Becoming famous by frequently repeating something mundane/useless.

Well, actually I had to include his first name, Don, in the google search. Use those Search terms – Albuquerque + nudist + Don – and there he be.

The “everything will send you to hell” preacher who’s a fixture at State & Washington in Chicago. This guy. Surprising that not everyone’s amused by telling every bloody passerby that hom-o-SEX-u-als are going to hell.:rolleyes: Again, not a surprise.:smack: By the way, when Old Navy moved to the other side of Marshall Field’s, Preacher-man stayed, so I guess he’s the Gap Preacher now. :slight_smile:

Young folks won’t remember this, but in the Sixties, there was an old lady named “Mrs. Miller” who was constantly in the audience for TV talk shows, variety shows and game shows. Merv Griffin always pointed her out and saluted her when she was in his audience

The ONLY thing she was famous for was being part of the live audience for various TV shows.

Houston Oilers fans may remember the late Bill “Mojo” Lackey

He wasn’t much more than an assistant equipment manager (he spent most of his time collecting and washing dirty uniforms), but he became a mini-celeb by doing a silly dance whenever he ran on the field to bring a new ball or to pick up the kicker’s tee.

And old-timers in Dallas remember “Crazy Ray” at the Cowboys’ games.

A man named Joseph Charles became famous by standing out in front of his house in Berkeley, waving and smiling at all the passing cars.

For many years Pittsburgh had Bob Lansberry, a guy who wore a sandwich board complaining that he couldn’t get his mail. He also believed the CIA was monitoring his every move.

I often talked with him. He was intelligent, articulate, but a little nuts. I bought him a sandwich, and sometimes a beer on several occasions.

To the average New Yorker, Moondog was just another street eccentric, notable for performing in midtown instead of Washington Square Park. But of course there was much more to him than that.

Sweet Sweet Connie made famous in the Grand Funk Railroad’s song, We’re an American Band. I actually met her on a flight from Little Rock to Dallas back in the late 80’s. She was on her way to Van Halen. Very nice lady, offered me a topless photo of herself, promising me that I could use it to get backstage at the Van Halen concert.

How about “Morgana the Kissing Bandit”? That bimbo with the giant boobs who used to run on baseball fields and try to kiss players?

Northern Nevada has at least two.

Glenn Lucky, a guy with CP who has been riding his 3-wheeled bike all over Tahoe and Carson City for the last 40-odd years. Rain, snow or sun, he rides a reported 40 miles a day. I’ve met him, and he is an inspiration. He just cannot be stopped.

The other guy was know as “The Walker”. He walked between Reno and Carson and would wave to every passing car. He also traveled around the west and even wrote a book about his travels. Don’t recall his real name, and he was kind of kooky, but well known in the area.

Just thought of Barry Bremen, a wiseacre who gained some fame for being able to sneak into major sports and show biz events.

Once, during the Emmy broadcast, he ran up and collected a trophy that was supposed to go to Betty “Hill Street Blues” Thomas.

Another time, he went onto the court in warmups during the NBA all-star game, and took shooting practice with the players.

Here in La La Land, we have Angelyne, who is famous for for “being famous.” She’s had billboards up in Hollywood promoting herself for years with no discernible actual talent or career.

Greg Packer makes a point of being at celebrity appearance events in the New York area, often first in line, and has been photographed or interview dozens of times as a result.

Wait, a nudist named Don? That is just not right.

Whilst not declaring the end of the world, one of the most famous of the billboard men was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Green with his ‘Less lust by less protein’ er idea. I can remember my dad pointing him out on a trip to London in the early 70’s.

I think that makes three things she’s famous four, and two of them are not insignificant.

Hooray! I rode the red line in the late 80s and early 90s and loved seeing Cool “Disco” Dan all over.

Should have been named Dolph.

Oliver R. Smoot

When I was a kid there was an old fashioned newspaper seller who always stood on the same street corner. He had a standard cry that he emitted every 15 seconds or so but he had been doing it for so many years that it had become completely unintelligible. He vanished at some point in my teens but I can still hear what he used to say in my head. It was something like “yamadgee doomadgee”.

Given that the papers he sold were the “Courier Mail” and the “Telegraph” I have no idea how he arrived at his cry. But it didn’t matter because he was such an institution that everyone knew what he meant.