The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-05-2012, 11:26 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Dave Brubeck takes five - Dead at 91.

Breaking news.

I am profoundly saddened by this news. Dave has given me countless hours of pleasure, diversion, thought and contemplation over the years, and was always a gracious gentleman. I had the opportunity to give him directions once in Anchorage, and managed to do so without too much gushing and fawning.

Godspeed, Dave. The world is lessened with your passing.

Last edited by silenus; 12-05-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM

1 day short of 92 years old. Jazz has lost a great musician.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Deeply saddened - what a genuinely kind man he was. Thank you, Mr. Brubeck, for your long legacy of inspiration.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM

R. I. P. Dave

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmDDOFXSgAs
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Chick View Post
Quite simply, one of the most amazing songs of all time. Here's a performance from 1966:

http://youtu.be/faJE92phKzI
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

And another goodie from '61.

Not to detract in the slightest from Brubeck's well-deserved accolades, but I gotta give some props to Joe Morello here too. What a fabulous drummer.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:53 PM

So many of us grew up listening to his amazing music. He gave us so much. RIP.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:58 PM

I've been a fan since high school, and saw him in concert in college. One of the few musicians I'll never tire of.

Saddened by his passing.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

This one stings. "Take Five" alone was enough to make him a legend, and that's so tip of the iceberg...
Old 12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
And another goodie from '61.

Not to detract in the slightest from Brubeck's well-deserved accolades, but I gotta give some props to Joe Morello here too. What a fabulous drummer.
And Paul Desmond for the sax work on Take Five.

Brubeck was truly wonderful. I will listen to him tonight. Thanks, Dave.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM

RIP Dave Brubeck

Sadly, jazz great Dave Brubeck passed away today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/ar...pagewanted=all

His quartet’s 1959 recording of “Take Five” was the first jazz single to sell a million copies.

If you think you don't know him, I bet you do...

Thanks Dave!
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 PM

There are a number of versions of this tune, several with Paul, but it's what first crossed my mind when I read the news: Dave Brubeck - Koto Song (rare version)

Last edited by Zeldar; 12-05-2012 at 02:18 PM..
Old 12-05-2012, 02:39 PM

My favorite is Un Square Dance.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Ah, man. A true legend and musical genius has left us. Brubeck was my first introduction to jazz back in the 60s when Take Five hit the charts like a thunderbolt. By then, Dave had been working his craft for over 20 years in the relative obscurity of the jazz world, and eclipsed by such talents as Gillespie, Davis and the rest of the West Coast jazz greats. His fortuitous and insightful switch to drummer Joe Morello, the best jazz drummer who ever lived, was a real turning point for his group, and the ultimate cool sax of Desmond really presented a polished sound. My favorite album of all time is still Brubeck in Carnegie Hall, and my one cherished celebrity meeting was with Dave in Moscow in 1988, when I got to shake his hand and talk about his quartet. This leaves only bassist Eugene Wright, who is now 89 years old, as the sole remaining member of the group. Thanks for the music, Dave. Thanks for being an ambassador of good will all over the world. I'm sad man today, but grateful that we had you around for so long.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

RIP Dave

Interesting timing. We'd just gotten a new set of speakers for the kitchen and I've been breaking them in with all things Brubeck. The Dudeling can now recognize Take Five, Blue Rondo and Unsquare Dance (e's only three, but can keep the clapping bit in Unsquare Dance).

To break from the classics, here's one of my favourite Brubeck clips. Like lots of things, it's better to just watch it through and you'll totally understand, but if you want a reason to click a blind Youtube link:

SPOILER:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youtube Description
During a visit to Moscow in the 80's, Dave Brubeck met the faculty and students in Moscow Conservatory. While he was improvising on a "Ei, uhnem", a Russian folk song, a young man downstage stood up to play Stéphane Grappelli-style violin jazz with him.
Brubeck's face at 2:09 is priceless. An instant of "what's that?" to a big smile of recognition and a joyous grin. Perfecting it is how he effortlessly moves to support the violinist. It's beautiful.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhythmdvl View Post
RIP Dave

Interesting timing. We'd just gotten a new set of speakers for the kitchen and I've been breaking them in with all things Brubeck. The Dudeling can now recognize Take Five, Blue Rondo and Unsquare Dance (e's only three, but can keep the clapping bit in Unsquare Dance).

To break from the classics, here's one of my favourite Brubeck clips. Like lots of things, it's better to just watch it through and you'll totally understand, but if you want a reason to click a blind Youtube link:

SPOILER:

Brubeck's face at 2:09 is priceless. An instant of "what's that?" to a big smile of recognition and a joyous grin. Perfecting it is how he effortlessly moves to support the violinist. It's beautiful.
That is just fucking awesome. That must have been the same trip where I met him.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM
Charter Member

Okay, was I the only one surprised to hear Dave Brubeck was still alive?
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
Not only alive, but was touring up until last year.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I never played with Dave, but I had the pleasure of spending a few minutes talking to him at a club in San Francisco ca. 1966. We had something in common, as my friends at the table were all in the 22nd Army Band in Oakland, and he told us about his experience as a musician in the Army Band, something we did not know about him.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravnik View Post
Joe Morello just passed a year or so ago.

Chefguy: story?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Joe Morello just passed a year or so ago.

Chefguy: story?
I've related this before, but I was in Moscow as part of the Diplomatic Security advance team for the Reagan-Gorbachev summit in 1988. As a thank you for all the support staff work, the ambassador had a "do" at his residence after it was all over. As I walked in the door, I could hear Brubeck's unmistakable piano playing and thought, "oh, they got a DJ". My jaw hit the floor when I saw him at the piano. His son was playing with him and Eugene Wright, who happened to be on tour on his own, was also playing with him.

Reagan gave a little spiel and then Brubeck and company left the stage. I saw him heading out the door to the garden, and when everybody started flocking around the Secstate to yammer at him, I headed out after Dave. He was talking to one of the Marine Security Guards, and signing an album cover (FUCK!). I thought "what the hell" and walked up to him, introduced myself and we just stood and chatted for about five minutes with nobody else around. I had lost track of his group after the 70s, and when he told me that Desmond had died and Morello had gone blind, I teared up at the injustice of the world. I didn't even think to get an autograph, but I found the Marine afterward and discovered I didn't have enough money in the bank to get that album from him. I told him to sleep with one eye open until I went back to Frankfurt.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM

My favorite version of Bicycle Built for Two ("Daisy Bell" for the inevitable band of nitpickers) is the one Brubeck did for some animated Charlie Brown feature.

It's fantastic.

Link
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

The ultimate West Coast take on an East Coast jazz tune.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

This is what I want to be listening to when I die.

40 Days
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Check out this tribute performance for him at the Kenendy Center Honors. There's a point where...

SPOILER:
they pull back a partition to reveal that all his sons are on stage performing, and he clearly mouths "son of a bitch!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1jWlpMQW3Y&sns=em
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Photo Gallery from the Stockton Record.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 PM

I've been tearing up several times today reading all the tributes and watching and listening to so many of his performance. I'm a quite recent fan (collected several of his albums over the last 3-4 months), and I'm really surprised how hard this has hit me. I never saw him in person, but I listen to something by him pretty much every day.

RIP Dave. The world is a poorer place without you.

And thanks very much for that link, Pork Rind. I hadn't seen it before and it was the most recent thing to bring tears to my eyes.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:17 PM

I think that like a lot of people, Take Five was my gateway song to jazz. I'm forever indepted to him for that.

That video of him playing with the impromptu violinist in Moscow is just too much. When I see something like that, I think people like them should run the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist View Post
Brubeck fans are probably already familiar with this, but for those who aren't, here's Morello playing the melody to Shortenin' Bread--as a drum solo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vO2Qb_6FkY
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Oh, man, that was great! Wouldn't surprise me if the big grin on Dave's face on that album cover was shot as he was listening to Morello play that!
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Make sure your children know his music.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
RIP Dave

SPOILER:

Thank you. I'm not much of a jazz fan but that was amazing.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
This is what I want to be listening to when I die.

40 Days
Beautiful piece. Desmond was a god.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM

I thought I'd throw in a picture of the young Dave Brubeck, looking like the nerdliest guy this side of Buddy Holly.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

I still own, and play, the original LP Take Five that my parents bought.

I think I'll put it on now.

Last edited by BMalion; 12-05-2012 at 11:31 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
I still own, and play, the original LP Take Five that my parents bought.

I think I'll put it on now.
I meant the LP Time Out.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:07 AM

I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl in the summer of '65 along with Peter, Paul and Mary. What a great night of music.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 AM
Right Hand of the Master

The passing of a Great is always depressing to me, so I will spend this afternoon listening to a lot of his music and simply enjoying.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unix Geek View Post
Make sure your children know his music.
Already done. I yammer on so much about Joe Morello that I get eye rolls from my son, but he concedes that Castillian Drums is one of the finest drum solos ever played.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Oh, man. This really makes me sad.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Listened to the first half of Time Out on my commute to work this morning, looking forward to the second half on the way home tonight.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:57 AM

There was life before Time Out and one of my all-time favorites of the group (before Eugene Wright even) is Dave Brubeck 01 Nomad -- Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on July 28 & 30 and August 23, 1958.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I plugged my phone into a set of mini-speakers yesterday and my classes listened to Brubeck while they studied. I told them why they were listening, and they understood. A few even put away their own music to listen to Dave. I'm slowly working my way through the collection at home. I only own 30 some odd Brubeck recordings, so it shouldn't take too long.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
There was life before Time Out and one of my all-time favorites of the group (before Eugene Wright even) is Dave Brubeck 01 Nomad -- Recorded at Columbia 30th Street Studios, New York, New York on July 28 & 30 and August 23, 1958.
I just heard that this morning on the local NPR jazz station. Brubeck said that he was on tour and heard music outside his hotel window in Kabul. He looked out and saw traders, camels and the like. It inspired him to write that piece.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM

You older folks may be able to help me remember some novelty tune from the late 50's or early 60's where this alien is talking to a beatnik (too early to have been a hippie, I wager) about some music and the beatnik says something like, "Naw, man, I ain't into that jazz. I'm into Brubeck, Shearing and the Modern jazz Quartet..." That may be my first awareness of the MJQ and Brubeck, but I was aware of Shearing as a toddler. That novelty tune may have been Freberg's but I haven't found it on YouTube yet.

Does anybody have references to Brubeck in other songs? I can't get Donald Fagen New Frontier (HQ) out of my head for some reason.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
You older folks may be able to help me remember some novelty tune from the late 50's or early 60's where this alien is talking to a beatnik (too early to have been a hippie, I wager) about some music and the beatnik says something like, "Naw, man, I ain't into that jazz. I'm into Brubeck, Shearing and the Modern jazz Quartet..." That may be my first awareness of the MJQ and Brubeck, but I was aware of Shearing as a toddler. That novelty tune may have been Freberg's but I haven't found it on YouTube yet.

Does anybody have references to Brubeck in other songs? I can't get Donald Fagen New Frontier (HQ) out of my head for some reason.
Found the lyrics to The Mummy (not an alien) at
http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/bob+mcf..._20788913.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvpQjl8SWw
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM

They may repeat this show again soon, but here's an hour with another of the old folks, Marian McPartland: Dave Brubeck On Piano Jazz (Originally broadcast Jan. 18, 1997.)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Not only was Brubeck a jazz genius, but a social pioneer--He would pass up gigs that insisted on an all white band, including a tour of South Africa.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
Not only was Brubeck a jazz genius, but a social pioneer--He would pass up gigs that insisted on an all white band, including a tour of South Africa.
We may see him as a social pioneer, but he just saw himself as an artist, with no patience for distractions from his art. Jazz performers have been refusing to play segregated venues long before Brubeck came along, he being only next in the line of those who see music as transcending prejudice. It's why so many artists moved to - or at least lived in - France for many years, since in that country musicians were appreciated for their art, not their skin color.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

When I was sixteen I saw him at and outdoor concert with a bunch of my friends. When I told my step dad I was going to see Dave Brubeck, he was surprised I knew who he was, this was in the early seventies
Old 12-06-2012, 05:40 PM
An 8th-note short of a 4/4 bar

Today at work, in honour of Brubeck's memory and his birthday, I played the "Time Out" CD and ate some chocolate (I heard he was a chocoholic. )