Newbie "Fringe" question

I’ve started watching “Fringe,” and am still in Season 1. I’m holding off on a lot of questions, because I’d rather answer them as the show progresses. But I have one question up-front: What is the meaning of the figures at every commercial break . . . a butterfly, and 6-fingered hand, a flower, etc., all with a big white dot? Or tell me whether I’m not supposed to know this yet, and I’ll save it.

I’ve noticed the butterfly has bones in its wings, and the seeds in the halved apple are human embryos.

I haven’t figured out the flower yet.

I seem to recall that each symbol represented a letter of the alphabet, and that if you looked at all the symbols in a given episode, they spelled out a 5-letter word.

It’s a code, with each symbol representing a letter. Usually it spells a word connected to the episode. It’s pretty irrelevant to the show (although a recent episode did make a reference to it). On the Fringe Wiki you can see the code and the word that gets spelled every episode.

Here’s a link with the decodes, if you don’t want to try to figure it out yourself:

http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Glyphs_code

All these years and I never noticed!