Ask the entrepreneur who is starting a small business in Shanghai

Rachel,

Why China? has been answered in several posts above. However see here:

The entire river stretch along the Pudong from Shanghai 32 km to the ocean is continuous development of cranes, docks, shipyards, power stations and factories, then you get to the Yangzte and it stretches as far as you can see up that river as well.

China is the world’s #2 economy and has been Australia’s #1 trade partner for some time, so it makes sense for me.

I will pay above local wages in order to recruit ambitious bilingual locals who have some experience in my industry, and I intend to train them to international standards for post production, which is a win-win situation for everyone. And yes I I will use licensed software, I’m a software developer myself and my policy has always been to purchase any software that I use to make money from.

I should have been in Shanghai, then. I’ve been forced to drink enough baijiu to fill the Yangtzhe. Blergh.

Seriously, be very aware of what is around you- it’s not a wide open post-Soviet frontier where any expat wih an MBA can get their foot on the ground floor. There is a lot going on and a number of entrenched and often hidden systems you will be enmeshed with and will be negotiating at a disadantage. I have a lot of friends who have started businesses. Most eventually make plenty for beer, rent and occassional vacations to Thailand. But all deal with setbacks- coming in to find their office looted by employees, training employees who end up startng their own businesses, mysterious beureucratic blocks, friends and employees running off with money needed or the business, etc. And don’t think dealing with expats elimiates these risks.

I hope to hear you’ve been having a ton of fun and making money. But have an open mind and be ready for a lot of learning experiences, good and bad.

<Name Deleted>, you shouldn’t be attempting China when Coremelt Australia is doing so badly… you can’t even answer emails from concerned users of your product in Australia, how will you cope in China??? Concentrate on one market and do it properly, not half-heartedly in several markets, makes you look foolish…

Uh oh.

http://wws.linkedin.com/in/coremelt

Methinks the OP has a disgruntled client or employee.

Posted in haste. Good luck in China.

Well at least his name is not Michael Bolton.

What are, currently, ‘local wages’? Just curious?

Imagine Matt, please do not hand out the real name of any poster, nor any link where the same can be found.

Reported.