was Beethoven actually a black man

there is a theory out there that beethoven might of been a black man/ or at least african ancestry

from his father’s side he was half-german, half-flemish… we don’t know any info on his mother’ ethnicity, but a theory she was a moor
beethoven was actually called a moor and “swarthy or ruddy” complexion

im not saying that he was full black or anything, but is their a possibility he was half-african?

That theory is certainly “out there”. Can you provide any cites for this speculation?

that he is half flemish, which was controlled by the moors for 200 years

His mother-Maria Magdalena Keverich Beethoven.

Flanders was controlled by the Moors for 200 years? Do you know where Flanders is? (Hint: Flanders - Wikipedia)

The Straight Dope: Was Ludwig van Beethoven of African ancestry?

From the linked column:

That the Moors conquered Spain, and later Hapsburg Spain inherited the Netherlands is true, but that doesn’t mean the Moors ruled Flanders. The Moors never controlled Flanders, that’s as ridiculous as saying that the Iroquois defeated the Nazis because the Iroquois lived in New York, which is part of the United States, and the United States fought Germany in WWII.

She was a Moop. Common mistake.

Okay, we’ll give you Beethoven. But we’re taking Chuck Berry, Ray Charles, and a rapper to be named later.

Konichiwa, bitches.

Yeep. She is definitely not more-ish.

This was mentioned in a Peanuts strip years ago.

Besides, while Beethoven was Flemish, his mother wasn’t. His mother was a Rheinlander, the daughter of the chief cook to the Archbishop of Trier.

From the article:

The rumours started quickly :eek:

It seems to me, the “dark complection” description that starts a lot of these stories means anything less than fluorescent skin.

OP, you haven’t been reading the collected works of this fellow, have you?

If so, I urge you to run away. Quickly.

Not from here; from him.

was Beethoven actually a black man

that’s just jive talk.

you are looking at old dirty paintings.

I thought we had already established that blue blood is black blood, hadn’t we? :slight_smile: