Game of Thrones 3.02 "Dark Wings, Dark Words" 4/7/13 No book spoilers

3.01 Valar Dohaeris

These threads are only for the discussion of the tv show. We’ve got it working pretty smoothly now.

We left off with the Night Watch expedition marching back to the wall to warn everyone, and Jon Snow trying to make his way into Mance Rayder’s trust. Davos is in Stannis’ jail. Dany buys herself an army. Tyrion recovers from Tywin’s AWW SNAP SON. Robb start chases the Lannister armies looking for a fight.

Can’t wait.

I was given an HD TV for my birthday. Just got it hooked up Friday and watched GoT for the first time in HiDef. I think I understand why the show is so expensive to make. The detail is amazing. The set decorating and costumes probably cost more than the actors’ salaries.

Yay for GoT in HD! :smiley:

That certainly deserves a full series rewatch.

I have read all of the books up to now and this is easily the best screen adaptation of any high fantasy series I have ever seen.
The production quality is amazing and the casting has been superb.

And the Scottish lass they have playing the wildling woman is absolutely beautiful.
“You know nothing, Jon Snow!”

I’d call it low fantasy, but other than that, I agree completely. For all the changes they’ve made that I disagree with, they’ve made plenty of others that actually improved upon the series. I will have a lot of trouble picturing some of the characters as I pictured them before, because the actors have encapsulated them so perfectly.

Grandmother Tyrell did not disappoint.

Neither did Thoros of Myr.

Funny, Thoros wasn’t at all how I pictured him in my head.

Too bad the thrones is made out of cocks; he would have sat upon it much longer.

I can’t get over what a horrible bitch Cat is, whatever other good she might’ve done. The way she treated Jon Snow disgusted me, and her story tonight - how she thought she’d almost killed him with hatred and briefly was guilted into seeing how horrible she was - and she just went back to it anyway - it’s hard for any other positive traits to overcome that.

Did she treat him that horribly? I thought it was (mostly) silent loathing and ignoring him.

When he was about to leave for the wall, and he went in to say goodbye to the unconscious Bran - to see his possibly dying brother for possibly the last time, she screamed for him to get out of the room. There were other times when she’d give him the death stare or otherwise treat him badly - I forget the specifics other than that one scene though. But she went well beyond simply ignoring him.

For 30 seconds out of 17 years of his life. Yeah, she wasn’t good to him and at times was actively mean to him, but it’s not a large part of his life.

How in the world is having the person who is effectively (or should be) your mother being deliberately cruel and hateful to you not a big part of your life? We only saw a few minutes of Cat’s interactions with Jon, and she was a bitch consistently. She was probably a daily problem in his life.

We see those portions because they’re not the norm. It’s like watching poker on TV, every hand is a full house!

What reason do you have to assume that?

The show was trying to convey it to us as character development. They went way out of their way to show that during every Cat-Jon interaction we ever saw, she was a horribly hateful bitch. They doubled down tonight and even had her say that she thought herself the worst woman in the world because she wished him to die, and even after the revelation that she was doing wrong and her promise to do otherwise, she still treated him like shit.

There is no indication whatsoever that she was anything but completely hateful towards him at all times. We actually have no evidence for a time she treated him anything but horribly.

She’s said 5 words to Jon in the TV show. If that’s going out of her way to be a hateful bitch to him at every opportunity, then I guess she’s constantly been a hateful bitch to him for 17 years.

Cat said more than five words to Jon–most of them hateful. Every word & glance she gave him were grim. Now we heard her admit she’d been a total bitch to the young man–ever since he was a baby–just because he was the result of her husband’s encounter with another woman. Who remained mysterious & never seemed to be a threat to her…

Her attitude probably helped Jon decided to go to the Wall–since there was no place for him in the Stark household. (Although Eddard treated him with respect & the other kids with affection.)

Other notes: Glad to see how the Tyrell women run the family!

I think not liking a kid and not wanting him around are not the same as actively being a shit to him for his entire life.

I think “I want you to leave” are the only words she says to him. Meh. This tangent has gone on like 4 times too long already.

After two episodes this season I dont really know where they are going with the story.