Men/boys who wear underwear with swim trunks. WTF?

This has bugged me for years. Every time I go to a water park or large public pool there are a ton of males running around wearing underwear beneath their swim trunks. I don’t get it. How is that possibly comfortable to have a waterlogged pair of cotton underwear in your drawers.

This was pretty much unheard of when I was growing up (80’s/90’s) but I see it everywhere now. Predominately black guys/boys, but definitely not limited to them as I see a fair number of white males doing the same thing.

WTF is up with this? Why do it? Do you do it? If so why?

Also, while we’re at it whats with all the males running around in swim shirts? Mostly boys but some grown men doing the same thing. Used to be mostly a black thing but lots of pastey white boys wear them now too. Also seems like it used to be mostly fat kids but has spread to all kids and alot of adult males of all races.

Maybe they’re feeling self-conscious. I’d be self-conscious too if someone was looking at my underwear!

I wouldn’t wear underwear, but maybe a jockstrap. Support afforded by swimsuits varies widely. Also, you may be seeing people who don’t get a lot of opportunities to wear a swimsuit adn don’t realize you don’t wear your undies underneath. Swimshirt might be a fashion picked up from surfers.

Briefs under swim trunks: They’re not comfortable stripping naked in the locker room.

Briefs over swim trunks: They’re Batman.

Swim shirts: They don’t want to get sunburned.

why, exactly, does it bother you? why can’t you just go about your business? people like you are why I haven’t gone swimming since I was 15.

It never occurred to me not to; shorts are something you put over underwear, not wear by themselves. Don’t want to flash anyone if you sit down outside of the pool or whatever.

My most recent swimsuit I had to wear underwear. The suit was too loose to hold my junk up, and with the bottom of the shorts preventing a proper hang I’d end up pointing outwards. That was a look that doesn’t work on any guy so I wore underwear to give me the support I needed to keep things in place. My current swimsuit doesn’t have the same problem so I’m sans underwear again. With the right people and the right amount of alcohol I’m sans suit sometimes too, but that’s a different thread.

Increasing cultural levels of shyness, self-consciousness and discomfort with the human body.

Underwear keeps your junk contained better than swim trunks. Less chance for certain parts of the male anatomy to be poking out at noticeable angles.

Swim shirts hide your flabby, white torso.

It’ll be male burqas next, if the trend continues.

Sometimes when you first exit the water, wet swimsuits are just a little too clingy and leave little to the imagination.

I have honestly never seen this, and I spend a decent amount of time in the pool. Weird. How loose are your swim shorts that you might flash someone and feel the need to wear underwear underneath? Also, most quality swim shorts are lined, so no worries about leaving too little to the imagination.

All the men’s swim trunks I’ve seen have had the little mesh panties inside.

Maybe the hip kids are wearing undies as a carryover of the sagging pants style.

This is why I wear a Speedo, but that’s also a whole 'nother discussion.

I don’t understand why people do something differently than I do!!!

That’s my guess. OP, what part of the country are you in?

There are quite a few brands and models out there which do not have that, in point of fact.

Boardshorts often have this annoying trait of not having the mesh panty in front where the laces are. Even if there’s velcro, it comes undone when you take a big dive. I’ve taken it into account to avoid those board shorts but it’s uncommon. Some guys just like the design and to keep their junk/pubes from poking through they wear underwear.

Jon Hamm agrees! Say no to underwear!

My penis is so dangerous, it needs multiple garments to keep it from harming fair maidens as I saunter by.

I don’t have swim trunks, on the occasions when I swim (maybe once a year on average), I wear compression underwear over regular medium length shorts.

I’ve seen this all over the country. I’m military and have seen this everywhere I’ve been from LA to Salt Lake to DC to Orlando this weekend.

Those that say they need the support confuse me. When your briefs are soaked they aren’t supporting anything. And when you are actually in the water what are you needing support for? The bits float.

I guess the idea of wearing cotton underwear in the pool makes about as my children sense as wearing jeans in the pool and it feels about the same. (Yes I’ve had soaked briefs and shorts on before so I know)