Dave Brubeck takes five - Dead at 91.

Breaking news.

I am profoundly saddened by this news. Dave has given me countless hours of pleasure, diversion, thought and contemplation over the years, and was always a gracious gentleman. I had the opportunity to give him directions once in Anchorage, and managed to do so without too much gushing and fawning.

Godspeed, Dave. The world is lessened with your passing.

1 day short of 92 years old. Jazz has lost a great musician.

Deeply saddened - what a genuinely kind man he was. Thank you, Mr. Brubeck, for your long legacy of inspiration.

R. I. P. Dave

Quite simply, one of the most amazing songs of all time. Here’s a performance from 1966:

And another goodie from '61.

Not to detract in the slightest from Brubeck’s well-deserved accolades, but I gotta give some props to Joe Morello here too. What a fabulous drummer.

So many of us grew up listening to his amazing music. He gave us so much. RIP.

I’ve been a fan since high school, and saw him in concert in college. One of the few musicians I’ll never tire of.

Saddened by his passing.

This one stings. “Take Five” alone was enough to make him a legend, and that’s so tip of the iceberg…

And Paul Desmond for the sax work on Take Five.

Brubeck was truly wonderful. I will listen to him tonight. Thanks, Dave.

Sadly, jazz great Dave Brubeck passed away today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/arts/music/dave-brubeck-jazz-musician-dies-at-91.html?pagewanted=all

His quartet’s 1959 recording of “Take Five” was the first jazz single to sell a million copies.

If you think you don’t know him, I bet you do
Thanks Dave!

There are a number of versions of this tune, several with Paul, but it’s what first crossed my mind when I read the news: Dave Brubeck - Koto Song (rare version)

My favorite is Un Square Dance.

Ah, man. A true legend and musical genius has left us. Brubeck was my first introduction to jazz back in the 60s when Take Five hit the charts like a thunderbolt. By then, Dave had been working his craft for over 20 years in the relative obscurity of the jazz world, and eclipsed by such talents as Gillespie, Davis and the rest of the West Coast jazz greats. His fortuitous and insightful switch to drummer Joe Morello, the best jazz drummer who ever lived, was a real turning point for his group, and the ultimate cool sax of Desmond really presented a polished sound. My favorite album of all time is still Brubeck in Carnegie Hall, and my one cherished celebrity meeting was with Dave in Moscow in 1988, when I got to shake his hand and talk about his quartet. This leaves only bassist Eugene Wright, who is now 89 years old, as the sole remaining member of the group. Thanks for the music, Dave. Thanks for being an ambassador of good will all over the world. I’m sad man today, but grateful that we had you around for so long.

RIP Dave :frowning:

Interesting timing. We’d just gotten a new set of speakers for the kitchen and I’ve been breaking them in with all things Brubeck. The Dudeling can now recognize Take Five, Blue Rondo and Unsquare Dance (e’s only three, but can keep the clapping bit in Unsquare Dance).

To break from the classics, here’s one of my favourite Brubeck clips. Like lots of things, it’s better to just watch it through and you’ll totally understand, but if you want a reason to click a blind Youtube link:

[spoiler]

Brubeck’s face at 2:09 is priceless. An instant of “what’s that?” to a big smile of recognition and a joyous grin. Perfecting it is how he effortlessly moves to support the violinist. It’s beautiful. [/spoiler]

That is just fucking awesome. That must have been the same trip where I met him.

Okay, was I the only one surprised to hear Dave Brubeck was still alive?

Not only alive, but was touring up until last year.

I never played with Dave, but I had the pleasure of spending a few minutes talking to him at a club in San Francisco ca. 1966. We had something in common, as my friends at the table were all in the 22nd Army Band in Oakland, and he told us about his experience as a musician in the Army Band, something we did not know about him.

Joe Morello just passeda year or so ago.

Chefguy: story?