The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM

Any cites proving Superman isn't jewish?

Supposedly, back in WWII, Hitler called Superman a jew. While this is an obvious load of BS can anybody give me a cite (from before Hitler's comment, obviously) proving Superman is NOT Jewish?
Advertisements  
Old 08-01-2014, 02:24 PM

Would it be hard to perform a circumcision on the man of steel?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Who says he wasn't? We know at least that he identified as "strictly non-Aryan."
Old 08-01-2014, 02:35 PM

Well his creators were both Jewish.

Last edited by DrCube; 08-01-2014 at 02:36 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 02:37 PM

He'd have to be a convert, because he's definitely not a ben Avraham.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Anybody raised by Ma and Pa Kent in Smallville USA is not Jewish.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
Depends - If he had his bris before leaving Krypton. Jor-El may have been a 'Moh-El'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
He'd have to be a convert, because he's definitely not a ben Avraham.
How do we know Krypton isn't one of the Lost Tribes?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Anybody raised by Ma and Pa Kent in Smallville USA is not Jewish.
Dunno about that. The Kent family name was taken from actor Kent Taylor, whose birth name was Louis Weiss.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawoot View Post
How do we know Krypton isn't one of the Lost Tribes?
Makes sense. So are the Vulcans.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:51 PM

Superman would be a Raoist most likely. http://superman.wikia.com/wiki/Raoism
Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
That was my first thought, but will kryptonite take an edge?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

As a person from another planet, in an age where the human race can't feasibly travel the stars, it's a reasonably safe assumption that he is not ethnically Jewish at any rate.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:01 PM

As was pointed out upthread, his creators are Jewish, and they very deliberately included a lot of Messianic prophecy and imagery into the character. Hell, his origin story is basically a copy/paste of Moses's. I'd say that if Hitler called him a Jew in the comics, he'd clearly be incorrect, as it's a given that he's Kryptonian in the comics. If he said that historically, I think that would actually be reasonably accurate; he's pretty much the embodiment, or at least his creator's perspective of, Jewish ideals.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
As a person from another planet, in an age where the human race can't feasibly travel the stars, it's a reasonably safe assumption that he is not ethnically Jewish at any rate.
You think the ancient astronauts that build the pyramids came here on a bus?
They call them "Ancient Astronauts", not "Ancient Commuters".
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM

As a countercite, I offer a scene in the classic Superman II. While visiting Niagara Falls with Lois Lane, Clark sees a boy fall over a railing to his doom. Superman rescues the boy in front of a crowd of cheering onlookers. Amongst the cheers, you can hear a lady clearly say, "Of COURSE he's Jewish!"

We had this movie on video tape when I was young. We watched it FAR too often. I can quote more of it than is healthy.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Wait - it isn't accepted that Superman IS Jewish? Dude named Kal-El, a Hebrew name, abandoned like Moses, but ultimately the hope of his people?

I thought that was just a given at this point. His story is a two-dimensional, fabulist rendering of an immigrant's story to America.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:30 PM

He's a Methodist.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Pepperwinkle View Post
He's a Methodist.
Yeah, that article gets it right. No matter how Jewish Siegel and Shuster were, no matter how many hints and allusions they dropped, no matter that he was a symbol of the immigrant and assimilation, the fact was that no comics character in the 1930s could be introduced as Jewish. Especially one who was soon made into a symbol of American values. Ma and Pa Kent probably still believed that Jews had horns in 1938, just like all their neighbors in Smallville.

Superman is not Jewish. He's American. And this is a Christian country. Still.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
And this is a Christian country.
Nope, separation of Church and State.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
You think the ancient astronauts that build the pyramids came here on a bus?
They call them "Ancient Astronauts", not "Ancient Commuters".
So Superman is ethnic Egyptian?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that article gets it right. No matter how Jewish Siegel and Shuster were, no matter how many hints and allusions they dropped, no matter that he was a symbol of the immigrant and assimilation, the fact was that no comics character in the 1930s could be introduced as Jewish. Especially one who was soon made into a symbol of American values. Ma and Pa Kent probably still believed that Jews had horns in 1938, just like all their neighbors in Smallville.

Superman is not Jewish. He's American. And this is a Christian country. Still.
Riiiight, all those dang evangelical Christians in Middle America hate Jews.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...ts-not-so-much

Actually, it's just the opposiite. America's Evangelical Christians LOVE Jews- but it's a hopelessly unrequited love. American Jews loathe evangelical Christians.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Riiiight, all those dang evangelical Christians in Middle America hate Jews.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/...ts-not-so-much

Actually, it's just the opposiite. America's Evangelical Christians LOVE Jews- but it's a hopelessly unrequited love. American Jews loathe evangelical Christians.
They love them now, but I think that is a relatively recent phenomenon, probably tied to the creation Israel making end-times prophecy a better bet.

Of course, no reason to think the Kent's were evangelicals, either. Probably some form of main line Protestant (someone mentioned Methodist up a ways).
Old 08-01-2014, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Rat View Post
So Superman is ethnic Egyptian?
No, just that space guys have been making regular stops here for some time.
I saw it on the History Channel.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is so much wrong in these mere three sentences that a long-running comic book series would be needed to cover it all.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:45 PM
IMHOtep the Justifed

I think it's pretty clear when the guy leaps to the rescue shouting, "Up, up and oy vey!"
Old 08-01-2014, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is so much wrong in these mere three sentences that a long-running comic book series would be needed to cover it all.
Evangelicals "love Jews" because it is said in the last days Jews will return to Jerusalem.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Makes sense. So are the Vulcans.
The Vulcan "live long and prosper" hand-gesture was, in point of fact, Jewish. Or at least, inspired by a Jewish ritual gesture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_salute
Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 PM

There have been numerous stories in which Superman (or Superboy) celebrates Christmas. None about Hanukkah that I can recall.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 PM

This probably has nothing to do with the question, but I heard somebody like Terry Gross (Fresh Air) make a thing about pronouncing several of the superheroes' names as if they were Jewish by having the -man part of their name be unstressed in much the same fashion as other Jewish names are, like

Silverman
Friedman
Seligman
Zimmerman

and so on.

SUPER-mun
BAT-mun
AQUA-mun
SPIDER-mun

and so on.

Hell, it convinced me!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Evangelicals "love Jews" because it is said in the last days Jews will return to Jerusalem.
Suuure, go right on believing that.

Jews should embrace the liberal Protestants who loathe them, and reject the evangelicals who love them, because the people who love them are doing so for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by astorian; 08-01-2014 at 05:27 PM..
Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM

DC universe canon ala Wiki:

Quote:
DC's superhero comics have always drawn upon Judeo-Christian beliefs for plot elements — the first appearance of "The Voice" was in the 1940 origin of the Spectre — but they have traditionally used surrogate concepts and names rather than refer to the Judeo-Christian deity directly. The comics are published under the Comics Code, a set of ethical guidelines drawn up in the 1950s in reaction to anti-comic book hysteria. The Code does not explicitly refer to God, but does say that "ridicule or attack on any religious or racial group is never permissible."[2] Later revisions of the Code are phrased in terms of respecting religious beliefs and religious institutions, which may account for the comics' hesitancy when dealing with God.

The lack of a central doctrine means that multiple "aspects" of God have been introduced by different writers. Significant examples of God surrogates include:

The Voice – The disembodied "Voice of the Presence" that spoke to and empowered Jim Corrigan as the Spectre in More Fun Comics #52. This is the most "active" version of God seen in the comic books. At one point, it even answers the Spectre's prayers by resurrecting the murdered Justice Society of America.[3] When the Voice uttered the first word, it created "The Word", and it was already being tracked by Destiny in his book.
The Hand – An image of a hand appearing out of a nebula has been referenced numerous times in different DC Comics as a metaphor for the creator or the mystery that exists at the moment of universal creation. It was first seen in Green Lantern vol. 2, #40. In Crisis on Infinite Earths #10, the Hand was turned into a predestination paradox as the hand of the villainous Anti-Monitor, who tried to rearrange all existence at its starting point, but failed.
The Source – The universal spirit from Jack Kirby's Fourth World cosmology.
The Presence – The unseen Judeo-Christian deity from Grant Morrison's fictional angel mythology.
Wally – A being claiming to a manifestation of God who appears in the form of a young boy wearing a baseball hat. He first appears in Peter David's Linda Danvers/Supergirl series. A similar character later appears in the same author's Fallen Angel series.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Jews should embrace the liberal Protestants who loathe them, and reject the evangelicals who love them, because the people who love them are doing so for the wrong reasons.
Liberal Protestants loathe Jews? Really? And wanting Israel to beat those Muslim furriners says nothing at all about evangelicals loving American Jews.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM

Proof would have to be strong evidence that at least one rabbi considered Superman Jewish based on some reasonable measure such as being Bar Mitzvahed, or proof that his mother Lara was Jewish.

Or we could go the self identification route where we just need him saying that he is Jewish.

If he did have a religious preference it would probably be the religion that Ma and Pa Kent raised him in. More than likely an American Protestant religion. However they seem like the type that were much more concerned about the message than the religious ritual, so I think he may not have any particular personal affiliation.

There is also a school of thought that Superman is Jesus. If so then it's pretty well accepted that he is Jewish.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:09 PM

From the experts on these subjects: he's a Borderline Jew.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:34 PM

You can make all the arguments you want about Superman not being Jewish, but the Kandorians definitely are, and if they are, then it stands to reason that the Kryptonians were. Therefore, Superman must be, by birth, if not the way he was raised (As if that "Kal-el" and "Jor-el" schtick isn't enough. And don't tell me how it was originally "Jor-l" without the "e". Kryptonians clearly used Hebrew diacritical marks)

My proof? This comic book, which mightily confused me in my youth: Superman #149 from 1961. An "imaginary story" where Lex Luthor murders Superman, then gets put on trial.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources...h-of-superman/

Scroll down to his sentencing by the Kandorians:

Quote:
Judge: We Kandorians don't make deals with murderers! -- Executioner, send this wretch into the Phantom Zone immediately! He is the greatest villain since Adolph Eichmann!

(Me, as a kid: Adolph WHO?)

Would anyone but a Jewish court make the comparison to The Architect of the Holocaust? ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Eichmann )

Please note: Eichmann famously sat in a booth made of bulletproof glass during the trial, to protect him against assassination attempts*. It's not clear from the excerpt on the first link above, but Lex Luthor was in a glass booth at his Kandorian trial. You can see the "glass lines" in the first panel on the page of his sentencing.

Extra note: I hadn't realized it, but Jerry Siegel himself wrote the script.

You could say it's the influence of their creator, but Kryptonians sure seem to be Jewish.

*This also inspired the play by Robert Shaw**, The Man in the Glass Booth, although that wasn't about Eichmann.

**Yes, THAT Robert Shaw. He wrote novels and plays, besides being a kick-ass actor who almost killed James Bond.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:40 PM

I should add that I'm actually grateful to that comic. It made me aware of Eichmann, so I paid attention when I encountered his name again. Kinda like the way the Twilight Zone made me aware of Adolf Hitler.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

If having Jewish writers makes you Jewish then who isn't?
Old 08-01-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldar View Post
This probably has nothing to do with the question, but I heard somebody like Terry Gross (Fresh Air) make a thing about pronouncing several of the superheroes' names as if they were Jewish by having the -man part of their name be unstressed in much the same fashion as other Jewish names are, like

Silverman
Friedman
Seligman
Zimmerman

and so on.

SUPER-mun
BAT-mun
AQUA-mun
SPIDER-mun

and so on.

Hell, it convinced me!
I found it! Check out http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...30&m=155278506

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/18/155278...w-superman-bio
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Love thine enemies? Sounds kind of...goyish.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Depends - If he had his bris before leaving Krypton. Jor-El may have been a 'Moh-El'.
Rim shot!

Seriously, that's one of the worst groaners I've heard this week. Well done.!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:35 AM

There was a scene in "Man of Steel" in which he was talking to his Christian pastor.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:23 AM

Quote:
If that's not deserving of a slow clap, I'm not sure what is... well played.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If having Jewish writers makes you Jewish then who isn't?
Among comic book superheroes? Not too many. I was able to come up with Captain Marvel, the Flash, and Wonder Woman.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers View Post
There have been numerous stories in which Superman (or Superboy) celebrates Christmas. None about Hanukkah that I can recall.
He was celebrating Hanukkah, but with his Super speed he can celebrate it all in one night.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Among comic book superheroes? Not too many. I was able to come up with Captain Marvel, the Flash, and Wonder Woman.
American Flagg!, who was also Jewish in the continuity.

Nothing about Superman was intended to be Jewish. In 30s American, Jews were not common outside of the big cities; most Americans never knew anyone. There was also still plenty of antisemitism. A popular art form like comics would avoid any Jewish characters (like they'd avoid Black characters) for fear it would hurt sales.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:47 AM

Only the Luthor on Trial story was from the 1960s, when it was getting more liberal. And Eichmann was in the news.

If you want a Jewish superhero, there's always the Dynamic Duo of Batmitzvah and Robinowitz, created for a satiric magazine in the 1960s. I can't find a single reference to them on the internet.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:04 AM

In response to the OP, there's always this SAturday Night Live sketch about Kevin O'Donnell's question "What if Superman were a Nazi?":

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78jwhatif.phtml
Old 08-03-2014, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
If you want a Jewish superhero, there's always the Dynamic Duo of Batmitzvah and Robinowitz, created for a satiric magazine in the 1960s. I can't find a single reference to them on the internet.
Never heard of 'em, but I remember Batmensch and Rubin.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Are you saying not ever, not in 75 years?
Old 08-03-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
In response to the OP, there's always this SAturday Night Live sketch about Kevin O'Donnell's question "What if Superman were a Nazi?":

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/78/78jwhatif.phtml
Kevin O'Donnell or Michael O'Donoghue?