Alex Trebek...

… went way out his way to repeatedly pronounce “sophomore” as *Sof - A - more * tonight, but pronounced “waiting” as wading. Sorry, I love Jeopardy but AT is a pronunciation dick head and I got a little snicker out of this.

Don’t correct him - it sickens him.

He’s Canuckian - what do you expect?

If he didn’t like how he pronounced that they would have rerecorded the words. He does that on some of the shows I was at.

Isn’t that the correct pronunciation?

In Canada and the US, we tend to pronounce the “T” as a “D” sound in the middle of most words.

Do you pronounce the “T” sound in spaghetti, or butter, or jitter?

Sophomore, on the other hand, does in fact have three syllables. Would you be upset if Alex pronounced cummerbund the way it’s supposed to be pronounced instead of “cumberbun”?

He probably pronounces foyer and Favre correctly too.

Johnny Gilbert pronounces it the same way, and they’ve both been doing it that way for just about forever. We always chuckle over the pronunciation of that world during the Teen and College Tournaments.

I am waiting for him to say project (prO-ject), eh?

Sophomore actually has three syllables, so it’s incorrect to pronounce it with two. The pronunciation of “waiting” as “wading” is an alveolar flap. That’s a permissible (IMHO) dialectical variation.

Not according to my dictionary. In fact it gives the two syllable pronunciation first and the three syllable version as “also”. Regardless, that’s not my point. Either way you pronounce it the accent is on the fist syllable, not the O. If this was some average game show host it wouldn’t have blipped my radar but Alex is constantly correcting the contestants pronunciation. I have a feeling he pronounces that way to draw attention to the fact he knows it can be pronounced with three syllables.

Get even. Refer to him as George, and pronounce it “gee-or-gee.”

“That’s not how your mother pronounces it, Trebek!”

How would he pronounce Worcestershire?

“At least, not last night!”

I like Trebek, but there are times when he can be… Oooops! I’ll take Potpourri for 100 Alex.

I had no idea Jeopardy used to be such a low money show. Nowadays, Al would get $1000 just for making it on the show. (I’m not sure if you still get that if you go negative, but Al clearly stayed at 0.)