Outrage over receipt checking!?

I’ve heard people on various other forums say they won’t shop at Costco/Sam’s since someone checks your receipt at the door. :confused: What is so offensive/demeaning about that? Am I missing something?

Someone else said that if while leaving Walmart a greeter or manager asks to see their receipt, they’ll threaten to return all their items and get their money back. :eek:

I’ve never had a problem with it. I can’t imagine what the objection would be.

In any case, in my experience they glance at it and make an X or whatever with a marker. If you have more than a few things there’s no way that they’re actually checking the receipt against everything in your cart. It’s theater to discourage theft.

I will admit though that I recently had an experience where my purchased item set off the alarm on the way out the door and they had me come back in so that they could check on it, and I did feel some anger and resentment over it. There was no good reason for me to feel that way, but I guess it’s just human nature. I suppose that may be what’s going on with the people you’re talking about. They feel like they’re being treated as a potential thief and resent it.

I am pretty sure Walmart will happily refund the money. But Walmart checks and Costco checks are different.

I have never been stopped to show a receipt at Walmart. Not once, out several hundred visits. I cannot help but wonder if it is because I am a white male.

Costco checks everyone who has made a purchase at the register. I am told this because when theft occurs, a checker is usually in on it.

I believe there is a difference between Costco and Walmart. For Costco you are a member and they can enforce conditions like that. For Walmart (non-membership stores in general) there is no legal requirement to allow them to see your receipt, you can simply refuse and walk past.

There was a guy in Ohio that refused to show his receipt when leaving a Best Buy or Circuit City, got arrested because the police didn’t know the law and he was ultimately released and the police admitted their mistake.

I call that sticking to your principles beyond all reason and sanity. Either that or he had something he hadn’t paid for.

At CostCo they are checking the number of items in the cart, as well as the high price ones. I’ve definitely had them take a minute to look at things. They’ve also caught a few times when I was inadvertently double-charged for items.

That’s something I could imagine my husband doing, although he’s pretty chill about Costco checkers and stops for them. He feels like it (and being asked to stop for door alarms going off, always in error) is treating him like a presumed thief with no basis. Since he’d be well within his rights to just leave, he would. I have little doubt he’d view being arrested for it as some sort of educational session for everyone involved.

Personally I’ll ignore door alarms, especially since nobody in the stores ever seem to care, but I view receipt-checkers as more of an optional inconvenience than some kind of personal affront.

At BJ’s I expect to have my receipt checked at the door, because that’s their system. Our local Wal-Mart started to do the same thing for a while, but I assume they must have gotten a lot of negative feedback from it, because they stopped it after a few weeks.

I think for me, it’s not so much the fact that they’re merely checking receipts that bothers me; it doesn’t bother me at Sam’s Club, Costco or even Fry’s Electronics because it happens to everyone every time.

But it bothers me at the Wal-Mart local to my work that I go to in order to get errand-type shopping done during my lunch hour. I’ve literally been to that Wal-Mart hundreds of times over the past 8 years of working here, so it does gall me somewhat when they up and decide that they have to look at my receipt out of the blue, like I’m some kind of low-life who needs to be checked up on.

Because I dont like being openly mistrusted and delayed. Train and pay your cashiers right, and you dont need that crap.

Yeah, I refuse to show mine to the Walmart guy. I just walk right past him like he isnt there.

And then you will proudly wear that shirt, pants, or dress with the security tag still stuck to it? It’s the new chic!

I actually hate when there is a security tag that the checker didn’t remove and the alarm doesn’t go off. They almost never go off. Then, if you don’t want to walk around with a big tag stuck to your clothes, when you discover it you have to make a special trip back to the store to get it removed (and hope you didn’t lose your receipt).

Has anyone ever tried to get clothes with a security tag dry cleaned or washed them? If you have, how did that work out?

I’m a white male and I’ve had to show a receipt at Wal-Mart on multiple occasions. However, it has been a while since that’s happened. It’s hardly an inconvenience, especially compared to the exit line at Costco.

It was a little annoying the first couple of times at BJs and other places because I had already put the receipt away at the checkout. Now I know it’s coming, just about any store I now keep the receipt in hand until I’m outside. Aside from the minor inconvenience I don’t see what there is to be offended about if they are checking everyone. I don’t recall any stores that didn’t check everyone or no one.

My Walmart only seems to check the receipt for big items in boxes. I got checked when I bought a small TV (about 24") but I am guessing rather than looking to see if your stealing a TV, they want to make sure the cashier (or you) are not switching tags and giving you something more costly.

I recently got a new computer monitor at Best Buy and the cashier said, “Would you like a paper receipt or have it emailed to you?” I chose email.

When I was walking out, the clerk asked to see my receipt and I told him “the cashier emailed it to me.” And he smiled and said, “OK have a nice day.”

So I don’t know how something like that will work.

Well, the other day I’m walking out of Walmart with a few items in my hand (receipt was in my pocket). I opted out of bagging my items.

Right next to me is another guy with a shopping cart full of stuff, all of it bagged in Walmart bags.
Guess which one of us got stopped?

He’s black, and I’m white.

Stop treating your customers like criminals. Save that for the actual criminals.

I absolutely refuse to buy anything that is in a locked case in a store. If you actually wanted to sell it to me, I wouldn’t have to beg someone to unlock it for me. A locked case tells your customers “we don’t want you to buy this”. If that’s the way you want to run your store, I suggest just having a window where people can make orders, and someone brings it to you from the locked warehouse in back that you call a “store”.

Also, I never stop when the theft alarms go off. I know I didn’t steal anything, and if you want to accuse me of it, you can talk to my lawyer.

I’m not a thief. Anyone who treats me like one can go to hell. There are a million other stores plus the internet I can go to that don’t treat their paying customers like that.

Second this. For Costco/Sam’s Club/BJ’s Wholesale Club and other membership stores, you’ve signed a membership agreement, and I’ll bet there is language covering the receipt check. I suppose you’re free to object, as long as you don’t mind them cancelling your membership. At other places like Walmart, Best Buy and the like, I’ve never agreed to the receipt check and I politely decline it.

As for the emailed receipt that Carryon got at Best Buy, my experience with larger items (stuff that won’t fit in the bags) in the supermarket is that often the cashier will apply a sticker to it to indicate that it’s been paid for.

Only time I ever get checked is if something isn’t bagged, like a gallon of milk or case of water. I kind of find it amusing, like I’m coming to Wal Mart to steal water. The only thing that bugs me is that they wait until I tuck the receipt in my wallet and put it back in my pocket before asking.

As for the person who would “return all their items and get their money back,” they’re lying. I mean, have you seen how slowly that line at customer service moves?

When you’re entering a sports event, are you offended if anybody suspects that you might be trying to come in without a ticket, and complain if somebody asks to see it?

I expect them to check on my way in, which is like the cashier making me pay at the register.

I would not like them to check again, no.