Old 12-12-2014, 02:21 PM

Ketchup On A Chicago Dog. Is it Legal?

Ketchup On A Chicago Dog. Is it Legal?

Most serious Chicago Dog eaters say it is a Cardinal Sin to put ketchup on a Chicago Dog. The reasoning behind that is they say that the Tomato Slices are all that is needed for Tomato Content.
The act is also frowned upon when even put a plain Dog.
Some say children are exempt this from this Unwritten Rule.

I say NO.
It is illegal to put ketchup on a hot dog.

But I have a work aroud to that. What I do is put ketchup on the side of a paper plate and Dip the Dog in it. I surely did not put Ketchup "On" the Dog.
What I did do is Put the Dog on the Ketchup and some stuck to it. when I picked it back up.

What do you think?

Last edited by Anthony Smith; 12-12-2014 at 02:26 PM.
Advertisements  
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM

I think people who have nothing better to do than criticize your food habits need other hobbies.

Chicago style hot dogs already have so much crap on them, the ketchup isn't going to do any more damage but it will make it even messier.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM

There was a lively conversation about this in the Café Society a little while back.

I can see both sides of this. While I understand that there is a cultural component to the "Chicago style" I don't think there's any reason to not put ketchup on it if you want it. I've even had owners essentially say "I don't care, enjoy the dog."

If I'm eating a legit Chicago dog with all the other toppings, I won't put ketchup on it. Otherwise, I would. My wife (born and bred Chicagoan and self proclaimed "City Snob") hates mustard and won't put it on anything but will put ketchup on a dog if she has one.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Stickler View Post
I think people who have nothing better to do than criticize your food habits need other hobbies.

Chicago style hot dogs already have so much crap on them, the ketchup isn't going to do any more damage but it will make it even messier.
How about people who have nothing better to do than comment on threads that criticize food habits?

(And, how about people who respond to them?)
Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Eh, I've never seen more than good natured gruffness that would collapse under mild pressing. Gene & Judes famously refuses to serve it but it's not like anyone will snatch the ketchup packet from your hand if you pull one out of your pocket.

For my own part, I find commercial ketchup too sweet for most applications. However, I do have very fond memories of mom's bag lunch hot dogs with ketchup, mustard and sweet relish and won't give you too much of a hard time if you want ketchup. No, not too much but a little.

If there's a better way to dress a dog than Chicago's dragged through the garden meal on a bun, I've never tasted it and certainly can't imagine it. I'll take one, everything, extra hot, please.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:39 PM

I visited Chicago for the first time last year. We were just there for a few hours on our way to Glacier Nat'l Park, so we got lunch, and I thought as long as I'm here my first time, it's compulsory I get one of these signature dogs.

I've gotta be honest with you, I didn't really get it. I've never felt the hot dog is a proper medium for a lot of toppings, and there's a lot of stuff on there. I think it's the pickle spear that put it over the top for me; I had to pull it out, and even then it was quite messy. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but it was just a muddy mess. Not that I wouldn't give it another go should I find myself in Chicago again.

That said, I didn't find myself missing ketchup, and I'm one of those heathens who usually puts ketchup on hot dogs.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:32 PM

I'm a born and bred Chicagoan, and I love eating the canonical Chicago hot dog with all of the approved trimmings. They work, mate. They weren't chosen at random, you know; they evolved over the centuries to provide the best possible hot-dog-eating experience.

But on the other hand, I am also an avowed libertarian. If it is your dog, your trimmings, and your mouth, you are free to put whatever the fuck toppings on it you like! However disgusting. And I will defend (not to the death; I'm not a fanatic after all!) your right to top it however you like. So have at it!
Old 12-13-2014, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCnDC View Post
I think it's the pickle spear that put it over the top for me; I had to pull it out, and even then it was quite messy.
Same here, I always eat the pickle before moving to the dog.
It will have a nice hit of celery salt applied and maybe a little mustard transfer so it is better than just a spear out of the jar.
Call it an amuse bouche.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:41 AM

My view is that it should be illegal to put ketchup on anything, and illegal to put anything on a hot dog.

(By "illegal" I simply mean it's not something I wish to do. Everyone else is free to make and live by their own rules.)
Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
(By "illegal" I simply mean it's not something I wish to do. Everyone else is free to make and live by their own rules.)
Right, this isn't a religious crusade like beans in chili or pop vs soda vs coke.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrustus View Post
My view is that it should be illegal to put ketchup on anything, and illegal to put anything on a hot dog.

I agree with your last statement, but not your first. It should be illegal (for me) to put catsup (not ketchup, but that's a different discussion) on anything except hot dogs and it should be illegal (for me) to eat a hot dog without catsup.

But these "laws" do not and should not apply to anyone else.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:41 PM

It is legal. It is frowned upon for some reason, I don't know why. I don't do it, but that's only because I don't care for ketchup on my dogs. I do use ketchup in other cases: a little on a hamburger, in addition to the other toppings; and with french fries.
Clint Eastwood didn't help with the ketchup hot dog thing. What movie was that where he said something like: Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog?
Old 12-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
It is legal. It is frowned upon for some reason, I don't know why. I don't do it, but that's only because I don't care for ketchup on my dogs. I do use ketchup in other cases: a little on a hamburger, in addition to the other toppings; and with french fries.
Clint Eastwood didn't help with the ketchup hot dog thing. What movie was that where he said something like: Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog?
It was the one where he was viewing the gory aftermath of a killing.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:45 PM

By definition, a Chicago hot dog doesn't have ketchup on it, so once you introduce ketchup into the mix, it's no longer a Chicago hot dog. If you like hot dogs that way, though, go for it. :-)
Old 12-13-2014, 03:36 PM

In New York, they give you a really good quality dog; the toppings are secondary.

In Chicago, they give you any old trash for the dog; the toppings are the experience.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Ketchup on anything other than french fries or fish is an abomination of nature.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:00 AM

The answer is obvious. No. Cecil says so.
Quote:
But — getting back to the original question — you say you like the taste of tomatoes. Fine, then eat tomatoes, as God meant them to be eaten — fresh sliced and piled on top of the hot dog. The recommended ingredients of a hot dog with everything, in order of application, are mustard, relish, chopped onion, sliced tomato, kosher pickle spear, optional peppers, and celery salt. (Many think you have to get kraut in there too, but Cecil wants a hot dog, not Oktoberfest.)

People get pretty emotional over the ketchup question. Mel Plotsky opened our discussion by describing the condiment as a "catchall of garbage." Over at crosstown rival Vienna Sausage, they refer to ketchup as the "K-word." If you go into an authentic hot dog joint and ask for ketchup on your hot dog, the counterman will pause and look you in the eye. He may or may not say, "Ketchup?" with a tone of disbelief. But you may be certain what he's thinking: "Behold this creature that walks like a man. It wants ketchup on its hot dog."

But hey, if you want ketchup, by all means get it.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
...... Clint Eastwood didn't help with the ketchup hot dog thing. What movie was that where he said something like: Nobody, and I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog?

It was Sudden Impact.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:41 AM
BANNED

Ketchup On A Chicago Dog?

Simple. The offender should be tied to a pillar and publicly pelted with McNuggets.

Swine.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael View Post
In New York, they give you a really good quality dog; the toppings are secondary.

In Chicago, they give you any old trash for the dog; the toppings are the experience.
Vienna Beef all beef dogs. I'll take them over ny dogs any day.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Vienna Beef all beef dogs. I'll take them over ny dogs any day.
Having had all sorts of NY dogs, I agree. The only one I may except is the Sahlen dogs as prepared by Ted's in Buffalo. They're a natural casing beef and pork mix, prepared over a grill and slashed into while grilling (!?--you'd think it would dry up the dog, but it's great) and I like them better than Vienna Beef or Red Hot Chicago dogs. (Or at least as a change of pace.) The stuff I've had in NYC was generally not to my tastes. And skinless dogs are just a non-starter with me. (And this has become a big problem in the Chicago area, as most places now, it seems by a wide majority, serve skinless dogs. And true kosher dogs, so far as I know, are skinless by definition, so non-starter there.)

Some of the most famous Chicago hot dog stands like Gene and Jude's or Jimmy's Red Hots just give you mustard, relish, and onion*. A natural casing Vienna Beef or Red Hot hot dog stands on its own--it doesn't need anything but perhaps a squirt of mustard on it. I've had dogs in the Midwest that really do need to be ladled on with chili/hot dog sauce and onions for them to have any flavor, because the core dog is so poor (like an Oscar Mayer weiner/bologna in flavor and texture), but not the natural casing dogs I've had around here.

*(Here's a little article on these more minimalist dogs. A number of hot dog places in my neighborhood served them this style, as well. I don't think I had a full-on "Chicago style hot dog" until well into my teen years, and I grew up in the city. Also interesting to note--for at least the folks following the "is the hot dog a sandwich thread," that these were called "depression sandwiches.")

Last edited by pulykamell; 12-26-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 02:26 PM

Ketchup does not belong on any hot dog sandwich, not just the hot dog sandwiches in Chicago (or whatever they are, I've never had a Chicago Hot Dog Sandwich).
Old 12-28-2014, 12:46 AM

Best's Kosher franks were always my favorite until they were gobbled up by Sara Lee and the brand was eventually discontinued. I find today Hebrew National is my preferred dog. Vienna Beef is ok.

I've always objected to ketchup in almost every situation because it is so ungodly sweet. It covers the flavor of anything it touches. Don't know the last time I had a bottle of it in the house.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Smith View Post
Most serious Chicago Dog eaters say it is a Cardinal Sin to put ketchup on a Chicago Dog. The reasoning behind that is they say that the Tomato Slices are all that is needed for Tomato Content.
Wait. You lost me at "the Tomato Slices". Before we even discuss ketchup (which doesn't belong on a hot dog), who the hell puts tomato slices on a hot dog? Does Chicago have to screw up both pizza and hot dogs?
(And why are"Tomato Slices" and "Tomato Content" capitalized?)

Last edited by davidm; 12-28-2014 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 12-28-2014, 04:49 AM

Og dammit. I'm having my first real missing Hot Doug's moment. *sniff*
Old 12-28-2014, 06:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post
Wait. You lost me at "the Tomato Slices". Before we even discuss ketchup (which doesn't belong on a hot dog), who the hell puts tomato slices on a hot dog? Does Chicago have to screw up both pizza and hot dogs?
In the culinary world, there is a huge difference between tomato slices and catsup.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:35 PM

Fine, fine, I'll agree to stop putting ketchup on my hot dogs (Nathan's or Hebrew National only, thankyouverymuch) - so long as you all stop calling anything that is prepared from a dead cow "barbecue". "Barbecue" is pulled pork, period. And it exists in its true form only east of Goldsboro, North Carolina and south of Moncks Crossing, South Carolina.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Moving Vehicle View Post
...... "Barbecue" is pulled pork, period. And it exists in its true form only east of Goldsboro, North Carolina and south of Moncks Crossing, South Carolina.
How is it with ketchup?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Ketchup on anything other than french fries or fish is an abomination of nature.
Ketchup on fish?

Tell me that's a joke. Please?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Hey Paula View Post
Ketchup on fish?

I somehow missed that. I don't think I've ever seen anyone ever put ketchup on fish before.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Pig View Post
In the culinary world, there is a huge difference between tomato slices and catsup.
I never said otherwise. Regardless, neither belongs on a hog dog. Not because they're both tomato, but because they just don't.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ketchup on fish?

You can buy sardines in tomato sauce, so I can see it for some fish, but I wouldn't put it on salmon or flounder, for example.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Ketchup on fish?

I've put ketchup on fish sticks, when I was out of both tartar sauce and mayonnaise. Granted, it's not a first choice, but it's better than eating them dry.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
BANNED

Quote:
You can buy sardines in tomato sauce, so I can see it for some fish, but I wouldn't put it on salmon or flounder, for example.
The more sardines that are placed in a can, the greater the profit as sardine oil costs more than the sardines. Not sure about the cost of tomato sauce in a sardine can.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I never said otherwise. Regardless, neither belongs on a hog dog. Not because they're both tomato, but because they just don't.
Tomato is a fruit. Ketchup is a condiment. Tomato on a dog is OK in Chicago. Nix on the Ketchup.

Last edited by Little_Pig; 12-30-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Just to be clear to everyone who seems to think otherwise. I know the difference between tomatoes and ketchup. I really don't need to have it explained.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Ketchup on fish?

Should have said fried fish, sorry.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clothahump View Post
Should have said fried fish, sorry.

The clarification didn't help.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak of Twilo View Post
The clarification didn't help.
It's like a deconstructed tuna salad. So instead of tomatoes like you use in the salad you use ketchup on the haddock instead.

Last edited by Drunky Smurf; 12-30-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Just to be clear to everyone who seems to think otherwise. I know the difference between tomatoes and ketchup. I really don't need to have it explained.
Not so fast davidm. If you had to ask why ketchup is nix (Hey, you started his thread) and tomatoes are OK on a dog, (resting peacefully on a poppy seed bun) then you do not know the difference.

Shame!

Last edited by Little_Pig; 12-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:
how is it with ketchup?
Uncircumcised heathen!
Old 12-30-2014, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not so fast davidm. If you had to ask why ketchup is nix (Hey, you started his thread) and tomatoes are OK on a dog, (resting peacefully on a poppy seed bun) then you do not know the difference.

Shame!
I didn't ask that, I said that neither is acceptable; and I didn't start this thread.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:10 PM

Ketchup is for French fries, tater tots, onion rings, and that particular kind of fish that is sold breaded and frozen and aimed at kids. Nothing else. Ever.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfeena View Post
By definition, a Chicago hot dog doesn't have ketchup on it, so once you introduce ketchup into the mix, it's no longer a Chicago hot dog. If you like hot dogs that way, though, go for it. :-)
It seems like it's a Chicago hotdog with ketchup then.
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Not so fast.... (Hey, you started his thread)...
Quote:
... I didn't start this thread.
That's funny.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
You've reminded me of a scene from Klondike Fever. I never read the Jack London book, I only saw this one scene from the movie.

Jack and an old prospector snowed in together in a small cabin in Alaska, and have been for an extended time, and are running low on food. The old prospector starts describing the last steak he ate, in St. Louis or Kansas City (can't remember which). He goes into exquisite detail describing the steak, how thick, how juicy, etc. Jack is listening, mouth open and watering, completely mesmerized as the description goes on.

The old man ends his description with, "... and smothered in tomato sauce."

Jack instantly snaps out of it, gets the most outraged look on his face, and yells, "YOU DON'T PUT TOMATO SAUCE ON A STEAK!"

Much brawling ensues.

Last edited by Mister Rik; 12-31-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Hot dogs should have Mustard, chili, slaw, and onions like God intended. I think it's in Leviticus or Numbers.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM

My dog; my toppings. Your dog; your toppingd.
Mine is either mustard or mayo/kétchup.
Of course, hot dogs are a choripán's poor cousin and I won't even mention salchicha de huacho because you would question how you imagined any stage of your life happy before having one.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maus Magill View Post
Hot dogs should have Mustard, chili, slaw, and onions like God intended. I think it's in Leviticus or Numbers.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I do. When my stepkids were young, we ate a lot of Hebrew National hot dogs. They put ketchup on theirs (and nothing else) and I liked chopped onion and chopped fresh tomato (and nothing else) on mine.

Now I want a hot dog. Thanks a lot.