The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 04-03-2013, 09:30 PM

When I Was A Little Kid, I Wondered...

...why fingernail clippers were big and fingernail clippers were small, when toenails are smaller than fingernails.

...why my parents never got arrested for passing signs that said DO NOT PASS.

...why my mother only pretended to mail my letters to my grandma when they were obviously in cursive writing, just like hers- I made big loops on the page just like hers!

What did you wonder- do you remember?
Advertisements  
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

How people who didn't speak English could use the phone system. How did it know what language they were speaking, so it could come out the other end like that?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM

If you picked up the phone and dialed THAT phone's number, would it break?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:42 PM
See, I had a dog named Bubba
Charter Member

If my next door neighbors ever pooped. They just didn't seem like the type of people who would do something like that.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice The Goon View Post
...why fingernail clippers were big and fingernail clippers were small, when toenails are smaller than fingernails.

...why my mother only pretended to mail my letters to my grandma when they were obviously in cursive writing, just like hers- I made big loops on the page just like hers!

Oops- obvs I meant toenail clippers were big, in the first one. Stupid sexy typos.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
This one didn't have me wondering.

But Hidden Drive signs had me looking for things like the BatCave entrance from the TV show. And this Chas Addams cartoon had me thinking this is what Speed Checked By Radar meant. (and now I have to post this in that other thread)

Last edited by TriPolar; 04-03-2013 at 09:52 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 10:04 PM

Why my mom kept a little flexible frisbee in a zippered container in her nightstand. I mean, if you've got a cool toy like that, why not keep it out?

/it actually didn't work as a frisbee very well.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 PM

One of my earliest memories is of looking out the window, and watching the cars go by(proving that I've always been a tremendously exciting person). I guess 3-year-olds don't have the best depth perception(or understanding of how traffic lanes work), because I'd always wonder how, when two cars seemed to be headed right toward each other, it never resulted in any head-on collisions. Just could not figure it out. And I was supposedly one of those gifted, off-the-charts-smart kids!
Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM

How petroleum always happened to be fortuitously situated underground at street corners, thereby allowing gas stations to build over them in convenient locations. I'm embarrassed to admit how old I was before I figured out the truth.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:37 PM

When I was a kid I wondered how airplanes got small when they were in the air and how it felt to the people inside when they shrunk along with the plane and got bigger again when they were on the ground.

Last edited by cochrane; 04-03-2013 at 10:37 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Once when I was a kid, I took a pair of scissors and cut a hole in my pajamas, because I wanted to see what the edge of cloth looked like. See, ordinarily, you can't see the edge, because it's folded over and hidden in a hem. And it never even occurred to me that I could just ask my mom to see some of her extensive collection of fabric, before she sewed it.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

How those performers and musicians got inside that little radio to deliver their music.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 AM

I was a weird little kid (over time, I became a much larger weird kid, and then a weird adult), and I distinctly recall wondering why so many other people never wondered anything- even after I came to realize that grownups didn't know everything, there never seemed to be any curiosity in most people at all, and I wondered why.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
We did this all the time as kids. If you dialed your own number and hung up the phone would ring.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:52 AM

I wondered why my mother would constantly drink and drive, even though it was clearly against the law. (And I'm talking about fountain cokes and the occasionaly bottled coke) I'd often admonish her and she'd just laugh.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Dog View Post
I wondered why my mother would constantly drink and drive, even though it was clearly against the law. (And I'm talking about fountain cokes and the occasionaly bottled coke) I'd often admonish her and she'd just laugh.
I remember thinking this, too. But I never had the gall to question her.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:51 AM

I used to wonder what "Famous cash" was. You know when there'd be a commercial offering you three rooms of carpet for $299 - 90 days famous cash.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 AM
Charter Member

I didn't understand why, when you turned the radio back on, it didn't continue the song that had been playing when it was last turned off.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:17 AM

How all those little people got into the tv set.

Why birds always pooped on the fence.

How did people know if they were a boy or a girl or did their parents just decide this one's a boy and this one's a girl.

How did my uncle get that quarter out of my ear?
Old 04-04-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight View Post
If you used the phone at my Dad's work to dial itself, due to their weird internal phone system, it actually would connect to itself, and you got an echo!
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM

Why most songs were about love.

Why the loser in a Presidential campaign didn't become Vice-President.

Why men can't have babies.

Whether, if you allow a plant to grow, it would become a tree.

Whether people who lived on islands weren't afraid they'd sink. After all, they're just floating on the water, right?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Pumpkin View Post
One of my earliest memories is of looking out the window, and watching the cars go by(proving that I've always been a tremendously exciting person). I guess 3-year-olds don't have the best depth perception(or understanding of how traffic lanes work), because I'd always wonder how, when two cars seemed to be headed right toward each other, it never resulted in any head-on collisions.
I don't remember wondering that when I was little, but I've started to get that more and more when I'm driving on the highway, but for traffic going my way, not opposite ways.

When two cars are sufficiently far from me and one of them changes lanes, it always looks like they're gonna crash into each other and sometimes I even move my foot to the brake just in case.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

I wondered how I would know how to spell bad words. I went to a Christian school and I knew they weren’t going to teach me.

I wondered what the Bingo religion was. I saw a lot of churches with a big Bingo sign, but never heard anything about it.

Why did Mom keep a chocolate bar in the bathroom and never eat it?
SPOILER:
It was in a box marked Ex-Lax.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Whenever my parents drove me past this place http://www.poconosrus.com/hideout-directions.htm I'd wonder at the foolishness of the crooks who had a huge sign saying "Hideout" in front of their hideout - surely they were bound to get caught.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM

According to TV commercials Mom and I should have been using feminine napkins at the dinner table. But in our house, girls and boys used the same kind. Were we missing out on something fancy?

Why my parents always slept with the bedroom door shut. Were they scared?

How the post office cashed in a stamp when it was still stuck to our letter?

Why school had to start when it was still dark outside?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:33 AM

...why adults still did nasty things to one another. Adults were the ones telling children not to do naughty things, so surely by the time they were adults, people had grown out of misbehaving?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Dog View Post

I told people that my dad was an alcoholic. Well, he drank beer. And beer has alcohol in it, right? So he must be an alcoholic. People who drink alcohol are alcoholics.

Another - I couldn't understand why Jerry Mathers, Tony Dow, Hugh Beaumont, and Barbara Billingsly all had different names besides Beaver, Wally, Mr Cleaver and Mrs. Cleaver. Also wondered why my mom never wore pearls while cleaning the house or how Beaver's dad came home wearing a suit. My dad worked construction and came home dirty and smelling pretty ripe. I couldn't figure out how Mr. Cleaver did the same and came home in a suit. I thought that all men worked in construction. Those guys working in stores and stuff just did that because they liked to. They all still must work in construction somewhere.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:41 AM

I wondered about drinking and driving, too.

I wondered why the Queen Elizabeth's husband was not called "king".

I wondered what the long versions of people's names were. Like, the long version of Jenny is (often) Jennifer and the long version of Katie is (often) Katherine. So what's the long version of Rachel's name or Mason's name or Heather's name?

I genuinely wondered if people perceived colors differently and how we would have any idea if they did. No amount of explanation on that one satisfied me.

I wondered about languages- how they were so hard to learn when I was pretty sure I was well on my way to learning Spanish. I thought it was letters that got translated, not words- so everything was spelled the same, but pronounced differently, and all you had to do was remember that, for example, J makes an H sound in Spanish.

eta: I also wondered why they advertised coke and pepsi on TV when coke and pepsi weren't new. I thought commercials were only for informing the public that something new had been invented.

Last edited by SurrenderDorothy; 04-04-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I wondered why the road people couldn't make up their minds. "Do Not Pass", followed shortly by "Pass With Care", then again with "Do Not Pass"...either you shouldn't pass, or you should!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen
I used to wonder what "Famous cash" was. You know when there'd be a commercial offering you three rooms of carpet for $299 - 90 days famous cash.
I could make it out as "same as cash", but the idea confused me. How do I pay for something with 90 days??
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recusant View Post
I was a weird little kid (over time, I became a much larger weird kid, and then a weird adult), and I distinctly recall wondering why so many other people never wondered anything- even after I came to realize that grownups didn't know everything, there never seemed to be any curiosity in most people at all, and I wondered why.
This one STILL puzzles me. Some people seem to have NO questions, whereas I'm nothing but questions.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy View Post
eta: I also wondered why they advertised coke and pepsi on TV when coke and pepsi weren't new. I thought commercials were only for informing the public that something new had been invented.
I wondered how TV channels advertised competing products, like Ford one minute and Chevy the next. Or especially political ads. Don't these channels or networks have any convictions? How can their support change so quickly?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
why my parents never got arrested for passing signs that said DO NOT PASS.
Years ago, my ex returned from a short trip and explained her treacherous journey. She normally took the interstate to this place, but this time she decided to take the scenic route. Along the way, she came upon a 'DO NOT PASS' sign. She said she nearly turned around, but the road looked okay, so she went on. She went real slow not knowing what was around each corner, but she made it to her destination. Turns out the road wasn't in bad shape at all. She didn't feel there was any need for the sign.

Never seeing a girl with a skirt ride a bicycle, I used to wonder why girls bikes had that low-angle bar on the frame. As someone who's landed their nuts on that top bar, it seemed to me that somehow boys bikes and girls bikes were mixed up and why didn't they figure out that mistake?

Last edited by Obeseus; 04-04-2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voguevixen View Post
Similarly, I wondered how programs could be proctoyoud. As in "Days of Our Lives has been proctoyoud by the following..."
Old 04-04-2013, 11:54 AM

I wondered about the "DO NOT PASS" signs as well. How are you supposed to get down the road if you can't pass the sign?

I'm showing my age here, but I also wondered why fallout shelters were in the basements of places. You can't fall out of a basement, why do you need to shelter from it?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Growing up, I never wondered about that, but there was (and still is) a place in my home county where the divided highway turns into a regular road, and there is a sign that states "highway ends 1000 ft.". But I didn't notice this, my dad had to point out the silliness to me since the road obviously didn't end.

Last edited by Ludovic; 04-04-2013 at 11:57 AM..
Old 04-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

and to hijack, in Melbourne, where I'm living now, there's a similar sign where the sidewalk is actually about to end which states "sidewalk ends 1034 feet." I would post it on oddlyspecific if I didn't have a feeling that that sort of photo is common.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obeseus View Post
Years ago, my ex returned from a short trip and explained her treacherous journey. She normally took the interstate to this place, but this time she decided to take the scenic route. Along the way, she came upon a 'DO NOT PASS' sign. She said she nearly turned around, but the road looked okay, so she went on. She went real slow not knowing what was around each corner, but she made it to her destination. Turns out the road wasn't in bad shape at all. She didn't feel there was any need for the sign.

Woah. In my defense, my reading skills came in before my common sense- I was four. Your poor ex.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM

I wondered if on TV whenever someone was killed if they used death row inmates for that part.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:05 PM

As a child, I was somewhat puzzled by how people could move 3,000 vehicles so fast just by pressing on an accelerator pedal. I also was perplexed by other thermo-mechanical processes and machinery. I had to work hard by comparison to make my light weight bycycle move along. After engineering school and a few years working in automotive related industries, I mostly understand it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurrenderDorothy
I genuinely wondered if people perceived colors differently and how we would have any idea if they did. No amount of explanation on that one satisfied me.
I was in my 20s before I realized that there existed such a variety of color blindness conditions

Last edited by Enlightening Meditation; 04-04-2013 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM

If you're three, you're short. If you're four, you're a little taller. If you're really old, like eight, you're really tall. If you're ancient, like 14, woah, you're freakin' sequoia.

Therefore, the older you were, the taller you were.

So where were all of the really really old people, like older than dad? I came to the only logical conclusion. At a certain age, people must be made to go live in some bizarre land of the giants.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
When I was a kid I wondered how airplanes got small when they were in the air and how it felt to the people inside when they shrunk along with the plane and got bigger again when they were on the ground.
My niece figured this out at a pretty young age. They don't get smaller, grandma and grandpa live in the sky.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenobi 65 View Post
I wondered why the road people couldn't make up their minds. "Do Not Pass", followed shortly by "Pass With Care", then again with "Do Not Pass"...either you shouldn't pass, or you should!
I thought that mean people had put up the "Do Not Pass" signs. Mean people who give orders.

The "Pass With Care" people though are quite nice. They are fine with you performing a pass. In fact they hope that you do it OK. They want you to be careful because they care about you.

Last edited by BubbaDog; 04-04-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 01:32 PM

I wondered how my grandmother, long before caller ID, could tell who was calling. When I asked her why she wasn't answering the phone, I thought she said "Because it isn't Irene."

They were on a party line. Their ring was one long followed by one short.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:35 PM

When I was really young I wondered why my stuffed animals' hair didn't grow back when I cut it off. I was so fucking retarded.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM

I wondered why I couldn't use the loo in one of those many buildings that had a sign saying "toilet." Whyyyy did we have to wait for a service station with a toilet?

There were lots of places "to let" back then.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:39 PM

From watching old TV shows and monster movies with my Dad, I used to think what a dreary time it must have been when my parents were growing up, because obviously color hadn't been invented yet.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM

Caution: Deaf Child
I always made sure my door was locked and went on high alert when we passed one of these signs. I think I assumed since they were born deaf and weren't old enough to understand why they were deaf this made them very angry and they lashed out at random people on the street.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

When I was 5 or 6 I was really worried about when "the long run" was going to be. I would hear people talk about "the long run", and to make it worse there was a poster in our school gym that said something like "Exercise is good for you in the long run". I thought there was going to be a big running race that everyone had to participate in.

I exercised like a motherfucker because I wanted to be able to make it in "the long run" even if I was only a little kid.

Also, I was sure that robots would replace people at every job, and that it was going to happen nearly instantly, like one day everyone would wake up and find out that robots were taking their jobs that week. I wondered what I would do all day and how I would make money as a grown up when the robots did everything.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Sandwich View Post
From watching old TV shows and monster movies with my Dad, I used to think what a dreary time it must have been when my parents were growing up, because obviously color hadn't been invented yet.
Calling Bill Waterson...

Last edited by Running with Scissors; 04-04-2013 at 02:58 PM..
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM

I always wondered why I could see Wonder Woman's invisible jet (specifically, from the Super Friends cartoon show). There was an obvious outline of it and everything!

Mr. smaje and I just bought the Super Friends DVD for l'il smaje, and I told him that -- he said he had thought the exact same thing when he was a kid!