Books that made you cry

From this thread, but in book form. What books made you cry–just a little teary, or full blown “can’t see the pages” crying?

I’ll start. The two that immediately came to mind are…

The Kite Runner. Sobbing in places so much I couldn’t even see the book, let alone the words on the pages.

My Sister’s Keeper. Ditto.

The Night Circus

The Poisonwood Bible

The Help (angry, frustrated, helpless, White Guilt tears)

Magic’s Price

When Rabbit Howls

Where the Red Fern Grows

ROOM

The Red Tent

The Last Battle (Narnia). Every time I read the series aloud to one of my kids I’m sobbing leading up to the ending.

Bridge to Terebithia in 5th grade

I must be cold-hearted, because I’ve read a lot of books, but the only one that ever made me cry was Misery by Stephen King. I won’t spoil it, but it was that part, the shocking and painful one.

A Storm of Swords, not spoiling anything for the next season of Game of Thrones but it wasn’t what happened inside that made me cry but outside.

Charlotte’s Web (of course).

from an old thread about books

Man, even just thinking about this book makes tear up a little. I can’t think of another book that’s affected as much as this one did when I was a kid.

Oh, god, if we’re going to include small children’s books, I’m sunk. I cannot get through On the Day You Were Born without great wracking sobs that scare my kids. Even just opening up that website to link to it made me catch my breath and two tears escaped before I could click back here right quick.

I’m not a cryer in real life, or at movies or television. Apparently, I am when it comes to books.

It may have been done before but I’ll start it anyway. Inspired by 'Movies that make you cry.

Only two books that I can think of have ever made me cry while reading them…

A Prayer for Owen Meany

And

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Just find it and read it.
And it seems I should have read further down the list, as I have started a duplicate topic…
Hey Mods! Can you lend a merge?

Flowers for Algernon <-- sobbed like a baby, only book I’ve read more than once.

A Tale of Two Cities

Merged duplicate threads.

Thanks!

Sophie’s Choice

The Road, by Cormac McCarthy

Next of Kin.

Kamchatka.

God, I’ve cried at most of these. I’m a crier when it comes to good literature. There are a couple that really stand out though -

*The Last Battle: one of the first books I remember crying at the end of. Not just because of the events of the book, but because I knew it was Over and there was no more to read. Kind of like having friends move far away when you’re a kid in the pre-internet age. You’ll always have your memories, but you’ll never know what else happens to them.
*Charlotte’s Web: How could you not?
*A Prayer for Owen Meany: I cry every time I read this book (and most of Irving’s novels, for that matter; Hotel New Hampshire is another big tear-fest for me). One of the things I love about Irving’s writing is that you can know the end of the book from the first page, and still wind up wracked with sobs when you get there.
*The Time-Traveler’s Wife: Ho-lee Moly. I was finishing it one morning when my husband left for work, sitting in the living room just bawling. “Why do you read these things?” he asked. “Because- it’s- so- good!” [sob]

I was reading The Little Match Girl out loud to my 6 year old nephew during a rather desperate time in our lives and I could barely choke out the final sentences. I was not familiar with the story before that; it’s heartbreaking. This is a fairy tale for kids?

Angela’s Ashes.