Your Good Songs for terrible break ups.

Inspired by this thread. Too many people are listing good songs… and its making Mean Old Lady cranky.

My #1 pick

Bell Bottom Blues
also well almost anything off Derek and the Dominos Layla album

“Try and Love Again” by the Eagles off Hotel California.

My wife of 23 years and I just split up. I have played this song dozens of times in the past few months. Still sucks.

“Romeo & Juliet” by Dire Straits. And, oddly enough, “Popsicle” by Talking Heads. Both applied to my last, needlessly failed, relationship.

Three Mile Pilot’s “Another Desert, Another Sea” album was written after two of its members went through really bad breakups. A cousin told me he didn’t like or understand the album until he went through a bad breakup of his own “then it all made sense”, and he listened to it constantly.

Chad and Jeremy’s A Summer Song.

Enya’s Flora’s Secret.

Skeeter Davis’s End of the World.

In May of 1975, I fell head over heels in love with a girl I met at a mediaeval tournament. I was a herald, she was a dancer; when our eyes first met for the first time it was Click!. During our time together, we would go to an open field on a hill every evening and lay in the long grass, watching the sun set and the stars come out.

To make a long story short, it ended badly (I was 20, she was 16); I’ve had lots of girlfriends since, but she is the one I wish I could have married. Thirty-seven years later, I still love her.

That’s why the above have special meaning for me.

The entire Midnight organ fight album by Frightened Rabbit.
Here’s a sample

Damn I love the SONG>> but they always play “WOnderful Tonight”… ughhh…

Lenny Kravitz… second album…“It ain’t over till it’s over…”… and “What the fuck are we saying”… it was the album he did after Lisa Bonet caught him cheating on her and left him… Lenny poured it out on that album… me and my dudes thought that she shouldve taken him hack after that album…

Bad Time - Grand Funk Railroad (Jayhawks cover is good too)

Say You Miss Me - Wilco

Anything by Patsy Cline. She was the queen of hurtin’ songs.

Walking after Midnight is one of my favourites.

Sorry for your situation. :frowning:

My choice for an Eagles “get over the breakup” song would be “Wasted Time”. Don Henley’s solo effort “The Heart of the Matter” makes for a good sequel to it, too.

Resurrecting my thread. I got sick and kind of fell off the dope the week before Christmas, and I hadn’t seen ANY replies to this thread. I didn’t mean to ditch it.

Every song on here is magnificent. The ones I didn’t know I went and checked out, liked the Frightened Rabit stuff I found on youtube quite a bit.

Here’s another one. “Behind Blue Eyes” used to just hit a certain spot right…there… when I went through a breakup.

Randy Newman’s “Just One Smile.” I usually have to go to the Al Kooper Blood Sweat and Tears version. Randy’s is better, but I don’t know if he ever recorded it (I saw him do it on TV).

Husker Du - Don’t Want To Know If You Are Lonely or Never Talking To You Again

Elvis Costello - I Hope You’re Happy Now or “No Action” (can’t find a good Youtube clip for this one)

Oh, probably half the Afghan Whigs catalog… specifically “Now You Know”, though.

I searched for a YouTube link, didn’t find it out there.