How many Dopers does it take to change a lightbulb?

I have a light fixture over my staircase. The bulb has burned out and I need to replace it. Being over a staircase, I cannot easily bring in a step ladder and reach it. The last time I changed the bulb, I put my daughter on my shoulders and she reached up and changed the bulb. We used a very long-lasting CFL, so we are both years older. She is no longer my 100 pound teenager and I am… well, I’m older, too.

The challenge here is that the lamp is in a shade that hangs from the ceiling on a single cord. I have a pole to turn the lamp, but in this case, it simply turns the entire fixture. Any thoughts on what to grab the shade with so that it doesn’t turn when I use the pole to unscrew the bulb?

I have one of those pole things too and it doesn’t grip any bulb tightly enough to unscrew it. Can you borrow somebody else’s teenager?

I have built a platform for stairs to allow a ladder to be used on a staircase similar to this:

Another alternative is to use one of the multi-fold ladders:

I don’t have any advice for you.
But plenty of other Dopers do! ---- In the memorable,funny and classic:
Famous Thread about Changing a Light Bulb

:slight_smile:

Well, make sure you turn the power off first.

holds lit lighter in air

I’m guessing a mini-drone wouldn’t have enough torque. But if you tried it and it didn’t work, you’d still have a mini-drone.

Apparently they come as bracelets, too.

Can you reach the fixture using one of these?

If not, I suggest finding a couple of teenagers.

Hold onto to light with your pole and we’ll come over and turn your house. I think that there are enough of us to do this, but someone may need to do the math. I also believe that we should we count the person doing the math in the calculation and me for having the idea even though we will not be doing any actual lifting of said house. Could you provide us house dimensions?

Our light fixture can be reached with a straightened coat hanger, and pulled close enough to our second floor landing to change the bulbs by hand.

If that doesn’t work, can you use a second pole to stop the fixture from turning while you try to unscrew the bulb with the pole?

Failing those, I’d go with Enright3’s approach.

Congratulations on hed.

I checked in to see why a mod hadn’t changed it to [GAME].

[doper]Cite that lightbulb needs to be changed?[/d]

Is there a ledge parallel to to the top step?

When wallpapering the stairway, painting the ceiling and changing lightbulbs in my parents. mid 19th century home years ago, we used a scaffold made of two 2"X6" boards cut to length and braced every two feet. We nailed temporary cross pieces on the top step and the flooring parallel to it. It was kept in the shed for years for routine maintenance and decorating.

How many?

One to post a question on how to change a lightbulb.
One to post a link to the Wikipedia article on lightbulb changing.
One to point out that Wikipedia is not a reliable source and demand an academic peer-reviewed source.
One to provide an anecdote about what happened one time when grandma tried to change a light bulb.
One to summarize the Theory of Lightbulb Changing in a few neat paragraphs.
One to tell lightbulb jokes.
One to point out all the spelling and grammar mistakes made by the other posters.
One to greet Opal.
One to rule them all.
One to find them.
One to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.

In the land of Cecil where the lightbulbs change.

How many Russian Orthodox Old Believers does it take to change a lightbulb?

What??? Change???

How many Episcopalians does it take to change a lightbulb?

We accept all lightbulb changers regardless of their gender or sexual identity. Feel free to perform a song and dance number to express your view on this important topic.

How many Amish people does it take to change a lightbulb?

Lightbulb? I’ve never needed such a thing.

How many Scientologists does it take to change a lightbulb?

For $1,500, you can take our new Lightbulb Rundown course at our campus in Florida. It has videos narrated by Tom Cruise!

How many ISIS followers does it take to change a lightbulb?

The American infidels are causing our lightbulbs to burn out. Allah Akbar!

Will the ladder fit on a treadmill?

One idea is to place the ladder horizontal. Its not to go vertically, its to use like a floor… use it like a plank.

Tie it on somehow, if it might slip off.

Where the hell’s Chewbacca when you need him?!

Not advisable if your ladder is fiberglass or extending.

Does the staircase face a wall or the ledge of the floor above?

Then extension ladder facing the wall and wedged against the riser of a step. If needed small painter’s plank from ladder step to a stair step above.

Although that is very nicely done, to the point of being a thing of beauty, I think you’ve underestimated the number of dopers who will jump at the chance to tell lightbulb jokes.