Larger ladies, what do you wear on a summer holiday?

This is a question to the larger ladies on the board. Fat, plus size, cuddly, curvy, whatever you call yourself is fine with me!

I’m going to San Antonio at the end of August, and I’m pondering what to pack. I’m actually thinking about wearing dresses most of the time. I have a number of 50’s style frocks in polka dots and summer prints which I wear with a belt under the bust. They are sleeveless and I have a number of tie-front shrugs I can put on for coverage/warmth.

I am an extreme pear shape and even clothes cut for pears are still either too wide in the waist or too tight in the hips/upper thighs for me. So to find something like capri pants is impossible. And leggings are undergarments, in my world!

So larger ladies, let me know what you wore on your last summer holiday! Did it work for you? Were you comfy? Too hot/too cold/too loose/too tight?

One word about dresses: will your thighs chafe? If so, either pack Spanx or an anti-chafing stick.

I simply can’t wear dresses and skirts in warm weather.

Yep, Spanx and cream will be in the suitcase! :slight_smile:

I usually go for skirt and dresses. I bring at least one pair of bermudas, I do not wear shorts. And at the beach I always have a pareo (is that an English word?) or something to cover up when I’m walking around.

You will never catch me in leggings NEVER. I really don’t understand how they can be marketed to overweight women, and they are warm for summer.

I think skirts and dresses are best.

Hope that helps

Thanks jools, that does help. I wasn’t sure if I was being weird by wanting to wear dresses whilst others are in shorts/jeans.

I don’t know the word pareo and wonder if you meant sarong? I need to get one of those, actually. I’ve got this great tankini set - high waisted pants, a ‘swim bra’ for the HH’s and a tankini that goes over top. A sarong would finish that off nicely.

I don’t do skirts because they’re girly, ew. Also, skirts can get blown up by the wind, and I’d have to sit more lady-like. Screw that! I tend to wear capris in nice weather, no matter the occasion. I know you said those are out due to your shape, though. I also have some bermuda shorts, but those are exclusively beach-wear for me. In the same category as swimsuits. I will wear tank tops, though, because I feel more confident about exposing my arms than my legs.

I wear shorts. While I, similarly, can’t find a pair that fits my waist and my hips, I just get some with a lower rise and wear longer shirts. (Though I also distract with cleavage since I have faboo breasts.)

I never wear skirts or dresses. Chafe city (the gel does nothing for my and spanx are uncomfortable).

When I wear dresses in warmer weather, I wear Under Armour compression shorts with a longer inseam. They are made with moisture wicking material and I don’t worry about someone catching a glimpse of my undies if the wind blows. I get the largest size and they are surprisingly comfortable to wear, much more so than Spanx.

I’m a size 10-12 and busty - Skirts and dresses, no matter what!! Especially empire-waist, maxi, flowy ones - I feel pretty and cool and comfy. Plus, I can move and sit on the floor if necessary! I’m not into spanx except for a special dress/occasion. Shorts/capris can be restricting, more prone to chafing, and make me feel fat when they cut into my waist. I live in AZ and (warning) crotch sweat can be bad and noticeable in pants, so dresses are more forgiving and comfortable.

Your dresses and shrugs sound perfect! I travel often and am never uncomfortable in a dress. Better to be a bit overdressed in a dress or skirt!

What’s your usual dress size, Hockey Monkey? I found those shorts herebut they only seem to go to a UK size 14/16.

A deodorant stick will work for this as well.
And your dresses sound fine. I go with “Take whatever you’ll be comfortable in”. I’m on vacation next week, and I’m taking shorts, tshirts and a swimsuit. It’s what I’ll be comfortable in, so it’s what I’m going with.

Dresses with pettipants underneath. Cool, anti-chafe, decent.

Those are cute!
:slight_smile:

I… I… I must have the plain cotton ones. Why have I never ever seen these for sale anywhere when it’s so obvious that they’re a good thing?

I’m a Lane Bryant 18 in the butt. :slight_smile: I order XL or XXL. A sporting goods store should carry them. I order from Amazon now.

A pareo is a sarong, yes. My mother always uses them as her go-to “thing to put on over my bathsuit” to go from the beach/poolside to the “clothes or a reasonable simulation thereof must be worn” areas. She’s an apple with close thighs: when she wears skirts she uses tight shorts as pettipants (often, men’s long underwear shorts in summer-weight fabrics - according to the vendors at her local street market “men’s u-hu, it’s always women who buy them and not for their husbands”).

How long are you going for? I tend to like separate skirts/tops for travel, because if I pick the right ones, I can get many outfits by mixing and matching. But really, whatever you’re comfortable in, that’s the most important part. Layers are good, as even where it’s hot by day can still get cool by night.

I’m partial to wrap or faux wrap tops, as they do nice things to my ginormous rack. I always pack a couple of camisoles that coordinate - a wrap top is great for evening wear, but a cami underneath makes it modest enough for a church day trip, and camis take up almost no packing space. Then the camis can be worn alone for casual hanging around parts of the vacation.

Pack as many pairs of socks as you think you’ll need, then pack three more.

Pack as many pairs of shoes as you think you’ll need, then unpack half and leave them home.

Don’t forget to pack your DivaCup, or pads! Even regular periods have a way of playing “gotcha” on vacation.

Do NOT buy new shoes the day before your trip, no matter how comfy they feel in the store. Trust me. You want your oldest, most comfortable broken in pair, even if they’re not the prettiest. Blister-n-bled my way across Bali, I did. :frowning:

Blasphemy! Pack lots of shoes. If you are walking around a lot, you need AT LEAST two pairs of comfy shoes that you think won’t ever hurt your feet.

I usually bring more shoes than socks…

(Mind you, I have tiny feet and extra shoes don’t take any room at all.)

I lot of maxi skirts and cap sleeve tops. I used to be so self conscience of my arms and would never wear anything shorter than 3/4 length, but screw that. I want to be comfortable too, arms flab be damned! I also got over showing my legs in bathing suits and wear mine with no problem.

examples
http://madisonplus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/mp-city-style-mandy-maxi-skirt-01.jpg

http://www.purpledivaplus.com/images/multi%20print%20shirred%20waist%20tier%20maxi%20skirt%202.jpg
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/909811302_1/-font-b-Plus-b-font-font-b-Size-b-font-Stripe-Splicing-Chiffon-Summer-Fashion.jpg

Maxi skirts pack well and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. And having a few shrugs to wear in the cool of the evening or to a more formal setting is pretty handy too.

Two pairs is half as many as my mother just took to a one-week vacation, which weren’t as many as she’d originally tried to pack. She bought two more pairs there.

For one week, I pack a computer bag. She packs one of the largest-sized suitcases. Can’t imagine why.