What does kale taste like?

Is it similar to broccoli or is it bitter tasting? TIA

chicken

Hard to describe, but I’d say it’s something between spinach and romaine.

It tastes like concentrated vitamins. It’s not bitter, but it’s nothing like broccoli.

Disappointment.

Hate to point out the obvious, but there’s an extremely easy way to find out…

Really? I think it’s bitter. To me, it’s like a heavy, bitter lettuce, though not as bitter as radiccio. I like it, but I can’t pretend it’s not bitter.

To me it tastes like dirt and chlorophyll. I can see some interpreting the mineral taste as bitter, but it isn’t to me. Radicchio… Bleh. That’s definitely bitter.

I eat a bag of it every day. Raw, it is a little bitter. It is not bitter when it is sauteed. It is a little sweet. It tastes a little like broccoli when cooked but not a whole lot.

Little known fact: Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Brussels sprouts and savoy are different cultivars of the same species of plant (Brassica oleracea).

I like and eat swiss chard, kale, escarole, endive, bok choy, collards, turnip greens, etc. I use whichever the recipe suggests, but I’ll be damned if I can describe the taste of any particular green.

I’m not sure. We were growing it our garden, and the damn rabbits seemed to love it though.

It is bitter to me unless you massage the kale which does pretty dramatically soften the kale and reduce the bitterness. I tear the kale into small pieces and place in a bowl with some olive oil, lemon juice, a dash of salt/pepper and then massage the kale. After massaging the kale you can add a mashed avocado and lightly massage a second time to coat. It is pretty tasty prepared in this way.

Raw kale? Ugh, forget about it!

It’s somewhere between 9 and yellow.

For those of us long curious about the color of your bowel movements, this is a major clue!

Tastes like cabbage on steroids, to me. That weird, heavy, funky taste. It’s more cabbagey than cabbage. Cabbage I can tolerate in stews and coleslaw, but kale is a bit overpowering.

One of the few leafy greens I’ve tried and didn’t much care for. And I like bitter greens. (And LOVE LOVE spinach which IMO tastes nothing like kale.)

It tastes like strong greens, like collards or spinach (though more bitter.) I enjoy it when it’s done right. Whole Foods here has a fantastic kale & pinenut salad in their deli case.

This should be in CS. Try Portuguese Kale Soup sometime, the kale is quite delicious there. Once when I didn’t have the spinach I thought I did I used chopped kale to make Oysters Florentine. It tasted a little different, but was delicious anyway.

Strong, bad, and with a bit of bitter.

Broccoli is bitter tasting.
Kale is more so. It tastes like green.

It’s vaguely kale-y.