Computer Gamers: What are you playing these days?

I’m still pouring a ton of time into Oblivion. Once I get tired of that I will give Bioshock a whirl – hopefully my hardware can hold up. Also, my sister gave me a bunch of my nephew’s PS2 games (he is being punished and she gave me all his rated M games), so maybe “Black” and GTA: San Andreas – I haven’t really done any PS2 stuff in a LONG TIME…

Just finished playing Overlord. Had a heck of a lot of fun. More games should made with a “minion” feature.

WoW, Brood War, some Civ 4, and occasionally the original Master of Orion via DosBox. My video card is too old for Bioshock.

Starcraft 2, like all modern Blizzard games, will be for both platforms.

You might’ve meant it wouldn’t have the horsepower to run it though.

Bioshock, Splinter Cell double agent, Fear,

Just moved from WoW to EVE, enjoying the change of direction and pace.

Beyond the Sword. The lawn will be mowed one day.

Psh. Water restrictions are on right now. Let 'em take care of the grass for you.

Civ IV - Beyond the Sword, with a little bit of Vanguard thrown in for good measure.

The only thing I’m particularly looking forward to is the Neverwinter Nights 2 expansion, which is, as I recall, coming out this week, actually!

Fallout2 from the bargain bin. I’ve been playing it on and off for about 2 months, but, when I do have the time, it’s pretty fun.

WoW

sigh

For a change of pace, Halflife2 or CivIV.

I have S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but haven’t been able to get into it.

Tried the Bioshock demo, was underwhelmed.

Medieval II: Total War, without the expansion- with school in, I play maybe an hour or two per week, so it didn’t make sense to put money in on the expansion. Maybe this summer, when the price drops.

I’ve played EU II and although I like the genre I didn’t care for the massive micro managing needed to handle any empire larger than Venice. I also didn’t care for the ridiculous alliances and declarations of war every other turn, “What’s that? The Denmark-Tunisian-Zulu-Shogun alliance declared war on the American Natives again?” Have they done anything to fix these problems?

Rhye’s and Fall will be the reason I miss the leaves changing colors.

I’m playing Civilization I . 16 years old and still going strong. :slight_smile:

I’m heavy into WoW now, as I sometimes am; when that dies off, back into Civ 4 and I’ll start up Europa Universalis 3.

I stopped playing “GTA San Andreas” out of frustration with having to spend two hours developing swimming skills.

I have recently begun playing Half Life 2, having pleasantly discovered that it runs fairly well on my laptop. Aside from that, some weird goofy puzzle game where you have to try and bounce a little ball off of everything on the screen, with pictures from Half Life 2 in the background and your character being a unicorn. Or something.

After you’ve played the expansion a bit, can you give us your opinion on it? I’ve played CK off and on since it was first released, and the latest patches have helped a lot. I’m curious to hear how the expansion plays.

I would say a qualified yes to both. A certain amount of micro-management is still there with large states, but it is a bit less burdensome than before due to some interface improvements.

Diplomacy is also more intelligent and more smoothly implemented IMHO. If you ask me, I’d say that all around it is a smoother interface and more robust game engine. However…

It is not the same game as EU II - in fact it’s much more like CK now. Gone is all of the historical derterminism and that makes for some unusual happenings that annoy some folks. For example if you start in 1453 prepare yourself for a super-Burgundy, super-Lithuania and super-mega-Ming China. Really there is a whole slew of new things to nitpick about the game :).

As always there are extensive mods designed to address various issues.

Sure :). No guarantee it will be this weekend though - might be next. Folks are already chattering about it over at the Paradox forums and the initial reception seems positive. Since patch 1.05, I think it has been an excellent game, but then it feeds directly into my interests.

I loved this when it was called Master of Orion 2 … which, yes, I still play “these days” even though newer titles like GalCiv2 and Civ4: BTS are readily available. Occasionally I’ll even get a game of Alpha Centauri going, but MOO2’s rapid pace keeps me coming back to it even ten years after its release. Most 4X games are just too involved, and while I think that’s a great thing for the genre, my gaming interests have become increasingly more casual over the years, and MOO2 still strikes that balance of strategy and pace that allows me to whip through a game quickly rather than turning it into some massive campaign. Kinda like chess. I guess I like single-serving strategy.

As far as newer titles go, I am dying in anticipation of Valve’s Orange Box release on Wednesday. Team Fortress 2 is a lot of fun, but I doubt it’ll have the entertainment value for me that Episode Two and Portal will. TF2 will be a great new supplement at the few small LAN parties I rarely attend, but the painfully mysterious narrative of HL2’s story is one of my favorites, and both Episode Two and Portal look set to expand on that story in a great way. I may revisit the original HL2 as well, now that the Orange Box release is adding some graphical improvements to the original game to give it a freshened look. I’ve also played Adam Foster’s single-player HL2 mod “Minerva: Metastasis”, and would like to suggest it as mandatory for anyone with a passing interest in Half Life. It’s a remarkable fanfic, and all done by a single, brilliant guy. Why Valve hasn’t hired Mr. Foster yet and paid him a lot of money is a mystery.

As far as titles on the horizon that I’m looking forward to, the only one that immediately springs to mind is StarCraft 2. It’s so exciting to see this classic getting translated into modernity with the level of detail that only Blizzard can supply. The funny thing is, when they first unveiled it over the summer, I was giddy with excitement and spread the news to as many people as possible, one of whom was a 12-year old son of one of my friends, and a WoW devotee. I don’t play WoW, but I figured he’d be excited for the long-awaited sequel too, assuming that his enthusiasm for WoW might encompass other Blizzard properties as well. His reaction? “StarCraft 2? Oh. Cool.” And then I think he probably went to go play WoW. It was only after wondering how he couldn’t possibly be more excited that I realized I was seventeen and he was only two when StarCraft came out, and that he’s probably never actually played it. For some reason, I felt very old that day.