print directory question

I am running windows 7 and I would like to know if there is a way to print the contents of a directory.

The keyboard still has a print screen button, but not sure what that actually does any more.

Declan

the Print Screen button sends a picture of the screen to the clipboard. Then you can go into your word processor, paste the picture, and print it.

Thanks Keeve, i will try that now.

Declan

Or open a DOS box (start - type CMD)
In the DOS command box type CD <name of directory>. i.e.
CD C:\USERS\myname\DOCUMENTS
you can copy this from the top box in windows explorer… then type
DIR
To create a copy of what your command outputs, type for example
DIR > C:\DIRLIST.TXT
Then go to C:. and click on the DIRLIST file, and there’s your directory in text.

DIR has lots of options. Use /? to see them all.
For example, DIR /W gives a list of only filenames, no dates etc.

You can do really useful things with the DOS commands and the “>” pipe to file command.

That did exactly what I wanted, just had to run cmd as admin

Declan

As “Keve” said the Print Screen button sends a picture of the screen to the clipboard you can then paste it into Paint or Word or any graphic program.

Win7 also has a “Snipping Tool” (under accessories) which is useful for capturing part of the screen.

http://www.infonautics.ch/directorylistprint/index.htm Has an easy to use free version of a directory printer that gives many options and various outputs including notepad and Word.

Another method (Windows Vista and later versions):

• highlight the files in any window
  • shift-right-click
  • select Copy as Path
  • paste file list into any document

This does give you the entire path, though, not just the file/folder name.

Thank you for all your replies.

Declan

open powershell

Get-ChildItem <directory path> | Out-Printer

Just for completeness, If you hold down <Alt> and press PrintScreen, it sends a picture of only the current window to the clipboard.

Son of a GUN! I asked a similar question here a few days ago, and didn’t get this answer. Exactly what I wanted! Thanks!