Wagga Wagga!

I recently learned that there is a place in Australia called Wagga Wagga. This is by far the coolest name EVER! And it’s not a tiny backwater, mind you, but a decent-sized town! I imagine myself standing before a counter in a government office with some bureaucrat jotting down information about me, barking at me without bothering to look up:

*Place of residence?
To which I just reply:

Wagga Wagga!

It’s often shortened to just Wagga in casual speech.

There’s a great bistro in Romano’s pub.

But much less often by the residents. :stuck_out_tongue:

Not far away to the west you have Grong Grong, to the south is Walla Walla.
Up the hills a bit is the quintessential country racetrack at Bong Bong
Over on the seaside you have Curl Curl then up the coast an hour or so over the Mooney Mooney bridge is Woy Woy.

I live near Koo Wee Rup, Poowong and Nar Nar Goon. I used to live closer to Won Wron, former home of the Won Wron Prison Farm and nothing else.

Wangaratta is often called Wang by the locals.

There’s also Yea, pronounced Yay!

My late husband’s sister lives in Wagga Wagga. I always love visiting her.

Good, but I give a slight edge to Walla Walla, Washington, for two reasons:

1. Alliteration.
  2. The word “Walla” in a local Native American language means “stinky,” and describes the river.

St Michael’s Cathedral is lovely and has a rather good acoustic.

Please tell me someone has built a road between the two and named it the Wagga Wagga-Walla Walla Way.

So I guess it would be fair to call this the Wagga-Wagga-Grong-Grong-Bong-Bong metropolitan area?

Damn. I’m from Utah which has absolutely nothing funny. Can I pretend to be from Wagga Wagga?

Then there’s Wooloomolloo…

Sadly, I live in Canada, which avoided the above alliteration. We do, however, have a Dildo.

Well we do have Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!

It’s worth noting that Wagga Wagga is pronounced ‘Wogga Wogga’. When I was a kid I saw a cartoon (Popeye I think) in which Wagga Wagga was a point on a treasure map - the clue was a picture of a dog wagging it’s tail, they pronounced it wag rather than wog and it just sounded weird.

I always thought it would be fun to be from Walla Walla, Washington, and answer with a Daffy Duck voice when asked where I lived.

At least Wagga Wagga is funny, whereas in Hell Fer Sartin in KY doesn’t allow drinking, smoking, or rock music. Which may be why it is Hell.

The way I heard it, “Walla” means “Water” in local tribal vernacular and “Walla Walla” means “Many Waters.” I see that Wikipedia has it as “Place of Many Waters.”

Other places in Washington with double names are Mats Mats Bay, Hamma Hamma River (Falls and Inlet, too.) and Loup Loup Pass. I’m sure I’m forgetting one or two that may be actual towns. Let me think on it…

That wiki entry is a wealth of chuckle-inducing names;

To which I would add Hell, Norway and Dickshooter, Idaho.

Well there is a national highway directly between the two places, a distance of about 96km or 60 miles.

It’s officially called the Olympic Way. So that section of the Olympic Way could very reasonably be called … :slight_smile:
(the Olympic Way is the route the Olympic torch relay used in the lead-up to the 1956 Melbourne games)

Yesterday I drove through Yeehaw Junction, Florida and Arabi, Georgia.

There’s also a Hell in Michigan. I’ve been there.