What do freemasons do, exactly?

We’re always being told about this ‘mysterious’ group, but they are not that secretive. I mean, there are masonic lodges out in the open.

But what do their members do, exactly? Do they sit around tables and discuss philosophy all day?

Shriners Hospitals, for one.

I usually associate these organizations as the Loyal Order of the Moose, or Water Buffalo, or whatever it was Jackie Gleason and Fred Flintstone were members of. From what I know, essentially they are Frat organizations for middle aged folks - pretty much the same thing, combination social organization and social networking tool.

It’s a secret, but I’ll tell you. This is what we do.

There are bizzillion threads on this general topic and some of this board’s members are masons. No worries, fair question, just saying. Also partial link list.

I want to join the Freemasons - how do I do it? What should I expect?

Ask the Freemason

Ask the Freemason Part II

From the Great Master:

I’ve never been a Mason or been inside a Masonic lodge. But I had a friend who was a Mason.

He said in his lodge, for most of the members, it was an excuse to get out of the house and go hang out with the guys. They’d have regular “meetings” where they would spend a few minutes conducted “official business” and then they’d spend a couple hours playing cards.

He was having you on. The meetings–no insinuations involved–are just that: meetings of a group. The business discussed at those meetings is what any other group involved in activities for both charitable purposed and for their own members would be: what activities to be involved in, what charities to support, what events to have for upcoming special occasions, who will be involved in coordinating and preparing said events. The card playing would be done at someone’s home if they were so inclined, not at the lodge.

You’re right about the meetings, although almost all lodges I’m familiar with own the building/space where their meetings take place (sometimes jointly with another lodge or two) and some unofficial socialization (including cards) goes on at these places outside of the regularly scheduled meetings.

What do they do? What don’t they do? They do so many things, they never stop! Oh, the things they do - my stars!

“Being a Mason” has over the history of the organization has meant quite different things. In the eighteenth century, for example, the Masonic idea, in its very conception as a secular organization of like minded “cells” devoted a particular set of ethical and intellectual ideals (regardless of their nature) was a bigger deal for an authoritarian political orthodoxy, ie, all those in power in Europe.

Hence their perceived influence–let alone their “insidious” nature–made them attractive candidates to join the Jews and whomever else was available as conspiracy fodder.

I’m quite happy with the idea of our Founding Fathers, Mozart, Haydn, and the rest sitting around swilling beers and shooting the breeze, but the Masons at one time were socially and intellectually (to a degree) rather a potent force, compared to the silly-hats motif currently being played with.

And in the US, where many of the founding fathers were Freemasons, so they were very closely allied to the political orthodoxy, they wound up conspiracy targets anyway. Hence, the Morgan Affair, and the Anti-Masonic Party. Nobody knows what really happened to Morgan, and it seems to me that he was probably rather a rascal, but the perception of the Masons as a power concentrating secret society pulling the strings behind the scenes is compelling to anybody with an axe to grind. A scenario reiterated with the Council on Foreign Relations, The Trilateral Commission, Bilderberg, Bohemian Grove, The Yale Skull and Bones Society, etc.

I always thought they laid bricks and didn’t charge you for it. But maybe that’s wrong.

Don’t be silly. They give away jars …

Ouch. :smack:

We are a Fraternity of good men, who are always aspiring to be better men. We don’t care about religion, we don’t discuss politics in the Lodge room, and we provide good counsel when a Brother is doing something we don’t agree with. That’s the long and short of it.

We are not a charity, but we do charitable things - not always being recognized. We engage in philanthropic, charitable, and other activities for fun and fraternal enjoyment. There is very little that is secret. Modes of authentication ARE secret, kind of. A 5 minute conversation with a faux-Mason will easily tell me if he knows what he’s talking about.

We are open to all religions - one need only to believe in a Supreme Architect/God-figure. We don’t allow women, but there are Masonic societies for women, such as the Order of the Eastern Star, Job’s Daughters, etc.

We don’t control the world, but many of our members have been influential over the years. My thinking is that it’s because (again) “we make good men better.”

I think that very much depends on the Lodge. I’m not a member, but I’ve been in my local one a couple of times (they’ve got a big hall with a bar and a stage that can be hired for weddings etc), and in addition to the Masonic stuff, it also functions as a social club. It has a small downstairs bar that non-members can be signed into, they compete in the local pub darts league, that kind of thing.

I have no idea of the percentages, but I wouldn’t mind wagering that the total number of Catholic, Jewish, and Moslem masons is greatly outweighed by the number of WASPS.

In the US, alcohol is not allowed, at present. You must be from the UK?

Yes, from Scotland.

Traditionally, yes. But we have about 1/3 catholics in my lodge. A lot of the born again churche’s don’t allow membership in the Mason’s. So mostly protestants, main line types.

One thing that surprised me recently is the number of blacks joining. They used to join Prince Hall lodges, now they are joining ours. In the Detroit area, there are a lot of different ethnic groups in the lodges. We are after all, part of the same society.

I do wish we could have a beer at lodge!!