Absolute worst odd-numbered Star Trek movie

(Please note: I’m not going to post these every day. But I know there are a lot of Trek fans here.)

From the 8/31 IMDb daily poll:

“Of the odd-numbered – and thus doomed – entries in the Star Trek movie series, which one was the absolute worst?”

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier is way, way out in front. Well, duh. :rolleyes:

I have always hated the sloppy ease that fans fall into by stating “the odd numbered curse” as if it is irrefutable fact.

“Star Trek (I): The Motion Picture” is not a godawful movie. It is overlong and in need of an edit, but is not in the same “bad” category as “Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.”

“Star Trek III: The Search For Spock,” while having the most godawful science of all the films, at its heart, has a powerful message, i. e. loyalty and friendship are worth risking all for, otherwise “the cost would have been my soul.” For those reasons alone, I’d give it a favorable review, but I also love the ending (the sappy part in me).

I know people who despise “the one with those fucking whales” or “the one with Mr. Roarke” in it, etc. Just because most people say there is an odd-numbered curse, doesn’t necessarily mean there is. Depends on what your definition of bad and curse “is is.”

Sir Rhosis

But to answer the OP, yeah “Final Frontier” (IMHO) had few saving graces, perhaps the scene with McCoy and hs father was the only one. Dee Kelly always said “Goddamned” so well (“Khan” and “Final Frontier”)–sort of spat it out in that native Georgian twang of his.

Definitely Insurrection. Sucked. Really sucked. Really sucked a lot. No redeeming value at all other than to show how NOT to make a Star Trek movie.

Doubes on the duh. Scotty knocking himself out cold on the bulkhead sums up everything that was wrong with this movie: bad writing, bad directing, bad slapstick (yes, there’s good slapstick), bad comedy, and William Shatner being vindicative just because he was the director (suffice it to say that Shatner and Doohan have a long history of mutual dislike).

That was Shatner’s idea? I thought it was just stupid writing. What a jerk.

Star Trek V’s sole saving graces are the opening scenes in Yosemite National Park (sigh) and the great music by Jerry Goldsmith (sigh). Other than that, it sucked bilge water SO bad!

One of my filmmaker friends made a very good “MST3K” take-off on ST V that was SO good, I was doing spit-takes while watching the tape. That film SO needed to be spoofed, and he did a fabulous job of it.

So, my vote is for ST V. A truly dreadful film. Some of the other films were bad in a way, or had weak spots, but ST V was a true stinker, through and through.

And yes, stories of William Shatner being a shithead abound. I’m sure some of them are true.

I’ll fifth your duh!

Am I the only one who saw the whole “Let’s have the Enterprise skim the hull of the Giant Ring-Collector Ship as it blows up” thing as a rip-off of the escape from the Death Star II in ROTJ?

Beyond that, the whole movie played like an overlong episode. Several things were pretty cool, but for the most part, it was… just… another episode.

Yes.
:slight_smile:

“Deanna, take us out of orbit!” Riker.
<5 minutes>
“I MEANT INTO SPACE, DON’T CRASH US INTO THE BLOODY PLANET!”
(Riker, drowned out by the crashing noises.)

LV

V

Blasphemy!

The Final Frontier was the only Star Trek movie I actually hated.

In general, yes, I would say blasphemy myself, but in the case of The Voyage Home, I’ve ran across hard-core dress in your Star Fleet uniforms to go to church Trekkies who don’t like humor intruding into their vision of what Trek is.

Actually, to be honest, the only slams I’ve really heard from people IRL about Wrath of Khan is in regard to Montalban’s way-over-the-top Shatnereque performance, which I rather liked in a grandiose way. Plus, now, Judson’s Scott’s early-80s feathered back shag haircut is starting to look rather dated, sort of lke my high school photographs.

Sir Rhosis

TWOK was the best Trek movie ever made.
It also has the best Trek line, Kirk To Khan, looking over his glasses:

“Here it comes.”

Who the Hell is Judson Scott?

Heh. Wonder if they liked “The Trouble With Tribbles,” then?

None about Montalban’s cleavage, though? :wink:

carnivorousplant, Judson Scott played Khan’s sidekick (can’t recall the character’s name).

“Joachim! I shall avenge you!”

"Avenge my Aunt Sally! ‘Don’t go into the nebula’, I said. ‘Shields will be useless,’ I said ‘He tasks me ! He tasks me!’ you said…(croaks)

Actually, I think that guy did die of AIDS. He wasn’t bad, but all of Khan’s guys were too young to be of his sleeper bunch and to old to be their children.

Montalban’s cleavage was real, BTW. A tough guy.

No, that was the guy who played Kirk’s son David who died.

So did the woman who played Carol Marcus. There’s an urban legend here.

Didn’t Khan’s sidekick play the title character in that very short-lived 80’s series The Phoenix?

Kicking this space-puppy over to Cafe Society.

From the IMDb:

Merritt Butrick (David Marcus) died in 1989 of AIDS.
Bibi Besch (Carol Marcus) died in 1996 of breast cancer.
Judson Scott (Joachim) appears to still be with us.

Some great quotes from that movie!

“Commanding a starship is your first, best destiny…Logic clearly dictates that that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.”
“Or the one.”
“You are my superior officer. You are also my friend. I have been and always shall be yours.”

“Khan, you’ve got Genesis, but you don’t have me. You were going to kill me, Khan. You’re gonna have to come down here. You’re gonna have to come down here.
“I’ve done far worse than kill you, Admiral. I’ve hurt you. And I wish to go on…hurting you. I shall leave you as you left me, as you left her: marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead planet. Buried alive. Buried alive…”
“Khaaaaaaaan! Khaaaaaaaan!”

“The ship…out of danger?”
“Yes!”
“Don’t grieve, Admiral. It is logical. The needs of the many outweigh…”
“…the needs of the few.”
“Or the one. I never took the Kobayashi Maru test until now. What do you think of my solution?”
“Spock…!”
“I have been, and always shall be, your friend…Live long and prosper.”