Creationists Call for Debate

Navigator said:

Oh, sure we did. We’re not sneaking in, are we? :wink:

Well, I have to tell you that I generally don’t respect the creationist point of view. I’m sorry, but that’s just how I see it. This is not to say that I would not be friendly towards creationists (to steal a phrase, some of my best friends are young Earth creationists), but, well, there you have it.

garsh… I can’t type when I’m irritated can I…

please excus my horrible typing.

Jon, I see a couple disrespectful posts in this thread, mostly from Palm Cove (who was not around for previous incidents and can therefore plead ignorance). The other posts have been responses to Poly’s invite.

You say none who have posted here have learned. I say you are wrong. As evidence I offer Polycarp, Dr. J, and Gaudere. Jk1245’s post was entirely reasonable for someone whose only experience with message boards of this type is here.

I’m not sure why you took offense to Brian’s slightly tongue-in-cheek comment. Perhaps it was just Palm Cove’s?

I intend to use this thread, as long as David and Gaudere wish it to remain open, to comment on the other. This is because I do not wish to interrupt the Bruces thread with asides. I have no such compunctions in this thread.

I’m sorry if you will find my comments to be rude or disrespectful. I assure you, if I ever want to insult someone, I do so in person.
Now, then. Manny, thank you for providing those Jefferson quotes.

andros:

you are quite right… ‘knee-jerk’… mea culpa…

Just try to remember that despite our more conservative beliefs that we are people too, and deserve respect not ridicule.

I welcome all of your comments and inputs, but I don’t think we need to start a thread like th 700 post monster on either board.

Peace.

No harm, no foul, Jon. :slight_smile:

Navigator said:

I don’t mean to be pushing this issue, but I do want to point out that I don’t respect anybody just because they exist. People need to earn my respect. Many (probably most) creationists have not. I’m sorry, but that’s my honest feeling.

so all humans are cretins until DavidB speaks?

Come on David, I’m not sayng you have to respect their arguments… I’m saying respect their feelings.

I may or may not have earned any of your respect, and frankly I don’t care one way or another. But I do think that every person has a right to be able to speak and post without getting ridiculed because they may not have the ‘correct’ theory down as far as origins or any other subject.

YMMV.

Navigator said:

By George, I think he’s got it!
:wink:

Okay, but that’s different from respecting them, which is what you seemed to indicate earlier.

Oh, sure ya do. I know better than that. :wink:

To a point, yes. But there does come a point where, IMO, all that goes out the window. It thankfully doesn’t happen often, but it does happen and, frankly, did happen on the LBMB. Hopefully it won’t happen on LBMB2, but we’ve already got a guy there saying evolution is a big conspiracy between scientists, atheists, and the ACLU – it’s all I can do to not laugh out loud!

I think I need to add something here. I probably won’t post in the Creation thread, mainly because I’m WAY out of my league there. (Give me a good government thread any day.)

However, I’ve been over on the Pizza Parlor for several months now. And I want to stick up for all of them. I am OPENLY who I am over there. A pro-choice, liberal, PAGAN. And no one has commented on it megatively. Yes, I disagree with damn near everyone over there. And I know this, and so do they. But we all respect each other. Hell, even after sharing a VERY dark secret with some of them (Nav, you know what I’m referring to), they still like me.

I think that’s all Nav is asking for…some respect. ou may disagree with all of them. That’s fine. But at least respect the person behind the screenname. In short, “Don’t Be a Jerk.”

Falcon said:

Not to be harsh to them, but I doubt you’re out of your league (from what I’ve seen so far, anyway). For one thing, one of the main players has said he doesn’t want to get into the science aspect of it!

My God! They’ve gotten to you! Quick, call in the anti-brainwash crew! :wink:

You shared a secret with them that you didn’t share with us? Now I’m hurt…

Again, there are different types of respect. I will respect their rules and will not be a jerk (nor was I the first time around, even when I was not so obvious with who I was). I do not, however, respect the way many of them think. The only way that can change is by them, well, changing the way they think. And I doubt that will happen. :slight_smile:

I think that you guys have presented some sound points throughout this debate.
I would have loved to participate, but every time I see “Mr. Anderson” all I can think of is Nemo in the Matrix.

If I may ask without seeming overly ignorant or naive, what is the goal of the ‘other’ debate? David B says:

“The only way that can change is by them, well, changing the way they think. And I doubt that will happen.”

So, if this is the case, then why bother? We’ve seen the creationist vs evolutionist arguments here. I’ve certainly seen them elsewhere and gotten into a scrap or two IRL. The end result is often the same: a lot of hurt feelings (since the arguments quickly become emotional) and no ground gained on either side (figuratively speaking).

Basically, I guess I’m looking for the intent before I offer up my services on the side of evolution (theistic or otherwise). I’d just as soon not get involved if it’s going to be a mudslinging-fest.

It seems to me that one could argue that we should give the Pizza Parlor people the level of respect that they show to us, not the respect that you show to us. Since one of them has already cast aspersions on the intellectual integrity of evolutionists, without doing anything to back his accusations up, then I can’t say that the Pizza Parlor folks are giving me a warm, welcoming feeling.

-Ben

I think that this is a straw-man, if an inadvertent one. If I ridicule someone, it’s not because they disagree with me on a point of science- it’s because they are a willfully ignorant, arrogant know-it-all.

-Ben

Davyboy said…

Isn’t there an aspect of Orgins that isn’t ‘hard science’ but pure philosophy?

Ben: ahh… come on we all know evolutionists are evil… You all revel in it. :wink: (just kidding, trying to get my licks in…)

Seriously, debate issues, and if someone puts up a falsehood like that, please debunk it, but don’t disparage. That is all I’m axin.

To paraphrase Satan/NYCNative, God (or the lack thereof) help us all…

As opposed to an ‘intelligent, arrogant, know-it-all’…

If you want to go mano-a-mano with someone invite them to your Pit… We don’t got one o those, nor will we have one…

Navigator wrote:

Of course we’re evil. That’s why we’re called “evilutionists.”
Speaking of which, check out the delicious recipe for Anomalocaris Noodle Casserole at the University of Ediacara’s website. (Anomalocaris is an extinct ocean predator that lived in the paleozoic era. Its diet included trilobite.)

Ben
Not that I agree with their arguements, but to start throwing out a Sraw-Man while you are basing an opinion of a complete community on one poster is playing foul. The SDMB posters have been invited in. No one has been banned yet.( Las Vegas Odds has NYC Native 2-1 to be the first).

You are doing what you accuse them of. Closing the mind to any arguement.

I’ll take those odds!