Outrage over receipt checking!?

Very, very few shoplifters are going to be brazen enough to use the “hide it in plain sight” technique.

With an attitude like that, it’s obvious that you’ve never worked retail.

Even though most people are at least nominally honest, there are far too many people who are perfectly willing to steal anything valuable that isn’t locked down. If stores catered to your entitled attitude, they would have massive losses to theft.

I’ve always thought a locked case says “sorry, but you wouldn’t believe how fast these things walk away.”

Of course, if it’s a franchise store, it might have walked away at a different location.

The local pack-your-own grocery store had to lock up the liquor for that reason.

No, I’ve never had that happen, and I think it should be obvious I wouldn’t wear clothes with security tags still on them. Most of my clothes didn’t have security tags on them, and I’m mindful of the few that do so I can make sure they’re taken off. As best I can remember the door alarms have only ever gone off for me in error, from the little sticker tags on boxes that should’ve been deactivated when they were scanned.

How does that work, though? You empty your cart out onto the conveyor belt, they scan everything and put it into a new cart. Every single item gets taken out of your cart. The only way to steal something that this would catch is if you (a) hide it on your person, (b) make it cagily past the checkout stand without any noticing the 13 USB sticks you’ve got tucked into your cummerbund, and (c) take them out and drop them into the cart between the cashier and the door, rather than just leaving.

Does that really happen often enough (if they don’t check) to justify the full-time salary of an employee at every store in the country?

Or is it to check up on the cashiers, to make sure they’re scanning everything correctly? Do they have enough of a problem with people getting under-charged for items that it’s worth paying somebody to check your receipt so they can send you back to pay for that third flat of canned peaches you’ve got in your cart? If so, after 20 years or so of this being in place, how are things progressing on, oh, I don’t know, training people better?

Or maybe the problem is over-scanning, where they bill you for 2 toaster ovens when you only bought one? In that case, they’re losing money by sending people back to get that fixed. You could argue that they’re improving customer loyalty by catching their screw-ups more often, but seriously? How often does that have to happen to make it worth having somebody checking every single receipt, every minute that the store is open?

And when Franchise Store A is right next to Franchise Store B, and one locks things up, and one doesn’t, guess which one I bought the thing at?

(ToysRus locked up Wii games I was considering. Best Buy didn’t.)

Checking the receipt helps detect collusion with the cashier. It can also detect mistaken charges in the customer’s favor, or missing charges in the store’s favor.

Keep in mind, in many jurisdictions if the anti-theft sensor is triggered that is sufficient grounds for a shopkeeper to detain someone on suspicion of shoplifting. This would fall under Shopkeeper’s Privilege.

Maybe the layout of the Best Buy made it easier to monitor the merchandise?
Or ToysRus has more lightfingered kids in the store.

I’ve never been in either one in my life.

In most stores there isn’t a lot of control between the registers and the exits. Someone could go through check out paying for thier items then go back grab something else and throw it in thier cart.

I have a membership with Costco, I follow thier policies. Them checking my membership card on the way in is kind of annoying, what’s a non-member going to do walk in and look at your stuff!? It’s not like they are scanning the cards or anything.

At regular retailers I’m opposed to security policies that waste my time. If I’m heading out with a TV and they want to make sure I have a receipt, I’m ok with that if said person is at the door. If they want to check 30 individual items screw that I’ll walk past them. If I set off a door sensor I keep walking, no way I’m going to stand around or go back to a register so they can figure out what they did wrong.

I’ve been a retail manager, I’ve been responsible for loss prevention. I certainly understand the issues. Yes there are thieves everywhere, setting your policies to assume everyone is a thief is fair game. They generally are only going to dwell on the experience if they have time to think about it, if you interrupt them for 30 seconds most won’t care. If you hold them up for 5 minutes, they might never come back.

That happened to me with a jockstrap of all things. Then of course it set off the alarm on my way back into the store and some asshole manger gave me the 3rd degree (along with repeating “Well it set of the alarm coming in”). Never shopped there again.

The convenience store I worked did this with condoms (behind the counter, not locked up) because the neighborhood kids kept stealing them. So the store saved money by reducing shrink while more tax dollars had to be spend on dealing with more little bastards.

If the alarm goes off I’ll stop, but other than that I completely ignore receipt checkers.

That one I actually like: You have to have the card to check out. If you forgot your card and don’t have to show it on the way in, you’re not going to figure out you don’t have it until you’ve got a cartful of stuff already loaded onto the conveyor belt and everybody has to wait while you go to customer service to get a temp card. Making you show it on the way in takes a few seconds of your time but saves several other people five or ten minutes.

I’ve never been stopped and/or questioned about my purchases, anywhere. Ever. In fact, on the handful of times when I’ve tripped the alarm, I have not had my stuff checked. They just wave me on, with a smile. I attribute this to my wheelchair. Im just a good guy, apparently. :smiley:

I won’t go to costco because I have no need to be treated like a criminal.

They should just require you to strip when you enter and then have a cavity check at the end before you can have your clothing back.

what’s stopping you from simply going back into the store and adding some more items to your cart? Or if you’re sneaky you could bring some empty bags, fill them up, and then calmly bypass the checkout and leave. If you’re super-sneaky you could print up a fake cash register receipt. It’s not like they have outstanding security features.

The same place that everyone steals the thing from?

Have you ever worked in retail? There are just too many thieves.

Where I worked, we sold GoPro cameras. Those are like $500 a pound and the retail package is compact. You can’t leave them laying around. They’re not loaves of bread.

If one get’s stolen, poof, there goes your entire profit for the whole store for the day.

Everyone sweating and busting their ass all day, for nothing(from a business perspective).

I find them very annoying and intrusive. If it’s a setup like costco where you agree to it, then that’s part of what you put up with for a discount. But if I’m leaving a store, I’ll let a door person look at the receipt briefly, but that’s it. I’m not going to wait in line or let him dig through my property, if they think I stole something then they can feel free to call the police on me, but I’ve never had that happen. I’m not rude to them, I’ll just walk on out the door saying ‘no thank you’ when they ask if I’ll stop or let them look through my stuff.

Fine with me, they rarely compare the stuff on the receipt to the contents of the cart, anyhow.

To add to this. Retail chains aren’t making completely arbitrary decisions when it comes to locking things up, most the big retailers have loss prevention science down. There are a lot of numbers weighed.

For me it was a constant battle between loss prevention and sales, I was on different sides at different times. When I was responsible for sales I’d have to argue against lock down, no way I wanted to lock up drills over 200 dollars. It will cost a sale if a customer can’t grab what they need and has to find an associate. On the loss prevention side it was the sales have to make up for the shrink, if we are having more product stolen then profited on we’re better off not selling any, lock them up and staff another person in hardware.

It generally doesn’t bother me. I can’t think of any places near me that regularly do it. The only place that did it was the K-Mart near me, and they only started when they had their going out of business sale. I rarely waited for them and just walked out the door.

Exactly my point. They can’t possibly do a thorough check through every large order, but just the act of checking is going to make potential thieves think twice.