Favorite 1970s Southern Rock Band

Southern Rock - A subgenre of rock music developed in the Southern United States from rock and roll, country music, and blues and is focused generally on electric guitar and vocals.

What Southern Rock band from the 70s do you like best?

Based on the number of their songs that I like, I’m going with the Allman Brothers.

Allman Brothers is the only real option for me.

I’m sorry, but the correct answer is “Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers”.

Skynyrd for me. My i-pod pronounces it sky nerd. Makes me feel old.

Allman Brothers.

Least favorite is definitely 38 Special; they always struck me as the less-talented version of Lynryd Skynryd.

38 Special is a less-talented version of a Lynyrd Skynyrd cover band.

For me, it was a toss-up between The Allman Brothers and The Outlaws. The Outlaws did better rock songs, but the Allman Brothers were going well beyond simple rock songs. Plus, it’s hard to vote against Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, and Berry Oakley.

Little Feat

Graduated from high school in 1980, so I’ll say all of them.

(Got the Pioneer Supertuner with the Eight-Track and Jensen speakers wailing out loud… )

BUT WAIT… no love for Blackfoot? “Highway Song”, biatches… sing it ! :slight_smile:

All .38 Special songs I heard pretty much sounded the same to me.

'81 here, but still concur. Hard choice, but I picked LS. I do miss Marshall Tucker, though.

I have every song from all of the artists listed on my ipod, so I’m GTG whenever the redneck bug bites.

Jensen Triax speakers! FTW!

Didn’t need a poll. The second I read the OP the answer of “The Allman Brothers” was inevitable. Even though Molly Hatchet did my theme song.

I have to go off the list with Canned Heat. I know they started in the 60s, but they were still very active throughout the 70s as well.

I went through a Southern Rock phase, though the only ones I ever got a chance to see from your list live were Molly Hatchet and Black Oak Arkansas (I hitchhiked halfway across the state with some friends to see them play a festival with James Gang, Brownsville Station, and Quicksilver Messenger Service. God I had so much fun. Great music, great friends, sleeping on the town square, people selling $15.00 lids and $1.00 hits of LSD at the gate. The only downside was I got the worst sunburn I’ve ever had in my life. Tip for summer festivals: Wear a hat and suntan lotion!)

“Jessica” alone puts The Allman Brothers way up at the top, based on the provided list.

For sheer number of hits, I go with “Other”: Creedence Clearwater Revival. No, they weren’t from the south, but who knew? They billed themselves as a Southern Rock band, and being obsessed with them opened my ears up to lots of music that came after.

Other bands I listened to that I might have considered “Southern Music” even if some of them weren’t, were Head East*, REO Speedwagon* (both of which, I’m just finding out now, through Wikipedia, are from Illinois), Little Feat, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Poco*, Pure Prairie League, and, duh, of course, ZZ Top*.

• those are ones I saw live

Edit to add, I have no idea if all of those I mentioned were from the 70’s. I didn’t even check, sorry.

Very. Underrated.

I don’t know why these guys get zero play on classic rock radio. I first heard them on the mysterious non-stop commercial free http://www.kcdx.com/

Not by anybody with taste they aren’t.

Waiting for Columbus got plain worn out quite a few times around my house.

Allman Brothers by far, until Duane’s death. Little Feat is a strong second – until Lowell George’s death.

Little Feat. None of the other bands come even close.

Waiting for Columbus and The Last Record Album got played to shreds in our house.

Never thought of them as Southern Rock, but if they were listed as an option, I would’ve chosen them.