Help me break 2:00 in a half marathon.

Argh. I’ve been running on and off for the past eight years. My fitness has gone up and down as well, with my weight fluctuating by about 50 pounds over that time. I just ran my fifth half marathon today,(yay!), but was a bit disappointed to learn my time was 2:11. My best time was when I was 23, when I ran a 2:06 half-marathon. My worst time was about 2:30. I am 32 right now.

I felt very ready for this run. I have been eating better than ever (lots of green smoothies), and I trained better than I ever have for a run. In my training I did two 17km runs. I’ve been doing Yoga for two months as well. My weight is about 169 (I was at least 10 pounds heavier during my best run).

So I was disappointed today. I thought I had beaten my best time and I was 5 minutes away from it. I really feel I have to work a lot harder to be fit and athletic than most people (I’ve always struggled with weight and my energy levels). Anyone have any advice for me? I’m likely going to run another race in 12 weeks…I have time to train and beat my old time. Help me train better! What can I do?

What’s your weekly (?) long run?
Do you do any tempo runs?
What pace are you running for your longer runs?
More in a few minutes.

Tempo run= A pace that’s right at your lactate threshold. This is a pace that you can race at for one hour.

Steady state=Ideally, 10-20 sec./mile slower than tempo. Most of your longer runs should be at this pace. Your weekly long run will be slower still.

This calculator uses recent races to calculate training paces.

Your paces
Tempo=9:16-9:35
Steady-state=9:39-10:04
Long run=10:22-11:36

You don’t need to do interval training in general as you won’t be going anaerobic during the race.

However, some long intervals ( 3-4x1200m-2000m) at slightly faster than tempo pace can improve efficiency.

In addition to what Running Coach says, I would recommend looking at mixing up your week-day (shorter) runs. I found when I threw in some hills, intervals, and tempo runs, as well as maybe a track workout (if you have access to a track), my times in the half dropped. I made sure my weekend long run was the quality run of the week, and would make sure I was “on” for that long run.

Your race-day weight is only one factor - make sure you are eating light, frequent meals in the days leading up to a race - and take on plenty of water. If you get to race day dehydrated, you will struggle. Also, I recommend plenty of rest as well during your training.

One other bit of advice - I do not have a fancy GPS to help track my pace during an event, so I printed off one of those wrist-bands with my target times at each mile, so I could keep track of my pace better. I would recommend you have a way to keep track of your pace during the event, so you wont be disappointed at the end.

Good luck!!

Take no notice of this, since I know nothing about training for a half or running in general. In fact, I hate running. However, I agreed to do a 10k for charity and to pepare for the reasonably flat course, I picked a horribly hilly training run. Lung and heart bursting hills, essentially I wanted the 10k to feel easy in comparison. I did the 5 miles killer hill run 4 times a week for 3 weeks, then managed the 10k in under 50 minutes. That was good for me.
I did a 15km run (I was getting fat) not long after in 82 mins, so I think it really helped (me). I’m 5’7", 175lbs and not built to run.

What are you listening to during the run? My time dropped significantly when I started listening to military cadence, because I subconsciously kept speeding up/slowing down when I listened to music, even a rockin’ head-bangin’ soundtrack. You want something that’s a consistent ground-eating pace to keep you in step.

No [del]capes[/del] music! I’ll admit, I’m a crotchety old school type (with a heart rate monitor and GPS watch :wink: ).

Many races don’t allow headphones for safety reasons.
I don’t like music for the same reason bobkitty does.
If your desired pace differs from the beat, you wind up running too slow or too fast. The latter is deadly in a race where you’re (hopefully) pushing redline.

And Andy, hills are an excellent idea. I prefered to run hill repeats rather than a severely hilly course as I find (for me) it degrades my ability to maintain an even pace.

A moderately rolling course with a few steep climbs is ideal for general purpose. If the race will be on severe hills, then training on same is better.

Race pacing will be the key for you, if you want to hit a specific time. From the start stick to a 8.30 min/mile pace, or a 9 min/mile pace, whatever is most comfortable for you, even if it seems slow compared to others around you. The worst loss of time usually occurs when you start too fast and blow up near the end. Master this steady pace and train at this on long runs, and intersperse with shorter runs at a quicker pace. If you don’t already, use a free GPS app (runkeeper / strava etc…) to keep track of your training and help you compare how you’re progressing and your overall speeds etc. And, good luck!

I train with headphones quite often. I rarely if ever use them in races; the only exception was the 50K I did where I was running alone for large stretches of time.

I use music almost always in training and in events. While many events “discourage” use of headphones/music, they don’t actively ban it (most, not all). I do not, however, let it dictate my pace - I just like having it there, since most of my runs are solo.

Mix in speed training. Seriously. It was not until I followed an expert’s training program that I made a quantum leap in my times. I took on faith the theory that said different types and levels of training will prepare you for all the “stuff” you’ll feel during a race. I ran my first half at 2 hours and around 25 minutes. Later, my PR was 01:52:59. Not exactly world-record pace, but a fantastic time for a big oaf like me, and worlds better than where I started. Previously, every training run I did was the same, except for distance: as fast as I could run and still be certain I’d get done the distance I wanted. Some days I’d congratulate myself on a quick pace, but it was all pretty random and dumb luck what pace I’d run.

“How in the world will running intervals that include (for example) quarter-mile splits at a 7.5-minute mile pace help me run 13.1 miles at just under 9-minute miles? Why do I have to run hills when my course will be flat? What the @#$% is a Fartlek?” and other similar thoughts were my first reaction. “Running long helps you run fast; running fast helps you run long; all these will combine to put you on the starting line in the best possible shape to run your best race, grasshopper” was the answer (well, except for the “grasshopper” part). Damned if they weren’t right.

Lots of great advice in this thread so I won’t add anything. However, anecdotally, my pace significantly improved once I added speed work and hills to my routine. Even one day a week very quickly made a difference in my pace.

Ok! So I need to do tempo / paced runs and hill work. I will work on incorporating those in. As well I do run to music. It really helps me, and I find on race day the people running with me are a good substitute for music. So maybe I will run with music and with a GPS app while training and then turn them off for the actual race.

Will leg squats and other body weight strength exercises help? Which ones? I’d like to not get a gym membership. Thanks!

Hill running is the best strength training for your legs in a distance running context.
Specificity of training.
Basically, you race how you train.

I would only caution that your “conditioning” is mental as well as physical. If you are training with music, or with constant feedback from a GPS unit, I would recommend your race plan include those things as well. Anything you do differently on race day could end up a compromise.

Another thing, find an energy food (gels) that work for you when you start climbing up there in miles on your long run. Training is the time to find out what works and what doesn’t, and when to take. On race day use what you and your body can trust - don’t try something new on race day.

You are going to be great - now go and kill it!!

I am not personally fast and honestly don’t think I could be whatever I did. But those who can’t do, read! And ask …

rc, I’ve read some about using (sparingly) HIIT as part of endurance training, after having achieved an adequate base.

Your thoughts?

[quote=“DSeid, post:17, topic:697813”]

I am not personally fast and honestly don’t think I could be whatever I did. But those who can’t do, read! And ask …

rc, I’ve read some about using (sparingly) HIIT as part of endurance training, after having achieved an adequate base.

Your thoughts?

Major misconception of Lydiard’s plan.

Lydiard was not against fast interval running. What he avoided was the year round use of interval training. What he observed was that runners would peak unpredictably.
He believed that a peak could be planned for a specific race or series of races(Olympics, World Champs) by planning periods of training.
Base- High mileage at steady state pace
Strength- Added hill repeats to base training
Speed-added interval training aiming to a important race.

The 8% fast training has been a basic number for many years, it’s nothing new. And intervals at 2 mile race pace are appropriate for a half marathon. However, the bulk of intervals should be at roughly 10k pace and fairly long (1200m-2000m).

I found fartleks helped me during my last 10-mile race, even though I hated doing them.

The other thing I found beneficial, as much as it surprised me- walk through the water stations. For my last marathon I started walking once I reached the first table, drank my water without it sloshing all over me, and didn’t start running until I passed the last table. I think it gave me just enough reserve in the tank to be able to dig it out for the last mile or so. I was finally able to break 4 hours.

And I don’t listen to music when I train or run a race. For the last couple years I’ve run the Broad Street 10-Miler (Philadelphia), and was amused to see on the website either a strict prohibition against headphones, or at least a very strong request not to. All of this on a webpage with a big photo of the previous year’s race at the top in which you could pick out about a dozen people wearing them.