Are there puns that can still work after translation to a different language?

I don’t mean so-called ‘bilingual puns’ where a foreign word is dropped into an English sentence (‘Look at that S-car go!’), but rather, puns or other similar wordplay where the meaning survives translation, even though the translated words are totally different.

So for example, the joke:

Q: How do you greet a snowman?
A: Ice to meet you

If this were translated to another language in the way I am looking for, we’d be looking for words synonymous with ‘ice’ in that language, that also sound similar to a key word in conventional greeting-type sentence in that language.

Obviously this might be easier in languages where the words in question are cognates, so I suppose I’m especially interested in cases where that isn’t so.

Way back in my misspent youth, when I was studying the classics instead of messing around with sex, drugs, and rock’n’roll, we were translating one of the Greek tragedies, or maybe the Odyssey. In this passage, a goddess said to the hero that she was going to spoil him; the double-entendre of “spoil” meaning both “to treat lavishly” and “to ruin” was the same in both languages.

I’m not sure if you’d consider a double-entendre to be a pun, but it’s all I’ve got for now.

Ages ago, when I was living in Budapest, there was a bicycle shop in the Castle district. In Hungarian, “bicycle” is kerékpár and “castle” is vár. So they called themselves Kerékvár.

They didn’t translate their name into English. But the pun also works in English! Bicastle.

There’s a meme that goes around on FB once and a while about a bilingual joke with a pun in both punchlines:

Where do cats go when they die? Purr-gatory.
¿Adónde van los gatos cuando mueren? Pur-gato-rio

Pretty good.

Quoting myself from about a decade ago:

In the French-language movie City of Lost Children, the three main characters (One, Miette, and Kranc) have names with meaning in three different languages: One in English, “Miette” is “crumb” in French, and “Kranc” is “Sick” in German (I think). At one point, One has lost his tiny friend Miette and thinks she’s gone forever, so he’s drowning his sorrows in a bar, and a prostitute is trying to distract him. It’s working, until she says something (in English) like, “Well, you haven’t tried me yet!” and One moans, “Miette!” and starts to sob.

It’s a brilliant bit of translation, because in French the character also says a sentence ending in the sounds “me yet,” so the pun in French also works in English.

At some point, someone on the board tracked down a French script for the movie and found the exact line in French–but I’m having trouble finding where they did that.

That would work in French too:

Ou vont les chats quand ils meurent ?
PURRgatoire !

I don’t “get” the French version…?

It’s the same joke as in english…but I guess it doesn’t work if in French cats don’t “purr”

I don’t think that works, because “purr” isn’t a French word, is it? I think French cats ronron.

What do you call the perfect Cinco de Mayo party?

The “Fiesta Résistance”.

Hmm, for some reason I thought that ‘purr’ was a French onomatopoeia for the purring sound. But it’s more like ron-ron, so the pun doesn’t work.

PurGATOry! (spanish for cat is “gato?”), works too?

??? Did you read post 4?

Oh, sorry, no.

The closest I can think of (and I don’t think this fits the bill) is this English-Spanish joke:

What do you call a January getaway?

Enero escape (where Enero is Spanish for January).

You rang? :slightly_smiling_face:

The pun in Oscar Wilde’s play “The Importance Of Being Earnest” kinda works in the German title “Ernst sein ist alles” too, as “Ernst” is both a male first name and means earnestness or earnest.

I’m pretty sure that in French the title is L’Importance d’Être Constant. Different first name, same idea.

As noted above, this doesn’t work, but the Spanish model does, more or less : le purCHAToire

Just for fun, I came up with this when I read the OP:

- Que dit-on à un bonhomme de neige que l’on rencontre pour la première fois ?
- Enneigé ! (“snow-covered”)

It kind of works because the first and last sounds are the same as the expected word and both have 3 syllables (Enchanté) but it’s… lame and not funny.

I wouldn’t say ‘lame and not funny’ necessarily disqualifies it; puns are often lame and unfunny.

In Catalan they translated it as something like “L’importància d’èsser Frank”, with “Frank” being homonymous with the Catalan word “franc” that means “sincere”.