Ask the guy with a Facebook profile

I just realized that the OP’s intent was for us to ask him to be his Facebook friends.

Nope, I’m not soliciting “friends”. And ITA that I’m behind the Facebook curve. Keep in mind, I was living in a nursing home while Facebook tooke off.

How many of these people are on your friends list?

But if you’re one of those people. . . nevermind

I think he’s just trying to be cute and get attention.

You know you’re only one of about 500 million people, right?

Covered in Post #14. Don’t tell me you don’t read the replies before you throw a response in! :smiley:

But hey, here’s a question for the late adopter: What do you use Facebook for? Mostly just seeing what people are up to, as an actual tool of communication, making plans with people, etc., or just as a thing because everybody else is there?

I get that.

But you weren’t completely shut out from the outside world were you? I mean, did you have visitors, watch TV, use the internet at all? I don’t want to sound insensitive because I don’t know exactly what being in the nursing home entailed for you - but I find it unlikely that you’d be that cut off from the world even while living there, unless you were completely bedridden/vegetative/etc…and you may have been. Again, I really don’t want to offend… I’m honestly asking.

I use it to reconnect with people I went to school with, and talk to cousins I only normally see at family parties (if then). I also get scoop on gigs my brother’s band does.

I had tv/newspaper access while institutionalized, but not regular personal computer access.

If you didn’t find out that your first boyfriend is now a girl, you have nothing that will rival my Facebook experience.

Next!

I just passed my 6th year on FB so I am actually curious about the new FBer experience:

1. How quickly did the built in friend suggester become accurate (it seemed to get your circles of friends) and then annoying (with how not creative its suggestions were)?
    -FB took a long time figuring this out. It was just by affiliations initially and only really worked the past two years.

2. Have you made any bizarre connections in finding friends from your own different circles who know each other but you can’t figure out how?

3. Has anyone friended you and then dropped?
    -FB seems to have forgotten friends dropped more than ~year ago as I am getting suggestions for friending them again and I am thinking, “wait a minute, didn’t I already friend them?”

1. I just “friended” my HS graduating class, and any family on fb
  2. I have been “defriended”. The keyboardist in my brother’s band knows the daughter of someone who works at the school I went to. Even though they went to the same HS, I never knew 1 married the other’s cousin.

Do you play Yo-ville? Farmville? Have you un-friended anyone?

As noted above, I only play Mind Jolt games. I only delete “friend” requests if they’ve taken a long time.

Unfriending, defriending, or unadding isn’t the same thing as deleting a friend request. It means you’ve already accepted someone, and then deleted them. In my opinion, unless you tell someone that you are doing it and give them a chance to correct whatever is causing the problem, it is a rather dick move. But some people around here swear by it.

I can’t believe someone would be so childish as to defriend you because you were somehow tangentially connected to someone they didn’t like. Well, that’s not true–I’m just disappointed.

I was “defriended” I’d assume, because I was to pushy pursuing a romantic relationship. (Just as well, I live near Boston, she lives near Sin City)

And I gave people several months. In fact, it’s only happened a handful of times (out of nearly 300 friends), mad only because I noticed it randomly while looking at my “friend” list.

A quick word for anyone who plays Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc…

I hate seeing updates from games I don’t play – it’s annoying as hell. That’s why when I post updates from Frontierville, once a week or so I also attach the following to my game post:

Neighborly thing to do and all that. Feel free to steal it…

Okay, you can be my Facebook friend now.

Why were you in an institution/nursing home?

You should start a thread called, “Ask a guy that was institutionalized”

I already started that very thread. (though I said “nursing home” not “institution”)