caitlin has a tone that sounds a bit like Amy Lee from Evanescense, but I thought I sensed a pitch issue or two. Very tough call, Adam kept Melanie, and Blake and Cee Lo went for steals on Caitlin. She picks Cee Lo, and then admits backstage she likes his big production style and was hoping to have been picked by him in the first place, so this works out for her. We'll see how she does in the next round.

This recap points out that so far, both of Adam's rejects were "stolen" by other coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaG
Two things I'm not pleased by are the spoiling of the steals in the previews...
Yes, I've decided I actively despise any form of preview on competition shows. I don't want to know "up next", I don't want the wittiest comments dropped ahead of time, or to see who's paired and what they're singing ahead of time. I want the drama to play out on screen, in order. And I definitely don't want hints on the outcome, like seeing the big STEAL light, or who turned around. They actually did that with Cody Belew's performance and the "Did you push your button?" comment. Totally ruined the only element of suspense, since Cee Lo was the only coach left who could have picked him. Yeah, time on show meant he was going to be picked, so let that play out as a surprise for the excitement. But no, they preview it.

(The same thing on Face Off with the sci fi movie make up. I fast forward through any of the preview material there, too.)
Old 10-16-2012, 01:19 AM

The real winners are those people who lost the battle round but got picked up by another coach. None of those people are going to win anyway, but now they have the coaching of two more people in the industry. That's a win over those people who were kept by their own coach but won't likely win either.

I'm liking the steals because it gives one individual coach less power. I didn't like Christina's elimination of Jesse Campbell. Hopefully, something like that can't happen this season.

The editing has taken most of the suspense out of the battle rounds and takes out the most fun part, the guessing whether I agreed with the coach or not. The show feels less spontaneous and a lot more scripted than last season.

I didn't like the personality of the woman (Terisa?) who questioned Blake on why he chose the song and accused him of trying to get rid of her, but I did like that she asked the question. In some of the battle rounds, it seems more evident that the coach is trying to favor one singer over the other in the song choice. Cee Lo almost admitted that he was trying to get rid of Amanda Brown in pairing her with Trevin Hunt because he said that he paired them together because he thought she wasn't as accomplished as she was.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Another excellent set of performances last night. Lots of impressive stuff all around.

Okay, Blake, what the hell was that choice of "Congo"? "Let's see, neither of you do this, so it will be evenly matched." Somehow both Julio Ramirez and Terisa Griffin pulled it off. Neither botched it or missed the rhythm, which is so terribly fast. Given how even the performance was, I can see how Blake was left looking for something extra to go by, so looking at how it seemed Julio had to work harder to get there made the difference for him. I might have leaned to Terisa myself, but it was very tight.

Fortunately for Terisa, Cee Lo used a steal. Let's see if he can give her a better song to work with, or if he hamstrings her with another "Freebird".

Christina runs Dez Duron (the returning hunk) against the also-ran Paulina, from Sugarland ("Sugarlin" as pronounced by whatshisname), Texas. Paulina seemed a little off to me. Hey Paulina, that song already has a melody. Everybody seemed to agree, Dez won the round.

Next, Adam plays weird choices pairing Benji (racecar driver) against alsoran Sam James, and pitting them with Bon Jovi's "You Give Love a Bad Name". While that song has a lot of power, Adam is right that Bon Jovi does have a lot of actual singing and music in that. It seems a bit of a stretch for Sam James, while Benji's big issue is pronouncing things. On performance, I would have given that round to Benji for his impressive screams and his following Adam's advice to use them selectively. But Sam did try really hard, and on the notes he couldn't hit he at least made you feel them, as he was coached.

While on that performance I probably would have taken Benji, and the other three coaches leaned that way, I admire Adam for recognizing that the song challenge was the obstacle that Sam was fighting, and so he picked Sam. At least he recognized the fault was largely his own. So kudos to Adam for making that risky call.

(I also just noticed a "Sam James" in the blind auditions from season 2, not picked. I wonder if it's the same guy.)

This round harkens back to sandwich guy (Jamie Lono?) from last season, and Cee Lo's disasterous choice to pit him in that Foreigner song. Yeah, Jamar went on to last up until finally getting beat out by Juliett Simms, but that pairing and song choice sure seems unbalanced.

Next is Cee Lo's bearded guys, Nicholas David (bluesy singer with the scraggly long beard) against Todd Kesler. He gives them the Hall and Oates song "She's Gone". This battle is epic. Both lay on the creamy smooth lines with the soulful depth. This is one of those performances where the sum of the two is so fabulous you almost want them to team up from now on. Cee Lo ultimately picks "Saint Nick", who really does just have an edge on Todd on the ability he demonstrates.

Then Blake pairs Lelia Broussard against Suzanna Choffel on "The Dog Days are Over". This is yet another stellar performance, with both contestants knocking it out of the park, and making a hit take on new life. Ultimately Blake picks Suzanna over Lelia, but it was very close and came down to intangibles in Blake's personal choice.

The last pairing is Christina's team, with Jocelyn Rivera against Sylvia Yakoub in the battle of the hotties, on "The Best Thing I Never Had". I liked Billie Joe's comment to Sylvia to watch the power and dial it down some, with this Spiderman reference. For the battle, both come out and sing hard and really do well. Another round of "Crap, how do you decide?" Christina finally chooses Sylvia on the emotion and power of her voice, which leaves Jocelyn up for steal. The audience are really in to her, and so both Adam and Blake make a go of it. She picks Adam, making that his second and final steal. Let's hope those work out for him.

Awesome night, with some interesting observations by contestants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heffalump and Roo View Post
The real winners are those people who lost the battle round but got picked up by another coach. None of those people are going to win anyway, but now they have the coaching of two more people in the industry. That's a win over those people who were kept by their own coach but won't likely win either.
Yes, if you're not going to go on to make it at least to the final round, having the opportunity to get coached by two sets instead of one set of professionals at this level is going to be a big bonus.

Quote:
I'm liking the steals because it gives one individual coach less power. I didn't like Christina's elimination of Jesse Campbell. Hopefully, something like that can't happen this season.
Well, that happened in later rounds, where the coach is picking against their own team, so it's still a possibility.

Quote:
The editing has taken most of the suspense out of the battle rounds and takes out the most fun part, the guessing whether I agreed with the coach or not. The show feels less spontaneous and a lot more scripted than last season.
I agree, the previews are giving far too much away - who is competing, which songs they're doing, the snarkiest lines, and even when steals are in the offing. I don't think the outcomes are scripted, but the editing is killing the suspense.

Quote:
I didn't like the personality of the woman (Terisa?) who questioned Blake on why he chose the song and accused him of trying to get rid of her, but I did like that she asked the question. In some of the battle rounds, it seems more evident that the coach is trying to favor one singer over the other in the song choice. Cee Lo almost admitted that he was trying to get rid of Amanda Brown in pairing her with Trevin Hunt because he said that he paired them together because he thought she wasn't as accomplished as she was.
Yes, those comments by Cee Lo was the closest we've come to an admission that a coach has a favorite and picked their pairings to support the favorites rather than challenge all the team members. I've seen the comment "I wish I hadn't paired you two because I want to keep you both", but that can be interpreted just as sadness at seeing anyone that good get eliminated, not necessarily a comment that they would prefer to put a contestant with the odds stacked. But the line about not thinking Amanda Brown as as accomplished as she is did feel a bit "Oh crap, now I have an actual duel instead of a stacked deck".

It's interesting that Terisa felt that way, but I think in this case it was more a lack of confidence than any sense of favoritism by Blake, because "Congo" isn't really Julio's gig either, despite being "latin". It was a push on both of them, with a hook each could get and a challenge each faced, so it did seem to me to be a push to the outside for each. Blake's trying to be creative.

Realize the coaches complete their list of competitors, then they have to map out the battle rounds. So they have to list them and pair them and dream up what songs to give them. They don't want to use the same songs or use songs any of the artists have chosen before, etc, etc, so there are a lot of constraints and fiddle factors. And ultimately they can run into a situation where they have an artist or two who aren't quite a match with anyone else, and have to figure how to make to disparate artists have something to compete with simulaneously. So odd pairings can happen because the easy or obvious or good pairings leave a few odds and ends. I think they do all this simultaneously, and have all their teams meet the advisor on the same day in succession. We get several weeks of things that happen in a much tighter time frame.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM

More competition, more also rans. Grrrrr. Three competitions skipped over, including the husband/wife duo that drew comments from the blind auditions (Beat Frequency). I wanted to watch that one play out.

We got to see the two country girls battle it out, with Blake taking experience. Another close one. And we got to see the two pop girls from Team Adam. Both had small issues with their singing. Alessandra was school trained, and trying so hard to be precise she wasn't quite keeping pace with the song. Kayla had some minor pitch issues. Adam ended up keeping Kayla, and on that performance I agree that Kayla was just a touch better. Then Christina did a stealth steal, waiting till the last minute, then giving a long comment that eventually led her to trigger her button. It makes sense, it's Christina's first steal, and they're fairly along through the battle rounds, and this girl is a pop dynamo like Christina is going for this season. So Alessandra got saved to team boobies, where she fits right in.

Cee Lo pit Emily Earle (I think she was an also ran) against Mackenzie Bourg, the boy with the Beiber haircut and Harry Potter glasses and the heart infection. Both have issues with their song, but Cee Lo hangs on to Mackenzie for his unique sound. Oddly, Blake passed over the country girl Emily Earle, but he skipped her in the blind auditions, too, so apparently he's not impressed just because she's country.

Adam and Cee Lo are out of steals, Christina and Blake each have one left. I think there's only one more week of battle rounds.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:25 PM

The editing this year is baffling and frustrating. Cassadee Pope had a four chair turn in the blind auditions, but they didn't show any of her battle round. Same for Joe Kirkland, except I'm not sure he got as many chairs to turn. Both of them seemed like front-runners, but we didn't see their performances. Instead they showed Daniel Rosa's whole performance. Does he really have a chance to win this whole thing?

This year, they're only showing some of the discussions with the coaches before the battles. But they're wasting a lot more airtime by cutting to a commercial right before the winner is announced and then having to catch the audience up after the commercial. There's a lot of replay of action already seen but then a lot of action cut out that was never seen.

At some point, they announced that the portions edited don't affect the outcome of the contest. When I heard that, I originally thought that the people who got edited out just didn't have a chance to win, so they could be dismissed. But then I heard Carson say something about live rounds last night. If the knock-out rounds are live, how could they know what the outcome will be? The editing might not affect the outcome of who wins, but it could affect the ability of the audience to understand why a certain person outperformed someone else because of how they did in the battle rounds. If the audience is voting in the live rounds like last year, it's a disadvantage not to get shown at all in the battle rounds. I'm wondering if that will have any impact on the live rounds. I think it would have if they did it that way last year.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:44 PM

Great observations.

It doesn't affect the outcome in the sense that we saw the results of that stage of competition, whether or not we saw any of that performer in that stage.

But because of audience voting and the nebulous role of personal impressions and performance history, this really could affect voting.

I think tonight they showed us that Joe Kirkland won without even showing us the snippet.

As I said before, this is ludicrous. If they don't have time for 16 performers for each coach to show us all the battle rounds, then they should have left the team counts at 12 per coach. That would have cut two battle rounds per coach, or 8 performances. Basically what they are editing out.

Last night's round did have Daniel Rosa against Alexis Marceaux. While Daniel had some interesting bits, he also had a few quirks, like mumble mouth. I liked Alexis' performance better, she won to me. Cee Lo seems to have been influenced by the idea of Daniel's story. I was kinda expecting Christina to make a steal on Alexis, but no joy.

Nicole Nelson won over Brandon Mahone, but I couldn't point to any flaws in his performance. They both pegged it.

Three we didn't get to see.

And Devyn DeLoera up against MarissaAnn. Again, a stellar performance, both with attitude and style, both with great voices. Christina picked Devyn, and Blake stole MarissaAnn.

One more night.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 AM

At the end of the battle rounds, I saw some snippets of how the knock out rounds will work. It wasn't very clear, but it looks like the coaches pair off two singers who sing against each other, but unlike the battle rounds, the singer can choose their own song. Similar to the battle rounds though, the coach can choose a strong singer and a weak singer to go against each other, and the coach has the final decision (my guess from the small snippet I saw).

If that's the case, the editing probably does show who will be eliminated. If Cassadee Pope and Joe Kirkland get eliminated in the knock out rounds, that's the reason they didn't need to show them in the battle rounds.

At this point in the competition, my favorites are Bryan Keith, Trevin Hunt, Nicholas David, Avery Wilson and Amanda Brown. All of them are on Team Cee Lo or Team Adam. Except for Bryan Keith, all of them started on Team Cee Lo. Even Christina noted that Cee Lo has a lot of great singers on his team, and several of them didn't get a chair turn from anyone else. Either Cee Lo has a good ear for talent or he's a good coach that allows his team to shine or he's been extremely lucky this season, or maybe a bit of all of the above.

This season, I've been impressed with Cee Lo's ability to summarize an emotional situation in a few words. For instance, when Nicholas David was struggling with ambivalence about competing with Todd, Cee Lo noted that Nicholas needed to 'come to terms with those mixed emotions.' Another instance was when he described the battle round with Caitlyn as "enchanted". I liked the imagery.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 AM

I enjoyed Cee Lo saying that he's not trained, but he's flawed in a fantastic way. Reminded me of last season, when he said that he can't really sing, but he can saaaaang. I'm gonna miss him next season.

I'm annoyed as hell at not seeing all the battle rounds.

I'm not really invested in Christina's team at all because pop belters bore me, but I have to say I was a little put off (if not surprised) by her pick of Adriana over Jordan. Not that Adriana is bad, that's obviously not the case, but I felt that Jordan had a much sweeter and richer tone to her voice, Adriana is just sort of one-dimensionally loud to my ears. Jordan's singing and presence seemed much more effortless (albeit unfortunately Disney), whereas Adriana was working so hard I was afraid she was gonna bust somethin'. I was bummed that no one was able to steal Jordan, I'd have liked to hear more from her.