He-Man Fine Whisky

“Produce of India”
WTF?

About 15 years ago in Japan, there was an awful one called Cobra Whisky. But the label was waaaaaay cool. Like a film noir Bogart Sam Spade guy with a tommy gun and a dame. It was awesome. A friend of the family still has the unopened bottle in his collection. I just tried a google search but couldn’t find it.

any Japanese dopers out there ever seen Cobra Whisky?

It still can’t possibly be a worse hangover than a bottle of Mad Dog 20/20, lime-flavored. Ooof.

What I think is strange is that someone would choose to brand a 43% Alcohol Rotgut with a series of toys and comic books marketed towards the 6 to 9 set? Are they thinking, “The kids that were into He-Man & She-Ra in the early 80’s will be drinking-age now… This is bound to appeal to them!”, or what?

I thought I’d check to see if the distillery offers any other unusual liquors. First stop, their website, which was a little disappointing. As a Canadian, I appreciated Legend Rum:

(The underlining is mine. What the hell is “handpicked molasses?”)

As it turns out, their website is quiet about some of the more interesting things about the company-- Looks like their main gig is “Indian Made ‘Foreign Liquor’” and racketeering, and allegations have been made that they have connections to heroin and arms trafficking.

Recently, it was discovered that Som had paid off high-level gov’t folks and the police:

My roomate brought the label home, by the way. She works at an import craft store, and someone was using the labels as packing material. Hundreds of them. There’s a story there, somewhere.

Does anyone know anything else about the Som scandal?

Or alternately, any links to “wrong” liquor labels?