An idea to resolve homelessness in the u.s.

Being that I have been homeless off and on over the years due to prior alcohol problems and general drug use and shenanighans, along with what I guess you could say were mental illnesses stemming from such substance use (but not exclusively), I feel compelled to offer a ‘solution’ so to speak for homelessness. Not that it should matter, but as of now I have no addiction problems to anything, regardless what statistics and AA and such would have/want me to believe, and appear to be completely normal to people in society, unless I choose to reveal some loose screws to people to whatever degree i feel i can get away with and not be written off (unless thats what I want).

I am no “expert” on homelessness and don’t have a degree in a damn thing, but feel my idea, if implemented, would resolve a lot of homelessness and the associated despair and agony felt in some capacity or another by people in such situations. I realize not all people who are homeless give a rats ass about their situation, as some people actively choose to be homeless with no underlying issues whatsoever, but I believe a majority do give a rats ass, even if they got a good hustle or two going down and things set up pretty good and such…deep down I feel those people are still miserable… and this can sometimes come to light after they’ve gotten their BAC % or BxC % (x being a modifier for whatever drug) high enough to reveal their subconsciousness fairly decent.

anyway, I believe a federal program is in order that would give each person claiming to be homeless, and whom can be shown not to actually be renting/buying a place and having a large amount of money, $5,000 all at once (on a social security like debit card), 4 months prepaid rent on a decent apartment or house, an allotment or ‘cache’ of $200/month to be applied by a caseworker directly to utilities, including internet access and sat-tv/cable-tv (whichever they want, or both) and a decent laptop… once in a lifetime. bottles of librium (for alcohol withdrawal) and whatever for other substance withdrawals would be prescribed. bottles of pills for whatever mental illness would be prescribed. they take it if they want to.

now obviously the homeless will have wide lattitude to fuck this up and blow the opportunity on alcohol, crack, crystal, or whatever. well, its once in a lifetime assistance, and would replace all other homeless assistance programs including shelters, soup kitchens…everything. this would be done to nail into the homeless persons head how vital it is to use the only remaining resource the right way and get out of their slump.

refusal to get out of their slump would result in such persons being subjected to brutal physical and psycological torture at the hands of professional torturers. The only way it would come to this is if their 4 months free rent/utilities have expired AND they are out of money AND they are not able to obtain employment or some way of getting self-supporting income within 1 month afterwards. drug dealing would not be allowed and such homeless persons would be monitored by drones to control this. the problem with allowing the homeless “case” to drug deal, is the circumstances would encourage cutting product to next to nothing and outright scamming customers out of their money. drug dealing should and would be the federal governments responsibility, and multiple 7-11 type stores would have to be opened to sell drugs, tooters, IV delivery systems, smoking devices, water, gatorade, beer, liquor, cigarettes, pipes, lighters, and so forth. the stores would have rooms with flatscreen tvs and couches to watch football games or whatever and for the homeless cases to do their business.

of course, for all this to work, there would need to be a major change in the laws and how things are done in general. a reverse brainwashing program would have to be implemented to reverse the brainwashing conducted against the populace until this point. it would have to be made loud and clear, just for those who don’t have personal experience, any actual legitimate dangers from using (insert drug) or alcohol, such as how pharmaceutical leaflets detail dangers of (insert prescription drug). different levels of danger and effects could be written. it would have to be done in such a way as not to insult peoples intelligence and be as realistic as possible. on the flipside, it would need to be made clear the penalties of falling into a drug “rut” and fucking up in whatever way…both for homeless cases and regular citizens. if GC/MS can prove alcohol or drug in connection to a crime and/or personal irresponsibility, a chart with different degrees of punishments would be consulted and subsequently initiated against the offending party.

anyway, i know this is kind of ridiculous to seriously consider, but on an abstract level, what flaws do you see that you can replace with something better, without deviating too much from the core “curriculum” so to speak, lol. otherwise an alternative plan would need to be submitted for review…:slight_smile:

just have fun with this and don’t take it too seriously, it’s just something i came up with for discussion, as something really does need to be done for the homelessness problem highly evident in the U.S. (although this could apply to other countries as well).

i was recently in san francisco and was highly irritated by how poorly the homeless were treated altogether. the whole system is broke, so each “detox center”, “rehab”, “shelter”, “resource center”, and so forth, are either next to worthless, corrupt as hell, full of dope and liquor, full of mentally ill and/or doped up “employees”, “employees” who come in “drunk” metaphorically speaking–as in they aren’t on a damn thing but just act like it, or more often than not a combination of all the above. the homeless are psychologically abused in the majority of these facilities to some degree or another, a lot of times intentionally, for the perverse satisfaction of the “employees” or “workers” or whatever they want to call themselves. they feel above the homeless to a high-and-mighty degree, for whatever reason(s), and feel as if homeless people are subhuman wild animals (and some really are, sorry) and group them all together for benefit of them (the “workers”) expending less mental power trying to seperate the ‘good’ homeless people from the true trash out there. mission creep style stuff i guess, but i believe heavy monitoring needs to be implemented at the minimum on all those homeless places in SF…as several services take medi-cal/medicaid and are technically ran by the state department of health, but there is practically no legitimate oversight whatsoever, from my experience…and the places left ran by vigilante-style former, and even current, crackheads and bums.

another alternative is to simply shoot all homeless looking people on sight via the military, but my other scenario should work better altogether i believe.

Holy crap, I think I just laughed for ten minutes straight. Thanks straightdough. (btw, this isn’t copypasta if anyone was curious. It’s 100% original)

Sure, why not? What could go wrong?

30 years ago, when “homeless” was still regarded as something to be dealt with NOW, a truck full of sleeping bags were passed out in SF.
A week later, not a one in sight.

And you think that giving people $5K and a shelter for 4 months will somehow magically make their decision-making better?

Those “professional torturers” would be very, very busy…

It’s strange to lump all homeless people together in one monolithic category.

So now the government is going to embrace torture against its own citizens? Who’s going to be okay with that?

I think you’re still on drugs.

Why not just lock them up in camps and take them out on chain gangs to work as each city/county needs? Then they work for their keep and can’t cause trouble when they are not working.

Wow, I stopped reading before I got to the torture part. Even before I got to that part, I was thinking “What if the root cause of the homelessness was paranoia and not wanting to be on “their” radar?”. There are plenty of people who wouldn’t trust The Government enough to sign up for such a program.

And then we get to the part where the government is such that sane, rational people really shouldn’t trust them.

I had a friend who spent much too little time taking care of his dog. It did bother me but I didn’t realize that what I should have done was get a shovel and bash the thing in the head.

I agree with this part. Not so much with the rest.

I like it. It would make liberals happy because it pours money down a rat hole and of course conservatives would love getting to torture people. I think you could really build bipartisan support for this.

hmmm i knew i figured something out right!

so with bipartisan support, along with uploading videos to the internet of people being kidnapped then subsequently savagely tortured in one of several thousand “torture houses” for the amusement of millions for their ‘failure to comply’ (well, would people be amused? they liked hostel and saw!)

i think after awhile, the homeless wouldn’t want to be so homeless after all! keeping in mind my aforementioned program with the $5k and 4 months free rent and all, they could make it work.

i forgot to clarify that said program, including the torture portion of the program, would be administered by me (people would trust me…right?) so no one would have to worry about any abuses or shenanighans infiltrating the program, as they would be ordered summarily shot in the medulla amygdala for no given reason other than the informal understanding of interfering with my program.

lol

I know how to solve the drug problem, but I’m not as ambitious as you to bother posting it on The Internet.

Why do people with screeds always seem to have something against capitalization of letters?

Because using capital letters is how the powers-that-be want you to write. Fight the power!
And who knows, straightdough, maybe some of your crazy ideas would get some of the homeless off the street. But they are wholly and completely impractical in a modern Democratic society. It would take something like a brutal dictatorship to ever implement torture on unreformed homeless people.

How about a one way ticket to Cuba?

Wait… what?!?

the thing: your friend or the dog?

It’s only strange when that category is “people to be tortured”.

So the only two proposals that OP can think of is torturing the homeless or executing the homeless.

How about bringing a little imagination to the problem? We should consider the possibility of having the homeless fight each other in gladiatorial arenas.