Bad News: 30 years for Titanic to rust away to a shapless blob

Why, will that cause all the stories to disappear from the newspapers and blogs and morning radio and news sites I do read? If not, what’s your point?

I think I can safely say that spending huge amounts of money to pump oxygen down there to deliberately destroy it would not decrease news coverage of the subject. Rather the opposite; not a recommended plan.

You’re right. OK then, but my other ideas are practical, just and workable, I’m sure you agree?

One of the things about the finding of the Titanic that I absolutely LOVE is the way they completely got this wrong.
For years, people had been telling us that the Titanic, when it was finally found, would be found virtually perfectly preserved, and it would be all in one piece. This was the whole point behind things like the Ghost from the Grand Banks chapter from Arthur C. Clarke’s novel Imperial Earth* (and the later book of that title), and for Clive Cussler’s breakout bestseller Raise the Titanic (Later made into the first Dirk Pitt movie). The extreme cold and lack of oxygen, we were told, would keep the ship in pristine condition. We could possibly re-float i!
Then they find the actual wreck, and send up pictures. It’s in tweo large pieces, and it’s covered in “rusticles” (rust icicles). Despite the fact that eyewitnesses reported and even drew pictures of a busted-in-half Titanic before it went down (as depicted in the Cameron film), no one apparently wanted to believe it, and this detail was conspicuously absent from fiction and films about the sinking prior to the discovery. But even worse was the total failure of the prediction of the ship’s lack of decay.
Whether the media is biased or not, it does have one annoying feature – it never admits that it is wrong, or that it doesn’t know something. If the virtually unanimous statements made on various media outlets are proven incorrect, they won’t tell you about it, but will blithely proceed as if they were right all the time. I can recall no mea culpas about getting the state of the Titanic wrong.

Wait a couple of weeks until the 100th anniversary is past and the media attention moves on to something else?

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

Man, thats just cold.

Yeah…kind of gives a sinking feeling.

Yes, it does, but my heart will go on.

Regards,
Shodan

I prefer this version:

Wait–it sank?!

[Tosses flowers into trash can, walks sadly away from Pier 54]

One of the hits being this thread. Thanks.

Go to the Chelsea Hotel. That’s where the survivors are staying.

What people on this message board get overheated and pissy about astounds me. The 100th anniversary of the sinking is coming up, of course there’s going to be stories about it. Read something else. Go outside and talk a walk. Have a juicebox and a nap.

I must be doing it wrong, because I get 44,200 hits for the last 24 hours.

Why don’t we have a sappy love movie based upon the Andrea Doria? That would be more interesting…or maybe the recent Costa Line accident.
There would be more time for Jack and rose to get it on.

Yes, but there have been almost 30 stories about it across the internet in the last 24 hours! Sure, there have been about 30,000 stories about other crap during that same timeframe, but 30 whole stories around the 100th anniversary of the most talked about maritime accident of all time? That’s insane.

Worse News: It won’t take *me *30 years to become a shapeless blob…

When I saw the words “Titanic” and “shapeless blob,” I thought of the movie script.

Ouch! Move over, Rex Reed!