Alien: Isolation (we're not like that other alien game)

That’s kind of why it was frustrating. You’d think CA would have the basics of a TW game down by now, and the problems would just be with new mechanics. But even stuff that worked well in shogun was broken in Rome.

It been getting good but strange reviews.

The overall rating is about 8/10.

Eurogamer gives it 8/10 yet strangely, Gamespot and IGN give it 6/10 when ratings are usually the other way around.

I saw a video of a reviewer playing it, and based on that I’m gonna have to pass. Just watching the video freakin’ terrified me.

I installed and started playing it today. Looks gorgeous even on my mid-range system (i7-860 oc’d to 3.6GHz, Radeon 7950 3GB, 12GB RAM) and defaulted to Ultra settings. The little bit I played ran without a hitch but when the first jump scares started I decided I’d rather wait until it’s dark out and the headphones are on to really absorb the first impressions.

Probably a wise decision. It seems like the type of game where playing it properly could pay off. I can only imagine what it’d be like in VR.
I’m surprised both that you were able to play it before the 7th and that the 7950 3GB is considered mid-range now. Did you take a peek at your frames per second?

Apparently it went live today. People who got it through the AMD offer are complaining because AMD says their agreement doesn’t let them drop codes until the 7th but if you bought from Steam (or elsewhere) I think it’s live now. My key came from Gamersgate (not Gamergate, heh) but I assume it’s the same across the board.

Radeon 9750 is like a $200ish card these days I believe (well, the R9 280 is since they don’t make 9750’s any longer). With the highest end cards running $500+ and people running $250 cards in dual configurations, I thought referring to a single card as “mid-range” was fair. Plus, it’s attached to a old generation processor so for the system as a whole it seemed apt. Afraid I didn’t look at my FPS.

I played 86 minutes last night and have yet to see the Alien. Even allowing for starting screen and cut scene time, that’s still 70+ minutes of wandering a very nicely rendered space station and not much else. That’s getting to be a bit much and I hope it picks up relatively soon.

The game is apparently really well optimized for PC. Mid range cards are posting over 100 FPS at max settings. not sure why the consoles are 30 FPS.

Same thing with AC:Unity apparently. locked 900p and 30 FPS on both PS4 and Xbone.

Apparently the CPU is starting to bottleneck these systems. As Beef predicted 3 years ago :wink:

So is it scary?

Is it too scary? :frowning:

It’s been atmospheric and spooky and a number of jump scares (collapsing debris, popping light bulbs, bursting valves) and a real snazzy scene out the station window but I’m ready for something to try to eat my head now after 70-odd minutes of spooky wandering.

Too bad that first ally never got his freedom.

I am surprised at how well it runs on my Phenom 955 X4, 8GB RAM and 6850. I seem to be able to run everything maxed out. I do wish the FOV went above 75, though; this is the kind of game the benefits from it.

The graphics are quite nice. Adding some bright, rich colors along with the metal sheen gives a good result.

In the comms relay place where you have to hack three computers in a row, does anyone know what you’re supposed to do with the two hacking minigames where:

1. four columns of numbers and letters go up and then down
  2. you have two numbers which you can increase or decrease.
    I have no idea what I’m supposed to do for either. It’s unfortunate that the difficulty in the hacking lies in knowing what the fuck you’re supposed to do rather than skill.

Being surprised by androids who beat up on you is nice though. They way they move really capitalizes on the uncanny valley.
Rapture, er. I mean, Sevastopol is a pretty nice place in that beautiful yet eerie kind of way.

select when the highlighted numbers are in the rectangle - you don’t need to get them all at once, but there may be a limit.

the “balance” one? sure sounds like you’re supposed to get the numbers to match doesn’t it? but it’s something like 55/45. you can just try each position.

I’m playing this game right now on PS4.

At about 3 hours into the main campaign, I’m definitely a little puzzled as to the relative dearth of the…y’know, alien antagonist. As another poster noted, there’s an awful lot of creepy & unsettling spaceship wandering, but I can’t imagine those mechanics lasting for an entire 15-20 hour experience. That said, the alien DOES pop up after a while, so maybe the game will pick up for me after I invest a few more hours.

The story seems pretty great, however, even though the cutscenes - at least on PS4 - are annoyingly prone to stuttering. Kind of an odd hangup, yes, but it definitely bothers me.

Unpron,

I found the problem: It was telling me to confirm with my enter key and wouldn’t accept the numpad one.
Tacos,
They switch it up. The game may have benefited from having more humans to flight but I can see how, after Colonial Marines, they would err on the side of having too few human enemies.
Aside from a few places, the environments and objectives tend to blend into each other. Also, I’m not sure if they really thought that players would stick around in areas just to get tangential story elements when the alien threat is nearly always there. Still enjoyable.

Any idea how they got the real time graphics to be that good? I was impressed by the lighting and reflections.

E.g.:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/cd4034GFaYE/maxresdefault.jpg

So far I’m enjoying it. It kind of reminds me of Dead Space, like, if an updated remake of that game was made (not that DS needs a remake, being already awesome as is).

Just out of curiosity what were the other games affected?

The producers of the game must have either been slow on the bribe money or free pre-copies of the game for all of the reviewers friends and family. :rolleyes:

Just checked and IGN gave the latest CoD a 8.8/10, predictably.
Although IGN does have some good points, most notably not playing on hard, despite the game’s recommendation that you do.

Sniper 3 and Star Citizen I think were the noteworthy titles.