The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-06-2013, 10:51 PM

Words that go together

In modern English, if you "wreak" something, it's generally "havoc" (or possibly revenge). The only thing that can be "akimbo" is "arms". There's only "flotsam" where there's also "jetsam"

Is there a term for words like this that are solely or mainly used in just one context? And what are some more that people can think of?
Advertisements  
Old 01-06-2013, 11:01 PM

You never hear nook without cranny.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuthead View Post
You never hear nook without cranny.
I would say that is actually the other way around. I've never heard cranny in another context but I've heard of a breakfast nook.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM

The technical term is collocation.

You can't write a picture, draw an essay, go the dishes, or play skiing.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 PM

"Ajar" ("Door")
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM

Yeah, that's close. But this would be a particular type of collocation - one in which a component had fallen so much into disuse that it never appeared outside that specific context.

I'm seeing Collocational restriction on wiki as well, but again that isn't quite it - the 'white' in 'white wine' or 'white man' might be different to 'white paint' but the word 'white' is still ubiquitous in other contexts.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:21 PM

I was just noticing today that "nigh" is usually preceded by "The end of the world is."
Old 01-06-2013, 11:25 PM

Michelle, ma belle,
These are words that go together well.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
Yeah, that's close. But this would be a particular type of collocation - one in which a component had fallen so much into disuse that it never appeared outside that specific context.

I'm seeing Collocational restriction on wiki as well, but again that isn't quite it - the 'white' in 'white wine' or 'white man' might be different to 'white paint' but the word 'white' is still ubiquitous in other contexts.
Yeah after more thought, there's several different terms for "words that go together."

Compound nouns: the trash bag is never the waste bag because "trash bag" is a word in itself.
Cliche, expression, saying: A bird in the hand is worth __________.
Phrasal verbs: when a verb and a preposition are put together to form a new, specific meaning, they always must go together.

I believe the OP has examples of all of the ones I mentioned in their original post except phrasal verbs.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:37 AM

We had this discussion just last month, started by OP Silver Tyger

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=675139
Old 01-07-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledwater View Post
I was just noticing today that "nigh" is usually preceded by "The end of the world is."
A train also draws nigh, especially when it's about to plow over Bill Grogan's goat.

Last edited by Senegoid; 01-07-2013 at 12:41 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senegoid View Post
We had this discussion just last month, started by OP Silver Tyger

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=675139
And the answer is fossil word. Lottsa good examples in the Wiki entry.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhal View Post
The technical term is collocation.

You can't write a picture, draw an essay, go the dishes, or play skiing.
All those words go perfectly well with lots of other words. They are not in any way examples of what the OP is talking about.

Furthermore, the fact that you cannot write a picture, etc., is not a fact about language at all, it is a fact about the natures of the acts and objects named.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnglmassiv View Post
And the answer is fossil word. Lottsa good examples in the Wiki entry.
FTW!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njtt View Post
All those words go perfectly well with lots of other words. They are not in any way examples of what the OP is talking about.

Furthermore, the fact that you cannot write a picture, etc., is not a fact about language at all, it is a fact about the natures of the acts and objects named.
Had a long answer planned, but instead I'll just call you ignorant and advise you to check any grammar book about "word choice error" or "collocation error."

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: changed "stupid" to "ignorant"
Old 01-07-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Had a long answer planned, but instead I'll just call you ignorant and advise you to check any grammar book about "word choice error" or "collocation error."
If you generously grant that njtt meant "grammar" specifically and not "language" generally, his statement is correct.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Potato View Post
If you generously grant that njtt meant "grammar" specifically and not "language" generally, his statement is correct.
Sigh. Read my post above and follow the same instructions.

If you've never heard of either, I'd suggest dropping it now and calling it a loss.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 05:57 AM.. Reason: I tried to help the previous poster save face.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:

If you've never heard of either, I'd suggest dropping it now and calling it a loss.
Far be it for me to get into a grammar argument at 4 in the morning when I should be working, but according to my understanding, the invalidity of phrases like "write a picture" is semantic and not syntactic. "Write a picture" is as grammatical as "read a book."
Old 01-07-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Far be it for me to get into a grammar argument at 4 in the morning when I should be working, but according to my understanding, the invalidity of phrases like "write a picture" is semantic and not syntactic. "Write a picture" is as grammatical as "read a book."
Again, I would advise you to figure out what a "word choice error" and a "collocation error" are before you continue to embarrass yourself.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Weighing the effort of calling this guy "ignorant" too.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Again, I would advise you to figure out what a "word choice error" and a "collocation error" are before you continue to embarrass yourself.
Alternatively, you could explain what a word choice error is and why it has anything to do with syntax.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:21 AM

It doesn't. It's a well accepted grammar error that would be marked wrong by perhaps 100% of native speakers who saw it, which is the gold standard for deciding what is "right" or "wrong" in terms of grammar.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 06:23 AM.. Reason: heh, i didn't realize these things were so ripe in sarcastic humor. :D
Old 01-07-2013, 06:27 AM

And most native speakers don't know the difference between syntax and semantics, but there's no reason to be sloppy when you're talking in a context where the difference might be important or useful. The rules of syntax may be determined by corpus linguistics, but that doesn't mean that every time someone says "this is wrong" it means "this violates the rules of English grammar."

IOW, if somebody says "write a picture" is bad grammar, they're wrong, or they don't know what grammar is. There is absolutely no difficulty in parsing "write a picture" as English.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:29 AM

The only thing you can make the welkin do is ring.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 01-07-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
And most native speakers don't know the difference between syntax and semantics, but there's no reason to be sloppy when you're talking in a context where the difference might be important or useful. The rules of syntax may be determined by corpus linguistics, but that doesn't mean that every time someone says "this is wrong" it means "this violates the rules of English grammar."

IOW, if somebody says "write a picture" is bad grammar, they're wrong, or they don't know what grammar is. There is absolutely no difficulty in parsing "write a picture" as English.
"Write a picture" is a well-known grammar error, if only you did the research I suggested.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: I f'd your Grammar last night :D
Old 01-07-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
It is also very early in the morning for me yet I have an MA in a related field and have been teaching grammar for ~20 years.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: :0 ;0 :0: I just wanted you to see my "0" face when I meet your Grammar tonight.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
"Write a picture" is a well known grammar error.
Many things are "well known" grammar errors that have nothing at all to do with grammar. A simple parse of the phrase in question is enough to correspond its structure with one of the most basic units of English syntax:

[VP write a picture] = [VP [V write] [NP a picture]] => [VP [V write] [NP [D a] [N picture]]]

To claim that merely nonsense phrases are bad grammar is to blur the definition of grammar to the point of uselessness. It would be like saying that dropping an anvil on your foot is bad metallurgy: sure, there's a connection there, but no, not really.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Many things are "well known" grammar errors that have nothing at all to do with grammar. A simple parse of the phrase in question is enough to correspond its structure with one of the most basic units of English syntax:

[VP write a picture] = [VP [V write] [NP a picture]] => [VP [V write] [NP [D a] [N picture]]]

To claim that merely nonsense phrases are bad grammar is to blur the definition of grammar to the point of uselessness. It would be like saying that dropping an anvil on your foot is bad metallurgy: sure, there's a connection there, but no, not really.
Seriously, you're trying to drop that UG crap to win an argument? Green dreams sleep furiously?

Again, see what I posted.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: I'm looking forward to f'ing your Grammar and your Gram-Papa today. :D
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM

"Green dreams sleep furiously" is nonsense but good grammar. Really, why are you so insistent on making syntax do a job that it's not meant to do? If you could point out to me where in a reputable book on grammar by actual linguists (CGEL for example) it lists the rule by which "write a picture" can be judged ungrammatical, I would happily concede the point.

EDIT: and you leave my grampapa alone!

Last edited by Stealth Potato; 01-07-2013 at 07:00 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
"Green dreams sleep furiously" is nonsense but good grammar. Really, why are you so insistent on making syntax do a job that it's not meant to do? If you could point out to me where in a reputable book on grammar by actual linguists (CGEL for example) it lists the rule by which "write a picture" can be judged ungrammatical, I would happily concede the point.
Go ahead and pick up any writing or grammar text written in the past 10 years. There's probably numerous sections on why word choice/collocation errors are real, accepted errors.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: Your Grammar loved it. :D "Oh Superhal, tear my superfluous imaginations about linguistics apart again! again! AGAIN!"
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Go ahead and pick up any writing or grammar text written in the past 10 years. There's probably numerous sections on why word choice/collocation errors are real, accepted errors.
Errors, yes. Syntax errors, no.

EDIT: it strikes me that perhaps the root of this disagreement is that I've been using "grammar" to mean precisely "syntax," but you might mean it more broadly. I'd hoped this was implied when I drew the distinction between "language" and "grammar" wrt njtt's post, but if that's all this is about then I retract my belligerent corrections.

Last edited by Stealth Potato; 01-07-2013 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Errors, yes. Syntax errors, no.

EDIT: it strikes me that perhaps the root of this disagreement is that I've been using "grammar" to mean precisely "syntax," but you might mean it more broadly. I'd hoped this was implied when I drew the distinction between "language" and "grammar" wrt njtt's post, but if that's all this is about then I retract my belligerent corrections.
No problem.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 07:06 AM.. Reason: "Oh Potato, does this mean Superhal will never visit me again?" Superhal: "Oh, I'll be around...don't you worry."
Old 01-07-2013, 07:15 AM

Well, in my defense I'll only say that in linguistics, "grammar" usually does refer only to morphology and syntax. In my field (computer science, admittedly a bit removed from human linguistics), it does so exclusively.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 AM

Apropos "write a picture", following the katharevousa Greek idiom the proper verb for what an Eastern Orthodox iconographer does in creating one, which most of us would use "draw and paint" as the relevant verbs, is "to write an icon." The reference, as I understand it, is to the symbology appropriate to each saint's iconology.

Though a quite specialized usage, I'd have to say it is grammatically sound English.

Last edited by Polycarp; 01-07-2013 at 07:20 AM..
Old 01-07-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polycarp View Post
Sigh.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: I guess I got a new Grammar I gotta visit. :D
Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Sigh.
I'm with Polycarp on this one. He said it was grammatically spund, and I completely agree.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I'm with Polycarp on this one. He said it was grammatically spund, and I completely agree.
I figured you would.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: Your Grammar told me to tell you to stop "showing your ignorant monkey butt" in public.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM

Notwithstanding that Polycarp's argument relates to Greek, I still challenge you to find any evidence of unspundness. I am quite sure none exists.

EDIT: of course now I see that Polycarp has corrected his post and thereby rendered me ridiculous.

Last edited by Stealth Potato; 01-07-2013 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: Well, _more_ ridiculous.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Notwithstanding that Polycarp's argument relates to Greek, I still challenge you to find any evidence of unspundness. I am quite sure none exists.
Unspundification has a long history.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: Now your Grammar is pissed! She took out her dentures and put in her fangs! She looks like Dick Cheney and Secretariat's baby
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Unspundification has a long history.
Found a cite:

http://www.aaargh.get.that.scary.twi...ay.from.me.com
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspidistra View Post
In modern English, if you "wreak" something, it's generally "havoc" (or possibly revenge). The only thing that can be "akimbo" is "arms". There's only "flotsam" where there's also "jetsam"

Is there a term for words like this that are solely or mainly used in just one context? And what are some more that people can think of?
Not true -- Legs can also be akimbo. I thought of naming a character "'Legs' Akimbo", but shortly afterwards, the comic strip Meek and Eek did just that.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
She looks like Dick Cheney and Secretariat's baby.
I admit, I lol'ed.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
I admit, I lol'ed.
Heh, I can't stop lol'ing actually.

Personal best thread ever.

Last edited by Superhal; 01-07-2013 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: And your Grammar agrees!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Moderator Note

Superhal, you can make your argument without resorting to so much snark and personal remarks. No warning issued, but let's dial it back.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 AM

Though you'll often find kits on their own, you'll never see a caboodle without one.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledwater View Post
Well.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Keeping my password unchanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
Michelle, ma belle,
These are words that go together well.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
You can't write a picture, ...
Am I the only "Merkin who immediately thought of "writing an exam" upon reading this?

To Americans, if one can be said to "write an exam" at all, it is an action done by the teacher who designs the exam which the students will be tested with. To a Brit, I understand it to be a perfectly normal description of when the students do when the write down the answers to those questions.

In my opinion, it would be foolish to suggest that "write an exam" is acceptable grammar in England, but unacceptable grammar in the States. Rather, the grammar is acceptable in both places, but the usage is not found in the US. And by extension, "write a picture" would be acceptable grammar everywhere, but acceptable usage nowhere.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM

If you ever hear the phrase "Bay of Pigs" without the word "fiasco" attached, it is a geographic reference.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeve View Post
Am I the only "Merkin who immediately thought of "writing an exam" upon reading this?

To Americans, if one can be said to "write an exam" at all, it is an action done by the teacher who designs the exam which the students will be tested with. To a Brit, I understand it to be a perfectly normal description of when the students do when the write down the answers to those questions.

In my opinion, it would be foolish to suggest that "write an exam" is acceptable grammar in England, but unacceptable grammar in the States. Rather, the grammar is acceptable in both places, but the usage is not found in the US. And by extension, "write a picture" would be acceptable grammar everywhere, but acceptable usage nowhere.
What? You don't write an exam in the US? What do you do?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan View Post
What? You don't write an exam in the US? What do you do?
Take an exam.