The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 12-06-2012, 01:14 PM

Need help with pot pie gravy

Mrs. Cad loves pot pies but hates gravy because of the texture (too gelatinous). She wants that sort of sauce that you get with Marie Callendar's pot pie. My sister-in-law tried it with cream of chicken soup but that was an abhorant mess. I saw a recipe where the gravy was thickened by roasted root vegetables and not flour or corn starch so I'm thinking of trying that. Any other ideas on how to get the texture of Marie Callendar's pot pie sauce/gravy?
Advertisements  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

I've seen a few pot pie recipes where the sauce was thickened with arrowroot instead of cornstarch or flour - it is supposed to produce a less cloudy/starchy gravy.

Last edited by Motorgirl; 12-06-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 12-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Creature of the Night

Has she tried pot pies with broth, instead of gravy? Pot pies, IMO, don't actually need gravy, but they do need some sort of liquid.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Cad View Post
Mrs. Cad loves pot pies but hates gravy because of the texture (too gelatinous). She wants that sort of sauce that you get with Marie Callendar's pot pie. My sister-in-law tried it with cream of chicken soup but that was an abhorant mess. I saw a recipe where the gravy was thickened by roasted root vegetables and not flour or corn starch so I'm thinking of trying that. Any other ideas on how to get the texture of Marie Callendar's pot pie sauce/gravy?
Thin the cream of chicken soup to the desired consistency with chicken stock.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM

chicken broth and a blonde roux.

make a blonde roux and then add chicken stock until you get the quantity and desired texture.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM

Yeah, why not try just using a little less roux to make the gravy a little less thick? Or less of whatever thickener you're using.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

If you want to experiment with something different, I've seen pot pies that use cheese instead of gravy as the semi-liquid filling that holds the solid ingredients together.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM

I don't know what Marie Callender's pot pies are like, but when I make lobster and clam pies I just use heavy cream and the starch from the potatoes and the crust does plenty to thicken it up.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM

I don't make gravy from scratch for my pot pie...I buy a nice jar of gravy and use that. It's...well, gravy rather than thick and jelly ish.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 AM

Cream of Celery soup works very well.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
I don't know what Marie Callender's pot pies are like, but when I make lobster and clam pies I just use heavy cream and the starch from the potatoes and the crust does plenty to thicken it up.
Clam pie. That sounds wonderful. Have a recipe?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 AM

The best use of instant potatoes ever, use them instead of flour for thickening, adds texture without the gluten, should work in a pot pie as well.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbub View Post

make a blonde roux and then add chicken stock until you get the quantity and desired texture.
Or if you want to sound fancy, call it veloute.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:22 PM

A lot depends on the nature of the recipe you're using. But a couple of other methods to thicken your sauce would be to cook some diced potatoes in stock, then puree with a bit of cream--this can be added to your cooked aromatics and chicken. Alternatively I've found cauliflower works well as long as there isn't too much liquid, I've done this with alfredo sauce before.

Arrowroot or tapioca would be your other two possibilities.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:31 PM

I make pot pie in puff pastry, like a pot pie turnover, so I can't have the gravy too thin or it runs out and the pie doesn't stay sealed. I fry about three chicken breasts in about a tablespoon of oil. remove the chicken breasts from the pan, fry my veggies in the same pan (adding more oil only if needed, i.e. a dry pan). dust the veggies with a couple of teaspoons of flour and some herbs, cook for a a couple of minutes then add chicken broth a little at a time until I get a sauce that's a little thinner than I want (it tightens up over time). This way I get all the chickeny bits off the bottom of the pan and I can get a non-slimy or wet gravy for my pot pit. It just ties all the flavors together.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post

one of the five mother sauces - just remember BETH V.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:43 PM

I love the idea of box potatoes in the pie. I am making some now so I have to try it !
Old 02-10-2014, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbub View Post

This. Its pretty easy, just cook patiently.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattua View Post
Oh, look at you getting all fancy and Frenchified. Next you'll be talking about mirapoix and the like.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 AM

I think you can thicken anything with that tasteless instant mashed potato. That is the only reason I have it in my pantry.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Yeah, why not try just using a little less roux to make the gravy a little less thick? Or less of whatever thickener you're using.
I've had Marie Calendar's pot pies and the filling to me, as I remember it, was just a regular ol' gravy. Looking at their ingredient list online, it doesn't seem to be thickened with anything but flour and corn starch.

Personally, I like to thicken with flour most of the time, as corn starch makes food a bit glossy and gelatinous. So I'd start with using flour, and being careful with how much roux or slurry (a mix of flour and cold water) I mix into the liquid being thickened.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:56 AM

If you want to use root vegetables, you need an immersion blender. For Thanksgiving, I just blended the turkey juices with the veggies the bird was resting on as it cooked. The result was a nice, thick, smooth gravy.

At Christmas, I whisked blond roux, port, and and a knob of sweet butter into my goose juices after ladling off as much of the fat as I could. This produced a delicious gravy.

In both cases, you need to add salt and pepper to taste. If you want herbs as well, stick them in the roasting pan with the bird and remove them before you blend the juices.

Last edited by terentii; 02-11-2014 at 09:00 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Marie Callendar's pot pies are delicious.
64 grams of fat (24 saturated) per serving delicious.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
If you want to experiment with something different, I've seen pot pies that use cheese instead of gravy as the semi-liquid filling that holds the solid ingredients together.
Whoa. My cardiologist will be soooo mad that you informed me of this!